PDA

View Full Version : strength and conditioning coaching cert?

krazylarry
12-10-2013, 03:16 PM
I know it's been posted before,
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/threads/159540-Would-a-degree-in-health-sciences-aid-me-in-becoming-a-strength-and-conditioning-coac?highlight=coach
But I have the opposite problem. I have a S&C job at my MMA gym. I got it the Judas way, by helping the fighters with their lifting and getting results. I do however have a BS in bio. So the cert is really more of business thing, just throw few extra letter after my name, and impress people who don't know better.

So what would be a good one to get? Cheap and easy, like my last girlfriend lol, would be a plus.

Only one I have found is http://www.nsca.com/Certification/CSCS/#section%201 this is the one Alex has, so hey if its good enough for him its better than I deserve.

vdizenzo
12-10-2013, 05:05 PM
People cannot agree on most certifications, but the CSCS is the gold standard so I have been told.

Mark!
12-10-2013, 07:20 PM
I'm planning on going through NSCA for my S&C and Tac certifications in the future. If nothing else but for the education.

Jonathan E
12-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Any benefit to getting certified in an area such as this? (Besides if you want to become a personal trainer or coach). Seems like something interesting and valuable to have, but unaware if people are applying it in different ways.

Mark!
12-10-2013, 08:57 PM
My goal is to eventually coach some local football players at the high school and actually be able to do it in an official capacity, instead of just volunteer based. The owner of a local gym is also always asking me to help out with some new people on form and such and tells me if I ever get certified he would throw some clients my way for some part time work.

Jonathan E
12-10-2013, 10:09 PM
My goal is to eventually coach some local football players at the high school and actually be able to do it in an official capacity, instead of just volunteer based. The owner of a local gym is also always asking me to help out with some new people on form and such and tells me if I ever get certified he would throw some clients my way for some part time work.

Very cool. Good luck with all of that. Would the high school hire an official strength and conditioning coach, or would you jump into a position coach also?

Mark!
12-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Very cool. Good luck with all of that. Would the high school hire an official strength and conditioning coach, or would you jump into a position coach also?

Right now, the school I've been working with in the off season just does S&C. The district allows outside people to come in and work with them on volunteer status, some other larger districts around here don't allow that and you have to be certified by the state of Texas as a teacher and be a full time employee at the school, which I don't plan on ever getting my teacher certification. I have my limits on being a college student and teaching full time high school kids. (Right now off season stuff we do is on a want to basis, so luckily we've got a badass group of kids yearning to learn and get stronger/faster.) Some people are blessed like Vincent in that area, I however, am not. Being in law enforcement I've often thought about working for a school as a resource officer, but again, my patience is often tested already.