PDA

View Full Version : Fat vs Carb question.

Coleman
08-03-2002, 05:04 PM
I've heard that your body only uses carbs to make your muscles contract harder and stronger. All your other energy comes from fat being used, and the fitter you are the better your body burns fat as energy.

If this is true then wouldnt it be smarter to eat more protein and fat (meats) and less carbs? I was thinking of eating meat, salads and berries and cut out everything like bread and potatoes unless I'm bulking.

What I'm actually looking for is the best way to stay energized during a race. I race in harescrambles (a form of motorbike racing) and the races are usually 1.5 - 3 hours long. Believe it or not, these races are VERY demanding and you have to be in great shape. What would you guys suggest?

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-04-2002, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Coleman
I've heard that your body only uses carbs to make your muscles contract harder and stronger. All your other energy comes from fat being used, and the fitter you are the better your body burns fat as energy.

Hmmm...carbs is primarily used for anaerobic exercise like weight lifting or interval training. But i do believe that the body prefers using fat for about 95% of activities (aerobic and such). Is that what you mean?

And i'm not sure about a 'fitter' person burning fat better. Are you refering to body fat or dietary fat?

If this is true then wouldnt it be smarter to eat more protein and fat (meats) and less carbs?

Some people think so, yes - providing you have some sort of carb cycling happening every few days at least. Other people prefer a predominantly carb based diet. It really comes down to personal preference after the calorie requirements have been met.

I was thinking of eating meat, salads and berries and cut out everything like bread and potatoes unless I'm bulking.

What I'm actually looking for is the best way to stay energized during a race. I race in harescrambles (a form of motorbike racing) and the races are usually 1.5 - 3 hours long. Believe it or not, these races are VERY demanding and you have to be in great shape. What would you guys suggest?

Well if they're up to 3 hours long it's probably more aerobic. (can some body stay in an anaerobic mode for that long? i'm not sure but i'm doubtful).

It'll take you a little bit of time to accustom yourself to low carb training if you aren't already doing so, but once you have it's just like training on carbs - i actually probably train better on lower carbs, but like i said earlier, it's just personal preference.

Are you asking this question because your energy is shitty during these races and you're looking for an alternative? I take it as so.

Why not give lower carb eating a try out and see how things go (but include some sort of carb loading every few days) during your races?

body
08-04-2002, 10:11 AM
as chicken says - give it a go.

give it a while to see the changes happen. do not expect a miracle over night.

in the motor biking is it constant demand or do you require sudden out burst of max power?