PDA

View Full Version : Do high fat diets really work?

OscarLip
07-24-2002, 06:15 PM
For some reasons I am very scared to go on a high fat diet. But i have to many say if you want to cut.

anyway for anyone who has been on a cutting diet. has it worked for you?

and when i am making this high fat diet what high fat foods are the good fat foods?

Burgers
Steak

I dont believe butter and corn oil is good for you, from what i have been told those are bad.

Tiare
07-24-2002, 07:08 PM
Some people like high fat diets but like every other cutting diet, they only cut fat if you eat less calories than you burn and a lot of people (me) find it hard to work out while in ketosis.

You will lose a lot of water weight very quickly in ketosis.

Quality fats are generally fats that are low in saturated fat. whole mayo, fish oils, olive, flax, safflour, peanut.

OscarLip
07-25-2002, 12:12 AM
so when your bulking or cutting how do you go about it?

GIS
07-25-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by OscarLip
so when your bulking or cutting how do you go about it?

Count calories. Fat yields more calories per gram than carbs or protein so it's easy to over-eat.

I don't see why you'd want to go on a high fat diet. Go high protein, low carbs, and just keep an eye of fat. This way you can enjoy cheese, steak, etc without worrying, but at the same time you're not focusing on the fat... just the protein sources that contain some fat.

07-25-2002, 07:27 AM
a 20carb/50pro/30fat diet works ace or what I'm doing on cardio and off days is a 20/45/35 split. Thats fairly high fat.

jc_az
07-25-2002, 11:01 AM
I've been experimenting with a relatively high fat diet. (about 40% of total calories) from a diet based upon high carbs. like most suggest.

Here's what I found:

Action:

When dieting to lose fat I did what is customary, decreased overall calories by primarily cutting into carbs. Calories went from 3900 to 2200.

Result:

Lost 25 lbs. after 16 weeks. (6 of these lbs. were muscle based upon b/f measurements prior to and after dieting down.)

Action:

Dieting to gain LBM w/minimal fat accumulation. I did the opposit of what is normally prescribed. I increased calories by INCREASING fat intake, with minimal carb. increase.

I continue this process to date and have found that while I have increased my daily caloric intake from 2200 to 3200 my % of LBM has stayed much lower than when I was dieting to gain using carbs. and the primary increasing factor.

Protein was consistent between the two variations at 1g/1lb.

Thus far I have gone from a low weight (post cutting diet) of 190
to a current weight of 200 with a very minimal amount of fat gain.

I haven't had my b/f measured as of late, but based upon the mirror I would state my b/f % has most likely gone DOWN since converting to a high fat diet.

I have determined, for myself at least, a high fat-low carb diet to be the best format to achieve my goals.

Hope this helps.

GIS
07-25-2002, 12:28 PM
Yep, low carbs with the calories replaced with fat is certainly the way to go. I guess Harvard has done a study for the past 20 years or so and studied 300,000 people and concluded that carbs are what make people fat because they eat too many.

y2klifter
07-25-2002, 12:43 PM
Alright,

So to confirm what your saying. The LBM gain was slower using low carbs?

So to gain LBM a high carb diet is good but its best to cut on low carb, high fat?

:confused:

Tiare
07-25-2002, 12:57 PM
Just a suggestion since you want what's best for you, not just guess work.

Week 1-3 do isocaloric.
Week 4-6 do ketonic or high fat
Week 5-7 do a "traditional" low fat diet

See which one you like. Just keep your calories the same on all three and remember that if bulking, you will gain less as time goes on and with cutting you will lose less as time goes on.