PDA

View Full Version : I can't cut carbs :(

Totality
08-05-2002, 04:00 PM
Please help :help:

How do you guys cut out all the carbs? Fat I can handle, but the carbs are killing me - I cut out white rice/bread, potatoes etc...but even through cereal, yoghurt etc my carb intake is way too high!

Suggestions??

galileo
08-05-2002, 04:02 PM
http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html

Read that, eat your yogurt.

Otherwise, get some self control. How can we help you stop shoving all that **** in your mouth? Just mah-******* do it. If you want to lose weight and get leaner, do what you know is right.

MarshallPenn
08-05-2002, 04:36 PM
Why is your intake too high? Maybe you should go read Belial's diet post in the "Bodybuilding Addict" (or something like that) thread. Just don't eat too much and you'll be fine -- carbs are good for you!

LAM
08-05-2002, 04:59 PM
Totality...post your diet

Shao-LiN
08-05-2002, 05:02 PM
You eating yogurt and cereal 6 times a day or something?

nikolaipapp
08-05-2002, 05:03 PM
I am in a cutting phase right now for the Musclemania World Championships, and it is difficult but you just have to ask yourself how much you want it. A lot of guys just want to "get big" and pay no attention to the 80% rule of nutrition as it relates to bodybuilding. I am currently 200 at 9% BF and I am taking 300 grams of protein, 225 grams carbs, and the fat takes care of itself from the lean protein sources I eat (tuna,chicken, low carb shakes). I eat only oatmeal and brown rice for my carbs, with half of my daily intake coming after my workouts in the form of Hawaiian Punch ( I love the stuff). Makle the most out of the 45 minute window post-workout to take in as many as 100 grams of simple carbs, they will have no effect on your diet, they will go straight to your muscles. This is a great window to satisfy that sweet tooth, just watch the fat but you can eat candy and drink soft drinks if you want.....:D

Totality
08-05-2002, 05:04 PM
Like I've said in the past few days, i'm pretty new to this 'game'. Typical day goes something like this:

Breakfast: Protein Shake, Shredded Wheat (3), OJ
Lunch: Microwavable Lasagne, Yoghurt, Diet Coke
LAte Afternoon:Diet coke
DInner: Chicken/Beef/Fish with Brown Rice & Veg, Yoghurt, Water

Then I start snacking later - more cereal, tuna, water, few slices wholemeal bread, protein shake after workout...

nikolaipapp
08-05-2002, 05:07 PM
I would advise you to cut out the yogurt, too many simple carbs. You'd be better off eating more meat, it will fill you up more. Also, lay off the cereal if possible.

Totality
08-05-2002, 05:09 PM
Ok, thanks for the advice. I really wanna make this work - I'm really not missing any of the fats at all, I just feel like I need carbs to fill me up for some reason...

Shao-LiN
08-05-2002, 09:52 PM
Replace cereal with oatmeal. I'd cut out the pasta, or at least make it whole wheat if it isn't already...I doubt it is, I haven't seen any microwavable/instant lasagna that is actually wheat.

I'd try to lay off the sodas as well...there's some carbs in that if I'm not mistaken..maybe some sugar too?

Up the meal count to like 6 meals or so if you're not doing that already...other than that, it's all on what you want more.

Goin_Big
08-05-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by MarshallPenn
Why is your intake too high? Maybe you should go read Belial's diet post in the "Bodybuilding Addict" (or something like that) thread. Just don't eat too much and you'll be fine -- carbs are good for you!

Anybody who was born with a naturally slow metabolism will be annoyed with posts like these. I have nothing against you personally, but it just doesn't work this way for everyone. Personally, even while cutting back calories I have a hard time losing weight. I have to take eca to even have a decent metabolism. Please don't take this offensive, but you have no idea how fast his metabolism is, so maybe he needs to cut carbs.

MarshallPenn
08-05-2002, 10:22 PM
why not cut fat or cut protein? why carbs? I don't take offense to your response GoinBig, but it doesn't answer the question.

Goin_Big
08-05-2002, 10:25 PM
You make a good point there, but protein is needed for muscle, and fat helps keep your body in an anabolic state. While carbs are very important, by getting most of your carbs post workout , you can minimize the effects of cutting carbs. I dunno, I just know alot of people lose weight on low carbs :D

P.S. - Everything I've written above is total bs.

MarshallPenn
08-05-2002, 10:33 PM
GoingBig - I agree 100%, a lot of people lose weight on low-carb or keto diets, but ultimately, I think you get nearly identical results with all low-cal diets. Ultimately, I think you're best off just eating whatever you like to eat (in terms of macros), as long as at the end of the day the calorie total is not too high and you hav a healthy mix of essential fats, proteins and carbs for recovery (unless you are going the keto route).

MP

equinox10
08-05-2002, 10:43 PM
Quick question....how much muscle do you guys find that you lose while you are on a keto diet? I'm planning on cutting in about a month or so, and I want to do a keto-style diet for a few weeks, but I'm very concerned about muscle loss. When I was obsessed with losing body fat about a year ago, I would eat very few carbs and find I was rapidly losing alot of mass. In other words, is it better to skip the keto?

