PDA

View Full Version : Mediterranean Diet

nugg
07-22-2002, 12:23 PM
It's seems this diet's popularity is growing daily. It is based on several factors, some of which include

Olive Oil as a main source of fat
Whole grains, yogurt, beans, fruits and low fat dairy daily
chicken and fish (a couple times per week)
red meat (twice a month....Ouch!)
Wine daily with dinner
exercise 1 hour per day

This diet is close to 35% fats, mostly from unsaturated sources. It has been proven to significantly lower cholesterol, blood sugar and other adult onset diseases. The "mediterranean pyramid" seems like a good idea for health, but what are your thoughts with regards to bodybuilding applications?

You can do a search on Medline to see the actual pyramid

Nugg

Behemoth
07-22-2002, 12:30 PM
I don't see much protein nor carbs in what you listed, but if it's only 35% fats, then I'm sure you could alter the protein and fat and make it a nice isocaloric diet.

nugg
07-22-2002, 12:41 PM
I am not looking for advice, just opinions. I fugure that we might discuss all of the merits and disadvantages of several diets.

Try to be big, I agree. Have you had success with the isocaloric diet?

Nugg

Behemoth
07-22-2002, 12:50 PM
heh, I'm fairly new to the propper ways of bodybuilding, just a few months. I haven't done one yet, although I think I'm going to be aiming for one with my bulk.

WillyTheGreat
07-23-2002, 04:20 PM
I just came back from living in Greece for a month...man, did I see something appalling stuff (compared to what you see in the States).

I saw old ladies, like 70 year olds, who were sitting down and smoking and having cups of alcohol.

I probably saw 3-4 American-sized fat Greek people. Most people are relatively lean.

They eat a lot more meat than what you posted though. They have meat everywhere (e.g souvlaki, gyros, etc.). Chicken, lamb, and beef in some places.

They also eat a good amount of bread and have appetizers (like tzatziki) made of yogurt, cucumber and garlic (mmm, mmmm).

Anyway, the diet wasn't too hard for me to adapt to because I'm ethnically Armenian and eat similar food at home. It's pretty good stuff if anyone wants to try, you don't lose much in taste.

Oh ya, ouzo is mighty good too :D .

nugg
07-23-2002, 05:06 PM
Yes, this seems to be the case. However, even the Greeks have adopted a more Amercian "western" diet. The orignal 7 country study was based on the ealier diet.

This does lend itself to the French Paradox, drinking wine, smoking- yet no diabetes and low heart disease.

Wow, bring on the wine and olive oil!

WillyTheGreat
07-24-2002, 07:07 PM
Yup, they have adopted some American things...like French fries in the gyros...I think they taste better without 'em, but whatever.