PDA

View Full Version : whey protein Vs regular protein?

EVO
07-23-2002, 02:39 PM
I was at a GNC store the other day and the guy was telling me what was good and what wasnt. I asked because i am new to this whole thing. He recommended whey protein, he said that the muscles can use it much better than regular protein found in foods that you buy and / cook/eat. Is this true?

gettinjackT
07-23-2002, 04:00 PM
Whey protein is found in food......and muscles need a variety of proteins:

Whey
Egg
Caseinate

Make sure to eat beef, chicken, eggs, & milk and you will get a full amino acid profile......

Whey isolate shakes are good for pre/post workout cause it is very fast absorbing and will reach the muscles quickly which is usually desired after an intense workout and even before a workout(so you have amino acids in your bloodstream during your workout).

:thumbup:

EVO
07-23-2002, 04:09 PM
Hey thanks JackT :strong:

nightop
07-23-2002, 06:36 PM
its not really as cut and dried as the guy said.. but yes whey has a high bioavailability as compared to other foods... however it is very very quickly absorbed and will cease to supply your body with a usable pool of amino acids after about 2 hours.... whereas milk and animal meat proteins are much more slowly absorbed/digested and can provide amino acids and a positive nitrogen balance many many hours longer (like 4-7) depending on the amount and the type and your body..etc...

here is the list >

Protein Source==========BV (biological value, or bioavialability)
Whey Protein Isolate Blends 100-159
Whey Concentrate (Lactalbumin) 104
Whole Egg 100
Cow's Milk 91
Egg White (Albumin) 88
Fish 83
Beef 80
Chicken 79
Casein 77
Rice 74
Soy 59
Wheat 54