PDA

View Full Version : NateDogg's A Small Window into My World Journal

Pages : [1] 2

NateDogg
07-22-2002, 11:43 AM
Well, I am finally going to start an online journal. It should be no problem keeping it up, workout wise anyway, as I write down all my workouts anyway. I already posted my new routine in Training but I will post it again here with a couple of changes. My back has really been bothering me lately. I think I will be off to see a doc soon, but I am going to give it a couple weeks or so with as little stress as I can put on it, while still lifting. Then re-evalulate. That said, here is the routine I will be starting with:

Day 1 - Legs
Leg Extensions 5 sets of 5
Leg Curl 5 sets of 5
Donkey Raise 5 sets of 5
Please keep in mind here that I am leaving out deads and squats for now to hopefully allow my back to heal. I will add them in slowly if/when my back does feel better.

Day 2 - Active Rest/Rest

Day 3 - Chest/shoulders
Weighted Dips 5 sets of 5
DB Bench Press 5 sets of 5
Incline BB Press 5 sets of 5
Military Press 5 sets of 5
Lat Raise 3 sets of 10

Day 4 - Back
Weighted Pull-ups 5 sets of 5
Close Grip Rows 5 sets of 5
Reverse Flye with DB's 3 sets of 10

Day 5 - Active Rest/Rest

Day 6 - Arms
BB curl 5 sets of 5
DB curl 3 sets of 5
Close Grip Press 5 sets of 5
Skulls 5 sets of 5

Day 7 - Active Rest/Rest

I might throw some cardio in there too. Man I hopemy back feels better soon, I REALLY miss deads and squats.

I will be eating pretty much how I have been eating for the last 6 months. Eating every 2 to 3 hours, with the goal being to never be hungry. Getting ~200 grams of protein, most from chicken, steak, tuna, 1% milk and whey. 250+ grams of carbs, most from vegetables, fruit, brown rice, 1% milk and oatmeal. ~50-75 grams of fat, from steak, natural PB, peanuts, 1% milk and flax.

To give an idea of strength, my personal bests:
Conventional Deadlift = 315 for 5
Below Parallel Squat = 270 for 5
DB Bench Press = 90lbs each for 5
Dips = bw + 80lbs (total 265) for 5
Pull-Ups = bw + 27.5lbs for 5

Those lifts were at:
5'10"
185 lbs
bf ~ 12-15%

Hoping to continue to put on lean mass. Although for the next couple weeks I just hope to have a healthy back. This journal may go by the wayside if I end up having to back off the lifting for a time :cry: but we shall see I guess...

Tonight I am off to the Ted William's Tribute at Fenway Park with a bunch of friends. Are any of my fellow WBB "Massholes" planning on attending?

The routine will be continued (I actually started it a week or so ago) with chest and shoulders tomorrow night.

Until next time...

NateDogg

edited to add Milk to list of mostly eaten foods.

heathj
07-22-2002, 11:49 AM
Good luck boi :thumbup:

Silverback
07-22-2002, 12:13 PM
positive move starting a journal :)

hope your back heels as soon as poss.

waterbuckat
07-22-2002, 12:38 PM
Where is the pain in your back? What was the first evualation?

NateDogg
07-22-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by waterbuckat
Where is the pain in your back? What was the first evualation?

The pain is mostly right above my tailbone.

I guess I should have said evaluate, as the first "evaluation" was me saying to myself that something does not feel right and laying off the heavy low back stress work.

Hellrazor
07-22-2002, 04:38 PM
I`ve never tried 5 sets of 5, I`m interested to see how it works for you, i may try something like that for myself soon. Good luck !

NateDogg
07-22-2002, 09:36 PM
Thanks for all the support fella's!!

Hellrazor, 5X5, and a lot of food, did wonders for me earlier in this year. ~15 lbs, most of it muscle, and increases in all of my lifts. Gonna give it another shot after some time away from it.

Vynod
07-23-2002, 10:09 AM
I need a change. May be I should also try this 5 X5. But my first guess would be that 5X5 with heavy weights would help you gain strength rather than size???
How long have you been lifting, your lifts seem to be good.

NateDogg
07-23-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Vynod
I need a change. May be I should also try this 5 X5. But my first guess would be that 5X5 with heavy weights would help you gain strength rather than size???
How long have you been lifting, your lifts seem to be good.

I have been lifting for quite some time. I would guess 7 years or so. However, up until the end of last year, beginning of this year, I was not lifting intelligently, nor was I eating nearly enough food.

Yeah, 5X5 has mostly helped with my strength I think, but being new to lifting correctly and eating, my sixe increased sufficiently as well.

The Cardinal
07-23-2002, 10:52 AM
Nate, did you benefit from any of the prohormones or prosteroids you may have tried (just curious since I had pretty good success with some)?

NateDogg
07-23-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by The Cardinal
Nate, did you benefit from any of the prohormones or prosteroids you may have tried (just curious since I had pretty good success with some)?

:confused:

I did not, nor have I ever, nor will I ever, use any sort of performance enhancing drugs.

waterbuckat
07-23-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by NateDogg

The pain is mostly right above my tailbone.

I guess I should have said evaluate, as the first "evaluation" was me saying to myself that something does not feel right and laying off the heavy low back stress work.

you try just icing it? could be an inflammation. That and a lower back strecthces healed me. I just layed on the ground with my back on the floor and pulled my righ tleg to my chest for 30secs to a min, then left foot. then both feet, then over my head, then my right leg over my left leg and twisting my back, there isn't any name for that stretch so I don't know if you know what im talking about. What felt tha tgreatest was bringing my feet over my head while I was laying on my back........ After a couple days I barely never have anymore lower back pain and I ahd it for about a year........

waterbuckat
07-23-2002, 11:19 AM

:confused:

I did not, nor have I ever, nor will I ever, use any sort of performance enhancing drugs.

:withstupi

Silverback
07-23-2002, 11:57 AM
do you class creatine as performance enchanching drugs?

NateDogg
07-23-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Big-Ron
do you class creatine as performance enchanching drugs?

I would not, simply because creatine is found in food, i.e. steak, which many people eat.

NateDogg
07-23-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by waterbuckat

you try just icing it? could be an inflammation. That and a lower back strecthces healed me. I just layed on the ground with my back on the floor and pulled my righ tleg to my chest for 30secs to a min, then left foot. then both feet, then over my head, then my right leg over my left leg and twisting my back, there isn't any name for that stretch so I don't know if you know what im talking about. What felt tha tgreatest was bringing my feet over my head while I was laying on my back........ After a couple days I barely never have anymore lower back pain and I ahd it for about a year........

I have iced it, but not consistently. I am not going straight to the doc's only because I think that suggestions such as yours may help. I just have to go and do them, and let my back rest :cry:

NateDogg
07-23-2002, 06:44 PM
Well, the Ted Williams Tribute last night was awesome. Great to see all the old ball-players out there celebrating a great career in baseball, and John Glenn and others helping to celebrate him as a war hero and giant in the battle against cancer, in support of the Jimmy Fund. Made a lot of great memories there.

On to today!
Ate ok today. Not enough protein I don't think as we needed to go food shopping badly. Got that out of the way though so I'm good to go. Chicken breasts on the Foreman right now, rice in the microwave after I finish this! *Goes to check on chicken* :D

Pretty good workout. Intensity was definitely very high. I was kind of suriprised that I got up for it that much as I had felt kinda sick all day. Workout lasted just under an hour. Including warmup.

Chest/Shoulders

Dips:
set / weight / reps
1 / 100 / 12
2 / 185 / 5
3 / 265 / 5
4 / 265 / 4
5 / 260 / 5

These were at a bw of 185, the numbers reflect such. For example 100 lbs = 185-85 (85lbs were assisted for a warmup set) They felt great! Needed a little help with the last one on the 4th set, so dropped down to 260 for the last set and had no problem at all.

DB Bench Press:
1 / 50 / 5
2 / 60 / 5
3 / 80 / 5
4 / 80 / 5
5 / 80 / 3

After killing myself on dips, these were tough. Needed some help to get to 5 on the last couple sets, then didn't even get close on the last one. Looks like I migth have to drop to 75 next time as the dips really took A LOT out of me. No problem though.

Incline BB Press: ~ 30 degree incline
1 / 115 / 5
2 / 125 / 5
3 / 135 / 5

Again, these were freakin' tough as well. As you can see I dropped two sets due to the intensity I figured out I could generate using just three, after 10 other sets for chest. Might even tinker with it a bit more as, obviously, I had little left in me for these.

Military Press (seated):

1 / 95
2 / 95
3 / 95

Same as above, I was dead tired, especially after involving front delts so much in inclines. Might tinker with this as well.

DB lat Raise:

1 / 15 / 10
2 / 15 / 10
3 / 15 / 10

These felt real good too. Good squeeze at the top.

All in all I was happy with it. Back hurts a little now. Going to ice it, take a warm bath, then stretch before bed.

Questions? Comments?

Gonna check out some of the rest of the journals to try to get some format help.

Later!

NateDogg

NateDogg
07-24-2002, 12:28 PM
Just talked to my S.O. Since we try to work out together as much as possible (she is a strong and cut up 110 lbs @ 5'0" I love it ;D and love to work out with her), I am taking today off and will work out with her tomorrow as she is working at her other job tonight.

Eating really well today.

Chest is pretty sore from yesterday.

Later.

NateDogg

Raven Blade
07-24-2002, 12:56 PM
S.O.???

NateDogg
07-24-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Raven Blade
S.O.???

significant other

NateDogg
07-24-2002, 08:11 PM
The Red Sox are currently down 9-5 to the freakin' Devil Rays, mid-8th inning. :bang: :bang: :bang: I really hope they pull this one out, or it's going to be two in a row to that lowly squad!

Oh yeah, I ate awesome today. Except for a little piece of ice cream cake (stupid office b-days). Well, helped keep my calories up I guess. Not real worried about it. Had nothing but chicken, holy $****, I'm cooking chicken on the forman right now! *sprints into kitchen to rescue chicken*

*comes back* the chicken is ok! :thumbup:

Anyway, food...

7:30 - egg-whites and a whole wheat Thomas' bagel (highly recommended, 10 grams of fiber!) with natty pb on one half and fairly low sugar jam on the other.

10:00 - cottage cheese

12:00 - chicken breast, brown rice with olive oil on it

3:00 - chicken breast and a little broccoli

4:30 - few handfuls of peanuts

7:30 - ham and light cheese sandwhich on 100% WW bread

9:30 - huge glass of 1% milk

!0:00 (now) - another chicken breast.

How does that look? I figure that's roughly 200 protein, 50 fat, 150 carbs. Now that I look at it, if my estimates are even close, that's only around 2000 calories. I gotta eat more!!!!!

Raven Blade
07-25-2002, 11:18 AM
I know, it's a bitch to eat healthy AND rack up the calories. At lunch yesterday I was chowin down 2 cans of tuna mixed with a cup of brown rice with a little salsa to liven things up and I was barely choking it down. Hope I have better luck today!!! :burger:

p.s. Boston's doing fine this year.. they can afford a few losses!!

NateDogg
07-25-2002, 11:53 AM
Thanks bro,

I threw in three whole eggs to go with my egg whites this morning, that should help. I also, unfortunately, had a tuna salad sandwich for lunch :bang:. I guess I'll live, and that had PLENTY of calories! Yup, another chicken breast with brown rice in about an hour :rolleyes:. I am also trying to drink more 1% milk as that is quick, decent calories.

On another note, I am f'n pysched for the gym tonight. I really have to try to keep myself from getting too pumped during the day to avoid a let down when I finally do get to the gym. Back day today. Gotta top that bw + 27.5 for 5 reps. Going for at least +30.

Hopefully the Sox season will matter. Although articles I have read recently give me hope that there will be an agreement without a work stoppage for the first time in baseball history.

NateDogg

Raven Blade
07-25-2002, 04:37 PM
Are you trying to gain weight then? I kinda am but only if it's lean. Summer just isn't the best time to gain weight as my appetite is much lower and I'm doing way more outside sports wise.

NateDogg
07-25-2002, 05:36 PM
Are you trying to gain weight then? I kinda am but only if it's lean. Summer just isn't the best time to gain weight as my appetite is much lower and I'm doing way more outside sports wise.

I have pretty much been trying to put on weight all my life. I have ALWAYS been quite lean, so I have never had to worry about diet all that much. Of course, I eat quite heathily anyway as that's just what I do.

NateDogg
07-25-2002, 05:45 PM
Well, another high intensity workout tonight, as I sit here drinking my full serving of N-Large :D Stuff is actually pretty good, even in just water! Here goes...

Back

Weighted Pull-Ups:
1 / 133 / 10
2 / 145 / 5
3 / 210 / 5
4 / 215 / 5 GOT THAT BW + 30
5 / 217.5 / 5 THEN TOPPED IT!

Enough said about these, I was psyched!

Close Grip Row:
1 / 90 / 12
2 / 120 / 5
3 / 165 / 5
4 / 165 / 5
5 / 165 / 5

These felt good, started to get really heavy at the end. Making sure form is perfect due to my back pain. It felt pretty ok though.

Reverse Flye w DB's:
1 / 15 / 10
2 / 15 / 10
3 / 15 / 10

These felt pretty good too. Going to try to do them on an incline bench next time so's to stress my low back less.

Hypers:
1 / bw / 10
2 / bw / 10
3 / bw / 10

These felt pretty good too, back didn't hurt...much.

Later!

NateDogg

NateDogg
07-25-2002, 05:59 PM
Ok, well it's later...kind of...Sox are up 2-0 in the 3rd and Pedro is looking good, so I'm happy :D

Time for the diet low down before I remove the ice from my back and go hop in the tub...

Ate A LOT today, I think anyway, we'll see...

7:30
8 egg whites + 3 whole eggs
WW bagel with natty PB and fairly low sugar jam

10:00
cottage cheese
light strawberry yogurt

12:00
Tuna salad sandwich...I know, I know tuttut. It was the lesser of a few evils though I guess, and had good protein :D

3:00
couple handfuls of peanuts

3:45
Large chicken breast
brown rice

7:00
50 grams dextrose and malo total (post workout)

N-Large2 full serving

*looks back to try to add up those macro-nutrients*

looks to me like roughly...
200 protein again
close to 300 carbs
60 or so grams of fat

So that's closer to 2500 cals or so...that's better. Hey, if anyone thinks I am WAY off on any of these, throw in your $.02. If not, as long as I am happy with my weight (that it's at least not going down) and BF (that it doesn't get too high), then I really don't care too much about it.

Later...really this time, gotta go soak my back...

NateDogg

Raven Blade
07-26-2002, 11:11 AM

7:00
50 grams dextrose and malo total (post workout)

Are you getting your dextrose with smarites? Shite, I can't find them up here!!!

NateDogg
07-26-2002, 11:30 AM

Are you getting your dextrose with smarites? Shite, I can't find them up here!!!

Damned straight! I love em! My only advice to you would be to go find a bunch of different sugary candies and see which ones of them may have dextrose and or malo.

BennettBoy
07-26-2002, 11:33 AM
Bro I love smarties and was trying to remember where I read on here to eat 2 packs to get you 50 grams dextrose. You sold this works? I need to do SOMETHING to make my post workout carb intake better to restore the glycogens.

NateDogg
07-26-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by BennettBoy
Bro I love smarties and was trying to remember where I read on here to eat 2 packs to get you 50 grams dextrose. You sold this works? I need to do SOMETHING to make my post workout carb intake better to restore the glycogens.

It has worked great for me. It is a perfect source of simple sugars for post workout and they taste freakin' awesome!!!

MonStar
07-26-2002, 12:33 PM
I use to swear by Smarties / Sweettarts postworkout as well. Both worked for me. When I was bulking up I would eat 2 big rolls of Sweettarts which came out to like 96g carbs coming from dextrose / maltodextrin.

Raven Blade
07-26-2002, 12:35 PM
Sweet Tarts..... I know we have those up here. We have smartie like candys too but usually only around Halloween.

NateDogg
07-26-2002, 07:47 PM
Ok, I went out with the guys and gals from work tonight and had a few LIGHT beers. The place to be for folks from my work, after work, is closing it's doors in a couple of weeks. I'll try to remember what I ate today...

8 egg whites
oatmeal with 1% milk ('bout 1.5 servings of oatmeal)

blueberry, light, yogurt
2% cottage cheese

chicken breast
1 serving (or so) of WW pasta

chicken breast
few handfuls of peanuts

5:30 - 8:00
5 light beers

gonna be a very lean steak.

Well, I am too lazy, and too preoccupied with my steak to worry about how many calories and macronutrient values that day contained. I'll either worry about it tomorrow, or not worry about it and start tomorrow.

PS, I have to go into work tomorrow night at 8:00 PM, to do some testing to make sure nothing is broken...lucky me. I think I'll make out ok for doing it though...

LATER!!!

NateDogg

NateDogg
07-26-2002, 08:10 PM
Eating steak = :drooling: This thing is f'ing awesome!

Silverback
07-27-2002, 02:12 AM
what do you do with 8 egg whites? microwave them and eat them straight? just wondering, keep the journal going nate :)

NateDogg
07-27-2002, 06:28 AM
what do you do with 8 egg whites? microwave them and eat them straight? just wondering, keep the journal going nate :)

I just put em in an olive oil covered pan and cook them up on the stove. Sometimes I'll put some ketchup on them, or sometimes some cheese, always a little salt though.

MonStar
07-27-2002, 08:46 AM
Was reading your training program NateDogg and I meant to ask you, how is the 5x5 stuff working out for you?

Silverback
07-27-2002, 01:34 PM
yeah 5x5's sounds interesting give us an update maroon

NateDogg
07-27-2002, 06:47 PM
5X5 has worked very well for me so far. I have gained both mass and strength from it, combined with eating a ton of course. I'm still not huge by any stretch, but it has worked better than any routine I have tried so far. I'll keep my journal updated of course, so you guys can see my progress. When I started it (5X5) at the beginning of this year (mixed 6 weeks of HST in there recently, then back to it a couple weeks ago), my important 5 rep max lifts were:

DB bench 70 for 5
Deadlift 275 for 5
Squat 230-240 for 5

In about 4 months those went up to:

DB bench 90 for 5
Deadlift 315 for 5
Squat 270 for 5.

I was very happy with that. Since then, with my sore back, I have not squatted or deadlifted in a month or so. I am working with it with ice and heat every day and will continue to do so until I can either squat and deadlift pain free, or have to go to the docs.

NateDogg
07-27-2002, 06:53 PM
Ok, now on today. Pretty roller-coaster day for me so stay with me here :D

Well, I woke up this morning...we are out of coffee. I go outside to get into my Jeep to go get some coffee. I notice that my rear speakers have been ripped out of the Jeep. I was not all that upset because I did not like them there anyway, but still I was dismayed at the type of people who do things like that, and the crappy neighborhood in general that I live in.

