PDA

View Full Version : Raven Blade's WBB #1 Routine

Raven Blade
07-23-2002, 01:31 PM
First off I'll start with a little info about myself and my body building history.

Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 207lbs
Bodyfat: No idea: Gonna guess 10-12%
Years lifting: 17

I am on of those guys who would be about 160lbs if I didn't work out. I have to work hard to gain weight. When I take a break from training I tend to lose weight. It's because I eat less.

In the past I have been a huge overtrainer. Early in my lifting I was doing the 3 hour workouts, calves, stomach and forearms every day. (No wonder I couldn't put on weight)

Did a cycle when I was about 22-23 (after six years of lifting). Was the heaviest I've ever been (220lbs) but when I went off (for the last time) and I lost my water I was about 205lbs.

In the past 2 years I've been training at the same gym and the gains have been very good. I really stepped up on my diet by increasing the amount of protien I intake each day and cleaning up the carbs. I'm up about 17 pounds in that time. I lament that I wasn't smarter in my youth but that's life.

This is by far the heaviest I have been clean (and I look a lot better). My strength is nearing what it was when I juiced.

I've lowered the amount I am in the gym significantly since my overtraining days. My last six months have included a 4 day workout where I alternate between heavy days and light day on a weekly basis. I've mixed up what I train together but have kept to the heavy/light program.

So what I was doing as of 2 weeks ago. For each day it was one heavy and one light then alternating the next week.

Chest - Biceps/Forearms

Back - Ties (Heavy Deads on heavy day)

Shoulders - Traps

Legs (Heavy squats on heavy day)

I like this routine because I can really concentrate on form and burn one week and on power and poundage the next.

So there's a little about me. I'm ready to do the WWB #1 and will be eating between 150-200g of protien each day. (along with a balanced diet)

Raven Blade
07-23-2002, 01:47 PM
Notes: just coming back from a scheduled week off from the gym.

Weight: 207
Comments: Feel good. Can't wait to hit the heavy weights.

Chest

Flat BB -
Warm up 135 x 10
225 x 8
245 x 6 (2 spots)

DB Low Inc.
100 x 6 1/2
100 x 6 (2 spots)

Dips
7 3/4 + 25lbs

Back
w/w mean With Wripstraps
w/b means With Belt
O means double Over grip
OU means Over Under grip
R means Reverse grip
UO means Under Over grip

Pullups
8 - O
7 1/2 - O

Deads
8 x 245 - w/w, O
6 x 325 - w/w,w/b, OU

BB Rows
8 x 135 - w/w, R
5 1/2 x 185 - w/w, R (went too heavy)

Shrugs
10 x 325 - w/w

Elapsed time: 50 min

Comments:
Just getting the hang of things. Should have warmed up more for deads and not had a 90lbs diff on the 2 working sets. Hulk has made some suggestions for warming up that I will follow. Went too heavy on BB Rows and DB Low Inc Press. I was pretty psyched though and wanted to lift heavy weights. Also of note: I have a jammed thumb from flag football so I have to wear wrist wraps for heavy back exercises. That's it. Awaiting Wednesday for legs. (I love leg days)

waterbuckat
07-23-2002, 02:48 PM
awesome, saw your post on the other forum........ Good luck man!

Raven Blade
07-24-2002, 08:25 AM
I went for a hour + bike ride last night and got up early and skipped for 20 minutes this morning. I find the hardest part of skipping is how much it burns my shoulders. I guess years of low reps and then the high reps of skipping don't mix.

My chest is only a little sore today. I am surprised that my traps are though, I only did 1 x 10 of shrugs. Deadlifts are likely a reason as well.

My lower back is sore today though. I should have warmed up a little more on deads I guess. I hope it doesn't affect my squats to much today.

iLUDEd
07-25-2002, 03:39 PM
did u skip for a total of 20 minutes? or 20 minutes in one go?

Raven Blade
07-26-2002, 08:07 AM
I skipped for a total of 20 minutes. I am not quite good enough to do it in one go but it's still good cardio. I am sweating my ass off by the time I am done.:p

Raven Blade
07-26-2002, 09:01 AM
July 24 5:15PM

Notes: Lower back is very tight from deads the other day.

