PDA

View Full Version : It's CUTTING time! Need advice...

The Badass
07-31-2002, 05:35 PM
Okay, I hesistate to use that traditional term because I'm one of the few who believe and know that you can burn fat and build muscle at the same time, you don't have to specifically focus on one or the other...but...

Let's say I'm focusing harder on fat loss at the moment, for the next 30 days or so.

The only supplement I'll be using is protein. No ECA's or fat burners of any kind. I'm going to see just how good my progress can be without ephedrine.

Basically, what are some good pointers to cutting into the remaining fat I have and finally achieving the long awaited six pack?

FuriousFerret
07-31-2002, 06:38 PM
Best way imo would be to go 40/40/20 with caloric intake a tad over your bmr and do HIIT cardio in the morning before you eat anything. Works for me.

I dont think it's too hard to gain lean mass and lose fat, it's just the bulking/cutting cycle is faster to pack on the muscle.

The Badass
07-31-2002, 07:06 PM
Would it be okay to down a whey shake in the morning before I take off to workout? That way I won't be using lean muscle mass for energy at any point...

FuriousFerret
07-31-2002, 09:44 PM
well, the key to morning cardio is to burn calories on an empty stomach, with no food to burn off, so it takes the fat stores instead. This will also up your metabolism for the rest of the day. I would drink it afterwards

gregnb
08-01-2002, 12:13 PM
Cardio in the morning on an empty stomach works great! I just take in 5 grams of glutamine before I go and do brisk walking just incase any muscle loss may occur. Taking glutamine, ECA, or even a strong cup of coffee before heading out will be pretty good to save onto muscle. Here's a pretty good article: http://www.athleticnutrition.com/Article87.shtml.

Shao-LiN
08-01-2002, 04:57 PM
I dunno about everyone else, but I tend to cramp up like crazy if I eat or drink too much water right before a run.

NateDogg
08-01-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by FuriousFerret
well, the key to morning cardio is to burn calories on an empty stomach, with no food to burn off, so it takes the fat stores instead. This will also up your metabolism for the rest of the day. I would drink it afterwards

I believe that cardio does not increase metabolism for more than a half hour (at the longest) after you are finished. Also, when you wake up in the morning, you are in a catabolic state, it is not a good time to put yourself further into a catabolic state by doing cardio. I would recommend throwing in 10-15 minutes cardio after your training sessions.

Just my $.02

gregnb
08-01-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by NateDogg
I would recommend throwing in 10-15 minutes cardio after your training sessions.

Aren't you in a catabolic state after a strength training session as well?

NateDogg
08-01-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by gregnb

Aren't you in a catabolic state after a strength training session as well?

Honestly, I am not sure, but at least you will most likely have eaten within the last 8 hours. Someone please jump in on this one?

gregnb
08-01-2002, 05:53 PM
I think the article that can be found at http://www.athleticnutrition.com/Article87.shtml makes a good point ->

"All aerobic exercise will have some effect on building muscle, but as long as you donít overdo it, you shouldnít worry about losing muscle. It's a fact that muscle proteins are broken down and used for energy during aerobic exercise. But you are constantly breaking down and rebuilding muscle tissue anyway. This process is called "protein turnover" and itís a daily fact of life."

I think as long as you keep your protein intake high throughout the day it'll even out. Like you said though nate, anyone else got their take on this?

MRJ
08-02-2002, 11:48 AM
I complete cardio weekly, first thing in the morning, after not consuming anything for 6 - 7 hours.

Additionally, the last meal (before slumber) is relatively low carb.

I load with 200mg of caffeine prior to the exercise & the session lasts 2 - 3 hours, involving moderately paced running & climbing relatively steep mountains via service roads & trails.

Additionally, I don't eat anything for an hour afterwards.

To-date I've had no adverse effects.

Silverback
08-02-2002, 12:27 PM
I agree with Nate, surely if you get up in a morning after ave 8hrs of ne food, you will be in a catabolic state, i think you should consume something, because eating will increase the metabolism, whereas if your without nutrients then the body will ration the fat, as a safety barrier.

Saint Patrick
08-04-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Big-Ron
I agree with Nate, surely if you get up in a morning after ave 8hrs of ne food, you will be in a catabolic state, i think you should consume something, because eating will increase the metabolism, whereas if your without nutrients then the body will ration the fat, as a safety barrier.

Well according to that article, Eating raises insulin, which makes fat burning more difficult.

NateDogg
08-05-2002, 06:37 AM
To sum up that article.

Do your cardio in the morning if you want to, it may burn a higher % of calories from fat.

Eat some protein before you do it, which will help prevent the body using muscle for energy, but will not cause insulin to spike as much.