PDA

View Full Version : best kind of alchohol while training

bob2624
07-27-2002, 05:45 PM
hey, I was just wondering... I have to drink... although i am only 16 i have to drink... I don't think i am addicted but i crave it almost every time i see it so can u guys give me any suggestions? What is better while training, beer or hard liquor? Keep in mind that I am drinking enough to get drunk... Which is better and what kind of each?

Shao-LiN
07-27-2002, 06:03 PM
I'd say there is no best alcohol. And you don't "have" to, you just choose to. It's all on you, just gotta decide what you want more.

bob2624
07-27-2002, 06:16 PM
I know I don't have to but I do want to... It's a way for me to have fun and I like it... No matter what, I am not going to stop drinkning, but that's my own stubborness.... But I would really like to drink whatever would do the the least damage and have the least effect in my training. I appreciate ur concern and trying to get me to realize that it is all mental, but right now I don't think I am gonna stop. But thanks. Any suggestions about the booze?

GIS
07-27-2002, 07:25 PM
Any hard a straight without juice is best... if you can stand it. Most alcohol has like 100 calories and very little carbs in a shot. It's the beer and juice used to mix that results in a lot of calories (empty ones at that) that get people fat.

Alcohol also is known to make it more difficult for the muscles to recover. Like I've said in other alcohol related posts just realize theres moderation with everything and that involves bodybuilding. There's more to life than muscles, and drinking alcohol occasionally wont hurt ya.

---- edit -----

Woah, I just realized that you're 16. Hehe, obviously people drink underage, but also realize there's more to life than muscles and alcohol, especially at 16. :)

gopher
07-27-2002, 07:27 PM
Getting drunk and training don't mix. As long as you plan on drinking your bodybuilding is going to suffer.

GIS
07-27-2002, 07:33 PM
Scharzenegger and his lifting buddies in Austria used to go out in the woods, train by doing pullups/pushups/tree lifting in the woods while getting drunk, having sex, and eating whole chickens.

IMO training and not enjoying some of lifes pleasures dont mix. I don't personally drink and that's because I just don't like the feeling/taste, but I do other things like eat a doughnut and pizza occasionally. God forbid!

We all have different goals wich is great, but look into what you find important and made decisions according to that when it comes to training and life.

bob2624
07-27-2002, 08:20 PM
i don't want u guys to think that i am just an alchoholic dirtbag because of my last 2 posts. I am really not I only smoke about 2x a month and casually drink about once a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less, and i know that if i am gonna try to be a pro body builder i would have to stop it, but i am just training for myself, i have no dreams of competing nor am i doing this for anyone else. I just like to drink and smoke every once in a while. Although it may slow down my results, i still enjoy it. I may consider drinking less, merely because i don't know if my liver is fully developed so that could cause problems. But thanks for ur input and if anyone else has any on what to drink or when i will be glad to listen. -thanks

Bobbytn
07-27-2002, 09:06 PM
Drinking is not always a choice! At 16 you are already showing the signs of addiction whether you beleive them or not. Your best bet is to stop now while you are young and haven't distroyed your your life. Besides and I'm sure you don't like to hear this it is illigal for a 16 year old to drink! There is a reason for that law and that is younger people do not understand enough at 16 to make the best decisions yet. You could get away with it and even show sume signs of growing muscle but it won't last! Good luck!

Bobbytn
07-27-2002, 09:10 PM
Oh and as far as being a dirt bag I don't think you are. I think you as well as many young people as well as adults. Just need to realize what they are actually doing to your bodies.
You are probably a cool young man. But going down the wrong path but still wise enough to question it. You now just need to
accept the fact that you may have a problem and actually get help

bob2624
07-27-2002, 09:54 PM
I appreciate ur feedback Bobbytn. I know that drinking is illegal at my age and smoking is illegal for anyone but that is not at all my motivation to stop. My motivation is only health reasons. Because i believe i know most of the other health reasons caused by smoking and drinking, I wanted to know some of the reasons that will directly affect my workout and, because i know that i am not going to stop, even though i stand by my declaration that i am not addicted, which alchoholic drinks will do the least harm to my workout. I appreciate all of ur criticism and I may try to drink hard liquor instead of beer now if i need to drink, or maybe i will try some protein... not sure. I may try to cut back alittle but I am not sure.

Shao-LiN
07-27-2002, 10:12 PM
drinking + weed isn't the greatest for someone who wants to train hard.

I understand the want, especially when you're young. I drink as well, but it's more along the lines of like 2-4 times a year, if at all. As I said, it's all about what you want more. You will inhibit your progress some.

nightop
07-28-2002, 12:45 AM
alcohol literally destroys protein synthesis levels..... there is absolutely no way to drink on a consistent basis and grow anywhere near like you would off the drinking.

GIS
07-28-2002, 12:59 AM
Bah, unless you're an alcoholic who drinks every night all this talk about drinking being the demise of bodybuilders is nonsense, alththough if you did drink constantly it would be true.

For the average once or twice a week social drinker who doesn't go to get drunk there is nothing to worry about. Even if it means not gaining one or two pounds over the course of the year, so be it. Granted we all have different levels of comittment and goals in lifting, but life is life so I say live it... alcohol and all. ;)

TurboStu
07-28-2002, 11:53 AM
If your serious about lifting and becoming a better you, than there is no place in your life for alcohol or drugs. I started out with a guy that drank and smoked, much like you, and he trained twice as hard as I did, and though genetics did play some role, I way out did him. BUT as soon as he stopped his gains were amazing, i never gained as fast as he did. Now we are about even, but never would have been if he continued. Alcohol and pot have no benefit as far as I am concerned. Poeple say if you smoke and then run you can go faster and further. You can do that on your own if your serious enough!

