PDA

View Full Version : Protein Cycling.

Goin_Big
07-30-2002, 09:18 PM
I was reading an article on testesterone.net about protein cycling. Basically you drop your daily protein intake to 40 grams of protein and maintain this for a month. Apparently your body will start to create 10 times its normal gh. After this period you up your protein intake to 1 gram per lb of bw for 4-8 weeks. Supposedly the gains are amazing.

I'm wondering, has anyone every tried this. I don't know if it's total bs or if it actually works, but it sounds cool.

(for any newbies reading this, please don't try this, I'm just curious about it.) :)

FuriousFerret
07-30-2002, 11:16 PM
I've been looking all over the net but I can't find the article. Essentially it said the body becomes dependant on the amount of Protein you intake daily and makes several adjustments to slow down muscle growth. Some sort of cycle then would work. Of course, I take every internet article as hearsay.

Goin_Big
07-30-2002, 11:17 PM
yea, but it's still interesting, especially if it pants out :)

Blood&Iron
07-31-2002, 07:18 AM
It's bs.

This article address the idea:
http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/mcdonald/protein-04.htm

If you're too lazy to read it, here's a paragraph from near the end:

With regards to the concept of protein cycling, while the general idea is somewhat logical, in that decreasing protein intake can cause a transient decrease in oxidation and turnover, there is little indication that there will be a net gain in body protein when protein intake is increased again. In the same way that liver proteins are the first lost, they will likely be the first regained. And by the time liver proteins have been rebuilt, rates of oxidation and turnover will have returned to normal, leaving the individual with no net gains.

millertime
07-31-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Goin_Big
I was reading an article on testesterone.net

It's crap.

nightop
07-31-2002, 11:13 AM
there may be some merit to the idea.. but that is just one more thing for me to mess with... i say forget that.

Goin_Big
07-31-2002, 10:47 PM
I'm not planning on trying it, I just found it interesting.

I'm just gonna stick with my pyruvate and hmb. ;)