Squats
8 x 135 warmup - all the way down
8 x 205 warmup - all the way down
2 x 255 warmup - all the way down
7 x 315 w/b 1 spot - deeper than horz.
6 x 315 w/b 2 spots - deeper that horz.

Hacks
8 x 360 (8 plates) - deeper that horz.
7 x 360 - 2 small spots

Leg Curls
8 x 90 warmup
8 x 180 (4 plates)
8 x 205 (4 1/2 plates)

S.L. Deads
8 x 45 warmup
8 x 135
8 x 135
note: took it easy on this exercise because of tightness in lower back

Stand Calves
8 x 200 warmup
8 x 300
8 x 400 (full stack)
8 x 400
8 x 400

Notes: I thought I would be stronger today. I was disappointed with my squat. Maybe its due to lower back stiffness and the week off previous to starting this routine. Hopefully next week will be up to my expectations. The other thing I want to note is my form. I go DEEP on squats and hacks. On hacks I am hitting the bottom of the rack when I go down.

Raven Blade
07-26-2002, 09:11 AM
Well it's Friday. I train arms and shoulders tonight. I had a flag football practice last night so I got some running in. I got up and skipped for about 15 min this morning. My shoulders are still burning but I think it was a little less.

My legs are very very sore, esp. the quads. My legs are usually about this sore after heavy leg day but that is when I do 7-8 sets of squats and 4 sets of hack or leg press + extensions. So I know that doing only 4 sets of quads is enough to stimulate the muscles. (did I say stimulate, I meant BLAST). Feel pretty good about working out tonight. Just glad my legs aren't directly involved. ;)

MonStar
07-26-2002, 09:14 AM
Raven Blade:

Nice journal man, keep it up. You have some impressive lifts on a fwe of your exercises. :):)

Raven Blade
07-26-2002, 11:13 AM
Thanks Mon,
I am really enjoying this aspect of doing WBB #1. Can't wait till week 10 so I can compare.

Writing it all down is very important for this routine too so that I can make sure I am trying more each week.

Raven Blade
07-27-2002, 07:20 PM
Friday July 26/02

Weight: 206 1/2
Notes: Legs are SORE!!! (This is Saturday while I am writing this and they are still sore, but not as bad)

Rack (standing) Military Press <= wasn't militarywas behind neck
8 x 135 Warmup
8 x 165
7 x 165 1 spot

I was not sold on this exercise. I do these seated and I get a lot more weight. Also, when I was bringing the bar down on my traps to put the weight away it was way too low. I did like the fact all my balancers were working hard so I will continue to do this exercise. I may just have to do some changes to how I was doing them. I may just make a post asking some input.

Seated D.B. Presses
8 x 75
7 x 80 2 spots

This was more like it.

Side Lateral
10 x 20 warmup
10 x 30
10 x 35 3 partials

Rear (peck deck)
10 x 175
10 x 200

I couldn't do shoulders without doing rears. Oh, well it wasn't THAT much more.

Triceps

Narrow Grip Bench
8 x 135 warmup
8 x 185
5 x 205 1 spot (note: all my buds were gone (it was Friday) and the guy I asked to spot me gave me the ol' one milimeter at a time spot. I hate that but beggars can't be choosers and don't look a gift horse in the mouth)

Incline French Press (Machine)
10 x 30 warmup
9 x 70
6 x 80

French press is too hard on my joints. We have this incline tri press machine that is easier on me so I did it instead. I tried French but that was how I hurt my left elbow 2 1/2 years ago and I'm still leary of them.

Biceps

BB Curls
10 x 45 (bar) warmup
8 x 65 warm
2 x 95 warm
8 x 115 (35 a side)
5 x 135 (45 a side) 2 spots

Hammers
8 x 35 warmup
8 x 50

Stomach
Did three super sets of the following 15-20 reps of each

Feet to Roof (This is just what I call it, you lay on your back with your legs up and try to put your feet on the roof - this kills the lower abs)

Reach for the Sky (Like a crunch but you are trying to put the palms of your hands on the roof)

Ball Crunches (crunches on one of those big balls)

Notes: Of the three workouts I liked this one the least. Each of these muscles are used to getting a lot more sets and reps and I had a hard time adjusting. Not saying I hated it. Just that I loved the other two days and was indifferent to this one. Hopefully it will come around.

