PDA

View Full Version : losing fat while keeping muscle!

wowbaby
07-23-2002, 03:45 AM
How dee do dee all!

I'm sure this question came up before but I seriously need to lose the fat I have put on since bulking. I want to see that 6 pack that I know is hiding under there. How do I go about losing the fat while maintaining that hard earned muscle and what would be recommended for both Diet and exercise to acheive this. Should I start reducing my weight workout and concentrate more on cardio. Any comments please. Cheers:help:

galileo
07-23-2002, 05:24 AM
Keep weight training the same, skip the cardio, and eat slightly below maintenance (500 calories/day "ish"). You'll lose a lot less muscle with a low deficit and weight training will keep the muscle around.

wowbaby
07-23-2002, 05:40 AM
Galileo!

I thought cardio was extremely important in a cutting diet?

galileo
07-23-2002, 05:54 AM
Nope. I did absolutely no cardio at all and went from about 25% bodyfat to 11% in roughly 2.5 months.

I shot for 2lbs of week (1000 calorie/day deficit).

You can control your weight strictly through diet, cardio is not necessary. Some people can't handle eating restricted calories and use it as a crutch while others enjoy cardio.

If you are going to like 5% bodyfat you might need cardio, but otherwise you really don't.

Plus, you won't have to evaluate your sexuality everytime you leave the gym.

Davy
07-23-2002, 06:15 AM
From 25% bf to 11% bf in 2.5 months cant be healty.

It will also come back easy on you when you dont work out anymore i think.

All those fast crush diets suck big time , you can loose a lot of weight in a short period of time , but that wont keep it that way.

You will face the yoyo effect and then you get twice as fat.

galileo
07-23-2002, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Davy
From 25% bf to 11% bf in 2.5 months cant be healty.

It will also come back easy on you when you dont work out anymore i think.

All those fast crush diets suck big time , you can loose a lot of weight in a short period of time , but that wont keep it that way.

You will face the yoyo effect and then you get twice as fat.

LOL, maybe if I eat fast food twice a day like I did to get to 25%

I'd also like to say it wasn't a "fast crush" diet, retard. I ate an isocaloric split and I slowly lowered my calories down to the 1000 calorie deficit. I will not get fat again. I lost weight in a very controlled fashion and since I hadn't worked out in TWO YEARS I gained back a lot of muscle which caused my bf% to change more drastically. Before you make assumptions about my health, try knowing more than what you read in one post.

I'd like to say a lot of things about you and your ignorance but I won't. I will just stop, with my own personal satisfaction knowing that I have accomplished a lot, where you can only try to discredit others' feats. When I gain 20lbs of muscle in the next year I am sure you'll be the first to tell me how it will "all go away." Go sulk in your own failures and leave others to their triumphs.

So, until further notice, stfu. :zipit:

I place on you this curse: May geckos eternally haunt your shoes and may the thrust of Sodom be forever at your back door.

Davy
07-23-2002, 07:58 AM
It was not meant offensife.
And since you'r calling me a retard and tell me to shut the **** up , your frustrated.

I only assumed and told you what i was gonna be when i was a fast crush diet.

Good for you if you get to the goals you wanted , but dont start swearing at the peolple who only wants to help others and want to give info.

Have more respect ....

galileo
07-23-2002, 08:14 AM
Davy:
You should have more respect than to belittle someone else's accomplishments. As you said, you assumed. Exactly. If you had the respect you speak of, you wouldn't assume things about me.

Tell me what was helpful about your post? The fact that you told me I was going to fail, that I was not healthy, or that I am going to get twice as fat? I'm still trying to find the positive part of that.

wowbaby: If you are smart about your dieting and listen to what your body tells you, you will be able to acheive your goals. I shot for the 1000 calorie deficit because I was starting back after so long, and I knew I didn't have to worry about much muscle loss. As I advised, a 500 calorie deficit would be sufficient and you would not lose much hard-earned muscle.

Manveet
07-23-2002, 09:03 AM
lol, why do people get so pissed off if someone makes an inaccurate comment. Anyways, wowbaby like galileo said cut down your cals a tiny bit (500 is a good start). Try aiming for like 1lb a week weightloss. You do not need to do cardio, just lift the same. The only thing that needs change is your diet, I suggest you cut your carbs down, in the same manner as your cals (tiny bit to start off)

Shao-LiN
07-23-2002, 09:38 AM
Key part of cutting is your diet. Cardio just helps you burn the cals even more. But as long as you keep lifting up, you can just diet and shed the fat.

wowbaby
07-23-2002, 09:52 AM
Cheers guys. Thanks a mil for your help.

Peace

Tiare
07-23-2002, 10:24 AM
The advantage of doing cardio vs just dieting is that you can keep eating those precious calories. Some people lose a lot of muscle when they cut calories and others don't. Some people lose almost all fat when doing cardio, others lose a lot of muscle. Depends on what your body wants to do.

Oh, and Galileo's numbers (2lbs/week for 10 weeks going from 25% bf to 11% bf) makes galileo's new weight roughly 120 with 13lbs of fat in that? Might want to check those numbers again galileo, something seems a bit off. Nice job in cutting though!

y2klifter
07-23-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by galileo

You can control your weight strictly through diet, cardio is not necessary.

What ratios did you use for your diet or was it strictly just a matter of calories?

Thanks.

galileo
07-23-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Tiare

Oh, and Galileo's numbers (2lbs/week for 10 weeks going from 25% bf to 11% bf) makes galileo's new weight roughly 120 with 13lbs of fat in that? Might want to check those numbers again galileo, something seems a bit off. Nice job in cutting though!

I just started back to lifting and you don't know what I weighed before, do you?

I gained some muscle and glycogen weight which did not factor in to the assumptions either. I have the luxury of "muscle memory" and "newbie gains" to go by, so my lifts shot up and my bodyweight did not drop as much as I expected. I also didn't track percentage throughout the entire experience, unfortunately. But I do however have a nice picture of "fat" me and me today. That I'll eventually get up.

Davy
07-24-2002, 03:28 AM
Yeah post them.

I'm realy curious about how you where before and how you are now.
And dont take this offensive , im just curious cuz im also cutting.
Weighted before i started lifting +- 206-208lbs -> now rougly 190lbs.

Want to see how im gonna look like when i get rid of all the fat. :)

galileo
07-24-2002, 11:09 AM
Original Weight: ~170lbs @ ~25% bf = ~128lbs [lean] 42lbs [fat]
Current Weight: ~155lbs @ ~11% bf = ~138lbs [lean] 17lbs [fat]

Total weight change = 15lbs in 11 weeks
Total weight loss = 1.36lbs/week

Since I just came back to working out, the glycogen filled my muscles again, plus I gained back some weight even with restricted calories. I consider this 100% newbie gains, but it did happen. I can understand the doubt, but again, you didn't know my situation. I am sure with newb gains out of the way there's no way I could lose fat + gain muscle at the same time.

My point was : I made the change without cardio and you can do it. I was just trying to make this guy feel better and show that people do that junk all the time without losing much muscle. Next time I go on trial I am going to demand an attorney.

ps: the ~ means "around."

Juan
07-24-2002, 01:54 PM
I have heard that the human body loses, on average, a maximum of 3 pounds of fat per week. Anything more than that is water and muscle. Keep that in mind.