Then I get to go golfing :D I shot ok I guess, forgot about my speakers for a bit, but I have just been pretty down all day about...well...for one thing...I'm at freakin work right now to run tests. Yeah, it's 9:00 on a Saturday night. Whatever I guess though right. I also haven't been to the gym today. I'll go tomorrow to do my leg extensions and leg curls :rolleyes: Can't wait until I can do heavy leg lifting again! Well, that is pretty much my day so far. Also feeling crappy about my $ situation. Sometimes I feel like I am never going to get out of the apartment I am in with my girl, just because it is so expensive we are having trouble saving $ for a house. I'm going to make a more conscious effort to save money though. Cut back on some things, and maybe get a second job. We'll see. I hope we can start testing soon so I can get out of here!

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
07-28-2002, 01:10 PM
Well, it's been pretty active day, between golfing this morning (mostly active because I usually run to my ball) then biking about town looking for parts for my Jeep that needs inspection soon. No, I did not get to the gym, but I'm ok with that. Will definitely go after work tomorrow. Diet has been reasonable today. I haven't eaten as much as I have wanted to, but I'll eat some more as the day goes on and get up into an acceptable range for me.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
07-29-2002, 05:26 PM
Ok, well I just got back from the gym and my "leg workout." Went well I guess. I'll post that in a bit. Back had been feeling better until I stepped in a hole I did not see when walking and now it hurts in two places. I expect the new one to go away very soon though. Again, we'll see I guess. I ate well today...here goes that part...

8 egg whites
WW toast with natty pb and fairly low sugar jam

9:30
couple handfuls of peanuts

some leftover chicken stir fry my g/f made last night :drooling:

12:30
6 oz of lean steak
brown rice

4:00
chicken breast
WW pasta

Going to go and have 1/2 serving of N-Large, then a large glass of milk and a chicken breast a couple hours after that. Overall, not bad. Wasn't hungry all day and that is generally my minimum goal as far as daily diet is concerned.

NateDogg
07-29-2002, 05:41 PM
Now for tonight's workout.

I did not warm up for too long as 1...it's about 95 degrees here, and 2...I had been walking around a lot before I went to the gym. So, couple minutes on the treadmill + 10 minutes stretching.

Legs

Standing Leg Curl:
1 / 25 / 12
2 / 30 / 12
3 / 45 / 5
4 / 45 / 5
5 / 45 / 5

Not bad, not sure if I like the machine though, not used to using this stuff...

Leg Extension:
1 / 75 / 12
2 / 120 / 12
3 / 165 / 12 (got a little carried away here)
4 / 195 / 5
5 / 195 / 5

I actually did used to do these, still like 'em.

Donkey Raise
1 / 140 / 12
2 / 140 / 12
3 / 200 / 5
4 / 200 / 5
5 ---------

Of course I used to do these too. The new back injury hurt a bit on the second to last one, so I skipped the 5th one.

NateDogg
07-30-2002, 10:00 AM
Well, I got some awesome potential apartment news yesterday. A very close friend of my g/f, and a friend of mine grandparents own an apartment that is apparently very similar in size to the one that we are in now (quite substantial in size). Originally, she was going to move into the apartment once her brother moves out, in a year or so. However, she has decided to stay at home with her parents and her young daughter, and she said we can have it! Get this...$300 bucks a month, utilities included. About 1/3 of what we are paying now, without utilities included. Our lease will be up for renewal again in August and if all goes according to plan, we're out of here and into the new place. :D It needs some paint and stuff I have been told, but I love that stuff anyway and would be quite happy to help out so when we move out, they can charge more for it if they want to.

MonStar
07-30-2002, 10:02 AM
Well, I got some awesome potential apartment news yesterday. A very close friend of my g/f, and a friend of mine grandparents own an apartment that is apparently very similar in size to the one that we are in now (quite substantial in size). Originally, she was going to move into the apartment once her brother moves out, in a year or so. However, she has decided to stay at home with her parents and her young daughter, and she said we can have it! Get this...$300 bucks a month, utilities included. About 1/3 of what we are paying now, without utilities included. Our lease will be up for renewal again in August and if all goes according to plan, we're out of here and into the new place. :D It needs some paint and stuff I have been told, but I love that stuff anyway and would be quite happy to help out so when we move out, they can charge more for it if they want to.

Sweet deal man. Jump on that $300 a month for an apartment. Haha all the ones that I have looked at are close to $600-1000. :eek::eek:

NateDogg
07-30-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by MonStar

Sweet deal man. Jump on that $300 a month for an apartment. Haha all the ones that I have looked at are close to $600-1000. :eek::eek:

Yeah, I could not believe it! It's farther from work than I am now, but I'll have a new car by then anyway, so I won't care as much. Our main goal right now is to save for a house, which this will speed up immensely!

MonStar
07-30-2002, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I could not believe it! It's farther from work than I am now, but I'll have a new car by then anyway, so I won't care as much. Our main goal right now is to save for a house, which this will speed up immensely!

Yeah man good luck with it. ;);) Dont you love when great things like this happen in your life? Always makes me happy.

NateDogg
07-30-2002, 07:02 PM
DIET:

8 egg whites
WW bagel with natty PB and fairly low sugar jam

Harvest Bar
pint of 1% milk
***was desperate here, had to find something in the cafe at work

WW pasta
8 oz steak

3:00-5:00
chicken breast
large very healthy salad (romaine lettuce, etc)
light yogurt
***pretty much grazed on this and spread it out over that time

8:00
2 packs Smarties

8:30
3/4 serving of NLarge2 with water

later tonight, chicken and a beer :D

WORKOUT:

Chest today, got all messed up the last week or so and ended up skipping arms.

Dips:
1 / 100 / 12
2 / 185 / 5
3 / 265 / 5
4 / 265 / 5
5 / 265 / 4

Did not feel particularly good. Got a great negative trying to get down after my forth rep on the last set to start the 5th one, was already dying by then!

DB Press:
1 / 50 / 12
2 / 60 / 5
3 / 80 / 5
4 / 80 / 5
5 / 80 / 3

I have to get 80's 5 times next time I just have to!

Incline BB
1 / 135 / 5
2 / 135 / 5 with a healthy spot
3 / 115 / 5

Wasn't going to get 135 three sets, should probably have rested a little longer and gone with 125 though. Very sad poundages on incline.

Military Press (seate):
1 / 105 / 5
2 / 100 / 5
3 / 95 / 4

Very tired shoulders after all that chest work. These felt great though, might be sore tomorrow.

Lat Raise:
1 / 15 / 10
2 / 17.5 / 10
3 / 17.5 / 10

15's were no problem today. 17.5 was perfect. May try 20's next time, but seated so I do not have to support my back as much...segway...back felt eeerrrrr, ok today. Just really tight, not painful, just not right. Can bend over fine and everything like that. Still waiting to see what's going to happen with it. Iced it again tonight, followed by a contrast shower (alternating hot and cold), will take some ibuprofen as well. Going to skip golfing this week to avoid that strain.

On another note, ordered supps today from www.affordablesupplements.com
Two 6 lb tubs of HDT vanilla whey (the company is not actually HDT, but I believe that is what they are labeled as on the affordable site)
2.2 lbs of Pro33 or something like that, vanilla whey. Wanted to try it as it seems to be very popular and it comes with a free shaker (sweet).

LATER!

NateDogg

NateDogg
07-31-2002, 04:44 PM
Ok, no workout today. Get to sit around and be lazy :D. I did walk around the mall for a bit :rolleyes:. Anyway...diet...

8 egg whites
2 whole eggs
3/4 cup oatmeal with 1% milk

light yogurt
***should have had more here.

chicken caeser salad with a little dressing

chicken breast
WW pasta

6:45
Going to be a bowl of Hormel Turkey Chili. Stuff tastes great, has great macros and very few additives.

9:00 or so...
Going to be sweet potato and lean steak...mmmmm...

Well, gotta go eat :D!!!

Oh yeah, delts and chest are both a little sore today. Chest workout was awesome. Delts were dead after chest, but still did what I wanted to do.

LATER!

NateDogg

BennettBoy
07-31-2002, 04:52 PM
Is that Hormel Turkey Chili in the soup section of grocery stores?

NateDogg
07-31-2002, 04:56 PM

Yup.

NateDogg
07-31-2002, 05:51 PM
So I used to do regular ab exercises. I pretty much stopped doing them when I started "heavy" deadlifting. Now that I have not been deading or squatting for a while, I am going to start doing some regular ab work (checked out the article on ab work on the main page here, very good article :D) in order to try to get my low back back to normal and strengthen my abs so I do not hurt it again.

NateDogg
08-01-2002, 04:01 PM
Ok, not going to lift tonight. I don't know what it is, but my stomach is killing me! I am at the point where I am ready to run to the bathroom at any minute to blow chunks. This sucks. Anyway...diet was good today, except for feeling like $hit. Hopefully it will go away sometime soon. I have also been toying with the idea that I have developed some kind of cold in my back as I have had "colds" in my back earlier on in life and this is pretty much what they feel like. VERY dull pain. Any input? Delphi? doc?

LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
08-02-2002, 10:07 AM
Dips:
1 / 100 / 12
2 / 185 / 5
3 / 265 / 5
4 / 265 / 5
5 / 265 / 4

DB Press:
1 / 50 / 12
2 / 60 / 5
3 / 80 / 5
4 / 80 / 5
5 / 80 / 3

Nice strength in the DB presses ND. ;);)

I was wondering about your dips, thats not the weight that you add to your BW is it?

NateDogg
08-02-2002, 10:57 AM

Nice strength in the DB presses ND. ;);)

***Thanks Mike :D
I was wondering about your dips, thats not the weight that you add to your BW is it?

***I wish bro, that is my BW + plates. I have been using 185 for BW as it has been between 183-185 since I started this routine. If I find it fluctuating more than that I might start weighing myself more often...doubt it though as I don't think my 1 or 2 of water weight makes that much of a difference for now.

NateDogg
08-03-2002, 06:34 AM
Ok, I have decided to stop posting my diet. Reasons being as follows:
1) I pretty much eat the same thing day in and day out with only slight variations. So why bother retyping it everyday?
2) It doesn't mean as much as weights do. Meaning, if I look back at my diet in the past, I don't care if I see an "improvement" whatever that might even mean :confused: I just care if my lifts have improved over time, and I am not a fatass :D

Yesterday's 8/2/02 workout: Back

Pull-ups
1 / 133 / 10
2 / 150 / 5
3 / 215 / 5
4 / 217.5 / 5
5 / 220 / 5 (spot for one :mad: )

Close Row
1 / 100 / 11
2 / 100 / 5
3 / 165 / 5
4 / 165 / 5
5 / 165 / 5

Good on these. Right now I am concentrating on staying as tight as possible through the midsection to avoid or at least minimize strain on my low back

Reverse Flyes
1 / 15 / 10
2 / 15 / 10
3 / 15 / 10

Did these laying on an incline bench this time. Felt really good and did not have to support myself with my back as much.

Hyperextension MACHINE
1 / 135 / 20
2 / 165 / 10
3 / 180 / 10

These felt :thumbup: I like this machine much better than the regular hypers where you can do them weighted or grab a plate. I am definitely going to keep using this machine. I used to use it all the time back when I was in highschool and such.

LATER,

NateDogg

Silverback
08-03-2002, 07:06 AM
Nice work on the db bench, thats impressive it will take me a bit before im there, i agree with not posting the diet but it is very important and contributes to 70% of your achievement. How do you perform your hyperextension machine, ive never seen one before what part of the back does it work?

keep up the good work nate.:thumbup:

NateDogg
08-03-2002, 07:29 AM
Nice work on the db bench, thats impressive it will take me a bit before im there, i agree with not posting the diet but it is very important and contributes to 70% of your achievement. How do you perform your hyperextension machine, ive never seen one before what part of the back does it work?

keep up the good work nate.:thumbup:

Thanks Ron. Oh, I totally agree with you on the diet, I just got sick of entering the same damn thing everyday. As long as my lifts are progressing, and I am not a fatass, I will be happy.

The hyperextension machine works your low back muscles (erector spinae). Bascially, you sit down on it, buckly in and lean back from the waist. The one I used was a "Life Fitness" I believe.

Silverback
08-03-2002, 08:54 AM
Oh yea, ive seen one now, never used it but may do in the future, deadlifts seem to be my progress booster for the lower back.

I think im lucky with diet, i don't get bored with it as i like all the foods that a basic bb diet ought to consist of. just stick at it and think of the results it will bring you.

NateDogg
08-03-2002, 09:17 AM
I think im lucky with diet, i don't get bored with it as i like all the foods that a basic bb diet ought to consist of. just stick at it and think of the results it will bring you.

Exactly the same with me. I revel in WW foods, chicken, steak, potatos, etc. People think I am depriving myself sometimes, well, I have my pizza when I "need" it and I'm happy :D. Other than that, I would rather eat healthy foods that I think taste great, than spend all day on the crapper because I went and ate some "grade D but edible" burger at a fast food joint.

NateDogg
08-03-2002, 09:19 AM
Did 20 minutes of cardio this morning (after eating a yogurt for all those who saw that I do not advocate empty stomach AM cardio). Pretty low intensity.

Chest is still a little puffed up from the other day, not sore, just feels hard and full. Biceps have a hint of soreness from back yesterday. Lats and upper back feel awesome. Not sore, but definitely worked.

Oh yeah, also did some ab work this morning as I said I was going to start doing some. 10-15 minutes, pretty intense. Did some of the static decline bench work from the WBB abdominal strength article, and some weighted machine crunches.

My g/f and I are going to try out the Pilates videos she ordered a couple weeks ago this morning. Should be interesting. I am very excited about the opportunity to do something different and strengthen my "core" so as to avoid future back injury and possibly resolve the issues I have been having.

NateDogg
08-03-2002, 09:23 AM

Actually, now that I think about it, I think it's with near the tuna and other canned foods, not the soup. In my store anyway (Shaw's)

NateDogg
08-03-2002, 01:03 PM
Well, we did not get to do the Pilates. Oh well, she had to go to work, but hopefully sometime this weekend?

NateDogg
08-04-2002, 09:52 AM
Today's workout: Arms

I'll start off by saying that I really do not enjoy working out in the morning. I have a tough time getting loose, have less energy, etc. That said, this one went pretty well.

Close-Grip Press
1 / 45 / 10
2 /135 / 10
3 / 185 / 5 (1 spot)
4 / 165 / 5
5 / 165 / 5

Strength was just not there for this one. Intensity was good, and they felt good. Just didn't have the power. I'll chaulk it up to a morning workout.

Skullcrushers
1 / 75 / 5
2 / 85 / 5 (1 spot)
3 / 80 / 5 (1 spot)

These were better, done on a decline bench. Felt good, decent strength. Let the elbows flare out a bit and think I might keep doing that, as it definitely worked the tri's as well, if not better.

Standing BB curl:
1 / 50 / 10
2 / 70 / 5
3 / 90 / 5
4 / 100 / 5
5 / 100 / 5 (1 spot)

Very intense for these, got myself into my own world and blocked everything out well,. Excellent form, good squeeze and all that.

Seated DB curl:
1 / 35 / 5
2 / 35 / 5
3 / 40 / 5

Very happy with these as well. Strength was there. Maybe because I did them last and had the blood flowing? Time to go eat :D

NateDogg
08-05-2002, 06:02 PM
Just to help keep this on the first page :rolleyes:. Not working out tonight, lazy day with my g'f :D. Watching "Black Hawk Down" tonight, really interested in seeing it. I'll give a review tomorrow. Not sure if I am going to get to work out tomorrow or not, have an interoffice softball game to play in, should be interesting. Quite a lot of young good athletes playin'.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
08-06-2002, 07:26 PM
Well, the game kinda sucked. I played...um...we'll say...ok...for not having played any softball since one game last year. Missed a can of corn fly ball, but other than that, pretty solid defense and went 1 for like 7 at the plate, but hit the ball pretty well each time. Well, there's always next game. We got beat up pretty bad, but it was a good time had by all. I'll be back at the gym tomorrow for some legs :D.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
08-07-2002, 05:54 PM
Well, the workout tonight may look a little different. I did a few sets of squats (very light) just to see what would happen. I am happy to report, no ill affects. I am unhappy to report that although my back does not feel any worse, it does not feel better yet either. I am going to call the Chiro down the street tomorrow :( . Anyway, here was my workout:

LEGS

Squats:
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 135 / 10

I tell ya' I have no idea how someone could not f'ing love to squat. These felt so good just to have a little weight on there and do a few sets. I really can not wait to get back to some real weight.

After those I did a good AB workout: some ball crunches, weighted crunches and decline slow negative crunches. These did not aggravate my back either.

I then did some machine hyper-extensions with some decent weight, and these felt great as well, did not aggravate my back either.

We'll see what the chiropracter has to say about it I guess pretty soon.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
08-08-2002, 06:32 PM
Well, absolutely no problems with my back from last nights squatting. I may try adding a little more weight next time. I think maybe, just maybe, I can get through this by strengthening my abs and low back.

Chest/shoulders tomorrow :thumbup:

NateDogg
08-09-2002, 10:29 AM
Well, as I said, chest and shoulders tonight. I am toying with the idea of upping my number of reps per set, thereby switching to a routine that is more geared towards hypertrophy for a while. I am thinking I will do the same workout, with 8-10 reps (lower weight of course). The first two sets of the 5 set exercises will still be warm-ups. I'm going to start this tonight and see how it goes. Might end up lowering volume (set wise) as I am doing more reps. We'll see how this exact routine works for a bit though with the 8-10 rep range. Only the last set of the each exercise, if any, will be to failure.

Questions, comments appreciated :D

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
08-10-2002, 07:28 AM
8/9/02 - FIRST DAY OF 8-10 REPS

This workout was awesome. Weights were for the most part not as bad as I thought they were going to be while I adjust to doing twice the repetititions. I dropped the inclines, as you will see, and that resulted in a much better military press than I know I would have had otherwise...oh yeah, "F" designates failure on final rep. There will be no forced reps...

DIPS
1 / 100 / 12
2 / 185 / 10
3 / 230 / 8
4 / 220 / 9
5 / 220 / 8 F

DB PRESS
1 / 50 / 10
2 / 50 / 10
3 / 55 / 9
4 / 55 / 9
5 / 60 / 10 F

MILITARY PRESS (seated)
1 / 45 / 10
2 / 65 / 10
3 / 70 / 10
4 / 80 / 9
5 / 85 / 10 F

LAT RAISE
1 / 17.5 / 10
2 / 17.5 / 10
3 / 20 / 9.5 F

I was really happy with this workout. Volume was good, I believe. We'll see how the other workouts go with this rep range and maybe a little tweaking. Back tomorrow...

LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
08-11-2002, 08:50 AM
How long have you been doing 5x5 ND? And what do you think about the 5-rep range? Seems like a good medium between size and strength gains if you ask me. What do you think? :):)

NateDogg
08-11-2002, 09:31 AM
How long have you been doing 5x5 ND? And what do you think about the 5-rep range? Seems like a good medium between size and strength gains if you ask me. What do you think? :):)

I had been doing 5X5, save 4-5 weeks of HIT and 6 weeks of HST, since around the end of last year. I loved it and I will definitely be using it again sometime. I do feel that maybe I was beating myself up a little too much, especially lately, with it. I was going to failure on too many sets and using weights, especially with deads and squats, that were really heavy to me. That is why I decided to go with 8-10 reps for a while, and to focus on hypertrophy. Minimizing the times I go to failure, and using weights that I can handle a little more easily.

MonStar
08-11-2002, 09:39 AM
I had been doing 5X5, save 4-5 weeks of HIT and 6 weeks of HST, since around the end of last year. I loved it and I will definitely be using it again sometime. I do feel that maybe I was beating myself up a little too much, especially lately, with it. I was going to failure on too many sets and using weights, especially with deads and squats, that were really heavy to me. That is why I decided to go with 8-10 reps for a while, and to focus on hypertrophy. Minimizing the times I go to failure, and using weights that I can handle a little more easily.

Nice post man. Thats the thing see I dont think that I am going to failure that much with 5x5. Okay heres what my flat BB presses looked like yesterday.

225 x 5 (not to failure)
225 x 5 (not to failure)
225 x 5 (not to failure)
225 x 5 (closer to failure)
225 x 5 (to failure)

So not many of my worksets are to muscular failure ya know? I am thinking that this will help prevent CNS fatigue, etc.

NateDogg
08-14-2002, 06:46 AM
I'M ON VACATION! I have been writing down all my workouts, and eating...well...close to acceptably, so I will be back to update my journal probably tomorrow or Friday. Going tubing down the Deerfield River in good ol' Western, MA today. My Dad turns 50 today! He and my mother, also 50, are both triathletes and marathoners so they have the build, mindset and general health greater than that of your average, in shape 30 year old. Pretty amazing if you ask me. My Dad always tries to get me to "see the light" and start doing endurance training, more cardio and stuff. Hehe, it's all in fun though. Although I do do some stuff like that. My parents and I are actually competing in our second Hi-Tec adventure race next month. They are a blast!

MonStar
08-14-2002, 06:51 AM
Damn man sounds like fun, enjoy your vacation. :):)

Anyways have you heard of the guy named needsize from Elite? I invited him here to WBB and he said that he would check it out. Hes been on 5x5 for 4 years he said and gained TONS of weight and size. He said its the best program out there etc. etc. Hes f*cking huge you should see him.

NateDogg
08-14-2002, 07:38 AM
Damn man sounds like fun, enjoy your vacation. :):)

Anyways have you heard of the guy named needsize from Elite? I invited him here to WBB and he said that he would check it out. Hes been on 5x5 for 4 years he said and gained TONS of weight and size. He said its the best program out there etc. etc. Hes f*cking huge you should see him.

Yeah, he is huge, and strong. He's the guy I got 5X5 from. Be nice to have him here.

NateDogg
08-17-2002, 12:24 PM
Well, vacation has been great. Went to the beach down in RI yesterday, then to Providence Place Mall afterwards on the way home. I love that mall, it's freakin' huge. Anyway, gettin' ready to head back to the gym and work on Monday. I don't think this week killed me. I did not really need the week off from the gym, but I don't think it hurt at all. Oh, guess what...I also have a doctors appt on Monday for my back :rolleyes:. He'll probably just point me to a chiro anyway, but I get to see my parents again at home, get my golf clubs which I left home by accident, change my oil and some other stuff I get to get done. Plus...well, maybe he will be able to tell me something useful. Never know I guess.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
08-19-2002, 01:31 PM
Well, I just got back from the doctor's office. I am going to be getting X-rays done tomorrow. I really just want to know what the hell is going on with my back and if there is anything I can do about it. It's frustrating.

MonStar
08-19-2002, 10:28 PM
Yeah, he is huge, and strong. He's the guy I got 5X5 from. Be nice to have him here.

Hell be registering and hopefully posting here in the next few days. I am hoping hell take my advice and start a journal. Hes EXTREMELY strong Jesus.

NateDogg
08-20-2002, 12:17 PM
Ok, X-rays complete, now I just wait to see what the hell is wrong with me and if I can be fixed. Going to the gym tonight to do some light legs and such. I really have to get back there (and seriously can not wait) as I was a P.O.S. for most of last week and the beginning of this week.

NateDogg
08-20-2002, 01:02 PM
:soapbox:

Oh, BTW, all this baseball strike talk crap is really pi$$ing me off. I have retired my Red Sox hat in protest until the strike date (and for a good long time if the idiots actually go on strike). My avatar and sig will also undergo some changes if the strike does happen.

MonStar
08-21-2002, 01:03 AM
So right now its you, myself, and now McBain are all following 5x5. New member needsize is going to start his 5x5 journal here at WBB in a few weeks I believe he said. Damn hes got some crazy strength from what I understand.

NateDogg
08-21-2002, 07:08 AM
So right now its you, myself, and now McBain are all following 5x5. New member needsize is going to start his 5x5 journal here at WBB in a few weeks I believe he said. Damn hes got some crazy strength from what I understand.

Actually I am going to be changing up to a higher rep routine when I can start back fully, just kinda messin' around now.

NateDogg
08-21-2002, 05:04 PM
Well, I just got back from a 2-3 mile run. I am having to up the cardio, at least a little bit, in preparation for the Hi-Tec Adventure Race in Hartford, CT on Sunday September 8th. I did this last year with my parents and we had a blast. It basically involves trail running, fun-yaking (inflatable kayak type apparatus) and mountain biking. However, they can also throw at your team of three anything they wish. For example. To start the race last year, we all thought fun-yaking would be first. Well, they decided that two team members would have to carry the third member the .25 miles to the lake to get going. That was a blast trying to run full speed along with someone else, trying to carry another between us. To top it all off, 3/4 of the event took place at night last year, so we were biking, running, and trying to get through the special events they had for us using only the light of the moon and the little bike lights we had on our helmets. Anyone try anything like this before? The basic prerequisite is the ability to run a minimum of 11 miles. If you can do that, don't mind getting dirty, wet, bloody and really tired...give it a shot, you'll love it! Read more at www.mesp.com

LATER,

NateDogg

PS, nothing from the doctor on the X-rays yet. If I don't hear from them by Friday I will call on Monday.

NateDogg
08-22-2002, 06:04 PM
Ok, well, being honest with myself and everyone else (if anyone reads this)...I am really in the middle of a lot of stuff as far as health, fitness and exercise go right now. My back is injured in one way or another. I have an endurance race coming up, and through all of this, I want to just keep plugging away at the gym. It is REALLY killing me to not be able to squat or deadlift as my progressing strength in those lifts is important to me. I am going to keep at the gym, with added cardio in preparation for the endurance type race I have coming up. Workouts will be similar to the one I did tonight...

Superset pull-ups / dips
1 120 / 120 --- 10 / 12
2 bw / bw --- 11 / 17
3 bw / bw --- 8 / 12
4 bw / bw --- 8 / 10

This workout felt really great and I will probably be doing workouts of this type until I can get my back back into shape after finding out how. It did not stress my back at all, and I felt that it was a sufficient workout. All sets, except for the first, were taken to failure.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
08-25-2002, 05:32 PM
Shameless bump, as I do not want this journal to fall by the wayside. I want to keep at it. It's tough with my back to keep motivation, as I lived for squats and deads, everything else was just filler. Going to call the doc Monday to see what's up with my x-rays. I am fully expecting to have to go back for an MRI, we'll see I guess.

LATER,

NateDogg

BennettBoy
08-26-2002, 07:07 AM
Hang in there NateDogg and I hope things turn out OK with your back. Gosh, a bad back would seriously hamper anybody's training. Hope all turns out OK.

NateDogg
08-26-2002, 10:12 AM
Thanks BB,

Well, I think I am off to a new doctor as soon as possible. The following is my conversation with the doc's office from today...

Doc's office: "Your x-rays showed very minor scoliosis, but it does not matter because you are done growing."
Me: "Ok, well what do I do now as it is still bothering me."
Doc's office: "What did the doctor tell you to do."
Me: "Nothing, just to go and get an x-ray."
Doc's office: *perplexed voice* "Well, ok, just...um...take an anti-inflammatory, ice it when it hurts and wear a belt."
Me: Ah...ok, thanks.

I was doing all that already, except for wearing the belt, which I will start to do on near max lifts if I ever get up that "high" again, and I told them so when I went in.

Is there anything that this may be that would not show up on an x-ray? I'll repost this on my back pain thread in general health as well. delphi?

LATER,

NateDogg

Saturday Fever
08-26-2002, 11:55 AM
Nate, I understand your frustration. Look into getting your back muscles in good shape. There are 2 things I would do to achieve this.

First, alternate hour to hour (or as often as your schedule allows) between IcyHot on your back and an ice massage. Just have your gf or wife or whoever take 2 ice cubes and just run circles around the tender areas of your back. Trust me, it hurts like a son of a bitch for the first 4 minutes or so, but is WELL worth it in the end.

Secondly, insist on getting an MRI. If you've got bulging or herniated discs, or any other such problem, an MRI will discover it and let you know what you'r up against.

I hope everything works itself out, good luck.

NateDogg
08-26-2002, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the support and the advice Saturday Fever. I think I am giving up on my current doc, due to the distance I have to travel to get to him, and the poor quality of treatment I feel I have recieved. I am definitely going to try out your advice and see what happens with that. At the very least I'll be getting some nice massages...albeit with ice!

NateDogg
08-28-2002, 04:39 PM
Well, trying not to let myself get too down over my back situation, I am going to start a new split, so that I can get back into a routine with the gym. I am really not sure what I am going to do for legs yet, but I have chest, back and shoulders all worked out, in my push-pull-legs split...

sets: range - range
PUSH:
Dips 3: 8-10
Flat DB Press 3: 8-10
Flat Flye 2: 8-10
Skulls 3:8-10
Lat Raise 2: 8-10

PULL
Pull-ups (close, palms facing in) 3: 8-10
Hammer Strength Row 3: 8-10
Shrugs 3: 8-10
BB curl 2: 8-10
DB curl 2: 8-10

LEGS
Again, not sure yet. I think the next couple doctor's visits (to be scheduled soon as I am in the process of finding a local doctor) will have a lot to say in what I will be doing for my legs in the near future. For now I think I am just going to stick with very light squats, leg extenstions, and leg curls. I will see how that feels and adjust as necessary. I'll be doing calves of course as well. Also on leg day, I will put in some intense AB work and low back work to see if I can strengthen the muscles I have been hesitant to use since my back started bothering me. Anyway...that's going to be my new split. First time on a push-pull-legs split. Oh yeah, I am still stepping up the cardio for the adventure race. What will end up happening, at least until then, is that I will lift by feel, as in, sore = wait another day, not sore = go lift. I am going to try to do some cardio three times per week for the next couple weeks. That should really be all I need to get myself back into adventure race shape, as I do not feel I am all that far away from it. I think that is all for now. Questions and comments appreciated as usual :D

LATER,

NateDogg

PS...I'm off to the gym...man I love it there :)

NateDogg
08-28-2002, 07:03 PM
I'm back from the gym, that was a really good workout...

PUSH DAY

Dips
1 warmup / bw / 12
2 warmup / bw / 10
3 / 210 / 10
4 / 215 / 10f
5 / 215 / 9f

Flat DB Press
1 / 60 / 7f (did not rest enough after last dip set)
2 / 60 / 9
3 / 60 / 9f

Skullcrushers
1 / 60 / 10
2 / 75 / 7f (I thought this was 65 :rolleyes: )
3 / 70 / 7f

Lat Raise
1 / 20 / 10
2 / 20 / 10

Overall a good workout. Back feels the same. Icing it right now.

NateDogg
08-29-2002, 07:01 PM
A little cardio action tonight. Walked on the treadmill for 5 minutes to get loose, then ran for 10 at 6.0-8.0 MPH, raised it to 7, then 8 near the end. Then did 20 minutes on the stationary bike at pretty low intensity. Back does not feel great today. I am going to ask to get the first half of Tuesday, or maybe just the whole day, and go to the doctors place that I called a couple days ago (my buddies doctor is not taking patients). Hopefully, I can get an appt right away.

NateDogg
08-31-2002, 12:08 PM
Pull workout this morning. I played a 9 hole round of golf just before the gym, so I think my weights suffered a bit. This workout felt really great though.

Pull-Ups:
1 warmup / 100 / 12
2 warmup / 150 / 9
3 / 185 / 8
4 / 185 / 8
5 / 185 / 8f

Hammer Strength Rows:
1 / 110 / 10
2 / 130 / 10
3 / 140 / 10

Shrugs
1 / 155 / 10
2 / 175 / 10
3 / 80lb DB's / 10

BB curl
1 / 70 / 10
2 / 70 / 8
3 / 70 / 7f

DB curl
1 / 25 / 10
2 / 25 / 10

Again, workout felt good. Have to make sure I get the food down now. We went food shopping pretty recently, and will again tomorrow, so we will not all but run out again. Last week was tough on the diet side. Really did not have much around the house, and did not have time to go shopping.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
09-03-2002, 09:16 AM
I took the whole day off of work today so that I could 1) get my Jeep inspected, 2) go find a new doc. Well, the day could not be going better so far. My Jeep passed! I was so freakin' psyched and I really did not expect it to pass, but it did (legitimately mind you). *Dances like the dude on the Joe Boxer commercial* :D Now I'm off to scope out my new medical facility. Hopefully I can register and get an appt at the same time. That would be too good to be true so I do not have my hopes up. Off to eat!

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
09-03-2002, 11:01 AM
Just got back from the health care place...got a new doc, and an appt on Thursday! Have a leg workout with the little lady a little later this afternoon. I'll be posting that later. Right now I have to go and eat again!

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
09-03-2002, 05:40 PM
Well, objective three for today...my workout, has been met and was awesome! Here goes...

LEGS:

Squat:
1 warmup / 45 / 12
2 warmup / 135 / 10
3 / 165 / 10
4 / 175 / 10
5 / 185 / 10

I have not been up at these weights for quite some time. These were awesome, perfect form, no back pain (it just hurt like it normally does, no worse). Will see how I feel next time and may try to go higher.

Leg Extension:
1 / 120 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 135 / 10

Felt good as well. Really concentrating on keeping my abs tight, hips stationary and using only my quads.

Leg Curl (seated):
1 / 100 / 10
2 / 100 / 10
3 / 90 / 9

Started out a little too heavy on these and killed myself on the last set.

Donkey Raise:
1 / 140 / 10
2 / 160 / 10
3 / 180 / 10

Started out too light here and moved up substantially. Will start higher next time.

Also did some pretty tough ab work and oblique work. All in all a great workout. It was VERY encouraging to squat "decent" weight with no extraordinary pain.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
09-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Taking a page out of Monstar's journal and those of others, I am going to try a new format...thanks for the ideas guys.

NateDogg
09-04-2002, 07:58 PM
09/04/2002

General Comments:
Had a good day at work today. Feels like I am not there all that often anymore...which lately is fine with me. Of course, it is just that I am missing a lot of work with vacation days :D and doctor's appt's :( . Miss getting to workout with my g/f, but so it goes. Still looking forward to the Hi-Tec race this weekend. Oh yeah, my back feels better today than it has in quite some time. Possibly due to yesterday's squat session :confused:

Training:
Pull day today...

Dips:
1 / 100 / 12
2 / 150 / 10
3 / 215 / 10
4 / 220 / 10
5 / 230 / 10

These were awesome, MUCH stronger than last workout on these.

DB Press:
1 / 60 / 10
2 / 60 / 10
3 / 60 / 10

I was stronger on these also. Used the same weight, but got all 10 this time. I did have to struggle mightily to get the 10th on the last set.

DB flye:
1 / 25 / 10
2 / 30 / 10
3 / 30 / 10

Stronger on these as well. Same form (guessing 130-140 degree elbow) more weight :D

Cable Push-Downs:
1 / 80 / 10
2 / 120 / 10
3 / 130 / 9f

Switched to push-downs (duh) and liked these much better for tri's. Might go back to skulls someday, but I just have less to worry about with these (hurting shoulders and elbows, hitting myself in the face, etc). I also got an awesome squeeze on these.

Lat Raise:
1 / 22.5 / 10
2 / 20 / 10

Not ready to use 22.5's with perfect form yet, so went back to 20's. Still felt good.

Diet:

Diet was good today. Ate every 2-3, lots of protein, good fats and carbs. It was about an average eating day for me.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
09-05-2002, 10:12 AM
09/05/2002

General Comments:
I had my second doc's appt for my back today. She prescribed 2 months physical therapy. I was very happy to hear that. Hopefully it will do some good. I am getting my hair cut tonight...woohoo! I really need it:D

Training:
Just some cardio tonight. I think I am done lifting for the week so that I am at 100% (or as close as possible to it) for the race this weekend.

Diet:

Done well so far today. Hoping to repeat yesterday as far as quality goes. Will update later.
It's later...finished off a good day of eating with a large protein shake with skim milk, then a pretty good sized lean steak right after I finish this.

LATER,

NateDogg

Saturday Fever
09-05-2002, 10:27 AM
Glad to hear your back is feeling better. And if you need someone to stand in for the massage portion of the physical therapy, I'm your man. :) Good luck getting your back up to 100% again, I know the physical therapy will help a lot.

NateDogg
09-05-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Saturday Fever
Glad to hear your back is feeling better. And if you need someone to stand in for the massage portion of the physical therapy, I'm your man. :) Good luck getting your back up to 100% again, I know the physical therapy will help a lot.

Thanks bro...sorry to inform you though that I think I will struggle through the massages myself :D

NateDogg
09-06-2002, 02:01 PM
[B]09/06/2002

General Comments:
Well, work is going by fairly quickly today. Been on here a bit so that always helps :) Nothing much to report today. My back feels really good, so I am psyched about that. I just read the road to triple BW dead thread, well, the new posts to it. I can not wait to get back in there and deadlift again. Not that I was close to 3bw, but maybe someday ;)

Training:
Nothing tonight, really just taking it easy until after this weekend. May do some cardio tomorrow?

Diet:
Been eating plenty of calories today. That said, some of it was from a lunch size Bertucci's "Silano" pizza :D It was awesome and totally worth it. Other than that, the usual oatmeal, whey, steak, chicken and the occasional PB&J sandwich :D

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
09-09-2002, 08:49 AM
09/08/2002

General Comments:
The Hi-Tec Adventure Race in Farmington (Hartford), CT has come and gone, and it was a blast. My parents and I shaved ~20 minutes off of our time from last year, which we were quite happy with...I'll give a long version and a short version of the race here. Maybe I'll be able to post some pics too when I get them back.

