PDA

View Full Version : Feed me!

Feckless
07-29-2002, 11:48 PM
Hi folks,

I think that I've got the fundamentals of pre- and post-workout diet down now. But what about dinner and breakfast?

What should I eat before and after sleeping? I understand that sleep can be a very catabolic time, and I figure I should avoid simple carbs at these times, so that suggests protein to me. What about fat and complex carbs?

If people could post their pre- and post-sleep meals for me, I'd really appreciate it. :)

Thanks!

GIS
07-29-2002, 11:54 PM
AM when I wake up (High carb/high protein):
1 cup oatmeal (microwaved w/ milk)
1 cup egg whites + 2 whole eggs
2 pieces wheat bread

PM before bed (low carb high protein):
Protein shake w/ milk (50g protein, 650 calories, 17g carbs)
1 cup cottage cheese
1 slice bread (to make the cottage cheese go down easier... yuck)

jc_az
07-30-2002, 06:03 PM
What you consume really depends upon your goal at the given time, but for general review I contribute the following:

BFast:

4 whole eggs
1 slice cheddar cheese (real thing)
4 slices turkey bacon
40g oatmeal
1 oz raisins
8 oz milk (2%)

Pre-Slumber: (varies but here's a sample)

2 oz lean beef (sliced for sandwiches)
1 slice of 100% whole wheat bread
1 slice swiss cheese (real)
8 oz. milk (2%)
Apple

Feckless
07-30-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by jc_az
What you consume really depends upon your goal at the given time...

Can you expand on that a bit? How should my macronutrient intake before and after sleep change when I'm bulking, as opposed to cutting?

And does anyone else want to share their menus? :)

Goin_Big
07-30-2002, 09:28 PM
I dunno that it would matter, wouldn't you think a person's body would use up that extra food while they were sleeping? So, whether you're cutting or not, as long as you aren't exceeding your calories while cutting I'd think it'd be all gooooooood :)

jc_az
07-31-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Feckless

Can you expand on that a bit? How should my macronutrient intake before and after sleep change when I'm bulking, as opposed to cutting?

I simply meant when cutting vs. bulking the requirements are different. Personally, I don't vary my pre/post sleep meals in either regard.

For example:

Bulking is more dependent upon carb./fat intake (higher) and total caloric consumption. (higher)

Cutting is more dependent upon carb./fat intake (lower) and total caloric consumption (lower) ,as well as, a higher level of protein intake. (to decrease, as much as possible, lean mass loss due to protein synthesis)

If I were to modify the diet posted above on a cutting cycle I'd simply remove a bit of the carbs. from the meal and replace with healthy fats. I'd follow this same task throughout my daily intake.

The caloric deficit, accompanied by a decrease in carbs. supplemented by an increase in healthy fats (for energy) in addition to an increase in cardio-type activities forms the basis of my regiment when the desire is to lose b/f and retain as much lean mass as possible.

For bulking exactly the opposite is followed. The desire is to fuel new lean gains, whist gaining a minimal amount of the squishy stuff.

I am currently experimenting with a bulking cycle whereby carbs. are only minimally increased, with the bulk of calories coming from healthy fats.

Thus far, the lean gains are coming-on, but much slower than what was apparent when carb. intake was higher in relationship to fats. However, the fat gains have almost been non-existent, so there may be merit to this process if one is patient.

Hope this helps.

Feckless
07-31-2002, 08:44 PM
Thanks, jc_az!

Anyone else want to share their breakfast menus?