Raven Blade
07-29-2002, 10:33 PM
Weigh: 204
Notes: I lost 2 pounds. Not much except that I haven't been below 205 for a few weeks. As I said I started doing 15-20 minutes of skipping 3 times a week before eating in the morning so maybe that's why. Also, I never eat as good on the weekend and I had a busy one this weekend with a long walk with this nice girl from the gym on Friday, lots of yard work on Saturday, and a flag football game on Sunday.

Chest

Flat Bench
20 x 45 Warmup
8 x 135 Warmup
2 x 205 Warmup
8 x 230
8 x 240 one small finger on the bar spot

Incline DB
8 x 95
6 1/2 x 100

Dips
8 + 25lbs
6 + 35lbs

I realize I didn't go as heavy on my last set of flat as I did last week but I felt I wanted to get a few more reps before going up. Flat felt pretty good.

Back

Pullups
6 + 2 1/2s + 10 lbs

Deads
8 x 135 Warmup ww
8 x 185 Warmup ww
2 x 225 Warmup ww OU
7 x 295 ww OU belt
6 x 315 ww UO belt

BB Rows
8 x 135 ww U - felt good
8 x 165 ww U - last 2 were tough

Shrugs
10 x 315 ww

Didn't feel as mentally sharp on back as I'd hoped. I should have definately gotten 8@295 but I remembered how sore my lower back was last week. Other than that it was a good workout. I still have to work on the concentration a little. A nice looking girl whom I've admired in the past came in just as I was going heavy deads and unfortunately I let it in. Oh well, what can I say, I'm all guy.

Raven Blade
07-30-2002, 12:51 PM
I was at work today and someone brought in a good digital camera to the IT department to have some pictures downloaded. I figured while I had it I might take a few shots of myself.

The following are four that I didn't mind. Take into account:

1. I'm not pumped
2. The poor lighting
3. The lack of a tan <== I think tanning is unhealthy
4. I'm in a weight gaining mode so I'm not overly lean

Again I am 5' 10", weight is about 205 lbs and have no idea what my BF is but I figure around 12%

p.s. I was at work and I wasn't about to take my pants off. Those will have to come some other time. ;)

Raven Blade
07-30-2002, 12:52 PM
Standing relaxed

Raven Blade
07-30-2002, 12:53 PM
Front holding it tight.

Raven Blade
07-30-2002, 12:54 PM
Front Double Bi

No that's not my real face:D

Raven Blade
07-30-2002, 12:55 PM
Back double Bi

BennettBoy
07-30-2002, 02:09 PM
Great pics! Good job dude.

Maki Riddington
07-30-2002, 04:55 PM
Whoa, youz a big dude. Where dem legs at?

Raven Blade
07-30-2002, 07:36 PM
I am going to try and get some pics of them after my workout tomorrow. I'll get a shot of legs and calves.

Black_Curtain
07-31-2002, 02:35 AM
Great chest. Looking good overall!

Raven Blade
07-31-2002, 08:18 AM
I did 50 minutes of cardio yesterday. 20 minutes on the cross trainer and 30 minutes on the bike. The bike was done at around 65% heart rate for fat burning. I really noticed my cardio has improved since I started skipping. I skipped this morning for 17 minutes. My shoulders were burning again like hell, likely because they are tight from chest the other day. Knees feel good today and I am already looking forwards to legs. It's a nice cool rainy day out for a change. It should make working legs easier.

BennettBoy
07-31-2002, 08:22 AM
Raven, what are your goals? I notice you seem to be doing alot of cardio now. You trying to cut some to get bodyfat down?

Raven Blade
07-31-2002, 10:04 AM
I am trying to gain but am not in a hurry to pack on weight (ie fat). I want to put on quality stuff. I've been working out a long time but only in the last 3-4 months have I really put an effort into the diet part of training. Since I've done that I've really seen some increases in both size and strength. Enough so that I lament all the wasted years of "just eating healthy".