Short version: My 50 year old parents and I went down to CT and did some competitive kayaking, trail running, mountain biking. Mixed into those main events were paintball target shooting, orienteering, wall climbing and some other "special tests" that I will go into more in the long version. We had a blast, and left with only minor bumps and bruises, and a slightly messed up knee, but I think it will be ok.
Training:
Hi-Tec Adventure Race - Farmington, CT
~8:15 AM to ~12:45 PM

Long Version: We found out on Saturday evening what major events we would be doing, in what order. It was a 5 mile trail run first, then a 3 mile kayak (inflatable kayak type things), followed by double loop of a 4 mile mountain bike ride. That is all we knew for sure. Mixed in would be 8 "special tests" that all three of us had to complete, as a team, in order to finish. We loaded everything we thought we may need during the race nito our area of the "transition area," which is basically your home base for the entire race. There is no outside (spectator) help allowed during the race, so a team must rely solely on themselves, other racers, and anything (not motorized) that they can think of to bring to the race. The race started at ~ 8:15 AM on Sunday and we were off...

Special Test A: Before we could start the trail run, we had to do some orienteering which by itself resulted in 2-3 miles of trail running, much of it at near full speed. We needed to find the letters "G" "R" and "Y" placed in three spots labeled on a map we were handed at the beginning of the race. We got through this quite smoothly and were off on the run...

Trail Run: I kind of messed up my knee a bit early on in the trail run. I attribute it to simply not having done any trail running since last year's race and therefore not being used to the different running. That and my shoes were in worse shape than I had thought. We finished this 5 mile run in fairly good time, considering we had to stop every 1/2 mile or so for the last 2 miles to try to rub my knee so I could continue...

Special Test B: Two balance beams with small steps on them, forming the shape of an "A." I was first, so I needed to carry a caribeener (sp?) up the steps and clamp it on to a wire 6 feet or so above. Then climb down the other side. My Dad, who was last, then had to come and take it off the wire, and bring it down the other side. The trick was, that my Dad, myself, and my Mom, who was second, had to keep in contact with eachother the whole time. It was a little tough to keep balance while compesating for the balancing attempts of another, but this one went off without a hitch as well...

Special Test C (kayaking): First we had to run through 2-3 feet deep water for ~ 300 yards or so, to make sure we were good and wet and muddy :D. The special test this time involved the kayaking. We had to paddle around the lake (1.5 miles) 2 laps (so 3 miles total). The first lap we had to do with my mother and I facing eachother in one kayak, so she was facing backwards from where we were going, and my Dad (who we chose to tether to us) in the other kayak. We have little to no practice kayaking, other than last years race, so this took quite some time, but we got it done. The second lap, not part of the special test, we could do however we wished...

Special Test D: Each one of us, one at a time, had to hit one target with a paintball gun. This was my favorite part of the race, although very short, it was fun, as I had never shot a paintball gun prior to that...

Special Test E: We really needed to find another team for this one, luckily there was one there when we arrived. We needed to all get on a 2 inch wide, wobbly balance beam, and get across it. The trick here was that, 1, although there were many beams, your team could only use one, and 2, the first person on the beam, had to be the last person off on the other end, and the last one on had to be the first person off. There was only a small square in the middle of the beam, where the switch could be made. Basically what we did was pair up with the other team, and one pair at a time, get on the beam, and start going very slowly, facing eachother and leaning on eachother to keep balance. My team fell of halfway through the first attempt, but we all made it the second time, as the other team, stranded after we fell off, went back to start over with us...

Special Test F (mountain bike): The mountain bike was 2 laps around a 4 mile trail. The special test was that we had to do the first lap with just two bikes. My Mom ended up running the whole first lap as she was more comfortable that way. We got our third bike and flew through the second lap pretty well...

Special Test G: My order of tests is mixed up I think, but you get the point. Maybe I will be able to come back and fix it when I get pics to jog my memory...anyway...At some point a special test was to get all of us, and our bikes, through about a 6 feet long maze of rope. This was not too bad, but was tough on the shoulders trying to hold our relatively heavy bikes up while getting them untangled.

Final Special Test H:

A twelve foot wall, and a rope on the ground in front of you is what this consisted of. As with the end of all the Hi-Tec Adventure races, we had to get all of us over the wall. My Dad, and I, and a very nice member of another team, hoisted my Mom up far enough so that she could pull herself up (on the second attempt, the first one ended with her falling, elbowing me in the head, and me catching her just before she hit the ground). We through the rope up to her, she anchored it to herself, then I climbed up the rope. Got myself over, then my Dad climbed up. Sounds really easy, but after busting our balls for over 4 hours, we were pretty tired and running on a will to finish.

Diet:
Gonna leave this out, because the calorie deficit I was running, I was eating everything I could get my hands on :D

LATER,

NateDogg

PS, there are pics, hopefully I will be able to get some in electronic form and post them!

Saturday Fever
09-09-2002, 12:42 PM
How's your back feeling after those activities?

NateDogg
09-09-2002, 02:10 PM
How's your back feeling after those activities?

It actually felt fine during the race, and it feels better than ever today. REALLY strange :confused:

NateDogg
09-11-2002, 09:53 AM
09/11/2002

General Comments:
It seems to be a somber day for everyone today. I am feeling pretty ok, but it was tough listening to everything all over again on the radio this morning. All of the accounts of what happened last year on this day all over again. I walked into the Physical Therapists office this morning, at 8:45, one minute before the national moment of silence was to begin. I shared the moment with total strangers. It was a little surreal. Anyway...as I mentioned the PT's office. I finally have an official diagnosis of my back problem. I have a strain of the sacral-ilium joint. According to the PT I saw, really nice guy, it is due to the fact that my hip flexors are VERY tight. Therefore, when squatting, my body needs to compensate for that by putting more force on the sacral region of my spine. He said that I messed it up pretty good, but I should be back to normal after 2-3 weeks of physical therapy. I was just ecstatic to hear that I had a treatable problem. I will keep updating on how my therapy is going and how the gym is going as well...

Training:
None for the last couple days as I have been still very much recovering from my adventure race on Sunday morning. I ended up not working out today. I just did not have the energy, emotionally or physically. My g/f also told me that she could work out with me tomorrow night, so I am going to start back then. I miss it and I am excited to get back there.

Diet:
I have been eating quite well eventhough I have not trained for the last couple days. A lot of good clean food as usual. Had a couple beers Monday night (literally, 2 beers) when watching the Pats kick the snot out of those awesome Steelers :rolleyes:

LATER,

NateDogg

Saturday Fever
09-11-2002, 10:49 AM
He said that I messed it up pretty good, but I should be back to normal after 2-3 weeks of physical therapy.

Awesome news, glad to hear it's nothing longterm.

NateDogg
09-11-2002, 11:05 AM

Awesome news, glad to hear it's nothing longterm.

Thanks bro, me too!

NateDogg
09-15-2002, 07:33 AM
Well, last week was just a crappy week BB'ing wise. I guess I will top it off today by watching football all day :D . No biggie, back at it Monday. The PT is helping my back so far. It's not 100% yet, but everytime I leave there it seems to feel a little better.

I was in a friend's wedding yesterday. It was the first time I had been in one, and I have only ever even been to 2 other ones so it was interesting. Had a great time and I think they will be very happy together.

I guess that's it.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
09-16-2002, 07:14 PM
09/16/2002

General Comments:
Back feels pretty good. I have another appt for it tomorrow. Nicole, my g/f, and I got another little kitten this weekend. He is so cute. His name is "Buster" and though our other kitty, Dezzy, really hates him so far. I think they'll get along fine after a couple weeks. I hope so anyway.

Training:
PUSH Day today...great to get back at it. I'm sure I will sleep well tonight...

DIPS
1 / 100 / 10
2 / 145 / 8
3 / 220 / 10
4 / 230 / 9
5 / 230 / 6.5f

Felt pretty good. Did not do as well as last time, but I do not expect to increase every single week anyway.

Flat DB Press
1 / 8
2 / 9
3 / 9.5f

These were really good. Really slow and great tension.

DB Flye
1 / 30 / 10
2 / 30 / 10
3 / 30 / 10

Good stretch, good elbow position and angle.

Tricep Push-downs
1 / 120 / 10
2 / 130 / 10
3 / 135 / 10f

Awesome.

Lat Raise
1 / 22.5 / 10
2 / 22.5 / 9.5f

Also awesome. Decided to take a shot at two sets at 22.5. did pretty well with them I think.

Diet:
Ate very well today. I had not been eating consistently for a couple days. Today was much better.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
09-18-2002, 10:14 AM
09/17/2002

General Comments:
Back feels pretty good again today. I have some stretches from the PT that I have been doing for it. As well as an exercise to try to keep my pelvis in place. Buster and Dezzy are starting to get along a little better I think. One of these days's we'll let them stay together when we are out for a bit. For now, Buster has his own little set up in our spare bedroom.

Training:
None last night, just did my stretches.
Diet:
Ate very well yesterday (9/17).

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
09-19-2002, 07:37 PM
09/18/2002

General Comments:
Back feels pretty good again today. Did my stretches before my workout and after my warmup. Things are going well with the two cats.

Training:

LEGS
Squat:
1 / 45 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 155 / 10
4 / 185 / 10

These felt good. I did not want to push my luck as I was feeling a little tight, so I stopped at 4 sets.

Leg Extension:
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 150 / 10
3 / 165 / 10

These felt awesome. Really intense squeeze on each one.

Seated Leg Curl:
1 / 8 / 10
2 / 11 / 10
3 / 10 / 10

These felt awesome as well. Not sure what the weight #'s represented in lbs, so I just wrote the plate I was on.

Donkey Raise:
1 / 180 / 10
2 / 200 / 10
3 / 200 / 9.5f

Strongest I have ever felt on these :thumbup:

Diet:
Ate very well.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
09-19-2002, 07:46 PM
09/19/2002

General Comments:
Back again feels pretty good today. Keep in mind that "pretty good" means that it does not really hurt at all, but still does not feel correct. The other PT I see (appts with 2 were made for my 3 week treatment, they basically flip-flop every other time) gave me an exercise I can do to try to keep my pelvis in place between visits. I am going to do that again after this.

Legs are quite sore after yesterday. Especially quads and calves.

Training:
Just my stretches and keep me in place exercise today.

Diet:
Eh, ate ok today. Probably not enough food. I am struggling to eat enough carbs. Protein is easy at work and no problem. Carbs are not as easy. I think I'll have to start bringing oatmeal to work again.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
09-20-2002, 06:19 PM
09/20/2002

General Comments:
Back feels...ok...today. Not great, but I did do back tonight so that may have something to do with it. My g/f left her job as a nanny today under mutual agreement. She is going to pursue a retail management position (she already works at the store and has been offered such a position many times). It is amazing to watch her talk to people on the sales floor. She is always honest, but she could seriously sell ice to eskimos as the saying goes I believe.

Training:
PULL Day today

Pull-Ups:
1 / 100 / 10
2 / 130 / 10
3 / 185 / 9
4 / 185 / 8
5 / 185 / 7f+1

Strength was just not there. Now that I eat really well most days, and ever since I have been, I can really tell a difference in energy level from when I do not eat so well...like today.

Hammer Strength Row:
1 / 140 / 10
2 / 160 / 7f
3 / 150 / 9f

Again, strength was not there at all today.

DB Shrug:
1 / 70's / 10
2 / 70's / 10
3 / 70's / 10

These felt good. It's amazing, even my grip was struggling today. I HAVE TO EAT MORE!!

BB Curl:
1 / 60 / 10
2 / 70 / 8f
3 / 65 / 7f+1

Great squeeze and intensity, just missing the strength once again. Although I really do not worry about the weight I use for curls, especially since I am doing a push pull legs now with bi's after back.

DB Curl:
1 / 25 / 10
2 / 20 / 10

Struggled through these, but got 'em all.

Diet:
As I have said a bunch of times already. I HAVE TO EAT MORE! Gotta get to cookin' tonight so I have stuff ready.

LATER,

NateDogg [/B][/QUOTE]

NateDogg
09-21-2002, 05:22 PM
09/21/2002

General Comments:
Parents and Grandparents came out to meet the new kitty today. Had a great time, went out to lunch. My back feels really great today. Just chillin' watchin' the Red Sox game right now.

Training:
Just my stretches and some AB work that my physical therapist gave me to do to help strengthen my back and abs.

Diet:
Well, I ate a lot of food today, including lots of carbs and fat. It was not the greatest quality, but I am happy with it considering that I had not been eating enough. I'm getting back on track.

LATER,

NateDogg

Saturday Fever
09-21-2002, 05:47 PM
Strength was just not there. Now that I eat really well most days, and ever since I have been, I can really tell a difference in energy level from when I do not eat so well...like today.

Man, this is so true for me as well. It's like my body throws a fit when I don't eat enough and refuses to lift.

NateDogg
09-21-2002, 07:57 PM

Man, this is so true for me as well. It's like my body throws a fit when I don't eat enough and refuses to lift.

At least I'm not the only one. Like I said, I seriously am practically useless at the gym when I have not eaten correctly during the day. I also have much worse DOMS (well of course I guess) when I do not eat enough. I just cooked up a steak and about 10-12 chicken breasts to start me off tomorrow and next week. :drooling: I can not believe I still love chicken, even just a plain old chicken breast, maybe with some salt, after all these years of eating it :D

NateDogg
09-22-2002, 08:16 AM
09/22/2002

General Comments:
Going to LocoBazooke a little later today, noonish. Bands there I am looking forward to seeing: Must, Ra, Hatebreed, Nonpoint and of course, Disturbed. Should be a blast. It's basically a 8.5 hour outdoor concert, three stages, huge bands, a little smaller bands, and local bands. Put on by local radio station WAAF 107.3 (gave Godsmack their start). Lots of very good, not so healthy food there as well. I guess I'll be eating like MonStar today (no offense if you see this bro ;) )

Training:
Going on a 3 mile walk run in a few minutes with my girlfriend. She is on a beginning running program that my parents gave to her. I'm doing some of it with her to get a little cardio in.

Diet:
Started out well today, but as mentioned, may go down hill. I will certainly eat enough though!!!!! :D

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
09-23-2002, 07:17 PM
09/23/2002

General Comments:
Ahhh, the rollercoaster that is life. Here is my day today. I see the new cat, Buster, biting his leg this morning. Guess what, Buster has fleas. I bought a flea comb tonight and we are working on him whenever we have time. Then I get to work and my girlfriend calls me part way through the day. She has gotten a raise, a new title at her work has been created for her, she now has full benefits including dental, health and life insurance. Sweet! Then I have a freakin AWESOME workout tonight. I just got home from, to resume flea hunting. I guess all in all I am definitely ahead in the race today.
Training:
PUSH Day today...like I said, it was awesome.
DIPS
1 / 100 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 230 / 10
4 / 235 / 9
5 / 235 / 7f

Awesome, 4th set was a personal best at this rep range.

Flat DB Press
1 / 65 / 9f
2 / 65 / 7
3 / 65 / 7.5f

Very tough here, I think I just killed myself on dips so these suffered, although I was all jacked to try for 65's. I'll get them next time.

DB Flye
1 / 30 / 10
2 / 30 / 10
3 / 30 / 10

Great shoulder (back) and elbow (not flexed much) positions, awesome stretch, awesome controlled explosion at the bottom.

Tricep Push-downs
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 135 / 9
3 / 120 / 7f

These were really tough. Got 135, but struggled the rest of the way. Maybe I did not rest enough between sets.

Lat Raise + front raise (alternating lat to front)
1 / 20 / 10
2 / 17.5 / 10

These were extremely hard, especially the front raises. A little cheating going on at the end of both sets. I do not think I will try the front raises again. They were not necessary after everything else.
Diet:
I ate perfectly today. Lots of chicken, brown rice, some ground turkey, oatmeal and whey with milk in the morning. Definitely felt the difference in my workout.
LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
09-23-2002, 07:47 PM
Locobazooka update...because I totally forgot about it, not because it sucked (it did not suck), because I am tired.

All of the bands I really went to see ROCKED! Nonpoint, as they were last year, were probably my favorite. I think the extra year I waited, hyping Disturbed up for myself, made them seem not as good as they may have had I seen them at an earlier date...did that make sense? I think it did...anyway. Do not get me wrong, Disturbed was excellent, and I was totally excited to hear them play live. The crowd was very mellow for some reason. It was probably the 7.5 hours everyone had been out in the sun, trying to get enough water to stay hydrated. Everyone was already pretty exhausted when Disturbed finally came on. It was a great show though and I am very glad I was there.

Accipiter
09-23-2002, 08:03 PM
In response to your post to my journal:
"Hey Accipiter, prompted by the thread in training about the reverse pyramid, I am thinking of trying this out. How long do you spend warming up? How much do you do for movement specific warming up (light presses for presses, light curls for curls, etc). Have you had any trouble with joint pain, or excessive DOMS due to possibly not warming up enough? Sorry if these have all been answered already, but it's a long journal to read all the way through "

Before my first movement I warm up. Say it's chest/tri day, and my first movement is flat db presses. 90 lbs is my first working set. I begin by doing 10 reps at 25 lbs, maybe 30, just to focus on form, make sure nothing is out of wack. Then I move up to the 50's, for 3 or 4, again making sure everything is good, then maybe 2 reps at 65 before going to the 90's. After each warmup set I take about 30 seconds to rest, not even. I've had 0 problems with joint pain or DOMS yet. I usually do have problems with joint pain too, but that actaully stopped when I switched. I think maybe because my joints were fresh when handling the highest weight, rather than fatigued. If you do choose this route, good luck man, it worked wonders for me

NateDogg
09-24-2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Accipiter
Before my first movement I warm up. Say it's chest/tri day, and my first movement is flat db presses. 90 lbs is my first working set. I begin by doing 10 reps at 25 lbs, maybe 30, just to focus on form, make sure nothing is out of wack. Then I move up to the 50's, for 3 or 4, again making sure everything is good, then maybe 2 reps at 65 before going to the 90's. After each warmup set I take about 30 seconds to rest, not even. I've had 0 problems with joint pain or DOMS yet. I usually do have problems with joint pain too, but that actaully stopped when I switched. I think maybe because my joints were fresh when handling the highest weight, rather than fatigued. If you do choose this route, good luck man, it worked wonders for me

Sweet man, thanks. I think I may try that with my current routine tomorrow night. Leg day :D

NateDogg
09-24-2002, 09:55 AM
Oh yeah, my rant for the day. I sept like $hit last night! I went to bed at about 11:30, was awake at 12:00 somehow fell asleep for a few minutes, but was wide awake at 1:00, 2:00 then 3:00. It sucks looking at the clock at that time and just not being tired. I think I got about 4 hours of actual good sleep. This never happens to me! I hope it does not continue :(

Silverback
09-24-2002, 02:40 PM
not sleeping is the worst, especially cos it screws you up for the rest of the day, i found this problem in lectures (as if they weren't boring enough) nodding off.

