PDA

View Full Version : Is this True

OscarLip
07-25-2002, 09:23 AM
I was talking to someone about that I wanted to add muscle to my frame without gaining alot of fat.

anyway he told me that carbs is what make you fat and to lower it to 90g a day, not much more.

he said to up protein and not to worry about fat that it does'nt make you fat.

its excess carbs that make you fat.

i just want to know what you people think about this?

ryuage
07-25-2002, 09:24 AM
excess calories make you fat not "just" excess carbs. of course you're gonna gain a little fat while puting on muscle but how much fat you put on depends on you.

Alex.V
07-25-2002, 09:25 AM
90g of carbs is REALLY not enough. It's not excess carbs that makes you fat. You want to gain muscle, you need more carbohydrates than that.

Stray
07-25-2002, 09:32 AM
Workout regularly and eat clean and you won't get fat.

I typically keep my Carb/Protein/Fat ratios at 40/40/20

jc_az
07-25-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ryuage
excess calories make you fat not "just" excess carbs. of course you're gonna gain a little fat while puting on muscle but how much fat you put on depends on you.

I agree with this statement to a degree . . .

It is widely understood that some persons are more carb. sensitive. In being so, when consuming the majority of daily calories in this form, these persons will gain more excess weight than if they had consumed these calories in the form of healthy fats and/or protein.

I'm a good example of this.

I recently experimented with ratios in this regard. When eating a similar amount of calories, one in the form of the widely suggested 50% ratio of carbs. and the other in the form of a 25% ratio, I found I gained more lean body mass when on the lower carb. higher fat ratio.

I'm currently dieting to gain (after dieting to lose) and have gone from 190 to 200 with a very minimal amount of fat gain while on a high fat diet. Conversely during my last "dieting to gain" phase when using the customary HIGH CARB. approach my gains were nowhere near as pleasing. (which is why I had to "diet to lose" in the first place)

I'd suggest an experiment to determine what works best.

Hope this helps.

Relentless
07-25-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by jc_az
I'd suggest an experiment to determine what works best.

This is the best advice I think anyone can give or receive with regard to training and dieting. It's not about following a plan from a magazine, or that worked for someone else, or that you heard about from your cousin's haridresser's best friend's personal trainer's lesbian life partner.

It's about paying attention to how your body responds to workouts and different foods, tracking these responses, and iteratively changing the inputs into your body to achieve the results you want.

zwarrior99
07-25-2002, 01:27 PM
gain muscle? Just eat! and eat some more!