PDA

View Full Version : Working out 1 hour before sleeping, what to eat?

hemants
07-31-2002, 11:50 AM
I usually workout around 9:00pm and sleep around 10:30 leaves me 30-40 minutes between working out and sleeping to eat.

Thus far while cutting I've been taking 1 cup of skim milk and about 30g of whey protein.

Should I add more carbs? (I have a fairly carb heavy dinner at around 7pm)

Paul Stagg
07-31-2002, 12:10 PM
Are your workouts suffering?

hemants
07-31-2002, 12:22 PM
Not really, for the past two months I've been cutting about 2 lbs every three weeks and I haven't lost any strength (I haven't really gained any either).

Behemoth
07-31-2002, 09:45 PM
Milk is 80% cassein (the slowest digested protein). When mixed with whey, it's going to form a fairly slow digestion. So I don't know if your going for rapid for your post workout, or slow for night time, but that's something to think about.

If I were you and had to work out that late, I would take a quick digested protein shake right after you workout, go to bed and set your alarm for 1.5 hours later and eat some chicken rice or cottage cheese and oats, or make a slow digesting protein shake.

hemants
08-01-2002, 05:44 AM
Thx for the suggestion.

I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is :

1. is the fact that I'm not consuming carbs after my workout going to be catabolic?

2. if I do add something like maltodextrine just before sleep, is that going to contribute to fat storage?

Paul Stagg
08-01-2002, 07:27 AM
1. is the fact that I'm not consuming carbs after my workout going to be catabolic?

** the main thing you are looking for is an insulin spike and to replentish muscle glycogen. The insulin spike isn't a requirement, and if your performance isn't suffering, you are probably OK with glycogen.

2. if I do add something like maltodextrine just before sleep, is that going to contribute to fat storage?

** Not enough to worry about, as long as your overall caloric intake is in line.

MarshallPenn
08-01-2002, 07:29 AM
Have some whey, have some casein, have some carbs, have some fat. Don't go overboard. Like Paul said.