PDA

View Full Version : Competitiveness among training partners

Travis Bell
10-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Good thing or a bad thing?

Personally I thrive on it. I love being competitive with my training partners. That said we have a really good group of guys at Westside and it doesn't get taken too far. However there is still a large amount of trash talking, challenges and what have you. It's a lot of fun.

I have seen groups blow apart because they were overly competitive with each other to the point of annoying.

What do you guys think?

Paulo_Santos
10-22-2013, 09:48 AM
As long as it is just for fun and it doesn't get stupid, it is a good thing and very motivating.

Rock1984
10-22-2013, 03:51 PM
All the time, every session.

Part of the reason I'm there is pushing others, and being pushed by them.

Brian Hopper
10-22-2013, 03:56 PM
I train alone 95% of the time, so I'm always competing against myself!

ScottYard
10-22-2013, 07:02 PM
I love it. I have a guy who pulls about what I do and its nice to go back and forth and push each other. We talk shit endlessly among the group all night. Without the shit talk the gym would be boring.

MarcusWild
10-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Honestly, it's one of the biggest benefits of doing ME twice a week with a group. Everyone is pushing each other. I've seen it cause people to go too heavy on DE day though. People need to keep the ego in check, so it stays fast.

Travis Bell
10-24-2013, 09:03 AM
That's an important distinction Marcus. On DE day it shouldn't be about competing.

I will admit though training partners keep you accountable on DE day though. It's easy to slip into a pretty relaxed pace on days when you aren't trying to hit a PR

I've trained by myself before in the past and nothing will replicate the level of intensity that do or die competition creates.

The trick is not being threatened by someone else's success. Usually when things get out of order is when someone is upset that someone else beat them. That's something that has never bothered me. Rather is really drives me to train harder. I remember it every time I hit the gym.