PDA

View Full Version : Zercher Squats

GazzyG
09-03-2013, 03:57 PM
In order to get some extra squat volume in, whilst at the same time trying to ease the strain on the old back, I've started doing Zercher Squats.

Four/five weeks back, 60kg(132lbs) was unbearable because of the pain in the arms.

They've toughened up now, lol.

Here's a video of today's session!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kQKlBHvwRU

thecityalive
09-03-2013, 05:57 PM
No link.

BULK_BOY
09-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Nice job mate. Love the Zerchers. Haven't done them in a dog's age. Thanks to you I'm gonna have to reintroduce them.

Cheers.

GazzyG
09-04-2013, 03:18 AM
No link.

Yeah, the link won't show on mobile devices, think it's because of the music.

Nice job mate. Love the Zerchers. Haven't done them in a dog's age. Thanks to you I'm gonna have to reintroduce them.

Cheers.

Thanks bud! Great movement and certainly make a nice change.

KevinStarke
09-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Zerchers are awesome and if you wanna load the weight up and you have some extra cash you should invest in a zercher harness. I have one back in my CT gym that I forgot to bring back up with me but there a lot of fun and definitely save the arms. Awesome squats man definitely makes me wanna do em again.

GazzyG
09-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Zerchers are awesome and if you wanna load the weight up and you have some extra cash you should invest in a zercher harness. I have one back in my CT gym that I forgot to bring back up with me but there a lot of fun and definitely save the arms. Awesome squats man definitely makes me wanna do em again.

Cheers Kevin!

I actually quite enjoy using the arms. Sure, it's a bit painful, but the looks you get from other people in the gym - they're like, 'you must be mad!' Haha!

KJDANEXT0
09-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Hello

Zercher squats are my favourite squat lift.

I've done over 170kg for reps on zerchers. My legs got pretty big and strong as a result.

Some stuff I'd like to share with you from MY experience:

Keep reps on zercher squats really low. 3 sets of 3(sets across) where my primary reps. Use 3 sets of 2 for when you want to lift a few kgs more. I rarely did max singles. 3 sets of 5 I've used sometimes, but found that I get winded when the bar presses on my stomach for a set of 5. Never do more than 5 reps even in a warm up.

I also liked to paused every rep. Started doing it by habit but then it just stuck. Builds great starting strength. Dont pause long, 1-2 seconds.

Most people I've seen doing zerchers have a wide enough stance, but I only used a very close stance. More ROM which means more work for the quads. More work=huge quads.

And not really a tip, but the stand that you unrack from should be abit higher. The bar should be at waist level I'd say. You don't want to waste energy doing a half rep during the unrack.

I hope any of these tips can help you out in some way.

When I get back to lifting in a few months ill make a zercher video, then try to break 200kg

Nice lifts by the way

Alinshop
09-30-2013, 07:28 AM

We have a harness at our gym and it makes front squats so much easier.

By the way....nice work!:thumbup:

GazzyG
10-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Cheers for the comments, all, shall take everything on board, for sure.

Discovered the joys of high rep Zerchers today; quads will be sore tomorrow!