-Justin

Franjipani
08-06-2002, 01:47 AM
Hello Totality,

First of all you MUST have some self-discipline and determination. There is no such thing as "can't".....you either DO or you DO NOT...simple as that.

The diet cokes have gotta go....do you know what you are doing to your body by filling it with that shite??? When it metabolizes, it breaks down to formaldahyde (formic acid) which requires fat to neutralise the acids in the body......

Cutting the carbs will give you greater definition in your muscles. Once you eliminate a lot of sugars from your diet your body will begin to Alkalize and those cravings will cease...

Get really focused on your outcome - make your goals real !!!

Cheers,

Franjipani..
:D

MRJ
08-06-2002, 11:42 AM
I'd be cautious about recommending a LOW CARB. diet, everyone is different and has varying degress of success.

I practice MODERATE carb. intake when dieting and get there very slowly. My traning partner followed a similar method during our last cut, but then went drastically low in carbs. (down to 75g daily) combined with a calorie deficit of almost 1,700 cal. spread-out over 16 weeks.

Granted he lost 27 lbs. of b/w, but it was only a 5% loss in bodyfat leaving the remaining weight loss as primarily muscle.

He went from 215 at 17% (lbw of 178.45) to 188 at 12% (lbw of 165.44) for a total muscle loss of approximately 13.01 lbs.

Hope this helps.

nikolaipapp
08-06-2002, 11:50 AM
Hey, MRJ, your buddy cut carbs WAY too much. It's just plain fact that low carbs, high protein, low fat works every time in losing the most bodyfat and the least muscle. I started the cutting cycle I'm on now at 206 at 15% BF and in my 3rd week I am 200 at 9% BF. I am actually getting stronger and I can notice a little bit more size. I am taking in 225 Gms of carbs per day with 90-100 of those coming after my workout and the rest dipersed throughout my early meals. I'm eating 7 times a day, every 2 hours.

Tryska
08-06-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by nikolaipapp
It's just plain fact that low carbs, high protein, low fat works every time in losing the most bodyfat and the least muscle.

that's an awfully expensive way of burning sugar. If you said low carbs, high protein, moderate fat i might agree, but using protein as your primary fuel, means that protein goes through an extra step to get converted to sugar to get burned. Of course if you are converting protein to sugar to get energy, then you open the doors to catabolism, if you are eating in a calorie deficit.

nikolaipapp
08-06-2002, 11:59 AM
I have to agree, Tryska, with the moderate fat intake. I just don't pay attention to fat because none of the foods I eat have even near high fat amounts. It does worry me that I'm not getting ENOUGH fat, so I have been supplementing with 5 g of CLA per day, I should have mentioned that. I also take 6 g creatine and 20 g L-Glutamine per day. If any of you guys aren't taking at least 10 g of Glut per day, start now.

MarshallPenn
08-06-2002, 12:11 PM
Nikolai 2 questions.

1) I take it you are against cyclical or targeted keto diets. If so, can you explain why you don't think they work?

2) Why the glutamine recomendation? I don't take any supplements as I feel they make a negligible difference. What have you seen that indicates they are worth the money? Looking for someone to change my mind on this one.

nikolaipapp
08-06-2002, 12:28 PM
Well, it depends on what you guys mean when you say "keto" diet, as I've never heard this as a description for an overall diet. When your body is in a state of ketosis it essentially means you are using stored bodyfat for fuel and not glycogen (carbs). So technically, I would say any diet that you are losing BF on is a keto diet. As far as cyclical diets, I always cycle my diets depending on what I want at the time.
To clarify a couple of things, when I diet to get lean I do it very slowly and over a 12 wk period. I do carb up every 4th or 5th day where I double my carb intake and lower my protein intake while keeping my fat intake low to confuse and stimulate my metabolism.
The glutamine recommendation is simple. If you take it as recommended, it will spare more muscle, increase your immune system, make your overall health better. L-Glutamine is the largest amino acid in the body and the body doesn't produce it naturally, so it's very, very beneficial to supp with it. Ever since I startyed taking it 3 or 4 yrs ago, I think I've been sick twice and I used to get sick 2 times a year like clockwork. I also notice that I gain better on my mass cycles and I retain that mass better when I diet when the Glut is flowing. You won't notice it overnight, but like anything that is worthwhile in life give it some time and I garauntee you will notice the difference. I order my supplements from www.affordablesupplements.com because there is no sales tax for me (CA tax is a bitch) and I buy about $150 worth a month and it would cost me about $225 if I go to my local health food stores. I buy my protein powder, glut, multivitamin, and usually 1 new supplement I haven't tried but have heard good things about once a month. I have a good job and can afford to do it, so I do. But if you're on a limited budget, protein powder is #1 and glut is #2 to spend extra cash on.
Sorry to rant for so long, it's refreshing to talk shop with you guys 'cause I have a lot of friends but none of them are into working out.

hemants
08-06-2002, 02:17 PM
Why do you want to cut carbs Totality?

