PDA

View Full Version : Please CRITIQUE my meal plan for me...

HighlyFanatic
08-05-2002, 07:37 PM
3800 calories (30P:40C:30F)

*Whey Bananna Shake (3 scoops Whey) Breakfast/Post-Workout
*2 PowerBar ProteinPlus Peanut Butter (in between classes)
*Footlong Subway ColdCut Trio Sub (for lunch)
*2 Cans of Tuna (afterschool)
*200g Bison/200g Mashed Potatoes + veggies (for dinner)
*3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil (2 hours before sleeping)

My goals and more info: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17881

LAM
08-05-2002, 07:42 PM
that is not a very good anabolic diet...how is the divided up over the meals ?

ps..Please use Protein/Carbs/Fats - that's the standard as you may confuse others (like myself :D )...

HighlyFanatic
08-05-2002, 08:05 PM
could you elaborate on what u mean by its not a good anabolic diet?

i combined my meals in such a way that i was eating FAT & PROTEIN together or FAT+CARBS together but not FAT+CARBS together.... (excludes the sub)

i split it in such a way that my meals were divided up over the meals like so

Meal 1=Whey Bananna Shake=753 calories
Snack 1=2 PowerBar ProteinPlus Peanut Butter=586 calories
Meal 2 =Footlong Subway ColdCut Trio Sub=992 calories
Snack 2=2 Cans of Tuna=328 calories
Meal 3=200g Bison/200g Mashed Potatoes + veggies=~600 calories
Snack 3=3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil=405 calories

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/masseating_2.htm

"Eat meals containing protein and carbs (with minimal fat)

It's well known in the research world that eating carbs and protein together also creates a synergistic insulin release (much like the fat and carb meals above)........... read the rest there

LAM
08-05-2002, 08:24 PM
Firstly, Insulin is a storage hormone. When a decent portion of low GI complex carbs is consumed insulin is released at a low level. For the length that low GI complex carbs are digesting insulin is being released, as only a certain amount of glucose can be present in the bloodstream. When insulin is released it opens up receptor sites on muscle tissue, which will accept the amino acids from proteins also digested in the meal. That is why a bulking diet must consist of large amounts of low GI complex carbs and why low GI carbs and proteins must be consumed every 3-4 hours. When insulin is no longer present anabolism stops until the next meal.

HighlyFanatic
08-05-2002, 08:30 PM
cool, so basically replace the high GI carbs with low GI carbs.

got some suggestions then as to what should be replaced?

potatoes are considered high GI right?

HighlyFanatic
08-05-2002, 08:32 PM
also this is what i found
http://www.ivillage.com/food/experts/hltheat/articles/0,11731,165857_16531,00.html

High GI does NOT equal elevated levels of insulin
Although it certainly sounds plausible that foods with a high GI that raise blood sugar levels more quickly than other foods would therefore cause a jump in insulin production, it just isn't born out in science. The number one factor that determines insulin output is total calories consumed, not GI of foods. It doesn't even matter if the calories in the meal come from carbohydrate, protein or fat: the fact is, excessive calories cause high insulin levels and the following fat storage.

GRRR THE CONFUSION!!!!!!!!

LAM
08-05-2002, 08:52 PM
The author of that article Lynn Grieger doesn't know jack about nutrition for bodybuilders...the total calories is a factor but not the deciding factor, the overall glycemic response of the meal determines the amount of insulin that will be secreted...the nutritional demand of a serious weight trainer is not the same as the "average" person nor is the bodies response to the presence of these nutrients once they are present in the bloodstream.

FYI..Take articles and advice written by "dieticians" lightly many rules do not apply to person who engage in strenous resistance training...one of many benefits !

HighlyFanatic
08-05-2002, 09:17 PM
so in that meal plan....what would you substitute or change? :confused:

LAM
08-05-2002, 09:33 PM
3800 calories (30P:40C:30F)

3800 x 30% = 1140 cals from protein / 5 meals a day = 57 grams of protein
3800 x 40% = 1520 cals from carbs / 5 meals a day = 76 grams
3800 x 30% = 1140 cals from fats / 5 meals a day = 25 grams

that should be the break down of each meal or you can change it to 6 meals