PDA

View Full Version : Amount of Protein when cutting?

_8_Ball
07-31-2002, 08:14 AM
Hey everyone...

I was just wondering, I'm currently on a low carb diet to help me lose that last 20lbs. I was wondering since I only lift about 2 days out of my 5 workout days (doing cardio the rest of the time). Should I still be taking in 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per lbs? Or should I go like .5 since I'm cutting...

Any info would help...

Thanks,

_8_Ball:confused:

Maki Riddington
07-31-2002, 08:26 AM
Depends, whats's your weight. Generally it helps to increase ones protein intake when dieting. How much depends on how well your body absorbs/digests/uses protein and experiemnting to see just how much you need. I would start high and work your way down.

raniali
07-31-2002, 10:12 AM
However, Maki - I have read and been told that increasing protein on low carb diets only shifts your fuel source. Proteins are broken down when carbs are absent/decreased and increasing protein, in effect, tells your body to use these instead of fat.

OTOH - I follow a pretty rigid CKD and have been experimenting with my f/p ratios.....interestingly enough, I find I do better and hit ketosis faster when I increase my protein a little. Who knows what is 'right' anymore!

Anyone else with other opinions?

Maki Riddington
07-31-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by raniali
However, Maki - I have read and been told that increasing protein on low carb diets only shifts your fuel source. Proteins are broken down when carbs are absent/decreased and increasing protein, in effect, tells your body to use these instead of fat.

OTOH - I follow a pretty rigid CKD and have been experimenting with my f/p ratios.....interestingly enough, I find I do better and hit ketosis faster when I increase my protein a little. Who knows what is 'right' anymore!

Anyone else with other opinions?

*** Yes, but I was assuming he wasn't referring to a CKD or low carb diet that entailed very low amounts of carbs.
Generally, without talking about specially tailored methods (CKD,TKD, Atkins etc.) increasing your protein intake will help.