PDA

View Full Version : Tuna and mercury poisoning - opinions

tudmuf2b
07-29-2002, 02:09 PM
Just saw the recent study about how the mercury in canned tuna was supposed to be a health risk to pregnant woman (thankfully I don't qualify to be in that category). But I was wondering in general, how much tuna is too much?

Right now I'm inhaling 2 cans a day Monday thru Friday and doing protein shakes on the weekends, and I think that's okay, but in general what have the studies been saying as applied to body builders?

Thanks!

nightop
07-29-2002, 05:57 PM
good question.. i've heard this before and always wondered about it... i take in easily 2 cans per day... I will drastically lower that if I need to for safety.

GIS
07-29-2002, 07:01 PM
Salmon can be a safer alternative to tuna in terms of toxins (smaller fish), or so I've heard. I'm curious to the issue as well, though.

Natural Animal
07-29-2002, 08:24 PM
I sprinkle mercury on my tuna. MMM good.

GIS
07-29-2002, 09:23 PM
Kinda like back in the oldin' days when bakers would sprinkle white lead on their fresh baked loafs for cosmetic purpses. Oops.

gopher
07-29-2002, 10:52 PM
I think it's all a bunch of bull$hit, but that's just my opinion.

NateDogg
07-30-2002, 06:31 AM
I am not versed enough the subject to provide a valid opinion, but I am a master of the google search!

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/reprints/mercury.html

That should pretty much cover it, and any other fish food you might want to eat. There is a chart at the bottom with the mercury contents of different sea foods.

tudmuf2b
07-30-2002, 09:40 AM
The rumor is that the Gov't and other health agencies have been scared to offend the Fishing Industry is why we don't see the warnings like we do for cigarette smoking or something similar.

Hmmm...?