PDA

View Full Version : Contrast Training

Paulo_Santos
11-17-2013, 05:51 AM
Anyone incorporate Contrast Training into their programming? I read Lee Boyce's article and I tried to incorporate the contrast training, but I can't seem to get the volume right. Sometimes I feel that I'm doing too much and sometimes I'm not doing enough. Here are some sample days:

ME/DE Upper:
1. Main lift/Speed Bench

RE Upper:
2. Chest or Heavy Triceps SS/Plyo Pushups: 4 sets each
3. Back SS/Kipping Pullups: 4 sets each
4. Shoulders SS/Wall Ball Throws: 3 sets each
5. Triceps SS/Banded Triceps Pushdowns: 3 sets each
6. Biceps SS/Banded Biceps Curls: 3 sets each

ME/DE Lower:
1. Main lift/Speed Squats

RE Lower:
2. Quads SS/Jumping Air Squats: 4 sets each
3. Hamstrings SS/Banded Hamstring Curls: 4 sets each
4. Lower Back/Glutes/Hamstrings SS/Box Jumps: 3 sets each
5. Core SS/knees-to-Elbows: 3 sets each

So that is it. Any suggestions/changes?

Usually I do:

ME/DE Upper:
1. Main lift/Speed Bench

RE Upper:
2. Chest or Heavy Tricrps: 5 sets
3. Back: 5 sets
4. Shoulders: 4 sets
5. Lats or Rear Delts: 4 sets
6. Triceps: 3 sets
7. Biceps: 3 sets

ME/DE Lower:

RE Lower:
2. Quads: 5 sets
3. Hamstrings: 5 sets
4. Lower Back/Glutes/Hamstrings: 4 sets
5. Core: 4 sets

ScottYard
11-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Anyone incorporate Contrast Training into their programming? I read Lee Boyce's article and I tried to incorporate the contrast training, but I can't seem to get the volume right. Sometimes I feel that I'm doing too much and sometimes I'm not doing enough. Here are some sample days:

ME/DE Upper:
1. Main lift/Speed Bench

RE Upper:
2. Chest or Heavy Triceps SS/Plyo Pushups: 4 sets each
3. Back SS/Kipping Pullups: 4 sets each
4. Shoulders SS/Wall Ball Throws: 3 sets each
5. Triceps SS/Banded Triceps Pushdowns: 3 sets each
6. Biceps SS/Banded Biceps Curls: 3 sets each

ME/DE Lower:

RE Lower:
2. Quads SS/Jumping Air Squats: 4 sets each
3. Hamstrings SS/Banded Hamstring Curls: 4 sets each
4. Lower Back/Glutes/Hamstrings SS/Box Jumps: 3 sets each
5. Core SS/knees-to-Elbows: 3 sets each

So that is it. Any suggestions/changes?

Usually I do:

ME/DE Upper:
1. Main lift/Speed Bench

RE Upper:

ME/DE Lower:

RE Lower:

What's your goal and desired result of the split?

Paulo_Santos
11-17-2013, 07:25 AM
To put on size, which I thought was the idea behind the contrast training. And also to work in some plyometrics exercises.

April Mathis
11-24-2013, 01:50 AM
Usually I do:

ME/DE Upper:
1. Main lift/Speed Bench

RE Upper:

If your main goal is to put on size no way you are doing enough volume on upper body stuff. 5 sets to hit back? Should be more like 15-20 sets if you really want to put size on upper back. Same thing 5 sets of chest/triceps should be at least a couple exercises of 4-5sets each for chest and one or two exercises 4-5sets each for triceps after benching. You need to split this up into at least 2 separate days. So like: bench/chest/triceps and back/shoulders/biceps or something like that, or 3 days if you want to split it up more.

ME/DE Lower:

RE Lower:

This is actually not bad. Could also do a second squat or deadlift movement or a leg press or something like that if you want, depending how many sets you do on your main lift which I do not know.

I saw the other idea you want to change these things to, but I don't think the plyometric things you're choosing are the best options for what you say your main goal is to put on size. But if you specifically want to get better at those things then do them somewhere in there too.

Paulo_Santos
11-24-2013, 03:42 AM
If your main goal is to put on size no way you are doing enough volume on upper body stuff. 5 sets to hit back? Should be more like 15-20 sets if you really want to put size on upper back. Same thing 5 sets of chest/triceps should be at least a couple exercises of 4-5sets each for chest and one or two exercises 4-5sets each for triceps after benching. You need to split this up into at least 2 separate days. So like: bench/chest/triceps and back/shoulders/biceps or something like that, or 3 days if you want to split it up more.

This is actually not bad. Could also do a second squat or deadlift movement or a leg press or something like that if you want, depending how many sets you do on your main lift which I do not know.

I saw the other idea you want to change these things to, but I don't think the plyometric things you're choosing are the best options for what you say your main goal is to put on size. But if you specifically want to get better at those things then do them somewhere in there too.

Thanks for the reply. On the volume that you mentioned, I do upper body and lower body twice a week: ME and DE Upper, ME and DE Lower, so I'm guessing that is going to be enough volume as you suggested. So for back, I often do 18 sets per week. And for my main lifts, I generally do: 5,5,5,3,1,1,1,1, and maybe another one if the 4th one was light.

Falcon63
11-27-2013, 07:37 PM
I've heard good things about it, but I didn't work out for me when I tried it. No real increases in explosion or speed. I seem to get more from simply jump roping (in terms of lower body speed, at least).

April Mathis
11-28-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the reply. On the volume that you mentioned, I do upper body and lower body twice a week: ME and DE Upper, ME and DE Lower, so I'm guessing that is going to be enough volume as you suggested. So for back, I often do 18 sets per week. And for my main lifts, I generally do: 5,5,5,3,1,1,1,1, and maybe another one if the 4th one was light.

yes sounds ok