PDA

View Full Version : soy protein?

bob2624
07-27-2002, 06:25 PM
what is the difference in gains between soy protein and whey protein? How do they work differently in u and which one is better? I know soy protein is mainly for women but will it still have the gains in men?

Tiare
07-27-2002, 06:37 PM
1st, get ready for a big screaming session about estrogen and testosterone based on a study dealing with the effect of soy isoflavins on the elevated level of testosterone in the colon of mice with colon cancer...

Soy protein is slower acting than whey and tends to not be as well digested. It is a very complete protein. For myself, I prefer whey because it mixes better and tastes better to me and if I want something slower acting, I'll just eat some cottage cheese or tuna.

bob2624
07-27-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Tiare
1st, get ready for a big screaming session about estrogen and testosterone based on a study dealing with the effect of soy isoflavins on the elevated level of testosterone in the colon of mice with colon cancer...

Soy protein is slower acting than whey and tends to not be as well digested. It is a very complete protein. For myself, I prefer whey because it mixes better and tastes better to me and if I want something slower acting, I'll just eat some cottage cheese or tuna.

I don't get ur comment on the mice... U r not saying that soy causes colon cancer r u?...

anyway.. so do u think that I should take whey as pre and post workout and soy as a "nighttime" pre- sleep protein?

Tiare
07-27-2002, 10:45 PM
No and No.

With the mice, there is a lot of belief on this board that soy turns to estrogen in your body or reduces testosterone. The belief comes from various body building forums and magazines which quote a japanese study that showed the soy protein isoflavins reduced the effects of colon cancer in mice.

No, I don't suggest soy as a pre sleep protein, I suggest cottage cheese :D. If you are taking protein before and after your workout and eating reasonable meals the rest of the day, you are probably getting plenty of protein IMO.

Saint Patrick
07-29-2002, 01:27 AM
soy protein is ok, but I'd limit it to once a day.

hemants
07-29-2002, 07:50 AM
Per gram of protein they have a fairly similar amino acid profile with Soy having more essential amino acids than whey.

Depending on the type of whey, it probably has a higher biological value which means that it will be absorbed more quickly.

Like others I prefer whey powder to soy powder because it mixes better.

However, in terms of edible food, soy is a good source of protein and can be eaten in a variety of forms.

Also, soy raises HDL and lowers LDL which is heart healthy.