PDA

View Full Version : Too much carbs bad?

Mystic Eric
07-28-2002, 04:08 AM
Are there any potential health dangers if I'm eating 800g+ carbs a day?

body
07-28-2002, 04:47 AM
how fat, protein are you eating as well?

are they fiborous carbs with low GI as well?

Mystic Eric
07-28-2002, 12:28 PM
Well I eat lots of protein as well. I'm eating about 5000 calories a day though. Most of my carbs come from oats, pasta, and rice. I have some fruit and I use dextrose pre and post workout.

Spiderman
07-28-2002, 05:39 PM
Eric,

If you're taking in 850 g carbs as you posted in another thread that means 68% of your calories are coming from carbs. IMO, there is no need for you to be eating this much UNLESS you're training for a marathon and running 10-20 miles a day. I'll assume you're NOT doing this, therefore, I think that you may want to lower those carbs drastically. The dangers of eating that many carbs are 1. Having to take a $hit a lot more often 2. Potential for a lot of those carbs to not be used and just be stored as fat.

I'd try to ammend it bro. Good luck. :)

Mystic Eric
07-28-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Spiderman
Eric,

If you're taking in 850 g carbs as you posted in another thread that means 68% of your calories are coming from carbs. IMO, there is no need for you to be eating this much UNLESS you're training for a marathon and running 10-20 miles a day. I'll assume you're NOT doing this, therefore, I think that you may want to lower those carbs drastically. The dangers of eating that many carbs are 1. Having to take a $hit a lot more often 2. Potential for a lot of those carbs to not be used and just be stored as fat.

I'd try to ammend it bro. Good luck. :)

Well I'm just worried about if it will affect my sensitivity to insulin. I work do landscaping/yard work so I need those cals. I've been doing this since the start of summer and I've been gaining roughly a pound a week therefore I haven't been putting on too much fat and I don't look much fatter.

But do you know about potential health hazards?

bob2624
07-28-2002, 09:39 PM
I dont' know too much about all the grams of carbs but i do know that with that many carbs u would need alot of fiber and i doubt that u r getting all of that.

Mystic Eric
07-29-2002, 12:41 AM
Well oats have a lot of fibre.

hemants
07-29-2002, 07:36 AM
If you're not gaining fat then there is no health risk because you are burning the carbs off with all of your hard work.

If you're really concerned you could get a blood test done and see if your Triclycerides are high.

Spiderman
07-29-2002, 08:16 AM
Oats have some fiber, but not a ton of it. I'm sure there are better sources of fiber out there. If you're worried, just to yourself some Metamucil or a fiber drink of some sort. I'm not sure whether or not it will affect your insulin sensitivity.. I think that only occurs when the high amount of carbs you take in are mostly sugar. Then there may be some health implications.

Even though you're doin that landscaping job, your body doesn't need that many carbs. The weight you're gaining is probably some fat and a little muscle. Although you may not see the fat right now, believe me... you may start to soon. So, I'm still gonna tell you to lower the amount of carbs your'e eating. The only people who need a diet of 60-70% calories from carbs are hardcore runners such as marathoners and triatholon people.

jc_az
07-29-2002, 01:04 PM
I have about 25% carbs. if that helps.

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-29-2002, 01:35 PM
Sweet christ, Eric, how many meals are you eating a day?!

ElPietro
07-29-2002, 01:44 PM
He is probably injecting corn syrup into his ass to get that many cals!

Mystic Eric
07-29-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Sweet christ, Eric, how many meals are you eating a day?!

5-6

David
07-29-2002, 04:43 PM
just wondering how many carbs (and of what kind) you're eating with each meal.

i eat 6-7 times a day and eat rice or oatmeal for my carbs source, (about 50-75carbs with each meal). How many carbs can you eat at one setting without storing it as fat?

Maki Riddington
07-29-2002, 06:58 PM
Good lord thats a lot of carbs.

Fuel
07-30-2002, 03:33 PM
the percentage is the problem, gotta lower the carb percentage to like 55% at the highest. yes, insulin sensitivity will be hurt, but only if you have a high percentage like 65%. btw, you cannot get diabetes from eating too much carbs, according to my uncle, a nephrologist for 35 years.

if you are worrying about insulin sensitivity, you might want to cycle the carbs w/ the fat. the means, eat all your carbs for first three meals, then hardly any for the last three while lowering fat for first three meals and kicking it up for last three meals. this starves your body for carbs, so when it finally gets them in the morning, ya shoot out a whole bunch of insulin.... i did this and my muscles blew up like a balloon, but it didn't last. pretty cool though. i was getting a lot compliments for like 4 days, then i actually felt deflated after that. who knows...... just something to research i guess.