Glad to hear the back is much better, now get big!

NateDogg
09-24-2002, 02:57 PM
not sleeping is the worst, especially cos it screws you up for the rest of the day, i found this problem in lectures (as if they weren't boring enough) nodding off.

Glad to hear the back is much better, now get big!

Thanks bro, I feel so much better lately. I'm workin' on gettin' bigger. Although, I am not satisfied with my routine involving 8-10 rep sets so far. I feel I am shortchanging myself on strength gains. I may go back to a slightly modified (from last time) version of 5X5. I have come to realize that strength is more important to me than size. Although I did gain quite a bit of size the first time I did 5X5.

NateDogg
09-25-2002, 06:52 AM
Just a note.

My physical therapist kicked my ass this morning. I told her my back was feeling better and I spent the next half hour doing crunches, crunches with medicine ball and an exercise ball and trying to balance 10 different ways on an exercise ball. Seriously kicked my ass :D

NateDogg
09-25-2002, 07:24 PM
09/25/2002

General Comments:
Back felt good today. As I said, my PT kicked my ass this morning! Pretty good day overall. Kinda slow at work, but that's just how it has been lately.

Training:

LEGS
Squat:
1 / 95 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 185 / 10
4 / 185 / 10

Stopped at 4 sets again, simply out of frustration, and not wanting to hurt myself. I just do not have the strength anywhere near back yet.

Leg Extension:
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 135 / 10

These felt awesome. Really intense squeeze on each one.

Straight LDL:
1 / 45 / 10
2 / 65 / 10
3 / 125 / 10

Thought I would give these a shot. They felt ok. Next time I will do them before leg extensions though. Quads were on fire!

Donkey Raise:
1 / 200 / 10
2 / 200 / 10
3 / 260 / 5 :eek:

Strongest I have ever felt on these once again! :thumbup: Just wanted to see if I could get the 260 for any amount of reps on the last set. Just stopped at five, although I don't think I would have been able to get six.

Diet:
Ate pretty well. Enough volume, just not great timing of meals.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
09-27-2002, 06:59 PM
09/27/2002

General Comments:
Back feels...ok...today. Not great. I do not think squats the other day was such a good idea yet. I am now very aware of the tightness in my hip flexors. I need to fix that, and I am working on it. Other than that, great day. Even with the crappy weather. I really have nothing to complain about, which is awesome.
Training:
PULL Day today

Pull-Ups:
1 / 100 / 10
2 / 130 / 10
3 / 185 / 10
4 / 195 / 6
5 / 205 / 3

Well, I am totally not digging 8-10 reps. I get so sense of satisfaction as my weights have just sucked and are not progressing. That said, this workout marks my transition to Accipiter's heavy sets first. Thanks for the idea bro! (Yeah I know he wasn't the first to ever think of it).
Close Grip Cable Row:
1 / 180 / 3
2 / 150 / 6f
3 / 105 / 10

My first attempt at heavy sets first. Went really well. I am shooting for three working sets of the following rep ranges: 3-5, 6-8, and 10-12. Someone let me know if this does not look good to them.

DB Shrug:
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 205 / 5
3 / 185 / 10

Went well. I went back to barbell and did them behind my back. We followed these up with some static holds @ 245. Held it for about 10 seconds each time. Found out that my strongest grip is palms facing away from me :confused:

BB Curl:
1 / 80 / 5 (too light)
2 / 70 / 8
3 / 60 / 8

My second attempt at heavy sets first. Not bad. It might be a few attempts before I can get the weight up or down so I am in the ranges I am shooting for.

DB Curl:
1 / 25 / 10
2 / 22.5 / 10

Struggled through these, but got 'em all.

Diet:
Ate pretty well today. I'm having one of those huge pre-made shakes with like a thousand calories in it right now (post-workout). I will probably save some for tomorrow (or my next workout) rather than down 1000+ calories in one sitting.
LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
09-28-2002, 10:55 AM
I just got back from golfing. Shot a personal best (by FAR) with a 50 for 9 holes. My previous best was a 54, on the same course. Going out again tomorrow, hopefully with my Dad if he can get out here.

LATER,

NateDogg

Silverback
09-28-2002, 03:28 PM
1000+ calorie shakes shibby thats some chugging.

keep plugging away strength will come, just a quick Q how come strength is more important to you? i aint dissing u, but just wanted to know the reasoning. Nice pull ups :)

NateDogg
09-29-2002, 06:02 PM
1000+ calorie shakes shibby thats some chugging.

keep plugging away strength will come, just a quick Q how come strength is more important to you? i aint dissing u, but just wanted to know the reasoning. Nice pull ups :)

Strength is more important to me because 1) I have just about reached the weight where I have wanted to be (185-190) I'm hovering around 183-185 right now, so I am fine at this point with adding strength more quickly even if it means slowing down size gains. 2) I just get a better feeling from a PB on a lift than I do looking in the mirror at my muscles, or having someone comment on them (although I have no problem with that :D ) Don't get me wrong, I would still like to get bigger, I would just rather get there more slowly and focus on always being strong for my size. It's funny I seem to remember saying at some point, in this journal maybe, that size is more important to me than strength. I think I may be becoming a mini-MonStar ;) I am just not getting the satisfaction out of 8-10 rep workouts, so I am broadening my rep range with the heavy sets first program.

Thanks for the support :D

NateDogg

NateDogg
10-01-2002, 10:39 AM
Had a great push workout last night. I will post it after work today. I weighed in at 187 :eek: after my workout. SA-WEET! I have not been weighing myself consistently. However, when I have done it it has been at night, fully clothed, post workout. Last time I weighed myself (I don't know, a couple weeks ago) I was at ~183, now 187, I'm pretty psyched.

Anyway... to anyone who has PS2 and liked "Ghosts and Goblins" (I think that's what it was called, for Sega Genesis, go get "Maximo." This game is awesome, and because only us "old fogeys" know about "Ghosts and Goblins" it has not been selling well (although rated very highly) and I was able to get it new for $32.00 US. Wicked sweet game, I am going to go home and play it all night tonight...if I can get control of the TV :D

NateDogg
10-01-2002, 06:13 PM
09/30/2002

General Comments:
Back felt ok yesterday. Not great, but not too bad. I am basically doing my stretches and exercises and waiting it out to see if it is going to get up to 90-100% any time soon. If it does not, then it's back to the docs for more therapy.

Training:
PUSH Day today...this is my first real attempt at heavy sets first. I think it went REALLY well :D
DIPS
1 / 145 / 10 warmup
2 / 145 / 6 warmup
3 / 265 / 5
4 / 255 / 7f
5 / 235 / 7.5f

New PB on the first working set and it felt really light! Going to go up to at least 275 next time. The rest of them were tough though and I probably had too much weight on there.

Flat DB Press
1 / 80 / 4f
2 / 70 / 6.5f
3 / 55 / 10

Hopefully I will be back up at 90's for my first set on these soon. Then break through that!

DB Flye
1 / 30 / 10
2 / 30 / 10
3 / 30 / 10

Good stretch, good elbow position and angle...ditto from last time for today

Tricep Push-downs
1 / 160 / 5
2 / 145 / 7f
3 / 120 / 10

I need to go back to the machine near the wall for these. I think it may be the fact that I can look in the mirror and see myself doing them there, but I just do not get as good a workout, I don't think, on the exact same machine out in the open in the gym.

Lat Raise
1 / 22.5 / 10
2 / 22.5 / 10

Got those two sets at 22.5!

Diet:
Ate very well yesterday and today. Although I am enjoying a beer at the moment :eek:
LATER,

NateDogg

Silverback
10-02-2002, 02:18 PM
ghosts and goblins was awsome, old skool at its finest, do you know whether it was released in the uk, becuase me want some.

i appreciate what your saying about strength, and you got some good stuff, what would you reccoemend for improving db bench i mean ur pushing 90's, i can do 7reps on 70's my new pb and i was feeling great then i saw your lifts which brought me down to earth.

What are you doing with ur diet then, i.e. eating to make small gains/maintenance etc.. talk soon

BR, keep it up!

NateDogg
10-02-2002, 03:09 PM
ghosts and goblins was awsome, old skool at its finest, do you know whether it was released in the uk, becuase me want some.

***No idea, sorry :(

i appreciate what your saying about strength, and you got some good stuff, what would you reccoemend for improving db bench i mean ur pushing 90's, i can do 7reps on 70's my new pb and i was feeling great then i saw your lifts which brought me down to earth.

***Thanks bro, but they're not all that great. Personally, the gains I have made in both strength and size I attribute to finally eating enough food and 5X5 (for me that meant grab two warm-up sets, then three sets at a weight I can get 5 reps at, but probably not finish all three sets at 5 reps...go up when I got to 5 reps for all three sets) training. I eat every three hours every day. I do not count calories or anything like that, and because of that I have put on some fat, but I know I can get rid of it when I want to. I eat a lot of steak, chicken, tuna, potato, sweet potato, brown rice, etc... For me it has been that simple, just eat enough and train properly. I will someday go back to 5X5 I am sure, but for now I am trying out Accipiter's heavy sets first to see how that goes. I like it so far.

What are you doing with ur diet then, i.e. eating to make small gains/maintenance etc.. talk soon

***See above...As I said, Iam not worrying about my weight, although it feels good to see it keep going up slowly (and not being a fat ass). The weight is just coming with eating enough.

BR, keep it up!

Thanks again for the support. Hey, have you started a journal? I wanted to put this in there so you'd see it for sure, but I couldn't find yours. You should definitely start one!

NateDogg

Silverback
10-02-2002, 03:17 PM
don't worry ive seen it! i visit ur journal alot, i feel as though im on the same wave-length as you in certain respects.

As for the journal im considering it, maybe in a few weeks, im just tying to increase my lifts so they look a bit more respectable :)

br

NateDogg
10-02-2002, 04:13 PM
don't worry ive seen it! i visit ur journal alot, i feel as though im on the same wave-length as you in certain respects.

***Cool, thanks :D

As for the journal im considering it, maybe in a few weeks, im just tying to increase my lifts so they look a bit more respectable :)

***I would start it now. 70's for 7 reps on DB press is more than many here can do. It has helped me keep in line a bit, especially lately. Today my lifting partner is home sick as I just found out, but I am going to go anyway 1) because it's leg day and I want to see how my back feels. 2) because I want to come home afterwards and update my journal. It's quite the sense of accomplishment, even if my lifts are not that great yet (especially legs lately due to the back issues) I get to see progress made. Just going to the gym is A LOT more than billions (well at least hundreds of millions anyway) of people in this world can say they do...be proud of it!

br

NateDogg
10-02-2002, 06:27 PM
10/02/2002

General Comments:
My back feels funny. It just seems like it's almost right, but is just not quite there. I had some pain tonight when squatting, but it seemed to be just normal low back stiffness and such due to squatting.

Training:

LEGS
Squat:
1 / 45 / 12
2 / 135 / 8
3 / 185 / 5
4 / 205 / 5
5 / 225 / 5

As I said in my general comments, my back felt not quite right, but better than it has so I went for it a little more. Will probably be at this weight for a while whilst I get my hip flexors stretched out so I can go deeper.

Leg Extension:
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 165 / 10
3 / 165 / 10

Seemed really light.

Seated Hamstring Curl:
1 / 11 / 10
2 / 11 / 10
3 / 11 / 10

Decided to avoid the SLDL's today. No other reason than not pushing my luck today. These felt really good though. I like the seated better than the prone as it seems harded to cheat.

Donkey Raise:
1 / 265 / 5
2 / 240 / 8
3 / 220 / 8

Felt strong on these once again.

It has probably been noticed that I did not do heavy sets first on squats. Well, basically it is just because I do not yet know what heavy is yet for me and I am just really feeling it out right now to see how high I can go comfortably while progressing slowly, if at all some weeks.
Diet:
I ate AWESOME today. Very clean, all very lean steak, chicken, roasted potato and as usual, oatmeal for breakfast. I need to go and get some more whey as soon as I can get some cash :D

LATER,

NateDogg

Silverback
10-03-2002, 12:14 PM
i hear ya on the squats, i now have visions of J-P Fux falling under the weight and screwing both his quad and knee.

well done on the diet, nice and clean thats what i like!

About the journal, my strength is alright but i want to bring my upper body on a par with my legs as i have to play catch-up and want to wait till i am ready, to be honest its just arms, which is quite strange becuase that is the body part you first associate with bodybuilders :(

NateDogg
10-04-2002, 09:08 PM
Thanks, and good enough...good luck in getting up to what you feel are "journal worthy" lifts ;)

NateDogg
10-04-2002, 09:18 PM
10/04/2002

General Comments:
My back feels really great today. A little normal soreness from squats a couple days ago, but other than that...nothing really. Quite an empty weekend ahead of me. I'm thinking I'll hit the driving range tomorrow and the gym on Sunday (push), but other than that...well...not much. I'm hoping to get out to see "Red Dragon." Should be awesome, but it's most likely sold out for at least a few days. Although, the buzz doesn't seem the same as it was for "Hannibal." We'll see.

Training:
PULL Day today

Pull-Ups:
1 / 100 / 10
2 / 150 / 6
3 / 215 / 5 :eek:
4 / 200 / 7f
5 / 185 / 8f

Awesome. I am loving heavy sets first still.

Close Grip Cable Row:
1 / 170 / 3f
2 / 140 / 7f
3 / 110 / 10

These were much better than last time. Still might be too heavy though after pull-ups. I'll have to see how it goes next time.

DB Shrug:
1 / 205 / 7
2 / 225 / 5
3 / 135 / 12

I am still trying to get my weights, form, etc down on these. I have never really done shrugs consistently until now.

EZ- curl bar Curl:
1 / 85 / 5
2 / 70 / 8
3 / 60 / 9f

Went with the EZ-curl bar this time as the straight bar was bothering my wrists quite a bit last time, even after fiddling with my grip width. I liked these better and will stick with them for the time being.

DB Curl:
1 / 25 / 10
2 / 25 / 10

Once again these were a struggle, but I was able to get both sets completed at 25's this time :thumbup:

Diet:
I ate very cleanly today, not quite enough food in the middle of the day, at work, as I found myself at the tail end of the week's cooked food. Grilling up some more chicken and steak tomorrow.

LATER,

NateDogg

Silverback
10-05-2002, 03:14 AM
Sensational pull ups, strength really showing promenance there, keep it up.

What did you think to Hannibal, imo it was a bit stale, preffered Silence of the Lambs, then again i havent watched that for a while, saw Natural Born Killers for the first time yesterday, man it was one freaked out film, i thought i was going to have nightmares.

NateDogg
10-05-2002, 06:46 AM
Sensational pull ups, strength really showing promenance there, keep it up.

***Thanks! Really, I mean that, comments like that mean a lot!!!

What did you think to Hannibal, imo it was a bit stale, preffered Silence of the Lambs, then again i havent watched that for a while, saw Natural Born Killers for the first time yesterday, man it was one freaked out film, i thought i was going to have nightmares.

***I liked it enough to buy it. I think it was right on par with "Silence of the Lambs," if not even more graphic. I want to go and rent "Manhunter" the original "Red Dragon" movie. I want to see it again so I can compare. I've seen it, but it was a LOOOONG time ago! The reviews I have read argue that "Manhunter" was fine and didn't need to be remade. Haha, I have seen "Natural Born Killers" once. I was in high school and just did not get it. I want to see it again now that I am a totally different person, more perceptive and such, to see what I can take from it. I'll have to rent that one too!

Silverback
10-05-2002, 10:21 AM
no probs man you deserve all the credit you get.

What do you reckon about the Steelers chances this year? i know they lost two on the bounce but do they look good enough? there squad man for man seems quality.

NateDogg
10-05-2002, 11:06 AM
no probs man you deserve all the credit you get.

What do you reckon about the Steelers chances this year? i know they lost two on the bounce but do they look good enough? there squad man for man seems quality.

They have a lot of talent, but they have a lot of problems too (Kordell). The rest of the season depends on Tommy Maddux's ability to get it done...and he has never been anything special in the NFL.

NateDogg
10-06-2002, 02:43 PM
10/06/2002

General Comments:
It has been quite the lazy weekend for me. I never do all THAT much on the weekends, but today and yesterday, except for a great workout this morning, I have done nothing but post on WBB and watch football and baseball. Next weekend will be more "active" as I have a golf tournament (mostly for fun) on Saturday back home. Should be a blast, although I really broke my driver at the driving range. The guy who fixed it after my g/f broke it the first time apparently guarantees his work. Since it's been bent almost ever since I got it (bent but hit fine) and now it's definitely broken, hopefully he'll fix it again. If not, then I get to get a new driver during the off-season ;) This one was free anyway, and has so far cost me only 50 bucks so I can't really complain. Bummer about the Pat's game today. That was not fun to watch. They had better get their act together. Granted Miami is a good team, but they just did not play at their best, IMHO.

Training:

In case anyone was wondering before... :eek: = personal best.

PUSH Day today

DIPS
1 / 100 / 10 warmup
2 / 135 / 7 warmup
3 / 275 / 4.5f :eek:
4 / 250 / 7
5 / 230 / 7

New PB on the first working set. The last set was tough though and I probably had too much weight on there.

Flat DB Press
1 / 80 / 4.5f
2 / 65 / 8
3 / 55 / 9

Hopefully I will be back up at 90's for my first set on these soon. Then break through that...ditto from last time for today. However, as long as I am still progressing on dips, I am not worrying about these too much.

DB Flye
1 / 30 / 10
2 / 30 / 10
3 / 30 / 10

Good stretch, good elbow position and angle...ditto from last time for today

Tricep Push-downs
1 / 170 / 4f :eek:
2 / 140 / 8
3 / 130 / 8f

Got back to the machine on the wall and got a PB. It's exactly the same as the other one, just in a different place in the gym...totally mental...I'm weird.

Lat Raise
1 / 22.5 / 10
2 / 22.5 / 10

Got those two sets at 22.5! Again, not too worried about progression on these. More there to get some medial delt work in there somewhere

Diet:
Like I said, I have just been around the house all weekend. Therefore, I have eaten plenty of clean food.

LATER,

NateDogg

Silverback
10-06-2002, 02:47 PM
Dips are proving to be a strong point, why did you think that ur last set was too heavy? 7 reps seems good enough to me weight wise.

cheers for the info on the steelers too thanks nate :thumbup:

NateDogg
10-06-2002, 02:52 PM
Dips are proving to be a strong point, why did you think that ur last set was too heavy? 7 reps seems good enough to me weight wise.

cheers for the info on the steelers too thanks nate :thumbup:

Thanks,

I have been trying to attain the following rep ranges in my three working sets...set 1 = 3-5 reps, set 2 = 6-8 reps, set 3 = 8-10 reps. I just didn't get there on my third set, that's all. Getting two plates was an awesome feeling though. Rather intimidating looking down at them. There was this kid doing dips on the machine on the other side of a support beam from me. He stopped, got off, and stood just off to the side and in front of me to watch. It kinda bothered me, but not too much as I refused to look up at him, acting like I didn't know he was there.

