PDA

View Full Version : training and age

xolix
08-23-2013, 08:09 AM
hi, i am 35 now , i feel my joints sometimes and tendons hurts , it begins ;-) . so when i am getting older how should i train ? is the westside barbell training good til the end ? or kills it my joints more and more if i train and compete raw ? is it smarter to go on a program like 531 where i don't go to the max every week ? i also have a job (stonemason) where i must lift heavy sometimes and my hips , knees and back are working hard ..

which trainingstyle is better , is the conjugate method ideal because of strengthing the tendons , or is there a faster ruin of my joints ?

i mean specially the squat / deadlift training .

Buccos1
08-23-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm close to 40 and have been training harder than ever the past few years. (I've been consistently training for 28 years too.) Recently, I adopted a lot of Westside principles in my training and have been making progress (at a lower bodyweight) and have felt better all-around. I have issues with my elbow, forearm and both knees, as a point-of-reference. I do squat in loose briefs year-round, which I think helps keep me "healthy."

The one thing I try not to think about is "getting older." The one thing I do think about is training correctly, and efficiently. I've had some recent injuries, but many of them have to do with another hobby: bending steel, and not powerlifting. I won't look at age as a limiting factor, just as a reminder to train smarter.

MarcusWild
08-23-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm 36. I've had periods where I train raw for months or mostly in gear. I find raw lifting much harder on muscle recovery and geared lifting worse for CNS and joint recovery. Mixing raw and geared seems to work the best.

vdizenzo
08-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Focusing on recovery and being smart/instinctive with your training will go a long way.

JK1
08-25-2013, 01:06 PM
I'm 36. I've had periods where I train raw for months or mostly in gear. I find raw lifting much harder on muscle recovery and geared lifting worse for CNS and joint recovery. Mixing raw and geared seems to work the best.

For me, raw work hurts the tendons over time. Single ply is about right, and two plyl just beats the crap out of my joints.

Mixing it up seems to work best though.