PDA

View Full Version : I need to get to 200 lbs.

WillyTheGreat
07-24-2002, 07:12 PM
I'm 173.5 lbs. I haven't been working out for about 2 months cuz I was away from home plus before I left, I had finals. I was thinking about gaining the weight first and then starting...is that OK?

Also, should I eat cleanly to gain the weight or does it not matter just as long as I get there?

One more thing...how long do you think it should take for me to get there? What'd be healthy?

NateDogg
07-24-2002, 07:19 PM
So you are going to try to put on 26.5 lbs of fat. WTF for?

RussianRocket
07-24-2002, 07:32 PM
While gaining that weight you're not going to train? Whats the point of gaining weight? Like Dogg said its just fat

WillyTheGreat
07-24-2002, 07:42 PM
Good point.

GIS
07-25-2002, 12:21 AM
Ahhh... the misconception that fat turns to muscle. I hear guys saying that fat turns to muscle, but I don't tink that's exactly true.

Having fat just gives an extra energy source for the body, but it's not like it miraculously turns to muscle with a little weight training. You'll just find yourself with muscle AND fat once you do start training again.

WillyTheGreat
07-25-2002, 03:14 AM
So does that mean I'll have more energy while working out if I just gain 25 pounds in fat?

NateDogg
07-25-2002, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by WillyTheGreat
So does that mean I'll have more energy while working out if I just gain 25 pounds in fat?

I would guess that that would not be the case. I know some really fat people, using that theory, they should have all the energy in the world. Remember though, your body has to support any extra weight you put on it.

Shao-LiN
07-25-2002, 09:05 AM
Agree with ND. I have a few chubby friends myself....they can barely run a mile, if at all...not much energy there.

ryuage
07-25-2002, 09:27 AM
wow maybe i should gain 100 lpbs of fat so I can have all the energy in the world.. haha

WillyTheGreat
07-26-2002, 04:02 PM
Energy and endurance are different things.

Relentless
07-26-2002, 04:08 PM
LOL!

My younger brother thought the exact same thing about working out. He was all about getting a little spare tire going so he'd be able to get big.

If you simply want to WEIGH 200lbs, I guess you could do it by eating a lot and getting fat.

Eat a lot, sure, but eat good clean food, and lift weights like an animal. You'll gain weight.

chris mason
07-26-2002, 06:59 PM
If you do not have a natural propensity for being overweight, and in fact have a quick metabolism, eat everything you can get your hands on. Don't worry about what you eat, just eat. All of this concern about getting fat is foolish. I assume you are a young man with a pretty quick metabolism. What is keeping most of the people on this site from their size and strength goals is the irrational fear of food. They think that eating tuna and chugging protein shakes all day will make you big. I have news, it won't. Of course, if you take steroids you can eat like that and get big, but not if you are a natural trainee. When I was 19, I went from the high 180s to 220 lbs completely natural. Yes, I put on some fat, but I was bigger and stronger than 99% of the other kids my age, whether they were taking steroids or not. No, I was not a blob. The only way to get huge naturally is to put on some fat. You must also train properly, of course, but your caloric intake must be sufficient.

NateDogg
07-26-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by chris mason
If you do not have a natural propensity for being overweight, and in fact have a quick metabolism, eat everything you can get your hands on. Don't worry about what you eat, just eat. All of this concern about getting fat is foolish. I assume you are a young man with a pretty quick metabolism. What is keeping most of the people on this site from their size and strength goals is the irrational fear of food. They think that eating tuna and chugging protein shakes all day will make you big. I have news, it won't. Of course, if you take steroids you can eat like that and get big, but not if you are a natural trainee. When I was 19, I went from the high 180s to 220 lbs completely natural. Yes, I put on some fat, but I was bigger and stronger than 99% of the other kids my age, whether they were taking steroids or not. No, I was not a blob. The only way to get huge naturally is to put on some fat. You must also train properly, of course, but your caloric intake must be sufficient.

I have two problems with this, well only one problem with two parts:

Part A. He said he was going to wait to start lifting until he reached 200 lbs. You can not put on muscle just from eatinng everything in sight.

Part B. A friend of mine has a little brother. When his little brother was roughly 10, he was AT LEAST 100 lbs overweight (not muscle). My point being this, being young does not necessarily mean you have a raging metabolism.

NateDogg
07-26-2002, 08:07 PM
<<< notices that Chris said you mus train properly and not have a propensity for being overweight...takes back both part A and B.

Goin_Big
07-26-2002, 08:13 PM
hey, I need to get to 200 to, too bad I have to head downwards :)

oh yea, I agree with chris ;)

Big Daddy
07-27-2002, 08:19 PM
I think you will put on some muscle by just eating. I mean you're body probably wont store all the excess calories as fat. But the fat to muscle gain ratio would just be too much. Ultimately muscle and fat are just cells, they don't convert either way. I guess also the extra fat may help in some lifts.

So you might probably notice some benefit, but you'll be fatter and spend a lot more time cutting. And the more time you spend cutting the less time you'll spend putting on muscle.

I'd say eat to what you want to do. If you wanna get fat and floppy go for it!!! Or you could weight till you start training and get big and lean...

bob2624
07-27-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by WillyTheGreat

I have a few friends that did just that and they can now lift more than ever... but if u r gonna do that i would suggest checking out the powerlifting boards at http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum/index.php

The people there would probobly be able to help u with the weight gain issue more than bodybuilders.

Raven Blade
07-28-2002, 09:54 PM
From what I understand once you get a fat cell it never goes away. It can be shrunken to it's smallest size but they don't just disappear. :hide:

Saint Patrick
07-29-2002, 01:13 AM
Why wait to start working out?
Start working out now and bulk like hell.