PDA

View Full Version : ME Rotations

Paulo_Santos
09-03-2013, 02:16 PM
I've been rotating 8 exercises for my upper and lower body days, but I was wondering if there are any negatives with just rotating bench press and press on upper body days and back squats and Deadlifts on lower body days? I was thinking about just doing this for 8 weeks to see if it works or if I stall. The only reason I want to try this is because I really like doing those lifts the most and I read somewhere that for raw lifters, it is better to keep the rotations down to a few exercises.

Thanks in advance for your help.

RFabsik
09-03-2013, 04:12 PM
I think this depends on how advanced you are to your body. If you are a beginner (an I know you are not), then every other week would work well. The more advanced the tougher it is to pursue lifts directly in a linear fashion.

I think this is where programs like 5/3/1 keep the linear model but prevent the overkill/stagnation by changing the rep ranges or intensity of load without changing the exercise.

This past summer (Chris might bludgeon me for this and Jim Wendler might scoff), on my ME days, I've been doing a 5/3/1 variant:

Week 1: Bench and Squats 5's
Week 2: Press and Deadlifts 5's
Week 3: Bench and Squats 3's
Week 4: Press and Deadlifts 3's
Week 5: Bench and Squats up to a 5/3/1 single
Week 6: Press and Deadlifts up to a 5/3/1 single.
Week 7: Restart or Deload based on how I feel.

I still do DE work per Westside models. And on days I'm feeling good on the ME days, I'll do 1-2 heavy singles after the 5/3/1 work. I follow Westside like assistance work.

Paulo_Santos
09-03-2013, 07:43 PM
I think this depends on how advanced you are to your body. If you are a beginner (an I know you are not), then every other week would work well. The more advanced the tougher it is to pursue lifts directly in a linear fashion.

I think this is where programs like 5/3/1 keep the linear model but prevent the overkill/stagnation by changing the rep ranges or intensity of load without changing the exercise.

This past summer (Chris might bludgeon me for this and Jim Wendler might scoff), on my ME days, I've been doing a 5/3/1 variant:

Week 1: Bench and Squats 5's
Week 2: Press and Deadlifts 5's
Week 3: Bench and Squats 3's
Week 4: Press and Deadlifts 3's
Week 5: Bench and Squats up to a 5/3/1 single
Week 6: Press and Deadlifts up to a 5/3/1 single.
Week 7: Restart or Deload based on how I feel.

I still do DE work per Westside models. And on days I'm feeling good on the ME days, I'll do 1-2 heavy singles after the 5/3/1 work. I follow Westside like assistance work.

Something like that, except I would be maxing out. I'm going to give it a try for 8 weeks and see how I feel.

chris mason
09-03-2013, 10:07 PM
8 is too many in my book and 2 is too few. I would go with 3-4 exercises and rotate them weekly. There is no harm in doing an exercise a couple of sessions in a row if you get the bug.

vdizenzo
09-04-2013, 07:08 PM
8 is too many in my book and 2 is too few. I would go with 3-4 exercises and rotate them weekly. There is no harm in doing an exercise a couple of sessions in a row if you get the bug.

Agreed

Stumprrp
09-05-2013, 04:55 PM
We use 4 on the bench and 4 on the squat. 1 of those bench days is shirt. closer to the meet this changes as your in the gear more.

ScottYard
09-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Agreed

Double agree

Invain
09-05-2013, 08:11 PM
I don't like constantly rotation shit too often. I'll work on the same ME movement for 2 or 3 weeks; sometimes a little longer if I'm trying to bring up a weakness. I think some guys put too much of an emphasis on constantly doing something different and neglect working on the actual 'main' lift.

Paulo_Santos
09-05-2013, 10:10 PM
I don't like constantly rotation shit too often. I'll work on the same ME movement for 2 or 3 weeks; sometimes a little longer if I'm trying to bring up a weakness. I think some guys put too much of an emphasis on constantly doing something different and neglect working on the actual 'main' lift.

I'm going to try this for about 8 weeks and see how it works.