Hey those Steelers were almost able to pull one out today. They didn't, but Maddox actually looked pretty good!

NateDogg
10-10-2002, 05:12 PM
10/09/2002

General Comments:
Logging yesterday's workout because I went to bed soon after it last night.
Training:
LEGS
Conventional Deads:
1 / 45 / 10
2 / 135 / 10
3 / 185 / 10
4 / 225 / 5
5 / 225 / 5

I stated in some thread somewhere that I was going to start alternating deads and squats each leg workout. These were awesome. I have not done them since I hurt my back, great to get back at it. No pain today from them so I think I am still doing well! *knocks on wood* Hopefully I will get to the point where I can start "heavy sets first on my squats and deads soon. I may start it up without using what I know are my best lifts, or close to it, just so I will have somewhere to progress from.

Leg Extension:
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 172.5 / 10
3 / 172.5 / 10

Great squeeze as usual.

Seated Hamstring Curl/Prone Hamstring Curl
1 / 10 / 10
2 / 10 / 10
3 / 60 / 10

Switched to prone leg curl on third set. I am going to stick with those for a bit for a change.

Donkey Raise:
1 / 270 / 5 :eek:
2 / 240 / 8
3 / 220 / 8

Felt strong on these once again.

Diet:
I have been eating pretty well the last couple days. My only problem, as usual is not quite enough food. Although I have had great energy during workouts and such so I guess it may be just enough!

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
10-12-2002, 12:20 PM
10/12/2002

General Comments:
Well, I'm back in my hometown for the day. I was supposed to be in a golf tournament this weekend as I mentioned. It's been postponed though so I am just chillin'. I did get to workout, which was awesome, but I'm a retard and didn't look in my logbook or journal before I did, so I ended up skipping my push workout this cycle in favor of a second pull day. No problems with weight though so I guess it's ok. My push days seem to be progressing better than my pulls, so I guess another day in there can't hurt either.

Training:
PULL Day today

Pull-Ups:
1 / 185 / 6
2 / 185 / 6
3 / 220 / 5f :eek:
4 / 200 / 6f
5 / 185 / 7f

Did not have an easy to use assistance pull-up station, so just used bw to warm up.

These were great. Weird being at a different gym, but got a new PB anyway. I actually screwed up here too and did my first working set at 215, but didn't count it because I wanted to progress from last time. So I rested for 5 minutes or so then started again at 220.

Nautilus Compound Row:
1 / 200 / 5
2 / 170 / 8
3 / 150 / 10

I really like this machine. Didn't have a cable row available, but this was a nice change anway.
BB Shrug:
1 / 205 / 5
2 / 170 / 10
3 / 135 / 10

I really suck at these. I may start looking for a substitute for shrugs. I just can not get them done so that I feel them well in my traps. I might try switching back to dumbbells too.

EZ- curl bar Curl:
1 / 90 / 5
2 / 70 / 8
3 / 60 / 10

Another recent personal best... no :eek: as I have been here before. I'm getting back up there though.

DB Curl:
1 / 25 / 10
2 / 25 / 10

Got these both at 25 again. I will probably go up to 30's or at least 27.5 next time.

Diet:
I think it's going to be a struggle to eat well at least today. I'll get through it though. Off to eat a can of tuna actually :D .
LATER,

NateDogg

Silverback
10-13-2002, 06:40 AM
gr8 work on the pull-ups, congrats on the new pb. Same with the ez bar curls :)

How come you can't eat well today? is it because u at home, i dont understand?

BR

MonStar
10-13-2002, 07:47 AM
Nautilus Compound Row:
1 / 200 / 5
2 / 170 / 8
3 / 150 / 10

Is this rowing apparatus similar to my support rows ND? With your chest against a support pad?

NateDogg
10-13-2002, 08:47 AM
gr8 work on the pull-ups, congrats on the new pb. Same with the ez bar curls :)

How come you can't eat well today? is it because u at home, i dont understand?

BR

Thanks BR.

Well it actually turned out ok with eating. I think I was just being lazy tuttut but I got my motivation back up and was able to eat pretty well. The one thing I missed because I forgot to bring them home was my postworkout smarties and whey shake. :( No problem though.

NateDogg
10-13-2002, 08:47 AM

Is this rowing apparatus similar to my support rows ND? With your chest against a support pad?

Same movement, only it has a weight stack instead of being plate loaded as I remember yours being.

MonStar
10-14-2002, 09:11 AM
Same movement, only it has a weight stack instead of being plate loaded as I remember yours being.

Oh okay thats cool ND---its practically impossible to compare poundages though on 2 back machines unless they are the same indentical one ya know? 200 lbs. on mine might be 250 lbs. on yours and vice versa. Thats the only thing that I dont like about using a plate-loaded support row machine. Oh well. I can compare with chris mason---but its obviously not much of a comparsion. 290 vs. 390 or something like that. :eek::eek:

NateDogg
10-14-2002, 09:25 AM

Oh okay thats cool ND---its practically impossible to compare poundages though on 2 back machines unless they are the same indentical one ya know? 200 lbs. on mine might be 250 lbs. on yours and vice versa. Thats the only thing that I dont like about using a plate-loaded support row machine. Oh well. I can compare with chris mason---but its obviously not much of a comparsion. 290 vs. 390 or something like that. :eek::eek:

I'm sure whatever mine would equal out to be on a plate load machine is much less than whatever you are lifting! Good luck catching Chris :D

NateDogg
10-15-2002, 01:34 PM
10/15/2002

General Comments:
I guess I wasn't all that screwed up on my workouts. I must have just written down my last push workout somewhere else while I was lifting, not in my regular book. Anyway, I took the day off of work today as my g/f had the day off and we thought it would be a good one to spend together. Beautiful weather today. Going to dinner with my g/f and my family pretty soon. Looking forward to a steak or something to that effect :D
Training:

PUSH Day today

DIPS
1 / 100 / 12 warmup
2 / 130 / 10 warmup
3 / 280 / 5f :eek:
4 / 250 / 7f
5 / 230 / 7.5f

Another PB, I really love weighted dips. I get lots of attention when I am doing them. Attention that I try to ignore.

Flat DB Press
1 / 80 / 5f
2 / 65 / 8
3 / 55 / 10

Went well. Had more strength that I thought I would after another PB on dips.

DB Flye
1 / 30 / 10
2 / 30 / 10
3 / 30 / 10

Good stretch, good squeeze as usual.

Tricep Push-downs
1 / 150 / 5
2 / 130 / 8
3 / 110 / 10

I had forgotten what I did last time, and as I said, didn't write it down in my book. I guesstimated and came up quite short as it seems. I did 170 for 4 last time, started with 150 this time.

Lat Raise
1 / 22.5 / 10
2 / 25 / 10

Cheated a little on that second set to get the 25's for 10.

Diet:
Have been eating well today and plan to continue.

LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
10-16-2002, 05:17 AM
Flat DB Press
1 / 80 / 5f

Strength is really coming up on these ND! Looking good man. Keep up the hard work. :):)

NateDogg
10-16-2002, 09:55 AM

Strength is really coming up on these ND! Looking good man. Keep up the hard work. :):)

Thanks for the support Mike. I am hoping to get back to where I had been, close to getting 95's, but as it's my second exercise and I am really focusing on dips, I am of the I'll get there eventually mentality here.

NateDogg
10-17-2002, 05:23 PM
Well, just got back from a pathetic leg workout. I only lasted three sets of squats so I am not even going to bother posting it. The bottom line is that squats seem to be fading out of the question for now with my back issues. I am so freakin' frustrated. I am planning on going back tomorrow to try front squats in lieu of back squats. I think they may help as they will force me to stay upright.

MonStar
10-17-2002, 09:15 PM
Man I hate injuries and joint problems and all that. I see that youre having some trouble with your lower back. Good luck man, its a b*tch I know. I had knee surgery a few years back and couldnt train my legs with full intensity for probably a good solid 4-5 months.

NateDogg
10-19-2002, 04:32 PM
Man I hate injuries and joint problems and all that. I see that youre having some trouble with your lower back. Good luck man, its a b*tch I know. I had knee surgery a few years back and couldnt train my legs with full intensity for probably a good solid 4-5 months.

Thanks man. I just really have to learn to take it easy for as long as I need to. And if needed, go back to the doc. Being relatively young is a downfall here IMO. I guess I heal faster than I would, but I have that damned feeling that putting on size and getting stronger is more important than my long term health. I guess what I am saying is that it's tough to look that far into the future, when back problems and such become bigger problems, when I am so young (well, I think I'm young anyway...24). Kinda did a stupid thing last night with deads, went up to 235 and I'm paying for it today. I am going to get a belt to use when I am at my "near max" lifts. I already have one, I just have to go and get it from my parents house.

NateDogg
10-19-2002, 04:39 PM
10/18/2002

General Comments:
Logging yesterday's workout because I went to bed soon after it last night. Had a pretty good day today (10/19). Got to golf in the morning, first time in a few weeks. This being my first golf off-season coming up, it's gonna be tough!

Training:
LEGS

Conventional Deads:
1 / 45 / 12
2 / 135 / 5
3 / 225 / 5
4 / 225 / 5
5 / 235 / 5

Like I said, gonna stick with deads (I hope) at least for now. I say "I hope" because I'm freakin' hurtin' today. It's a different hurt than my back problem so it may not be it. I will know in a few days I guess.

Leg Extension:
1 / 165 / 10
2 / 180 / 10
3 / 180 / 10

Great squeeze as usual.

Prone Hamstring Curl
1 / 60 / 10
2 / 70 / 10
3 / 70 / 10

Switched to prone leg curl on third set. I am going to stick with those for a bit for a change.

Seated Calf Raise:
1 / 80 / 10
2 / 125 / 8
3 / 125 / 7

Did seated calf raises today just to change it up a bit.

Diet:
A new Stop&Shop just opened near me. I am pretty psyched. I grew up with these grocery stores, and had my first real job at one, but have not been reasonably close to one in 2 or 3 years. Looking forward to shopping there. I had been going to Shaw's which is ok, but I love my Stop&Shop...I really need to get out more...

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
10-21-2002, 11:03 AM
I feel better today. Maybe I did just have some normal "from lifting" pain! :D

On another note... :swear: I was supposed to be going to the Bills / Pats game in Buffalo in a couple weeks. It fell through. We left it up to the wrong people to make sure we had tickets. I'll get over it I guess. It sucks though as it would have been my g/f's first trip to an NFL game :(

galileo
10-21-2002, 11:06 AM
Hi. You're way stronger than me. Bye.

NateDogg
10-21-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by galileo
Hi. You're way stronger than me. Bye.

Thanks bro... ;)

galileo
10-22-2002, 06:43 AM
How much do you weigh right now?

MonStar
10-22-2002, 08:03 AM
Conventional Deads:
1 / 45 / 12
2 / 135 / 5
3 / 225 / 5
4 / 225 / 5
5 / 235 / 5

Nice strength ND!! :thumbup::thumbup: Keep up the hard work man, seriously. I am impressed.

NateDogg
10-22-2002, 08:13 AM
How much do you weigh right now?

~187

NateDogg
10-22-2002, 08:15 AM

Nice strength ND!! :thumbup::thumbup: Keep up the hard work man, seriously. I am impressed.

Thanks Mike. That's nowhere near my max of ~315 for 5 reps before I had all my back problems. However, slowly but surely I'll get back there and then surpass that. ;)

NateDogg
10-22-2002, 08:08 PM
10/22/2002

General Comments:
Logging last night's workout as I went to bed after it last night. Watchin' a little baseball, World Series style. I am loving these Angels! Scrappy team if I ever saw one. Had another boring day at work today. Oh well, it's a job right? In this economy I guess that's all one can hope for.

Training:
PULL Day today

Pull-Ups:
1 / 130 / 6
2 / 145 / 6
3 / 225 / 4.75f :eek:
4 / 200 / 6.5f
5 / 185 / 6.75f

Another PB! Did I mention that I am loving heavy sets first? It has actually trickled its way down to most of the rest of my workouts each day as well...as you will see.

Cybex Compound Row:
1 / 150 / 5
2 / 130 / 8
3 / 100 / 10

Got away from the cable row again. I am going to stick with this one for a bit as I really like it. It's also easier on my back as it has the chest support pad that cable rowing does not.

DB Shrug:
1 / 65 / 10
2 / 70 / 10
3 / 70 / 10

Back to dumbbells...I actually did well with these! Great squeeze. I think dropping the weight a bit might have been the key.

EZ- curl bar Curl:
1 / 95 / 5
2 / 75 / 8
3 / 65 / 9.5f

Another recent personal best... no :eek: as I have been here before. I'm getting back up there though.

DB Curl:
1 / 25 / 10
2 / 20 / 10

Yeah right. These freakin' killed me! I HAD to drop the weight for the second set or I would have gotten maybe 6 reps with good form.

Diet:
Been eating very well lately. Had a barbque chicken pizza (with about half the cheese they usually put on it). :eek: It was MOST EXCELLENT!!!

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
10-25-2002, 04:03 PM
10/25/2002

General Comments:
Logging yesterday's workout because I went to bed soon after it last night. I had ordered "Pumping Iron" a week ago or so and it came last night. I got to watch it with my g/f. Freakin' awesome! It was really inspiring. Good timing too as our gym friends are back from Disney World and we are working out with them tonight. It will be the first time I will have gone two days in a row in quite a while. I feel plenty rested though for a PUSH workout tonight.

Training:
LEGS

Conventional Deads:
1 / 45 / 12
2 / 135 / 5
3 / 235 / 1
4 / 245 / 1
5 / 255 / 1
6 / 135 / 6

As has been suggested by quite a few people here, and practiced by more it seems, I decided to try some singles. Since I am not used to doing them I really did not get into much of a "rythym" like I usually do. I will continue with them though and hopefully will get the hang of it.

Front Squats:
1 / 45 / 12
2 / 95 / 11
3 / 115 / 9

This is the first time I have ever done these. I really liked them. Felt better on my back than regular squats. Granted the weights are much lower. I will probably continue these.

Leg Extension:
1 / 180 / 10
2 / 180 / 10

Great squeeze as usual. Dropped to 2 sets with the introduction of front squats.

Prone Hamstring Curl
1 / 70 / 10
2 / 70 / 10

Dropped to 2 sets on these too. Really great form and squeeze at the top on these as well.

Donkey Raise:
1 / 180 / 18
2 / 140 / 10
3 / 100 / 9

These were done in a drop set fashion. Hurt like hell. Probably didn't do much good, but something different.

Diet:
Eating just fine. :D

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
10-31-2002, 05:38 PM
10/31/2002

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!

General Comments:
Well, it's been so long since I was last at the gym, I can't seem to remember when this last workout took place. I would guess it was 4 or 5 days ago. I haven't felt all that great the last few days. Left work early on Tuesday. Wicked stiffness in my neck and a headache. It's pretty much gone away now and I'm gonna hit the weights tonight. I can't wait to get back there! Good news too as my g/f will be joining me.

A good friend of mine had her last day at work with us today. She is soon moving back to her home state...on the other side of the country. It was a tough day. We are all taking her out next Thursday night though for a send-off, so I have that to look forward too. She'll be missed for sure. She's moving on to bigger and better things though so more power to her :D

I recently found out that the doctor I had quite randomly chosen (except for being under the impression that he was covered by my insurance) was not covered by my insurance. Because I was given the impression that he was at my doctor's office, I am not going to have to pay my bill, the office is taking it. I thought that was a good way to handle things and I am happy with it. They probably legally did not have to pay it, but they did not even put up a stink when I questioned why I received the bill and not my insurance co. I am going to stay at the same office, just switch docs to someone I know for sure is covered. It looks as though it's going to have to be a female. I've never had a female doc before. We'll see how that goes I guess. Not a bad thing, just different. I guess I had a good first exposure to it though as my first appt at the place was with a female nurse practitioner and I had no problems at all.

Pull workout shortly. I'll be back to post that later.

Training:

PUSH Day today

DIPS
1 / 130 / 12 warmup
2 / 150 / 10 warmup
3 / 285 / 3 :eek:
4 / 250 / 8
5 / 215 / 6...pause...7, 8f

These are starting to get really heavy for me. I may end up switching them out soon in favor of bringing up my DB press in order to give my shoulders a rest.

Flat DB Press
1 / 85 / 4.25f
2 / 70 / 8
3 / 60 / 8f

Went well. Had more strength that I thought I would after another PB on dips.

DB Flye
1 / 30 / 10
2 / 30 / 8
3 skipped

Good stretch, good squeeze as usual. I had a strange feeling in my right shoulder at the end of my 2nd set. Possibly heavy dip related. Therefore, I stopped the second set short, and skipped the third. Now that it is a few days later however, I am able to report that I am feeling no ill effects :D

Tricep Push-downs
1 / 155 / 8
2 / 160 / 5
3 / 110 / 8

I have no idea what happened here. Same machine. Same form. Preceded by the same exercises, but my strength was through the roof on these!! I really couldn't believe it. I actually did the last two sets as a drop set.

Lat Raise
1 / 22.5 / 10
2 / 22.5 / 10

Went back to the 22.5's for these. Dead tired at this point.

[I]Diet:
Eating has been up and down. I am not really worried about the last few days though as I had not been lifting and was all but completely recovered from this workout. I ate much better yesterday and today also.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
10-31-2002, 09:21 PM
10/31/2002

RANT:
Ok, my gym has gone from a pretty solid, relatively hardcore gym to a freakin' piss poor, yuppie, freakin' health club or something. It's a Gold's Gym and I have had no complaints to speak of until today. There had been TV's set up all over the gym for a few weeks now. However, until today they had never been turned on. I am talking about TV's (at least 7 or 8) placed in various locations in front of benches, machines (not cardio, resistance training machines), etc. This has to be the worst freakin' idea in the history of GOld's Gym. To top it all off, here is a sampling of what was on "Gold's Gym Broadcasting Network" while we were there trying to workout tonight. It was all music videos by....drum roll...98 Degrees, The Ramones, Six Pence None the Richer, Blaque, Gloria Estefan. Yeah, I'm serious. For those that do not know any of those bands/singers, it is all top 40 crap that has no business being played over the stereo at the gym, let alone having the music video blasting in your face while you're trying to lift. Needless to say it was not one of my best workouts, although I did get another PB on pull-ups. Also needless to say...I will be wearing my headphones EVERY time I go to the gym from this point forward.
END RANT

Training:
PULL Day today

Pull-Ups:
1 / 130 / 10
2 / 165 / 5
3 / 230 / 4.75f :eek:
4 / 200 / 6.25f
5 / 165 / 9.5f

Like I said, another PB, it was pretty much downhill from here though.

