PDA

View Full Version : How many protein shakes?

bob2624
07-28-2002, 06:44 AM
Right now I am drinking one protein shake before working out and one after the I take one before I go to bed. Is this too much, not enough or just right? I do get alot of protein during the day but I have never counted the grams. Should I get rid of one or add one when I wake up?

NateDogg
07-28-2002, 07:08 AM
I would try to keep it to 2 a day. Try to get most of your protein from real food.

Shao-LiN
07-28-2002, 08:59 AM
If it's whey protein, I'd change the one you drink before bed. You primarily want slow digesting foods before you go to bed.

MWB
07-28-2002, 09:17 AM
Keep the shake post workout and try to eat real food the rest of the day. If you need it for convenience sake, have a shake to fill the holes.
I like cottage cheese before bed.

bob2624
07-28-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
If it's whey protein, I'd change the one you drink before bed. You primarily want slow digesting foods before you go to bed.

I have been drinking all whey protein except before bed i drink soy because it supposedly acts slower... Do u think this is wise? Do u think the soy is worthwhile or that I should find something else for before bed?

Shao-LiN
07-28-2002, 02:52 PM
Honestly, I'd just go with some whole food. You're getting too much protein from shakes, IMO.

GIS
07-28-2002, 02:54 PM
Just eat 1/2 or a full cup of cottage cheese and wash it down with some soy milk before going to bed. That way you keep it natural foods that are low carb and high protein.

I've found anymore than 2 protein drinks causes some serious digestive issues with me... stomache aches and, how do I put this nicely... "the squirts". Although, I do eat a protein bar along with my two shakes in a day.

ryuage
07-28-2002, 03:40 PM
eat as much real food as you can (seeing that you really try to do this) then if not possible to consume whole food down a shake :) although I do have one post workout and sometimes *sometimes* before bed or for breakfast if time does not allow for me to get in and cook a meal.

Spiderman
07-28-2002, 05:49 PM
Damn, doin whole food the whole day can be difficult lemme tell ya. I find myself gettin tired from eatin so damn much food. My lunch yesterday looked like this....

4 oz Hamburger
1 chicken Breast
1 Protein shake (1.5 scoops in 8 oz Skim Milk)
2 Bagels

Protein: approx 80 g
Carbs: 75 g
Fat: 15 g

Now, that dont' SEEM like a lot, but its hard as hell to do that kind of thing 2-3-4 meals in a row.

By the time the day ends I've usually had around 6-8 scoops of protein powder along with whole food just to get all my protein in.

bob2624
07-28-2002, 09:55 PM
I understand what u guys r saying but if i eat whole food right before I go to bed, won't i gain more fat weight if the food isn't being worked off?

GIS
07-28-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by bob2624
I understand what u guys r saying but if i eat whole food right before I go to bed, won't i gain more fat weight if the food isn't being worked off?

I have been curious about this myself.

Popular theory says that eating a lot of carbs before going to bed more easily converts to fat, but I havn't read/heard any supported truth to the fact.

If you eat low carb, high protein foods you should be fine... such as cottage cheese and some shakes. I'll be curious to see what some of the veterans of the board have to say. I know I eat a lot not long before going to bed, but its usually low carb.

Shao-LiN
07-29-2002, 12:16 AM
Using that theory, you might as well cut the protein shake out before bed too...

Spiderman
07-29-2002, 08:25 AM
The carbs before bed thing is simple really... When you eat carbohydrates insulin is released into the blood. This gives your body energy to use for activity during the day, your workout..etc. Depending on the food you eat, more or less insulin will be released right after eating this food. For instance, eating some candy corn will give a sharp rise in insulin levels directly afterwards because sugar is easily digested and easily converted to energy. However, if you eat some oatmeal, this is digested much slower, thus the insulin will still be released but in a much slower fashion and give you sustained releasing energy instead of a burst like with the candy corn. (This is why its advised to eat whole grain foods like Brown Rice, Yams, Oatmeal, Whole Wheat Based Cereals, Whole Wheat Bread etc.)

NOW, the reason people say NOT to eat carbs at night... For the most part a lot of us are pretty sedentary at night. We sit on our ass and read the board, watch tv or play video games. Nothing very physically strenuous. Say you go to get some chips or popcorn or some ice cream..just as a snack while chillin on the sofa. That food is gonna give you a rise in insulin..no matter what. BUT since you are not physically active where's this energy that comes into the blood stream gonna get used? If you're just sittin on your ass its hardly gonna get used at all. The body says to itself "Well damn, I'm not doin a thing... I got all this energy here.. I should probably store it up to use later." This is when that insulin that just came into the blood gets stored as fat. Hence the reason to keep carbs low at night.

As for protein, that has little to no carbohydrate content in it and it will be used for growth, maintenance and recovery of muscle tissue while you sleep and help to keep from going into a catabolic state during sleep. So, the lesson to be learned here is to keep carbs low for that last meal of the night and keep the protein high.

g-dot
07-29-2002, 02:49 PM
Damnit Spiderman, where were you when there was the big thread on no carbs at night :P That summed up my thoughts exactly on the issue.

David
07-29-2002, 04:44 PM
3, before a workout, after a workout, and before going to sleep.

Kromax
07-30-2002, 04:21 PM
The correct answer is two. Seriously.

jc_az
07-30-2002, 06:07 PM
One . . . and only after a workout. Seriously.

Kromax
07-31-2002, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by jc_az
One . . . and only after a workout. Seriously.

I stand corrected.:evillaugh

millertime
07-31-2002, 06:26 AM
:withstupi

teeblair30
07-31-2002, 06:53 AM
I prefer two shakes a day. One after I workout. usually nlarge with water. My work hours are 2 30 til 11pm so my eating schedule differs from probably 90% of u. But I limit carbs after 5pm. I need to lose a few lbs. like 20lb. So when I get home at 11pm I usually take one more protein shake of Isopure w/ water..