PDA

View Full Version : protein quality and various concerns

someoneunlikeyo
08-02-2002, 04:56 PM
does the quality of protein vary? like some fats are worse than others, the same goes for protein, like tuna protein has gotta be better quality than protein shakes. is 30g of tuna protein equal to 30g of shake protein?

also i heard peanut butter is really good, but theres not that much protein, as for eggs, theres only like 2.5g of protein per egg minus the yolk, thats a total of 12.5g of protein for 5 eggs, yippee, why do people praise eggs so much, there not that great.

Manveet
08-02-2002, 06:17 PM
Eggs are an awesome source of EFA's

Shao-LiN
08-03-2002, 12:04 AM
Eggs are great source for both good fat and protein.

As for tuna protein vs. shake protein...it depends. Post workout, you'd probably opt for the whey protein shake since the protein can get absorbed at a faster rate than whole food. But whole food is preferable for a normal source of protein in a meal.

GIS
08-03-2002, 12:15 AM
Don't count plant protein in your daily totals, including grains such as wheat and starches such as pasta. They tend to contain protein, but the biological value is not very high. Obviously it's protein and it will help a little, but if you're aiming for 200g of protein a day, try to get most if not all of that from eggs, meat (white, red, and fish), milk, and whey. Soy protein can be good which contradicts the plant thing. These will yield the proteins that benefit bodybuilding.

Peanut butter is good for it's source of good fat. There was a thread recently that had an attachment of an article that explained the different types of fat and which are good... look around and I'm sure you'll find it in the diet/nutrition forum.

someoneunlikeyo
08-03-2002, 01:49 AM
thanks guys, i still eat tons of meats and eggs and peanut butter as i know there are important, my girl friend tells me my head might turn into an egg:D

its just somethig wasnt adding up and i needed to clarify it, thanks again

NateDogg
08-03-2002, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by someoneunlikeyo
as for eggs, theres only like 2.5g of protein per egg minus the yolk, thats a total of 12.5g of protein for 5 eggs, yippee, why do people praise eggs so much, there not that great.

Where did you get those #'s...and eat the yolk, or at least a few of them.

body
08-03-2002, 07:00 AM
The more protein you eat, the less you have to worry about the quality.