PDA

View Full Version : Waffles, Pancakes, Bagels?

bob2624
07-28-2002, 08:50 PM
I work in a resturant that specializes in waffles and pancakes and so I have the opportunity, nemerous times during the week, to eat there free. When I do, I usually don't know what to get because I don't know anything about pancakes or waffles. Which one of the two is worse for u while training and y? Does it matter or should I stay away from them completely.

Bagels r another thing that I never knew about. I know that they r a good source of complex carbs but I don't know if I am better off eating them or something else. I face this decision almost every day and I don't know what to do.

Could someone please try to explain which of thee is best and which is worst and y?

EVO
07-28-2002, 08:55 PM
man that is going to be a tough one, why dont you look at the nutritional values on the boxes that the food comes in? Also i would still eat there if it is free. I mean it isnt going to be that bad for you as long as you dont put all that syrup, butter, and other toppings on there.

bob2624
07-28-2002, 09:16 PM
well no matter what i get, i eat it plain but i can't look at the nutritional stuff cause the guys make the batter from scratch... i dont' even know what is in pancake and waffle batter.... But thanks for the suggestion

Saint Patrick
07-29-2002, 01:21 AM
bagels are high GI, and good for bulking.

IceRgrrl
07-29-2002, 04:49 AM
It depends on whether they are using a pre-prepared mix or making the batter from scratch. Waffles and pancakes are mostly carbs, but there could also be a good bit of fat in there depending on how they are made. If you can find some nutritional info and work it into your daily calories, that would be the ideal scenario.

rookiebldr
07-29-2002, 08:44 AM
Waffles are usually higher in fat content since if I remember correctly the primary difference is between the two is some added oil in the waffles and the method of cooking. You might also see if you can get some protein along with it such as ham steak or milk. If not, bring along a protein shake.

Relentless
07-29-2002, 08:49 AM
Sylvester Stallone gained the necessary weight for his role in "Cop Land" by eating a steady diet of giant pancakes served at a local pancake house.

That's enough reason to avoid pancakes in my book. :)

In my opinion: If you're broke and could use the free meals, go for it. If you can avoid pancakes/waffles, by all means do so.

bigkevin20
07-29-2002, 09:02 AM
i woyld stay away too much bread

Bruise Brubaker
07-29-2002, 09:35 AM
Pancakes aren't so bad, especially if made with whole-wheat flour... 1 cup of white flour is like 95g carbs, only 3 g fibers and 13g protein. 1 cup of whole-wheat flour has 87g carbs, 15g fibers and 16g protein, which is much better. The other ingredients are mostly eggs and milk.

The only problems would be the added syrup when you eat it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm pancakes.

syntekz
07-29-2002, 09:43 AM
It's basically just a bunch of sugar, isn't it?

Shao-LiN
07-29-2002, 11:45 AM
I haven't seen a pancake place yet that actually used whole-wheat flour, hehe.

g-dot
07-29-2002, 01:02 PM
bagels are high GI, and good for bulking.

In a word, No. High GI foods are ones you would like to avoid on a regular basis as they lead to very high insulin response. I don't care if you're bulking or not, the point of bulking isn't to get fat. Bagels are fine every once in a while , but I'd never make them a staple of any diet. There are far better ways to get carbs than bagels. If you don't agree with what I have said, by your reasoning (that high GI foods are good for bulking) such things like instant rice, instant potatoes, etc. are superior to the equivalent fresh unprocessed rice and potatoes where only the GI value of the food differs.