Just eat 0.8g - 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, roughly 0.5g of fat per pound of bodyweight and make up the rest in high fibre, low glycemic carbs.

As long as you eat a couple hundred calories per day below maintenance and keep working out you WILL lose fat and maintain muscle.

Totality
08-06-2002, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Just a couple of things.

1. If Diet Coke is free of carbs, why do some people tell me its bad for me? I appreciate it has some **** in there, but how will it affect my muscle gain and fat loss?

2. My metabolism rate has - like Goin Big's - always been slow. Should I lay off carbs further?

TreeTrunks
08-06-2002, 03:28 PM
I've heard from some chemistry buffs that aspartame converts to some pretty bad compounds

Totality
08-07-2002, 03:47 PM
Ok, I've been very good the past couple of days. In case anyone can spare a couple of mins to critique my diet, I'll post it:

Breakfast: 3 slices bacon (fat trimmed, cooked on the George Foreman Grill), 2slices wholemeal bread. Protein shake, glass of OJ.

10am: 500ml water

11am: 500ml water

2pm: Chicken Breast, can of tuna, 'mullerlight' yoghurt, diet coke.

5pm: diet coke

8pm: 3 Beef Steaks (Cooked on thy Holy GF Grill), huge salad (cabbage, red lettuce, carrot, tomato, cucumber). Protein shake.

10.30pm (as I write this) Tin of Tuna, 500ml

Hows that? I know its a little low on food, but considering I've not lifted today - plus getting food on the go at work is nigh on impossible - I dont think its too bad?

As always - input appreciated :)

nikolaipapp
08-07-2002, 03:56 PM
It's getting better, but you are way too low on food now. You're not eating frequently enough. I know it's impossible at work, but trust me, if you want it bad enough, you'll find the 5 min it takes to down a can of tuna slushed down with water. Do you have one of those yogurt containers on hand? What are the nutrient breakdowns on it (prot, carb,fat)?

MarshallPenn
08-07-2002, 03:57 PM
Seems extremely low on calories -- you should probably be coming in at 2500+ a day, and seems much too low on fat.

Totality
08-07-2002, 04:00 PM
Like I've said - I'm new to this....I'm not being too intense with the weights (this will change come the end of this month once I join the gym and stop working 6 f'n days a week!). If I'm not working out as much, surely its not so bad if I'm a little low on the food I'm taking in?

That make sense guys?

MarshallPenn
08-07-2002, 04:07 PM
Nope. Doesn't matter. You need the food anyway. Your metabolism is going to crash hard.

Totality
08-07-2002, 04:08 PM
Ah right, cool. Learn something new every day from this website - been reading a hell of a lot more than I've posted, thats for sure! :)

nikolaipapp
08-07-2002, 04:09 PM
What kind of workouts are you doing, T? Do you have some dumbbells or something at your place? If you are not worried about losing muscle then you will get pleasing results from the way you are eating now. Just try to eat as much lean protein as you can, throw in a couple of prot shakes during the day, it takes 1 minute to drink it at work. You should eat some more carbs in favor of so much protein at you lunch, that's too much with the chicken and tuna+yogurt Eat some brown rice with the chicken or tuna (not both), then around 5 P.M. throw down a quick shake. The rest of your diet is perfect.

Totality
08-07-2002, 04:12 PM
Yeah I just got some dumbells and a barbell at my place.

nikolaipapp
08-07-2002, 04:13 PM
Did you find out how many carbs are in that yogurt?

Totality
08-07-2002, 04:15 PM
I aint got any in the fridge - I think it was 21g, and its a 100g pot...

nikolaipapp
08-07-2002, 04:21 PM
You sure love your yogurt, don't you...seriously, though, you're gonna get some great results if you just stay on track with this program, but make sure to double your carb intake and cut your prot in half every 5-7 days to keep your metabolism from sticking. Just be really careful about the fat on those days, too. Once you start getting into the weights hardcore, you're gonna be a freak...

Totality
08-07-2002, 04:24 PM
A freak would be good. I've got a good base - pretty wide shoulders (over 20inch from blade to blade...which isnt bad considering I've not hit the weights yet). Just need to focus on turning my arms from sticks to pythons :)

Oh - and losing this stomach :cry:

nikolaipapp
08-07-2002, 04:29 PM
One thing at a time, Yates. I would not focus on building muscle right now, you're definitely not eating enough for that, it would be more detrimental than progressive. Just stay in the 8-10 rep range and no more than 3 sets for smaller bodyparts and 6 sets for larger bodyparts. Don't worry, in a couple of months when you lose that gut and start eating for mass, those gardner snakes will become boa constrictor's.....:D

Totality
08-07-2002, 04:32 PM
thanks nikolai :D

nikolaipapp
08-07-2002, 04:42 PM
No problem, hope I could help. I had no one to talk to when I first started 7 years ago and I would have loved to have been able to get on a site like this, so enjoy.

Shao-LiN
08-07-2002, 05:08 PM
The diet looks lik you're almost starving yourself on cals...eat more.