My goal has always been to have a "nice athletic build" but that also includes being in great shape, hence the cardio. The skipping in the morning is awesome, great for both cardio and coordination. I only do that 3 times a week. The cardio I did last night would only be done once a week. I usually have one football practice a week and play once a week so there is more cardio there so it's not THAT much cardio really. Plus, I'm getting old so staying lean is important. ;)

BennettBoy
07-31-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Raven Blade
Plus, I'm getting old so staying lean is important. ;)

Let's not talk about getting old:D

I got more years on me than you do:cry:

shibbyshaw
07-31-2002, 11:29 AM
wats skipping?

Raven Blade
07-31-2002, 11:54 AM
like what boxers do.... skip rope... jump up and down... :rolleyes:

Raven Blade
07-31-2002, 11:55 AM
How old are you BennettOldMan?

BennettBoy
07-31-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Raven Blade
How old are you BennettOldMan?

BennettOldMan hehehe:D

I just turned 42 bro last week. Sucks too. Age was never even a factor with me until now. Most all my close friends are a good 10+ years younger than me. Everybody always guesses my age 7-10 years younger than I am, plus I'm very active and act younger. I guess it is because I still like to have fun on the weekends:)

The real problem for me now with age is that I am going through a divorce (it will be final Aug. 8) and all the ladies I'm attracted too are WAY younger than me. They are always interested as hell until the ole age question comes up LOL. I honestly think because I bodybuild that most folks think I am way younger. And the ladies that are closer to my age and want to latch onto me and call and bug me.....they always have kids. I know it probably isn't right....but I just don't want to get involved with women with kids. And even fooling around with them just for the fun of it means everytime I see them out I can't get rid of them:D

I know its probably cruel and wrong on my part, but for these reasons that is why the age issue really is a touchy one for me now. Damnit, I want 25-30 year old chicks with no children.;)

Raven Blade
07-31-2002, 03:52 PM
That's kinda funny. We have a lot in common. I also look a lot younger than I really am. My whole family looks young for their age. I also had my marriage end recently and also like younger girls. I don't think girls are scarred off by my age just yet but I sure don't like women my own age.. they all look so old :evillaugh

The problem is that girls 10 years younger than me look great but they are just sooooo.... young. One girl I was seeing was like 22 and I told her I'd gone to a concert with David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar at The Amplithetre in Washington. She was like "who?". That ended that. :)

Ever thought about lying about your age? "How old are you?". "Guess.". "Ummm 34?". "That's right honey." :D

BrooklinBrawler
07-31-2002, 08:26 PM
u look good man! keep up the good work

Raven Blade
08-02-2002, 02:10 PM
July 31 2002

Weight 206

Notes: Back was a little sore from Monday. Not as bad as last week though.

Squats

12 x 45 warmup
8 x 135 warmup
8 x 205 warmup
2 x 275 warmup <-- These four warmups were all the way down
8 x 315 2 spots Belt
6 x 315 1 spot Belt

I had some lower back discomfort for my 2 heavy sets. I wasn't very happy with my performance. I felt like I should have gone for one more rep on my last set since I only had one spot.

Hacks
8 x 360
8 x 380 2 small spots <== went up 20 lbs from last time

Curls
8 x 90 warmup
8 x 180 (4 plates)
6 x 225 (5 plates)

S.L. Dead Lifts
8 x 45 warmup
8 x 135
7 x 155

Not very happy with my S.L.D.L at all. My lower back was giving me problems on this. Next week I may shuffle the WBB #1 days to be chest/back, shoulders/arms, and Legs in that order to give my lower back more time to recover.

Calf Raises
10 x 200 warmup
8 x 300
8 x 400
8 x 400
8 x 400

I am going to have to start doing these on the hack squat with a wood toe thingee on it so that I can go heavier. 8 x 400 just isn't doing it for me.

All in all I wasn't happy with my leg day this time out. Might just have been "one of those days".

Raven Blade
08-02-2002, 02:15 PM
I feel pretty good. I'm not as sore, especially in the legs, as I though I would be but it might be because of the post workout drink I made containing Dextrose and water that I drank after legs. It may have stopped my muscles from getting more broken down than usual. I guess we'll see after today. I am really looking forwards to doing standing military presses in the rack since I did them wrong last time (behind the neck) and I feel I'll be able to do much better weight without the associated discomfort I had doing b.t.n.

BennettBoy
08-27-2002, 06:56 PM
Bump.

What happened to ya bro? I was enjoying reading your journal so I bumped it to see if you were still around.

Peace.