PDA

View Full Version : Do fats in your post w/o shake make any sense?

Behemoth
07-26-2002, 01:09 PM
To put it simple... fat's keep your insulin from spiking (or at least to some degree), but post workout you want your insulin to spike rushing the carbs to your muscles. So why does everyone add peanut butter or flax and such into their post-workout shakes?

raniali
07-26-2002, 01:14 PM
I don't for the aforementioned reasons you described.
There is a time and place for everthing and I believe that fats (too much) and carbs are better not mixed. But that's just my opinion.

NateDogg
07-26-2002, 01:20 PM
I don't mix fats in either, also for the reason you stated.

Blood&Iron
07-26-2002, 01:32 PM
Taking a moderate amount of fish oils or CLA with your postworkout shake isn't a bad idea, as the insulin will help shuttle them into fat cells--which in this case is what you want. Really, you can take them with any high-carb/high-glycemic meal, though. If you take them at other times, they tend to be oxidized rather than stored. I wouldn't take too much, though, for the reasons you mention. Although, I shoudl mention I've seen a number of authorities remake than just taking flax with a shake probably won't really have the anticipated effect, as you'll just end up with a biphasic column with the flax oil sitting on top, and the shake below(Think of pouring oil into water) Consequently, the fat won't slow gastic emptying or lower the GI as one might anticipate. This isn't a sure thing though, merely inference. Anyways, I usually take 3g CLA with my postworkout shake.

gopher
07-26-2002, 01:39 PM
An insuline spike pretty much takes you out of fat buring mode and puts you in a carb burning fat storing mode. If you are using a low carb diet to burn off excess bodyfat you want to stay in fat butning mode. Post workout dietary fats will keep your body in fat burning mode.
Also, if you are having trouble gaining mass on a high carb diet fats are an excellent way to add some extra calories. Your metabolism is racing post workout and a tablespoon or two of PB is not going to slow down the absorption of your post workout shake.

Behemoth
07-27-2002, 12:06 PM
Taking a moderate amount of fish oils or CLA with your postworkout shake isn't a bad idea, as the insulin will help shuttle them into fat cells--which in this case is what you want.

Why would I want to shuttle fat into my fat cells? Wouldn't that just put on bodyfat and not effect muscle growth?

Blood&Iron
07-27-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by TryingToBeBig

Why would I want to shuttle fat into my fat cells? Wouldn't that just put on bodyfat and not effect muscle growth?
Because CLA and fish oil have, in the long term, positive effects on body composition when they are incorporated into fat cells.

Behemoth
07-28-2002, 01:06 PM
What is CLA?