Cybex Compound Row:
1 / 160 / 5
2 / 140 / 8
3 / 110 / 10

I really like this machine, these didn't go too bad, although on of the TV"s in right in your face when you're on this machine.

DB Shrug:
1 / 70 / 10
2 / 70 / 10
3 / 80 / 10

These were great again.

EZ- curl bar Curl:
1 / skipped
2 / skipped
3 / skipped

No idea what happened here. I couldn't lift ANYTHING respectable to me. I was too frustrated, so I skipped these.

DB Curl:
1 / 30 / 10
2 / 40 / 4f

Did both of these sets sitting backwards on a preacher bench so my elbows were kept stationary throughout the lift. I really liked these.
Diet:
Ate awesome today.

LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
10-31-2002, 10:26 PM
Cybex Compound Row:
1 / 160 / 5
2 / 140 / 8
3 / 110 / 10

I am assuming that this compound row is probably similar to my support rows ND---great apparatus isnt it?

NateDogg
11-01-2002, 07:39 AM

I am assuming that this compound row is probably similar to my support rows ND---great apparatus isnt it?

Pretty much. Yeah I really like it.

MonStar
11-01-2002, 07:41 AM
Pretty much. Yeah I really like it.

Is your chest supported against a pad? What style grip are you using?

NateDogg
11-01-2002, 07:56 AM
It's this one.

I use the handles pointing down.

MonStar
11-01-2002, 08:02 AM
It's this one.

I use the handles pointing down.

Oh okay ND---looks good man. I think all supported row machines are a good choice for lat development. Just my observation but my lats have grown tremdendously after including supported rows in my routine.

ryan1117
11-01-2002, 02:13 PM
I am talking about TV's (at least 7 or 8) placed in various locations in front of benches, machines (not cardio, resistance training machines), etc. This has to be the worst freakin' idea in the history of GOld's Gym. My gym will also have TVs when they finish remodeling. I can see it now, some guy will just sit down and hog up a bench to watch TV! I sure hope they limit the TVs to the cardio area.

NateDogg
11-01-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by ryan1117
My gym will also have TVs when they finish remodeling. I can see it now, some guy will just sit down and hog up a bench to watch TV! I sure hope they limit the TVs to the cardio area.

Is your's a Gold's too? I can not fathom the how the discussion went that resulted in having TV's in the freeweight area playing pop music. Unbelievable.

ryan1117
11-01-2002, 02:40 PM
Is your's a Gold's too?
No, mine is the University's rec center. It bothers me though that they spend money on TVs when they need to spend the extra money on more equipment. Our weightroom is decent sized and has nearly everything important, but it is always super crowded there regardless of the time of day.

NateDogg
11-01-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by ryan1117

No, mine is the University's rec center. It bothers me though that they spend money on TVs when they need to spend the extra money on more equipment. Our weightroom is decent sized and has nearly everything important, but it is always super crowded there regardless of the time of day.

Gotcha. My Gold's is awesome equipment wise. I could not ask for more. However, they did increase the cost of membership to help pay for the TV's. I can tell you that although with Halloween there were maybe 15 people there last night...not more than 3 of them wanted the damned TV's on. There was open b!tching going on. The worst part is is that they never polled us or had a suggestion box or anything. It was like, here you go, you've got nice TV's now, so we'll have to charge you more to go here. Ridiculous!:mad:

NateDogg
11-04-2002, 07:34 PM
11/04/2002

General Comments:
Not much really. I had the day off from work today. Just kinda bummed around with my g/f for most of the day. It was great! Topped it off with a great leg workout. Something I did not think I would be able to say for quite some time. I must say that a very small change can sometimes make a huge difference. I squat in high top Chuck Taylor's. Up until today I had been lacing them all the way up to take advantage of their full support. Well today I did not lace up the top two eyes on each side. What a difference that made in my squat depth and technique. I am now able to get low with MUCH less strain on my back. I feel like a moron for lacing them up so high before. All it did, as I found out today, was limit my ankle flexibility and put extra strain on my back!

Ooo, oooo, on another note, with my birthday coming up pretty soon, my g/f couldn't wait to give me my present so I got it yesterday. Awesome gift. I started a thread about it in chat a while back (although apparently no one agrees with me b/c there were no replies :( ) She got me a hand crank blender from the Discovery Channel store. I can take it anywhere to make shakes with and it works awesome! She also got me a book called, "Everything you Pretend to Know, but are Afraid Someone Might Ask." Kind of an inside thing, but I am somewhat of a know-it-all sometimes :D Lots of good info in it though!
Training:
LEGS
Squat:
1 / 45 / 6
2 / 135 / 6
3 / 185 / 6
4 / 225 / 5
5 / 135 / 10

These were awesome. Pretty deep and felt great. My back is still not right, as I have pain on the left side. From all the research I have done and the doctor's visit I had, it's definitely sacroiliac strain. I have another appt 12/18 to get it straightened out better. I only hope I can keep up great workouts like this up through and after that!

Straight LDL:
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 185 / 10
3 / 205 / 10

No problems here at all. I had the strength for a lot more weight here. Small steps though right? :D

Leg Extension:
1 / 150 / 10
2 / 60 / 10
3 / 60 / 10

Did the first set with both legs, then switched to one at a time for better concentration.

Donkey Raise:
1 / 260 / 5
2 / 200 / 8
3 / 160 / 10

I took it relatively easy on these.

Diet:
As always trying to get enough food is tough. Been doing pretty well lately though.

LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
11-04-2002, 08:25 PM
Nice leg session today. Good strength on the squats. 225 for 5 is damn impressive ND---keep up the hard work man.

jiacstrap
11-04-2002, 08:28 PM
Nice leg session today. Good strength on the squats. 225 for 5 is damn impressive ND---keep up the hard work man.

I agree, you were deadlifting 225 for 5 and now your squating it!

NateDogg
11-05-2002, 08:14 AM
Hey thanks for the support guys. I'm slowly getting back to where I was (and barring more set-backs, past that point :D)

MonStar
11-05-2002, 09:02 AM
Hey thanks for the support guys. I'm slowly getting back to where I was (and barring more set-backs, past that point :D)

Youll get back to where you were ND, just hang in there man. Takes time.

NateDogg
11-05-2002, 08:40 PM

Youll get back to where you were ND, just hang in there man. Takes time.

:cool:

NateDogg
11-05-2002, 08:50 PM
11/05/2002

General Comments:
Great workout tonight. I changed it up quite a bit. The dips were starting to feel not so great shoulder health wise so I thought it was time for a relativelly small PUSH routine overhaul. Turned out great as far as today goes!Training:

PUSH Day today

Barbell Bench Press
1 / 45 / 10 warmup
2 / 115 / 10 warmup
3 / 185 / 5
4 / 205 / 1.5f :eek:
5 / 165 / 9f

Well, I had not done these in about a year so I really just guessed on my first work set. I got it pretty on the dot though! Yes, 205 for one+ is an all-time record for me. It was awesome! Great feeling. An even better feeling though is where I may be with barbell bench presses, relative to where I have ever been, once I get used to the movement again.

Incline DB Press
1 / 65 / 5
2 / 55 / 8
3 / 45 / 10

These were really great too. Again, I was really guessing on my first set weight. Got it just about right though

Hammer Strength Lying Press
1 / 140 / 10
2 / 140 / 6

Wow, these were tough. I killed myself to get ten on the first set and just did not have it all back for the second.

Arnold Press
1 / 30 / 10
2 / 30 / 10
3 / 45 / 3.5f

Added these after I saw that Callahan rated them as an underrated movement. I will stick with these for a while for sure. I really like them. Thanks bro!

Tricep Push-downs
1 / 160 / 5
2 / 140 / 9.25f
3 / 130 / 8.5f

Went well. Too much weight on the last set though and not enough on the second. No worries though. I'll try 165 next time for sure.

Diet:
Have been eating well today and plan to continue.

LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
11-05-2002, 10:14 PM
Nice job with 205 x 1.5 ND!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Great job man, keep up the hard work. Keep setting new PBs and in no time youll be friggin' huge and strong.

NateDogg
11-06-2002, 07:30 AM
Nice job with 205 x 1.5 ND!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Great job man, keep up the hard work. Keep setting new PBs and in no time youll be friggin' huge and strong.

Thanks again for the support Mike! Yeah, getting 200+ was awesome!

galileo
11-06-2002, 08:21 AM
Hey Nate, how much are you weighing?

galileo
11-06-2002, 08:24 AM
BTW: Steelers are looking better as the weeks go on. They always pull this stupid crap where they start off really slow. I'm not thinking too far ahead yet, but we should at least make the playoffs :)

MonStar
11-06-2002, 09:19 AM
By the way ND, you always talk about getting back up to what you used to be. What kind of strength / size did you used have? And what happened---sorry a bit confused.

NateDogg
11-06-2002, 09:30 AM
Hey Nate, how much are you weighing?

I havent' weighed myself in the last week or so, but I would guess I am still around 187 or so. I'll weigh myself at the gym tomorrow.

NateDogg
11-06-2002, 09:30 AM
BTW: Steelers are looking better as the weeks go on. They always pull this stupid crap where they start off really slow. I'm not thinking too far ahead yet, but we should at least make the playoffs :)

They do look pretty good. Who would have thunk it! Tommy Maddox!

galileo
11-06-2002, 09:31 AM
:thumbup: :thumbup: http://gamegossip.com/content/articles/smileys/03retard.gif

NateDogg
11-06-2002, 11:12 AM
By the way ND, you always talk about getting back up to what you used to be. What kind of strength / size did you used have? And what happened---sorry a bit confused.

I hope I did not mislead you...I am only referring to the max lifts in the first post of my journal. I have passed some of them, but my leg stuff got all out of whack semi-recently when I exerienced a sacroiliac misalignment for lack of a better term. Basically, my hip rolled forward on one side making just about anything that put stress on my lower back painful and disturbing to perform. I got physical therapy for it and it is better now. I am going for a follow-up December 18th as it's still not 100%. I have never been as "big" as I am now, but my strength/willingness to use heavy weights has been recently diminished.

MonStar
11-06-2002, 11:18 PM
I hope I did not mislead you...I am only referring to the max lifts in the first post of my journal. I have passed some of them, but my leg stuff got all out of whack semi-recently when I exerienced a sacroiliac misalignment for lack of a better term. Basically, my hip rolled forward on one side making just about anything that put stress on my lower back painful and disturbing to perform. I got physical therapy for it and it is better now. I am going for a follow-up December 18th as it's still not 100%. I have never been as "big" as I am now, but my strength/willingness to use heavy weights has been recently diminished.

Okay okay ND, I understand now. I was a bit confused but now I understand. Thanks for clearing that up man. Good luck getting your lifts back up---and nice job with the 205 on bench! Believe it or not I am dropping bench presses. Because honestly I feel bench presses in my front delts and triceps, and minimally in my pecs. I am going to be doing decline BB presses and dips as my main chest exercises. ;);)

MonStar
11-10-2002, 09:50 AM
Hey ND, what havnt you updated your journal since November 5th?

NateDogg
11-10-2002, 10:24 AM
Hey ND, what havnt you updated your journal since November 5th?

:hide:

That was actually the last time I lifted. Unfortunately :( . I have just had a ton of after work stuff to do that has no allowed me to lift for the last few days. No problem though, the rest does me good and after taking a few days once in a while, I get back at it with renewed vigor. I actually did kind of "work out" yesterday. I did about a half hour of cardio. My g/f and I went to my hometown to run a road race that my father's (and mother's) friends had created in memory of war veteran's and specifically my father's brother who was KIA in Vietnam. It was a very touching day all around. My grandparent's and my father were both presented with plaques commemorating the event and my dad's brother. The event also collected a ton of canned food to be distributed to veterans in need and some cash for the cause as well. I will be heading to the gym today for my "pull" workout. Just enjoying my morning cup of coffee, bagel and egg whites right now :D

NateDogg
11-10-2002, 01:11 PM
11/10/2002

General Comments:
Went down to my g/f's step-mom's 40th birthday party with my g/f yesterday, had a really great time with everyone...

Pretty good workout today. I am having trouble with my back workouts lately though. I am just not feeling it in my lats. My gym has a support row, which I would love to use. However, it is set up in such a way that I (and I have talked to others who also experience this) I feel like I am falling forward when pulling on it. It just does not do it for me. I really have to find something though. I tried bent over rows, and t-bar rows (with an olympic barbell and the close grip attachment from the cable machines) both irritated my lower back. I did not really use much weight on them as I was just trying to feel them out, so I am not posting them in my workout today. I think I am going to go back to cable rows as I was doing well with those, not sure why I got away from them really.

I also dropped the shrugs. I am either going to do them on leg day or just not do them at all. It will probably end up that if I deadlift that day, no shrugs, if I don't deadlift, then I'll throw in some shrugs.

Big game for the Pats today, I can't wait. I'll pretty much be here or watching football for the rest of the afternoon (tough life I know :D)

Training:
PULL Day today

Pull-Ups:
1 / 130 / 10 warmup
2 / 150 / 5 warmup
3 / 235 / 3.5f :eek:
4 / 195 / 7f
5 / 170 / 8f

Not bad. I would have liked to have gotten one more on my first work set, but I didn't. Still happy though. These are getting really heavy and are killing me for the next two sets. I am trying to rest less in between my second and third working set so I may have to drop the weight a little more on those sets.

Cybex Compound Row:
1 / 165 / 5
2 / 145 / 8
3 / 115 / 10

I really like this machine, these didn't go too bad, although on of the TV"s in right in your face when you're on this machine.

EZ- curl bar Curl:
1 / skipped
2 / skipped
3 / skipped

I have decided to drop these too. I believe that the different ez-curl bars that the gym has are weighted differently. Rather than try to figure out which one I have every time, I'm just going to do dumbbell curls (nice and labeled dumbbells :D)

DB Curl:
1 / 40 / 5
2 / 30 / 8
3 / 20 / 10

These were really great, like I said, I'm gonna stick with just these for bi's for now. Seated.
Diet:
I had nearly nothing to eat for most of the day yesterday. I then decided to make it a cheat day so that I could catch up on lost calories. I'll do much better today.

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
11-12-2002, 04:56 PM
Well, tonight was supposed to be a leg workout. However, my body is not cooperating. I feel like :swear: I have had a bad headache, sore throat and general achiness for about 12 hours now. I freakin' suck. I just took some Dayquil, hopefully that will help. ARRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHH :(

MonStar
11-12-2002, 08:02 PM
Well, tonight was supposed to be a leg workout. However, my body is not cooperating. I feel like :swear: I have had a bad headache, sore throat and general achiness for about 12 hours now. I freakin' suck. I just took some Dayquil, hopefully that will help. ARRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHH :(

That sucks man---I friggin' HATE being sick so godd*mn much. Hopefully youll be allright though. See how you feel tomorrow or the next day. Hope that everything works out for you man. :):)

NateDogg
11-13-2002, 11:13 AM

That sucks man---I friggin' HATE being sick so godd*mn much. Hopefully youll be allright though. See how you feel tomorrow or the next day. Hope that everything works out for you man. :):)

Thanks Mike! I do feel a little better today. I tried to eat as much as possible last night as I struggled to hold stuff down all day yesterday. My headache is gone so that's :D. Sore throat is still very much there, but I can deal with that. I can't wait to hit the gym tonight!!

MonStar
11-13-2002, 12:13 PM
Awesome ND---yeah friggin' go nuts in the gym. Greatest feeling in the world isnt it. Dont go TOO crazy though. In pyschology we learned that athletes perform at their peak not when theyre completely insane, but just before that. When theyre pumped up and focused just not yelling and screaming and going nuts, etc.

NateDogg
11-13-2002, 09:22 PM
Awesome ND---yeah friggin' go nuts in the gym. Greatest feeling in the world isnt it. Dont go TOO crazy though. In pyschology we learned that athletes perform at their peak not when theyre completely insane, but just before that. When theyre pumped up and focused just not yelling and screaming and going nuts, etc.

Well, I tried. I was definitely up for it. I really didn't expect much the way I have been feeling the last couple days. I think I did okay considering though...

NateDogg
11-13-2002, 09:32 PM
11/13/2002

General Comments:
Well, I can't complain. I definitely do not feel well still. I used a belt for the first time in a very long time today. On my heaviest squat set. I liked it. Definitely something to get used to though. On another note, I really have to get to the gym more consistently. I noticed that this is 9 days since my last leg workout tuttut

Training:

LEGS
Squat:
1 / 45 / 10 warmup
2 / 135 / 5 warmup
3 / 185 / 5
4 / 235 / 8
5 / 135 / 10

Felt pretty good. As I said, used a belt on the 235 set.

Straight LDL:
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 185 / 10
3 / 235 / 5

These were really good as well. I did not, and do not plan to use a belt on these. I have never had trouble keeping my back flat and abs tight on these.

Leg Extension:
1 / 60 / 10
2 / 60 / 10
3 skipped

These are definitely starting to bother my knees. I really have no use for that. Nicole (my g/f) and I are going to start doing lunges in place of these. Not the same movement of course, but a much safer one.

Donkey Raise:
1 / 200 / 13
2 / 280 / 5
3 / 160 / 4
4 / 100 / 4

Last three sets were done in a drop set. Ouch.

Diet:
We have to go food shopping again, but I am doing ok with what we have around the house still (tuna, chicken, rice) and I bought a salad at work today and added about a cans worth of tuna to it. It was :thumbup:
LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
11-16-2002, 02:04 PM
11/16/2002

General Comments:
Couple of workouts to log today. I have been doing them, just have not been logging them. Lazy day hanging around the house today. I still do not feel all that well. Upset stomach, sore throat, etc. I hope I get rid of this soon. No problem being indoors this weekend though...bit of a Nor'easter coming through these parts. It's snowing right now. I love it :D
Training:

PUSH Day today (11/14/2002)

Barbell Bench Press
1 / 45 / 20 warmup
2 / 115 / 10 warmup
3 / 190 / 5
4 / 170 / 8
5 / 155 / 7.5f

Prgressing on the bench press has always been a problem for me. I am finally getting there though. Hope to be able to try for 200 lbs for 5 reps in the near future.

Incline DB Press
1 / 70 / 3.75f
2 / 55 / 6f
3 / 45 / 9

Wow, what a struggle.

1 / 150 / 7
2 / 140 / 7

Arnold Press
1 / 35 / 9
2 / 35 / 7
3 / 35 / 6

Awesome again, short rest between sets.

Tricep Push-downs
1 / 90 / 3.5f
2 / 70 / 8
3 / 60 / 9.5f

It doesn't look like much, but it was on a different cable apparatus. This one had much less pulleys and therefore was MUCH heavier.

