PDA

View Full Version : I got a treatment for my shoulder. How do I rehab?

KJDANEXT0
09-10-2013, 11:52 AM
I've had an injury of the left shoulder for months which got worse from me training on it.

Went to see a doctor about 2 weeks ago, said the injury wasn't too severe and gave me some sort of injection, possibly cortisone but I didn't ask.

I did a second sesh a week later and got another injection. The doctor said that I just have to keep icing it for a few days and it should get better.

So now the shoulder is alot better, but still not 100%. Since my muscles there have been wasting away for 7 months I suppose that I need some form of rehab to bring it back to health.

Currently, my left shoulder feels good with pain only coming when I reach fully overhead. I also have slightly less mobility in it than my right shoulder.

Do I need to rehab this shoulder? What light excercises could I do to get it back into shape? I guess the best thing to do to work the shoulder would be HEAVY overhead press(I'm joking)

Edit: I don't have any serious equipment to work with, just some light dumbells and some metallic thing which is meant to replicate a band(albeit with way more resistance).

Brian Hopper
09-12-2013, 05:03 PM
I would probably work on band dislocates, band pull aparts, wall slides, front-side-rear laterals, DB overhead presses and alot of rotator cuff movements. Maybe use light weights for higher reps and then build up from there.

ScottYard
09-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Have you taken off at all? I tore my shoulder up and was hell bent on pushing on. I did this for 2 months and nothing changed. I then took off until it didn't hurt to wash my hair. That took 7 weeks. I wish I didn't waste those 2 months not resting. Rest first rehab later.

KJDANEXT0
09-14-2013, 02:00 AM
@Brian

Ok. One question though.

When doing these movements you've recommended how would I gauge how my workouts are going? I know that I shouldn't be feeling pain while doing this, but should my muscles feel a little worked and tired or not? I have absolutely no idea.

@Scott

Honestly its only been about 3 weeks since the BEGINNING of my injections, so I do think that I'll need more time to rest. The pain that I described when reaching overhead in the first post is now gone, and that's after just resting for a few days.

The last thing I want is to re-injure this shoulder, which would be a waste of time, money and muscle mass(which I'm lacking right now)