PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in a quest to be big - Hows my diet?

Totality
07-31-2002, 07:00 AM
OK, here's the deal. I'm 24. 6ft 6, 250lbs. Chest is 40inch, waist is 38inch, biceps are 14inch. So what you get from that is basically a guy who is spread out - my arms are too skinny for my frame, I'm not exactly ripped, but despite my weight etc, I'm not fat as such - bar a little beer gut anyway.

The goal is to drop 4inches off my waist whilst building my arms and chest (and abs, obviously).

I'm doing weights 3 times a week (M, W, F), and doing intensive cardio once a week. On top of that I walk 20mins a day, and do 30 situps currently per day.

Diet wise:

Breakfast: Shredded Wheat/High fibre cereal. Protein Shake.

Lunch: Usually I'm at work, so its usually a microwaveable meal such as Lasagne or Tuna with Pasta, followed by a low fat yoghurt and a can of diet coke.

Dinner: Usually some form of meat (chicken, pork or beef) served with salad or fresh veg and brown rice.

Snacks: 2 Jaffa Cakes/biscuits. Ice-Cream 2/3 times a week.

I've cut right down on alcohol, limiting myself now to drinking once per fortnight. I'll admit Sat night is my "cheat night", and I usually open some doritos or have a pizza.

I'll also have another protein shake after lifting.

I've been sticking to this for a few weeks now, and although I'll admit I do feel better for cutting out potato, white rice, white bread as well as fast/fatty food, my body doesnt seem to be changing shape....My chest is showing signs of developing slowly.

Any changes to be made? All input greatly appreciated :help:

Joe Black
07-31-2002, 07:13 AM
I think you would need to perhaps go a little more hardcord to get the change you want.

save the snacks for one day of the week. Thoe other days eat clean to the T.

Apart from that it sounds good and you have to give yourself a little more than 2 weeks to see some good changes. bea little patient with it, it will come.

You might also want to think about your total calories and perhaps adjusting this to suit your goals (weight gain or loss)

Joe Black
07-31-2002, 07:14 AM
oh and its good to see another English guy on the boards even if you are from up North lol

*looks at Robboe.

Totality
07-31-2002, 07:17 AM
Cool, thanks :)

So how important are calories? I obviously need a fair amount as I'm quite big as it is - but as long as protein is high and carbs are low, I should be ok, right?

Stray
07-31-2002, 08:33 AM
Go to some place like www.fitday.com and start counting your intake...calculate what your body needs on a daily basis and tweak from there. (which the site will help you do also)

bob2624
07-31-2002, 09:56 PM
There was an article in one of my local newspapers recently about how calories r constsntly mispercieved by many people. It said that the reason that America is so obese is that many people see "low fat" and think that it is not bad for them. n important thing to remember though is that even if u ate no fat at all(which wouldn't be too good for u) but u still overloaded urself with calories u would still gain weight and probobly get fat. Just because it is called fat in food doesn't mean that that is the only part of the food that causes a gain in fat in ur body. You obviously do need alot of calories becuause u said u r a big guy and u r working out; i don't count my calories, but i watch em and i would suggest u do that. Instead of the ice cream 2/3 times a week, try to get some frozen yogurt. Make sure u drink alot of water and if u can do it, cut down on the soda, cause diet soda even just once a day, in my opinion, is a no-no tuttut . It is up to u though, depends on how dedicated u r. I am not planning to compete, but because i have a goal i cut out soda, alchohol, and ice cream as well as anything else that i would normally enjoy... hehe. It is good that u cut out the fast food, u r obviously pretty dedicated, but it is gonna take u a while to lose those 20 lbs on the diet u r on now... IMO. But that, of course, depends on how much cardio u r doing. But of course this is all in my opinion so u have to decide how dedicated u r to lose that weight, but i think that u can do it as long as u keep a positive attitude and stay consistant, even if it takes a while... just be patient. :D