PDA

View Full Version : fasting

codei
07-30-2002, 02:58 AM
unfortunately due to a new (but great) job situation, ive been unable to find the time to consistently workout for the past couple months. ive been trying to eat right but nevertheless have gained about 5-10lbs.

right now im in a crunch situation where i have to lose it quickly.. ive always wanted to give fasting a try but didnt due to the muscle loss. right now thats not a concern.

so, has anyone tried this or have any tips?
- how many days did you go
- how much water
- medications, yay or nay? (aspirin or whatever)
- smoking? i normally dont but its good for getting rid of cravings i think

stantheman
07-30-2002, 08:07 AM
Fasting is a terrible idea.

Shao-LiN
07-30-2002, 10:48 AM
haha...if you want to lose weight quickly. Most of that weight will be muscle loss. Also, when you do eat again, your body will store a lot of fat in anticipation for another "fasting" cycle. So you're just hurting yourself.

Shao-LiN
07-30-2002, 10:50 AM
I believe you can survive like 3 days to a week w/o eating...not sure.

iLUDEd
07-30-2002, 11:50 AM
i woudlnt be able to survive more than half a day without eating..

Shao-LiN
07-30-2002, 01:54 PM
I'm just going from what I remember in all my bio classes. Your body can go w/o food for awhile, but can only go a short duration w/o water.

You'll be hungry as hell, but you'll still be alive. After that, you're pretty much endangering your health and can die, of course.

codei
07-30-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
I believe you can survive like 3 days to a week w/o eating...not sure.

might want to recheck that info.

Stray
07-30-2002, 03:57 PM
You can survive up to a month without eating... more if done right.

But all your loss wil be muscle...and by the 4th or 5th day you'll be so exhausted you won't care about anything much less weight loss.

Kromax
07-30-2002, 04:14 PM
I agree with the above posts. Why the sudden need for weight loss? As set forth above, attempting to shed pounds quickly will result in a loss of lean muscle. Fit some cardio activity into your day. Do squat thrusts before bed.

bovinda
07-31-2002, 05:04 PM
I also think fasting for weight loss is a horrible idea. My longest fast has been three days, but it wasn't for weight loss, and fasting is NOT an effective technique for weight loss--as others have pointed out. You won't really lose weight doing it in the long run, and you can really hurt yourself fasting incorrectly. Just lose weight the old-fashioned way--with patience. :)

The Badass
07-31-2002, 05:54 PM
Or hell, got get an ECA like Xenadrine or Hydroxycut. If you're too sensitive to ephedrine, get Xenadrine EFX, it has no ephedrine and is supposedly twice as effective for fat burning.

But just so you know, if you are already in decent shape, the dieting is going to be your key to success because the last few pounds of fat are the LAST to go. It takes real dedication and discipline to lose the last few pounds because your body desperately is trying to hold onto it.

Saint Patrick
08-04-2002, 10:08 PM
don't do it dOod.