PDA

View Full Version : Are all carbs created equal?

EVO
07-29-2002, 01:14 PM
Hey i have getting more into the nutrition side of things lately and i have been counting 4 things.
fat
calories
cards
protein
Now i have read that a high carb diet is good for bulking and lifting for mass. I read somewhere that a 200 lb person(such as myself) should be getting around 500g of carbs a day.
Now someone told me that all carbs are not equal and to not even bother couunting carbs that are in colas and other soft drinks.
Now i dont drink coke or colas of anytype anymore but i was wondering what about gatorade. I drink it all the time and it has a high carbohydrate count. Should i be adding these to my daily totals? Also are they the same as carbohydrates that i would find in pasta or a potatoe?

thanks..

:strong:

FuriousFerret
07-29-2002, 01:37 PM
All Carbs are essentially sugars. There are 2 types- Simple and complex. Simple burn almost as soon as it is digested whereas complex takes time to burn. Pasta and Potatoes are complex, most fruits and candies are simple.

Silverback
07-29-2002, 01:39 PM
'Gatoraaaaddeee', H20 my momma ses

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-29-2002, 01:44 PM
Calories from carbs are all the same - 4 kcals per gram, however, not all carbs are equal in fibre, thermogenic value, satiety value (the lower the value the more likely you'll eat more [of the same food and possibly other calories from other foods] <-- Generally, but maybe not always), concentration (eg fruit juices over the actual fruits, and then there's the vitamin and mineral content etc...

Yes, count the carb from gatorade.

The carbs aren't the same in the sense that the gatorade is "simple" whereas carbs from starchy foods like potatoes and pastas are "complex".

Think of it as paper clips - a simple carbohydrate source has many separate paper clips, a complex source has these paper clips bound together in a chain.

Simple carbs digest quickly, cauing a sharp rise in blood sugar, resulting in a high and fast rise in insulin. Complex carbs digest more slowly and give a more pronounced effect on insulin.

Simple carbs can boost insulin into "spiked" territory (can be defined differently - no "ultimate" definition) which is where anabolism is probably as it's highest, but fat storage is also poentially at it's highest. Taking in fat at these times will most liely push the fat straight into fat cells, but also the carbs and amino acids into tissues such as muscle and the liver (the anabolic side of it).

EVO
07-29-2002, 02:35 PM
holy crap! I have just learned something amazing!

Thanks you guys! I had no clue, until now, how that worked :)
This will help me greatly in my new dieting venture!

:strong:

Bam Bam
07-29-2002, 02:38 PM
is ti ok ot eat health corn chips with my after workout meal?

The_Chicken_Daddy
07-30-2002, 01:24 PM
What are they bammer?