PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Effort Only

vdizenzo
12-09-2013, 07:13 AM
Getting ready for this strongman I have quickly figured out I have become weak in my core and posterior chain from taking a good 6 months off from really squatting and deadlifting (albeit with a trap bar and ssb). I did this so I could recover for benching so I could get that 600 raw at 275.

Being that I have two ruptured discs in my back, one completely ruptured and repaired biceps, and another partially not repaired I need to be cautious how I enter back into these exercises. I was considering doing solely dynamic work with the squat and deadlift (along with other assistance of course). My thought process is, I have never hurt myself doing dynamic work. In addition, considering I drive through my legs so hard to bench, could the dynamic work of squatting and deadlifting enhance that ability. Plus it would just be a good way to get my body adjusted to those exercises again.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Travis Bell
12-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Are you trying to do the DE lower stuff to help your bench or help your strongman training?

vdizenzo
12-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Are you trying to do the DE lower stuff to help your bench or help your strongman training?

Bench. Strongman is only a one shot deal for fun. It's going to a good cause. I do want to add, a focus would be to keep bumping the numbers up as long as I can keep them fast.

ScottYard
12-09-2013, 06:46 PM
If I was a bench only guy I would not squat or pull at all lol. I would put that emphasis into cardio and core work. prowler and sled work weekly.

vdizenzo
12-09-2013, 08:26 PM
If I was a bench only guy I would not squat or pull at all lol. I would put that emphasis into cardio and core work. prowler and sled work weekly.

I hate not squatting and deadlifting. It has made me weak. No prowler, had one and sold it. Dug up our lawn too much. I have a sled, but I just can't get motivated to get heavy with it. Plus, you certainly know how much the winter blows.

April Mathis
12-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Getting ready for this strongman I have quickly figured out I have become weak in my core and posterior chain from taking a good 6 months off from really squatting and deadlifting (albeit with a trap bar and ssb). I did this so I could recover for benching so I could get that 600 raw at 275.

Being that I have two ruptured discs in my back, one completely ruptured and repaired biceps, and another partially not repaired I need to be cautious how I enter back into these exercises. I was considering doing solely dynamic work with the squat and deadlift (along with other assistance of course). My thought process is, I have never hurt myself doing dynamic work. In addition, considering I drive through my legs so hard to bench, could the dynamic work of squatting and deadlifting enhance that ability. Plus it would just be a good way to get my body adjusted to those exercises again.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Even though I hate the traditional dynamic work, I actually think this is a good idea. The reason is because it forces you to start light and make smaller jumps going back up (plus decent amount of volume if you don't like doing many reps per set by doing multiple sets of low reps instead). That's probably the most important thing in not going super heavy too fast and risk injury again. Besides, you always have the option of working up heavier on any given day that feels good.

vdizenzo
12-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Even though I hate the traditional dynamic work, I actually think this is a good idea. The reason is because it forces you to start light and make smaller jumps going back up (plus decent amount of volume if you don't like doing many reps per set by doing multiple sets of low reps instead). That's probably the most important thing in not going super heavy too fast and risk injury again. Besides, you always have the option of working up heavier on any given day that feels good.

Yep, that was my thought. Thanks for the contribution April.

Travis Bell
12-11-2013, 01:16 PM
I squat and deadlift, but on a much lower intensity scale than I do bench. I don't know that DE squat only will help much in the way of benching but if it keeps you squatting and healthy at the same time that might be a win win

vdizenzo
12-12-2013, 05:39 AM
I squat and deadlift, but on a much lower intensity scale than I do bench. I don't know that DE squat only will help much in the way of benching but if it keeps you squatting and healthy at the same time that might be a win win

Maybe I'll work it up into a higher percentage sometimes like some of the CAT work I see lately. I may also do a finisher set of reps here and there.