PDA

View Full Version : Any way to learn eating cottage cheese ???

Davy
08-03-2002, 12:26 PM
Just tried for the first time to eat cottage cheese , and it made me almost puke :(

Is there any way how you can learn to eat it , since it is a cheap and good proteine source ?

If anybody had the same problem and can give me some usefull info , i would apreciate it very much.

Keep on lifting !!!

NateDogg
08-03-2002, 12:29 PM
I had the same problem. I still do not love it, but let me tell you, for me anyway, brand makes a difference. I tried the store brand and it was terrible. I then tried Breakstone's small curd and it's quite tolerable. Some people here also add stuff to it. Search for cottage cheese on the forum and I'm sure you can find some ideas.

FuriousFerret
08-03-2002, 12:36 PM
Mix it with Yogurt...mmmmmm

Shao-LiN
08-03-2002, 01:07 PM
Knudsen's! Yummy!

Behemoth
08-03-2002, 01:46 PM
Luckily I like all cottage cheese. But I can definetly vouch that brand makes a huge difference, some taste WAAAAY better than others. Also try sprinkling some pepper on it, that seems to be a favorite around here.

Tiare
08-03-2002, 01:50 PM
I like it straight from the container mostly, but brands do make a huge difference. Also the fat content makes a difference in taste (I like 1% fat flavor best).

When I feel like it, I'll eat it with:
-Pasta (Kaluski or spagetti and cottage cheese is really good)
-Fruit
-in a tortilla

GIS
08-03-2002, 02:33 PM
Cut up some fruit and eat it with it... I use a banana. Also, get a piece of white bread take a bite of the cottage cheese then a bite of the bread, and it actually tastes tolerable if not good. I can't stand the stuff on its own so try eating it with something... something sweet helps quite a bit.

MWB
08-03-2002, 03:00 PM
If you can get it, try the Friendship Dairies brand. It's the only cottage cheese I will eat. All others taste horrible to me.

tudmuf2b
08-03-2002, 09:09 PM
Eat Friendship and don't buy a cheap brand, otherwise you'll puke your brains out...

ryuage
08-03-2002, 09:35 PM
what a funny topic haha learn how to eat cottage cheese :)

rookiebldr
08-03-2002, 10:04 PM
Yep, brand is important as well as fat content - 1%. My wife eats it with brown sugar :tutut: My daughter calls it lumpy cheese - yuck. I love it just plain.

Raven Blade
08-04-2002, 12:11 AM
So do a lot of people here really eat cottage cheese? I suppose I could start eating it if it was worth it.

Comments?

Tank23
08-04-2002, 03:20 AM
What exactly is cottage cheese??? Is it ricotta cheese?

Shao-LiN
08-04-2002, 08:38 AM
No, cottage cheese is exactly that...cottage cheese. If you're at a grocery store, it's probably grouped with the milk, creamer and stuff.

ryuage
08-04-2002, 09:11 AM
nothing so special about it. drink some milk! :) I went thru like 8 gallons in a week and a half haha.

Shao-LiN
08-04-2002, 04:43 PM
Works good for me...pop it into a sandwich with peanut butter...tastes goooooooood.

gettinjackT
08-04-2002, 05:27 PM
Friendship Cali Style = ACE, mix some fruit in it (bananas/pineapples) if you want...........

NateDogg
08-04-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by ryuage
nothing so special about it. drink some milk! :) I went thru like 8 gallons in a week and a half haha.

Milk is great too, but the special thing about cottage cheese is that you get more protein than milk and less sugar.

Saint Patrick
08-04-2002, 09:19 PM
I love it straight outta the container w/ some pepper.

mmmmmmmmm........

galileo
08-05-2002, 07:32 AM
From what I've learned about yogurt I have come up with an interesting theory:

Lactaid brand milk contains an enzyme to break down all of the lactose (sugar) and they don't add corn syrup or anything else to it. So, Lactaid milk probably has a lot less sugar than the label reads. I posted something called the Yogurt Exception. If I am wrong, as I usually am, I'm sorry.

Read : http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html

arnach
08-05-2002, 07:56 AM
I had the same experience. I took a big scoop and was very, very close to puking. Anyway, that mixing it in yogurt sounds like a good idea.

NateDogg
08-05-2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by galileo
From what I've learned about yogurt I have come up with an interesting theory:

Lactaid brand milk contains an enzyme to break down all of the lactose (sugar) and they don't add corn syrup or anything else to it. So, Lactaid milk probably has a lot less sugar than the label reads. I posted something called the Yogurt Exception. If I am wrong, as I usually am, I'm sorry.

Read : http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html

It is possible that that article is correct. However, since it was basically written, it seems, by the yogurt company, I would want to see more studies on that.

Tryska
08-05-2002, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by gettinjackT
Friendship Cali Style = ACE, mix some fruit in it (bananas/pineapples) if you want...........

:withstupi

i tried cutting fresh mango into the cali-style once. it fookin kicked ass.

08-05-2002, 01:22 PM
if you don't like cottage cheese, here is 1 tip - move to Canada.

LAM
08-05-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by galileo

I just wanted to make a correction. when the lactase enzyme is added lactose is broken down into glucose and galactose. the simple sugar content of the milk does not change.

I've never seen a reduced sugar milk in the US (imagine that !). they will probably come out with a new milk with additonal sugars added for all the fat a$$es ! lol

LAM
08-05-2002, 10:05 PM
Davy...I couldn't eat it either when I first tried it many moons ago. I would first go with the regular version which I think is 4% milkfat. then go from the 4% to the 2% then you should be able to make the jump to fat free. there are definetly differences in taste between brands..it will take some trial and error

GIS
08-05-2002, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I hated it at first but as time went on I learned to tolerate it. I just get this really small tupperware bowl and put a cup of cottage cheese in it and eat it with this little baby spoon I have. I can't just eat it out of the tub it comes in or chow down with it all on a big plate. I'm eating it as we speak with diced up apples... cottage cheese with fruit is the way to go. Strawberries, apple, banana, pineapple... really anything works well.

Shocker
08-05-2002, 11:40 PM
mixed with eggs on a sandwich

PrinterPaper
08-06-2002, 01:35 AM
w/ strawberry yogurt and frozen strawberries in a blender.