PDA

View Full Version : Why dont you eat the yolks???

EVO
07-24-2002, 11:15 PM
I see everyone posting saying that they are just eating the egg whites. Why is that, i love eggs and part of that reason in the yolk!

GIS
07-25-2002, 12:15 AM
Yolk contains basically ALL the fat and, even worse, all the cholestoral. One egg yolk has something like 80% of the daily reccomended allowance of cholestoral for one day... and for the number of eggs I eat I'd probably be dead by now at the ripe age of 20.

The whites are basically just concentrated protein. Aside from the bad stuff in the yolk, just eating the whites means that you can eat more eggs because it's less food, meaning you eat more protein.

EVO
07-25-2002, 12:19 AM
wow man i had no idea about that. I mean i eat a lot of eggs when i wake up in the morning. I like them over easy so i can take the yolk and get it on toast and it eat. I have always eaten a lot of eggs, not for the protein but for the taste. I will have to start watching that. btw how do you get the yolk seperated from the whites?

EVO
07-25-2002, 12:26 AM
hey nevermind i did a search on google and found 2 possible ways, although i am sure that there are many more.

Shao-LiN
07-25-2002, 12:28 AM
I eat yolk all the time. There's an article on wannabebig.com on eggs if you want to read that too.

But if you're just looking for protein and not the fat, whites are what yah want.

EVO
07-25-2002, 12:42 AM
coolness, is there anywhere i can get the nutritional content on just the egg whites?

/edit, nevermind i need to spend more time researching before i ask questions like this. I found the answer to that and many other questions on http://www.enc-online.org/eggnutr.htm

just in case anyone else is intersted :)

EVO
07-25-2002, 12:53 AM
also it says that when the yold is seperated that the protein count drops from 6.25 to 3.52. The yold itseld contains 2.78 grams of protein.

GIS
07-25-2002, 01:37 AM
I've heard that just about all the protein is in the whites, but it seems like information changes source to source. I'm sure you might lose a little protein in the yolk though... makes practical sense.

If you get tired of seperating eggs and don't mind burning a little cash, you can by cartons from the store that are just egg whites. They come in little pint sized milk cartons... Egg Beaters, or the kind I buy are from Lucerine (In WA state) and called "best of the egg". They are fat free, last 2 months, and the container has like 90 grams of protein for 32 ounces. I scramble up about 10 oz at a time which is equal to a good 30 g of protein. Good stuff, and easy!

IceRgrrl
07-25-2002, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by EVO
btw how do you get the yolk seperated from the whites?

Just crack the shell in half over a bowl and tip the two halves so that the yolk stays in one of them and the white runs out. Then tip the yolk into the other shell and let the white run out...repeat until only the yolk is left. Discard yolk and shell. Or cook the yolk for your pets :)

stantheman
07-25-2002, 07:26 AM
I give them to my dog all the time. I thought I was the only one that did that.

millertime
07-25-2002, 07:36 AM
Eat the yolks. About half the protien of an egg is in its yolk, and all the fat is good for you. :D

jc_az
07-25-2002, 10:46 AM
Food good . . . . . Waste bad . . . . . Everything in moderation.

I eat the yolks and lick the shell to get every last drop of nutrition ! 3 WHOLE eggs every morn'in as a part of a BALANCED diet.

Vary your protein sources, manage your diet and you won't have a problem with cholesterol, fat, etc.

Manveet
07-25-2002, 10:52 AM
I eat about 3-5 WHOLE eggs in a day.

EVO
07-25-2002, 11:50 AM
If you boil the eggs for hard boiled eggs do the eggs still contain the same protein count? I mean does the boiling take some of that away?

Podium Kreatin
07-25-2002, 11:54 AM
the yolk cholesterol is the good cholesterol, not the bad one. u need the "good cholesterol" if you want to build testosterone, cuz that's what it's for.

if u worry about cholesterol (which you shouldn't, this isn't the type you have to worry about) get a yolk separator. i eat 2 wholes, and 4 whites for breakfast.

David
07-25-2002, 02:29 PM
I eat the egg yolks alright, but only two a day, in addition to 10 egg whites. you have to do everything in moderation, you would be a fool to eat a dozen yolks a day, LOL. don't even think about it.

gettinjackT
07-25-2002, 07:22 PM
the yolk is the best part of the egg........:thumbup: don't waste it......

Bruise Brubaker
07-26-2002, 09:06 AM
When I was younger I used to not eat the yolks cuz I did'nt like the taste of it.

Now, I force myself to eat the yolks. Yolk = good for ya.

I luv eggs.

BennettBoy
07-26-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by EVO
Why dont you eat the yolks???

I do:D

bob2624
07-27-2002, 05:26 PM
Although it is speculated that egg yolks contain alot of cholesterol I don't believe that the amount has been proven to be as much as it is thought to be.... that is just what I heard though and I am not sure about that.

lick
07-29-2002, 04:49 PM
heh, i eat about 10 whole eggs a day.

And those Nothing But Whites in a carton taste like shiet.

David
07-29-2002, 04:53 PM
you're not serious... are you???

MaFi0s0
07-31-2002, 09:11 AM
when i was younger i used to eat just the yolk
cholestrol tastes good

now im having poached and hard boiled egg whites

Brahms
08-02-2002, 03:22 PM
Egg Yolks get a bad rep. Eat them! The HDL cholesterol is good for you!

Tryska
08-02-2002, 03:25 PM
dietary cholesterol has no affect on blood cholesterol. your body regulates production up and down as necessary of blood cholesterol.

eat the yolks. they are good and good for ya.

Budiak
08-02-2002, 03:45 PM
Sometimes I make a tuna sandwich and fry up an egg, eat the white witha fork (or my filthy fingers) and then smash the yolk betwixt the bread and tuna. I tell you its like a big fat O on bread. Its like runny yellow ambrosia, I tells ye.

The yolk is the best part. And its all mine.