Diet:
Eating well lately despite an upset stomach and the fact that it really hurts to eat because of my throat :(

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
11-16-2002, 02:12 PM
11/16/2002

General Comments:
Short and sweet back/biceps workout today. Pull-ups were getting quite stale so I am going to get away from them for a bit.

Training:
PULL Day today

Close-Grip cable row:
1 / 90 / 10 warmup
2 / 120 / 6 warmup
3 / 180 / 5
4 / 150 / 8
5 / 140 / 10

Awesome feeling in my lats and upper back with these. We'll see how it goes in the longer term.

DB Row:
1 / 75 / 5
2 / 60 / 8
3 / 55 / 10

I started out a little light on these I think. Still a great workout though...and only 8 sets total for back! Well, really only 6 with 2 warmups.

DB Curl:
1 / 45 / 5
2 / 35 / 8
3 / 30 / 10

Awesome. Due to wanting to rest little in between sets, I did the first set seated, then had to stand for the next one, and finished off seated again.

Diet:
Going well. Chicken, spaghetti sauce and light cheddar cheese a the moment :drooling:

LATER,

NateDogg

jiacstrap
11-16-2002, 03:06 PM
Do you do the close grip pull downs just like lat pull downs? or close grip pullups? With your hands facing you about 4-6 inches apart. Works the lower lats right? I do closegrip pullups but never tired closegrip pulldowns. Way to be creative, every exercise gets stale after a awhile. Right now im decline bb pressing as my main chest exercise because im tired or incline and flat.

NateDogg
11-16-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by jiacstrap
Do you do the close grip pull downs just like lat pull downs? or close grip pullups? With your hands facing you about 4-6 inches apart. Works the lower lats right? I do closegrip pullups but never tired closegrip pulldowns. Way to be creative, every exercise gets stale after a awhile. Right now im decline bb pressing as my main chest exercise because im tired or incline and flat.

It's actually a row, not a pull-down I am doing. In other words, I am pulling from in front of me, not above my head. As for close-grip pulldowns though. I have always liked those a lot another really good exercise. I do feel those higher up though, in the armpit area, when I do them.

MonStar
11-17-2002, 02:10 AM
Close-Grip cable row:
3 / 180 / 5
4 / 150 / 8
5 / 140 / 10

Good strength here ND, really looking good man. Impressive. Cable rows are friggin' awesome for your lats arent they? I have always like them. Great exercise.

Silverback
11-17-2002, 05:06 AM
cable rows rule, imo they are the best machine exercise for the upper back.

Great strength nate :)

Have you started or done any personal trainer courses yet? if not i reccomend that you complete some sort of course. Obviously for me the sports studies degree put me above the other applicants, but i also completed a sports leadership award whereupon coaching and people management were of extreme importance.

You will be dealing with people all the time so people skills are essential.

good luck, make sure you update me on your career plans.

B-R

NateDogg
11-17-2002, 08:24 AM
cable rows rule, imo they are the best machine exercise for the upper back.

Great strength nate :)

***Thanks BR :D

Have you started or done any personal trainer courses yet? if not i reccomend that you complete some sort of course. Obviously for me the sports studies degree put me above the other applicants, but i also completed a sports leadership award whereupon coaching and people management were of extreme importance.

***I have all the study material for the NSCA-CPT exam and I am studying that on my own. Other than taht, people skills will not be a problem. I work with people quite a bit in my current job.

You will be dealing with people all the time so people skills are essential.

good luck, make sure you update me on your career plans.
***Thanks and will do.
B-R

NateDogg
11-17-2002, 08:27 AM

Good strength here ND, really looking good man. Impressive. Cable rows are friggin' awesome for your lats arent they? I have always like them. Great exercise.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate you checkin' in!!! :thumbup:

MonStar
11-17-2002, 12:53 PM
Hey ND, are you ever going to get any pics up? Or have you already?

Progress pics are a great way to track progress, along with measurements, and strength of course. ;);)

NateDogg
11-17-2002, 01:57 PM
Hey ND, are you ever going to get any pics up? Or have you already?

Progress pics are a great way to track progress, along with measurements, and strength of course. ;);)

Hey Mike,

Well, I have not put up any pics yet. I only have a couple, they are a couple years old, and it really bad lighting. That said, I don't have the means to put them up right now. I have stripped down my PC a ton and it still has barely enough memory to run Internet Explorer. I hope to get a new machine in the near future. My Dad also has a digital camera so I can borrow that someday as well. We'll see. I have really been thinking more and more about getting a PC. They are so cheap now. I'm not a PC gamer or anything so I don't need all sorts of flash, just something faster than the (please try to hold back laughing ;) ) Pentium 133 with 128 meg of ram. It's 6 years old now...or dead in computer years :D Anyway, yeah, I hope to get pics up someday, but I'm not sure when that will be.

MonStar
11-17-2002, 02:00 PM
Oh okay ND its all good man, I was just wondering. Yeah my computer is friggin' 6 years old or something. Slow as f*ck. Takes like 10 minutes to restart LOL. Its all good though man---keep up the hard work.

NateDogg
11-19-2002, 07:21 PM
Oh okay ND its all good man, I was just wondering. Yeah my computer is friggin' 6 years old or something. Slow as f*ck. Takes like 10 minutes to restart LOL. Its all good though man---keep up the hard work.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the kind words... :D

NateDogg
11-19-2002, 07:34 PM
11/19/2002

General Comments:
Good evening everyone :D I had a really good day at work today. Went by real fast. Looks like there is some stuff coming up that will keep me there pretty late on a daily basis, not for a bit, but too soon ;) As long as it doesn't interfere with my training I have no problem with it, and of course staying late looks good. Anyway, awesome leg workout tonight. I was really happy with it, and walking a little funny on the way out of the gym :D
Training:

LEGS
Squat:
1 / 45 / 10 warmup
2 / 135 / 8 warmup
3 / 240 / 5
4 / 185 / 8
5 / 135 / 10

I was in a huge hurry to get to the gym because I was 20 minutes late meeting my buddy (nothing I could do, tons of traffic coming home). Therefore, I forgot my belt this time. I have to get used to taking it. These were still great though, and more importantly pain/twinge free. I did the last set VERY slowly and VERY deep. Great set.

Straight LDL:
1 / 135 / 10
2 / 185 / 8
3 / 225 / 5

I took it a little easier on these today. I just didn't feel the need to kill myself on them today. I am really getting them to hit my hamstrings perfectly though.

Walking Lunges (weight is DB per arm):
1 / 40 / 10 didn't walk this set, just stationary, didn't like it
2 / 40 / 10
3 / 40 / 10

As you can see, I ditched the leg extensions in favor of walking lunges. Holy $hit is all I have to say. I was ready to fall over at the end of my second and third set of these. I am going to be sore as hell tomorrow in my hammies and glutes for sure. BTW, the reps in this case are steps taken with each leg. So that's 10 left and 10 right, not 5 and 5.

Standing Calf Raise:
1 / 160 / 10
2 / 200 / 10
3 / 260 / 5

My donkey raise machine was busy so I used this one. My only complaint on these is that the pads really hurt my shoulders.

Diet:
Ate awesome today. Plenty of protein (whey, ground beef, tuna, milk) and plenty of fat and carbs as well. Like I said in the beginning, I am not going to get much into my diet here. I know what I have to eat. I know when I didn't eat enough, and can figure out if I am eating too much by looking in the mirror.
LATER,

NateDogg

MonStar
11-19-2002, 07:46 PM
Squat:
1 / 45 / 10 warmup
2 / 135 / 8 warmup
3 / 240 / 5
4 / 185 / 8
5 / 135 / 10

Nice squatting strength ND! :thumbup::thumbup:

240x5 is friggin' great man, keep it up.

NateDogg
11-19-2002, 07:57 PM

Nice squatting strength ND! :thumbup::thumbup:

240x5 is friggin' great man, keep it up.

Thanks a lot Mike. Hey, thanks for replying to my PM on "Supertraining" too. I followed up with Paul. Please let me know if you end up remembering anything. I am trying to get my parents to get me the book for Christmas or my birthday (beginning of next month). But I want to get them as much info on where to find it as possible.

MonStar
11-19-2002, 08:02 PM
Thanks a lot Mike. Hey, thanks for replying to my PM on "Supertraining" too. I followed up with Paul. Please let me know if you end up remembering anything. I am trying to get my parents to get me the book for Christmas or my birthday (beginning of next month). But I want to get them as much info on where to find it as possible.

Yeah I know what youre saying ND---yeah it is a decent book. Many other WBB members will rant and rave about it but its tough for me gain much from it. However, PowerManDL and Saturday Fever both seem to gain all kinds of things from it. So I take what they gain from it any apply it to my training. I almost use it as a reference book in a sense.

Silverback
11-20-2002, 01:06 PM
Great work on the squats, glad to hear the lunges took it out of you, i have never adapted to lunges, maybe its my technique.

Would you reccomend a lifting belt, ive yet to use one and have been fine, but if the day came whereupon i hurt my self i may regret, not using.

NateDogg
11-20-2002, 02:14 PM
Great work on the squats, glad to hear the lunges took it out of you, i have never adapted to lunges, maybe its my technique.

***I hear you, I had ALWAYS HATED lunges. They just did not feel like they had ever done anything for me. I spent more time and effort trying not to tip over on my way back from the step out. However, doing them walking, I don't have to step back, I just move my back leg up to meet my front after coming back up. I loved it and now I can't imagine not including them in my leg workout. BTW, my freakin' a$$ is sore as hell today!!!

Would you reccomend a lifting belt, ive yet to use one and have been fine, but if the day came whereupon i hurt my self i may regret, not using.
***Well, I had never used one. Then I hurt myself. I am not saying that I hurt myself because I didn't use a belt, in fact I'm quite sure belt use, or lack there of, had nothing to do with it. However, the more I read about those who use them for max sets (5 rep heavy sets in my case), I'm sold. Using the belt will not actually hinder you unless you use it all the time and rely on it. It does however, give great support for use on heavier sets.

Silverback
11-20-2002, 02:23 PM
cheers for the relpy nate, appreciated :)

NateDogg
11-23-2002, 10:38 AM
11/23/2002

General Comments:
Well, this workout is a little old. Thursday to be exact. No problem though. It was a great workout, I just have not been around to log it for the last couple days...here goes...
Training:

PUSH Day today (11/21/2002)

Barbell Bench Press
1 / 45 / 20 warmup
2 / 115 / 8 warmup
3 / 195 / 5 :eek:
4 / 175 / 8
5 / 150 / 9.5f

Another PB on the bench press. Next time it's 200lbs :D

Incline DB Press
1 / 75 / 2.75f
2 / 60 / 8f
3 / 50 / 10

Struggled mightily with the first set, did alright on the next two though.

1 / 150 / 7.5f
2 / 140 / 5f

Did the second set VERY SLOW

Arnold Press
1 / 35 / 10
2 / 50 / 3.5f
3 / 35 / 6.5f

Tried 50's on the second set just to see where I was at. I'm not there yet.

Tricep Push-downs
1 / 165 / 6 :eek:
2 / 145 / 8
3 / 130 / 9

Back to the old cable apparatus. Set another pb on these as well.

Diet:
Drank a little last night (11/22/02). 6 light beers. I know it won't kill me though. I ate really well yesterday except for those ;)

LATER,

NateDogg

NateDogg
11-23-2002, 02:10 PM
BTW, I'm on vacation until Friday :D Finally I can concentrate on training and diet without the formality of a job getting in the way! Not going to lift today as I didn't get much sleep last night and therefore am not going to try it. Should be back at it for a pull day tomorrow. Today however, after Notre Dame, Rutgers, is laundry day :( I really don't mind it that much. I just grab a good book and head down.

Silverback
11-23-2002, 06:46 PM
Gr8 work on the BB bench 200lbs+ is only a few workouts away no doubt, after keepingon track with your journal for the past 3-4 months yours gains have been impressive, your attitude is spot on, so really what you are achieving is yet to amze me its just expected.

Keep up the high standard man.

B-R

NateDogg
11-23-2002, 06:59 PM
Gr8 work on the BB bench 200lbs+ is only a few workouts away no doubt, after keepingon track with your journal for the past 3-4 months yours gains have been impressive, your attitude is spot on, so really what you are achieving is yet to amze me its just expected.

Keep up the high standard man.

B-R

Wow, those are quite the compliments! Thanks man! I have come a long way, I think, from stating in my first journal post that I might not even keep it up [the journal] because lifting is being hurt badly by my back. It still feels not right sometimes, but there is no pain to speak of. I do have a follow-up appt Dec 18th to see where I'm at.

Thanks again man, positive reinforcement is a great thing :D

Silverback
11-23-2002, 07:05 PM
No probs, totally deserved. Its great to follow a BB's progress, especially on WBB as it is like a community :)

just keep it up man, hopefully in a few years i will have finnished uni and i'll come and visit you, its always been my dream to go to the USA and now BB has come into my life, it makes it all the more exiting and realistic. Due to the fact that the UK and BB dont exactly go hand in hand, most people think its weird.

MonStar
11-24-2002, 12:53 AM
Barbell Bench Press
1 / 45 / 20 warmup
2 / 115 / 8 warmup
3 / 195 / 5 :eek:

Nice strength ND!! :thumbup::thumbup: I am looking forward to seeing you press 200 lbs. next time around. Good luck with it.

NateDogg
11-24-2002, 07:55 AM
No probs, totally deserved. Its great to follow a BB's progress, especially on WBB as it is like a community :)
***Thanks again :D

just keep it up man, hopefully in a few years i will have finnished uni and i'll come and visit you, its always been my dream to go to the USA and now BB has come into my life, it makes it all the more exiting and realistic. Due to the fact that the UK and BB dont exactly go hand in hand, most people think its weird.

***That'd be great!

NateDogg
11-24-2002, 07:55 AM

Nice strength ND!! :thumbup::thumbup: I am looking forward to seeing you press 200 lbs. next time around. Good luck with it.

Thanks Mike, I'm looking forward to it too. Big step for me if I can do it!

NateDogg
11-24-2002, 11:43 AM
Well, I won't be lifting today. I had the chance to golf this morning and I had to take it. Granted it was most likely below freezing with the wind chill, but it was still awesome. I have to get as many rounds in as possible before the snow comes :D This is going to be my first off-season from golf as I just started at the beginning of this past summer. I did not go more than 3 weekends without playing all summer...I'm definitely going to miss it. I also have to watch the Pats game today. They need something like the Cox hit against the Colts last year to turn this season for the better. They are about half-way up a steep hill right now. They could very easily roll back down it...or they could keep going towards the top with a win today and a Miami loss. I can't wait!

NateDogg
11-25-2002, 12:38 PM
20 mins relatively high intensity cardio this morning...about an hour after breakfast. Pull workout tonight.

NateDogg
11-25-2002, 08:07 PM
11/25/2002

General Comments:
This was an ok workout. I am struggling with what to do for back and bi's lately as I am still weary of my lower back. Golf bothered it a bit. My first day off was awesome. I spent some time here. I got some more laundry done, and generlly just bummed around.

Training:
PULL Day today

Close-Grip cable row:
1 / 100 / 10 warmup
2 / 120 / 8 warmup
3 / 200 / 3.5f
4 / 150 / 8
5 / 140 / 8

Little twinge in my left shoulder on my last two sets. Therefore I only did 8 reps on the last one.

DB Row:
1 / 85 / 5
2 / 65 / 8
3 / 55 / 10

That's better. Starting weight was much better.

DB Curl:
1 / 40 / 7
2 / 40 / 5
3 / 30 / 7

Did all of these sets seated

Diet:
I ate ok today. Not being at work makes it a little harder to get all my water in.

LATER,

NateDogg

McBain
11-26-2002, 06:49 AM
sup wigga, just a question- how are you finding the push pull legs? its what ive pretty much just started with but i kindof messed it up a bit so she's a little bit changed.

want to have a look and see if you think its a stupid idea (i made only very minor changes but wasnt sure if i was on the right track) or should i stick to the original plan, just wanted an opinion from someone doing somethign similar.

expecting fireworks for that 200lb benchpress, more power to ya!

MonStar
11-26-2002, 04:27 PM
Close-Grip cable row:
1 / 100 / 10 warmup
2 / 120 / 8 warmup
3 / 200 / 3.5f
4 / 150 / 8
5 / 140 / 8

Nice strength here ND! Really coming along man I am impressed. Good job man. How is your back responding to no chins? Well or nah? I have dropped chins as well and I think so far my back is doing damn good. DB pullovers seem to crush my lats though.

NateDogg
11-26-2002, 04:29 PM

Nice strength here ND! Really coming along man I am impressed. Good job man. How is your back responding to no chins? Well or nah? I have dropped chins as well and I think so far my back is doing damn good. DB pullovers seem to crush my lats though.

I believe it's only been two workouts without chins. Not really enough to judge on IMHO. I'll keep you posted though.

Silverback
11-26-2002, 04:39 PM
good work on the cables nate, how do you work out the weight though? at my gym the machine notches are labelled 9, 10, 11, 12 etc....

i used to play golf to but my lower back felt like s*it every following day so i packed it in. Maybe i'll take it up again in the future when, im less interested in Building my Body and playing more intense sports.

NateDogg
11-27-2002, 07:25 AM
good work on the cables nate, how do you work out the weight though? at my gym the machine notches are labelled 9, 10, 11, 12 etc....

***I use the rickety P.O.S. cable row at my gym so that I can always use the same one. The stack is labeled with actual poundages. Not to say I am actually lifting that much weight because there are pulleys, but it's easier to tell progression that way.

i used to play golf to but my lower back felt like s*it every following day so i packed it in. Maybe i'll take it up again in the future when, im less interested in Building my Body and playing more intense sports.

***Golf is the coolest, although second to lifting...usually :D

GeneticallyGifted
11-27-2002, 09:45 AM
What up Nate...

I'm in your journal to cause trouble and lay down the law. I'll be in your ass like a bicycle without the seat. Get ready because I'm here to investigate and see what the hell your doing to get BIG!!

maybe so I can follow suit.

G

ericg
11-27-2002, 11:13 AM
Nice strength man. Keep it up. Was wondering if you feel that the cable rows or the DBs give you a better workout?

NateDogg
11-28-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by GeneticallyGifted
What up Nate...

I'm in your journal to cause trouble and lay down the law. I'll be in your ass like a bicycle without the seat. Get ready because I'm here to investigate and see what the hell your doing to get BIG!!

maybe so I can follow suit.

G

Welcome fool! You're a bastard for getting so big and cut so quickly. I'm sure I could learn a thing or two from you...um, with the seat on no doubt :D

NateDogg
11-28-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by ericg
Nice strength man. Keep it up. Was wondering if you feel that the cable rows or the DBs give you a better workout?

Thanks bro. Honestly, I feel they both give a great workout. If I was forced I guess I would go with the dumbbells as they are an iso-lateral movement and allow concentration on each lat separately. I'm going to keep them both in there for a bit though and see what happens.