PDA

View Full Version : Cardio! Help!

shadoh
08-05-2002, 08:56 AM
First, a little history. I have always been relatively slim. I can eat almost as much as I want and I don't really get "fat". I get a little belly in the midsection but mostly I stay slim.

As I've grown older, and as I've started working out more intensely, and seeing results, I notice diet changes a lot more (when my abs start getting covered in fat, I start noticing!)

Here's my problem: I HATE cardio. Hate it. But I know it's a necessary evil. Even when I eat right, and work out 5x a week, it's still hard to shed the extra fat. I realize a good diet plus cardio is key to losing fat (and working out, duh), but my problem is I have trouble getting motivated to do cardio. I'll get on the treadmill, seriously intending on staying on for an hour, even at least 30 minutes, but after 10 or 15 minutes I get bored and fed up and want to stop.

I've tried everything I can think of. I play music on my headphones, I watch TV, I try different machines (elyptical, steps, bike), I've tried "real" cardio (running outside, riding my bike, swimming). I just don't get into it. Anyone have any suggestions? I really want to bring my bodyfat down. I haven't measured it in a while, but I'm sure I've got at least 18-20%. :cry:

:help:

equinox10
08-05-2002, 10:49 AM
I know alot of people who can't do cardio on a treadmill or any type of machine in the gym. Even though I've never had this problem, have you thought about running outside? The scenery can make it better, and you don't have to run at a set speed like on a treadmill, so you can change your pace more often depending on how you feel. Also, how many times a week have you been attempting to do cardio? You say you work out 5x a week, and if you're doing cardio and working out on the same days, that might make it tougher to get through it as well.

-Justin

shadoh
08-05-2002, 11:54 AM
Thanks equinox...

Even though I've never had this problem, have you thought about running outside?

Go back and re-read the last paragraph in my original post! :)

As for how often I do cardio, that's the thing -- I rarely if ever do it. I do it once a week. If I do it twice a week, it's a miracle.

I get sort of a light cardio workout almost every day when I do a 30-minute crunch class, but that's not really intense as far as cardio goes. Other than that, I do cardio 2 or 3 times a month, max. That's my problem -- I need to do a little more. I'd like to at least get one great cardio workout a week, maybe even two...

Again thanks for the response...

NateDogg
08-05-2002, 11:58 AM
Seriously? Suck it up and do cardio, or don't do cardio and eat very clean to get your BF% down. As many here will tell you, you do not necessarily need to do cardio to get your BF% down.

shadoh
08-05-2002, 12:18 PM
:nod: NateDogg. I <b>know</b> I need to just suck it up and do it. I'm just seeing if anyone has any suggestions to help me out. I definitely could use improvements in my diet, but I could also use improvements in cardio. :D

equinox10
08-05-2002, 04:56 PM
It seems like you have pretty much tried everything. If you can't get into it, then you have two choices. You can just suck it up, and even though you can't stand it, do it anyway. I mean, it is only twice a week, right? Or, as NateDogg said, you can just eat really really clean when you are trying to cut. It'll be more difficult that way, as your diet will have to be pretty much perfect, but there arent many other options. Of course, you could just screw it all together, eat relatively clean and keep bulking :)

-Justin

Spawn_X
08-05-2002, 05:16 PM
cardio also improves your heart, doesn't it?

i hate cardio to hell too, but someone on this board told me to do this:

run for 1 minute, walk for two, run for one more, walk for two more...

then slowly by slowly change the ratio (more running, less walking).

have you tried jumprope? I seem to do it a lot better than running, and can go a lot longer.

shadoh
08-05-2002, 08:19 PM
jumprope, huh... that's an idea. Thanks!

And thanks to everyone else. Guess it's pretty much unanimous -- just suck it up. ;) I really need to find something to keep me going, though. We'll see...

Shocker
08-05-2002, 08:34 PM
Try boxing
excellent cardio

Kayak_boy
08-05-2002, 08:53 PM
That's a good call actually Shicker, there are heaps of guys at my gym getting into boxing training.

Most of them wouldn't beat their way out of a brown paper bag, but it's a great workout!

Sebi
08-06-2002, 09:23 AM
ever tried aerobics?

Spawn_X
08-06-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Sebi
ever tried aerobics?

I'm thinking of trying that as well.. Nothing better to stimulate me than a whole lot of sexy females in sweaty tight clothes :cool:.

Beats looking in the mirror on the treadmill for 10 minutes..