Bobbytn
07-28-2002, 01:14 PM
GIS, I mean you no disrespect but your last post is almost as irrespnsible as I have ever seen. You are evedently a serious body builder by your information and you have done much in reading but I would suggest you listen more and offer less advice on things you know little about. Again I say this with respect to you because I do think you mean well.

Bob, Listen to the advice of TurboStu,nightop, Shao-LiN and gopher, Look at there profiles these guys know what they are doing with body building. I think you are serious about building a heathy strong body. But you ned to learn to respect that body
Why work hard during the week building your body and then try to distroy it on the weekends?
Again I suggest that you talk with someone (Maybe your Father!) if not someone you respect and LISTEN!
Be careful and safe Live long Hope to see you on stage someday as a Mr America or something!

NateDogg
07-28-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Bobbytn
GIS, I mean you no disrespect but your last post is almost as irrespnsible as I have ever seen. You are evedently a serious body builder by your information and you have done much in reading but I would suggest you listen more and offer less advice on things you know little about. Again I say this with respect to you because I do think you mean well.

Bob, Listen to the advice of TurboStu,nightop, Shao-LiN and gopher, Look at there profiles these guys know what they are doing with body building. I think you are serious about building a heathy strong body. But you ned to learn to respect that body
Why work hard during the week building your body and then try to distroy it on the weekends?
Again I suggest that you talk with someone (Maybe your Father!) if not someone you respect and LISTEN!
Be careful and safe Live long Hope to see you on stage someday as a Mr America or something!

Ok, bob2624 being 16 and should not be drinking aside, GIS' comment was right on the money IMO. I like to have the occasional beer or 2, or sometimes 3 :eek: It has not affected my gains AT ALL, I guarantee. Yeah, if I wanted to get to 3% bf and compete I would probably stop drinking alcohol all-together, but I do not, so I do not. Again, since he is 16 (and although mostly everyone I know had a drink when they were underaged) I do not at all condone him drinking, but as for it being as irresponsible a post as you seem to believe, it was not.

GIS
07-28-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Bobbytn

No offense taken... where would society be if there wasn't a little criticizm. :)

On that note, what I said is there is no shame in occasionally drinking socially. There is a BIG difference between responsible social drinking (which I was talking about) and those guys who go out several times a week to just get hammered.

Several drinks once or even twice a week is going to do very little to your goals. There will always be the story about the guy who stopped drinking and saw gains come like crazy, but I GUARANTEE that there are more people out there that do drink and have amazing physiques... my close friends included.

Saying that a few beers on Saturdays screws up a person's training and keeps them from getting big is a very inaccurate claim. People can post all the 'studies' they want to try and convince me otherwise, but I work off of first hand results and I can tell you there have been no complications with drinking and training in my experience. A buddy of mine went of to Arizona State for school at a measly 150 pounds, but came back a year later at 180 lbs of solid muscle at 7% BF. He did his share of drinking (Hey, it's ASU! :) ) but it didn't affect him whatsoever. Genetics has a lot to do with it, but he will ALWAYS remember the times he spent with his friends more than his abs.

Everybody has their own goals in bodybuilding. I personally want to live my life to the fullest and have an excellent physique to just add a little bit of confidence and pride... my life will NEVER be centered around what my body looks like. If a few beers every Saturday means I can go out and enjoy an evening with my closest friends or family, that will ALWAYS be more important to me than worrying wheter or not that alcohol is hurting my body's rebuilding after working out. If you're an alcoholic I'm sure drinking will affect your gains, but not an occasional beer or two (or three) on the weekends.

As for Bob's situation with being 16... I think he should consider laying off the alcohol because he's 16 and there is a hell of a lot more things that are important at that age than sitting around drinking. THe other thing is I know how teenagers drink (I just got out of the teen years), and it's never just sitting down having a beer or two... it's an all out drunkfest. If he does just have several beers now and then, well hey, all the power to you if its responsible. Go to Germany and that's a common age to drink, the only difference being that they know how to handle it and don't usually go overboard.

I'm not flaming... just backing up what I posted earlier. :)

bob2624
07-28-2002, 09:51 PM
I appreciate what u guys have been saying and I've been thinking about it alot. I have decided to basically stop drinking... maybe once every month or so... not sure about that though but i am gonna slow down alot if not stop altogether. I am nto doing this because of my age though. Not at all for my age. I am doing it because I, after reading what u guys have to say, have decided that drinking(although i am not an alchoholic) should not play as big of a part in my life as it does. I am gonna try to stop though and i will see how things go. Thanks

GIS
07-28-2002, 10:53 PM
Good choice Bob. Age should have something to do with it, but not because of the fact that it's under age. I stayed away from drinking as a teenager and watched many friends get sucked into the drinking thing/drugs and it lead just about all of them nowhere. It's something we all want to deny, but those people and situations you hang around ultimatly have an influence on what a person does. Hell, I'm in college now and I've watched people puke, pass out, and almost die because they arn't responsible enough.