PDA

View Full Version : Dips?

ScottYard
12-22-2013, 04:51 AM
Im trying to add dips back in to my bench day. Im thinking of using the catapult(slingshit type thing)

Dips irritate mtshoulders but build my tris . Any one else doing this?

Mark!
12-22-2013, 05:21 AM
I've been working up on bw dips but I do use the sling shot for dips every now and then. I strained a pec pretty bad about a year ago so mentally it's just in the back of my mind, the sling shot helps with that, and alleviates any shoulder discomfort as well.

tom183
12-22-2013, 03:13 PM
I've tried it. It didn't help me get any stronger at doing dips but I can definitely see it being useful for working around an injury.

vdizenzo
12-22-2013, 07:07 PM
I believe partial dips were popular with some of the bigger benchers at WestSide back in the day. Hopefully Travis will chime in.

Travis Bell
12-22-2013, 09:04 PM
I think Kenny messed around with them back in the day but not for extended periods of time. But yeah Vin is right they did partials.

Everyone struggles with shoulder health seems like if they are used too long. For me there are just too many other ways to help my bench that don't bang me up so much.

halfsquat
12-23-2013, 06:13 AM
Well my bench is no where near yours, Scott but I do like dips. I don't have a slingshot (thinking of trying one though) but something I've used on dips before is to stretch a band across the dip bars and under my knees. This lets me start "light" and work up to full body weight dips. After a couple weeks of this I can usually get rid of the band and even start adding weight. I usually work dips for only 4-6 weeks before switching to something else.

Brian Hopper
12-23-2013, 03:23 PM
I mess around with dips, but not with a slingshot. I do partial dips like Vin and Travis talked about, just so I don't mess up my shoulders. It definitely hits the triceps pretty good.

ScottYard
12-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks for chiming in everyone. I'm going to give this a try.