PDA

View Full Version : Whey with milk?

Jedi Knight
07-23-2002, 01:07 PM
I have a question, my freind made a statement that kind of interessed me. We were all sitting around talking about the best protein shakes, and how to take them. He quickly interjected that it's not as good to take whey with milk after your workout. He said that it causes a lining around the stomach that doesn't allow all the protein to be absorbed. Is there any truth to this? :confused:

Tiare
07-23-2002, 01:30 PM
Only way I could see there actually being a problem is if you have a lactose intolerance. IMO your friend is dead wrong.

Jedi Knight
07-23-2002, 01:33 PM
I thought so, but just judging by his size (he's huge) I think there might be some lodgic behind it. Just think... milk has a tendency to coat, they tell you to take Ibroprufin with milk because it coats... maybe. I still take it with water. How else is there to take it?

Jedi Knight
07-23-2002, 01:36 PM
How quick is the protein absorbed into the blood stream? Is there anything else that enhances that besides say a dextrose? With creatine, they say to take it with grape juice because it accelerates the process, anything like that with Protein?

body
07-23-2002, 02:17 PM
milk may be a bit slower. but at the same time. but i eat/drink before trianing so thats not a problem.

where do you think the protein is abosrbed anyway?

people say drink milk before drinking alcohol to stop you getting as drunk! but you still get drunk if you have milk before alcohol. so why would protien be any different?

plus protien is broken down in the stomach, alcohol can be asborbed in the stomach.

ryuage
07-23-2002, 08:26 PM
it is true because mixing milk with ur whey slows it down a bit seeing how milk protein (casein) sp? is absorbed much slower then lets say if you mixed your whey with water

gettinjackT
07-23-2002, 09:07 PM
yes, the casein will slow down absorption and so will fat(if you are using anything but skim milk)