PDA

View Full Version : Avatar's NHE experience

08-06-2002, 11:14 AM
Alright, this is my second journal of the summer. I was on my way to a successful 8 week cut but spending some time on vacation can certainly get to you. Not to mention I had to take the week off from the gym cause of a badly kinked neck. So I had a few factors going against me and I slipped up.

I figure I'm back over 12-14% bf again as I was when I started the last diet phase, therefore I'm going to bring Rob Faigin's - Natural Hormonal Enhancement diet back into play. This diet got me down to 9% pretty easily back at the start of the year. The only problem I had previously with it was I lost some significant strength and muscle along the way. I believe that was in part of lower carb intake than he recommends in his book.

I don't know how low I will get on this diet as I only plan on having it run for 4-6 weeks. I guess my target will be just under 5 weeks (32 days on it), with today being Day #1. If successful, that will bring me to Sept. 7th. I'll be happy if I can get to <10% bf for when college starts in the fall, with the first day being Sept. 3rd. Depending on how I look and feel Sept. 7th I'll either continue on the diet for a few more weeks, or start a slow gain diet. God knows I'll need one by then.

For those of you who are considering a keto or keto/type diet in the future, you'll be able to read about my day to day experiences with this one as I journey through it for the next month or so.

I'll also try to explain briefly why I implement certain dietary changes as I go along with the diet for those of you unfamiliar with the book and diet plan.

I should also mention I'll still be weight training with the WBB #2 routine. I'm about 4 weeks into it and its going well, so I'll continue on it for another 5 weeks or till the end of this diet phase.

Tonight, before bed, I'll post my Day 1 experience.

MarshallPenn
08-06-2002, 11:18 AM
Can you give me some further feedback about why you think that you lost so much strength and LM? If you are ketoing, you are taking in close to no carbs and still should be retaining LM well, no?

iLUDEd
08-06-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Avatar
For those of you who are considering a keto or keto/type diet in the future, you'll be able to read about my day to day experiences with this one as I journey through it for the next month or so.

:nod: that would be i, summer's coming up in australia in 3 months, ive got a 40/40/20 diet lowering 100 cal per week planned for the next 2 months, and depending on how sucessfull or unsucessfull that goes, im either going to start bulking or go on a keto type diet..

i'll be looking forward to reading thru your journal so ill know what to and what not to follow if i have a go at keto.. good luck dude! :thumbup:

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-06-2002, 11:47 AM
NHE = not keto.

I'm lmao at austrailia's summer being over winter (over here).

08-06-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by MarshallPenn
Can you give me some further feedback about why you think that you lost so much strength and LM? If you are ketoing, you are taking in close to no carbs and still should be retaining LM well, no?

As CD pointed out, NHE diet is not a ketosis diet but is close to one. A lot of my strength was probably lost due to low glycogen stores and that should be expected on any low-carb diet. However, as I previously stated, the last time I followed NHE, I was actually taking in even lower carbs each day than recommended. I'm going to give it another go now and you'll be able to read if I get the same result or a different one.

08-06-2002, 09:52 PM
Day 1 of 32
Tuesday, August 6th

Diet:
Well day one of the new NHE diet is now complete. For those of you unfamiliar with the diet, I have to begin by going through a 7-day metabolic shift period where I keep active carbs (carbs - fiber) to <20g / day. Protein stays at 15-50g / meal and there is no limit on fat intake. This phase changes my body from a sugar burner to a fat burner. Faigin claims counting calories is unnecessary, but I feel safer doing it. So here iswhat I ate and the total for the day:

Meal 1: 9:45: 3 Whole Eggs (275,1.8,17,21)
6 tbsp Egg Whites (47,0.8,10,0)
5g Psyllium Husk Powder (4g Fiber)

Calories = 322
Carbs = 2.6g
Protein = 27g
Fat = 21g

Workout: 11:40-12:30

Meal 2(post-w/o): 12:45: 3 scp Optimum Whey (165,4,33,2)
3 tsp Flax Oil (132,0,0,14)

Calories = 297
Carbs = 4g
Protein = 33g
Fat = 16

Meal 3: 3:45: 100g Tuna (116,0,27,1)
30g Peanut Butter (192,5.3,8,15)

Calories = 308
Carbs = 5.3g
Protein = 35g
Fat = 16g

Meal 4: 6:15: 4oz Chicken (215,0,38,5)
1 slice Cheddar Cheese (79,1,5,6)
50g Broccoli (14,1.1,1,0) (1.5g Fiber)

Calories = 308
Carbs = 2.1g
Protein = 43g
Fat = 11g

Meal 5: 9:00: 2 Whole Eggs (183,1.2,12,14)
12 tbsp Egg Whites (94,1.6,20,0)

Calories = 277
Carbs = 2.8g
Protein = 32g
Fat = 14g

Meal 6: 11:45: 100g Turkey (135,0,30,1)
2 tsp Udo's Oil (135,0,0,15)

Calories = 270
Carbs = 0g
Protein = 30g
Fat = 16g

Daily Total:
Calories = 1802
Carbs = 17.2g = 04%
Protein = 200g = 44%
Fat = 94g = 47%
Fiber = 17.5g

-----------------------------

Training:
I just did the basic Chest/Back workout of the WBB routine #2 today. I had an amazing amount of renewed strength and energy as I ate a ton all weekend and gained a whopping 10lbs on the scale in the last 5 days. :eek: Tomorrow I hit legs.

Goin_Big
08-06-2002, 10:01 PM
Damn man, calories low enough?

MonStar
08-06-2002, 10:52 PM

I personally wouldnt recommend counting calories to be honest. NHE totally goes against the idea of counting calories. I ripped up pretty well on NHE and didnt count calories at all - really wasnt necessary.

MarshallPenn
08-06-2002, 10:58 PM
Right, NHE is not keto, but lower carbs even more and you hit Ketosis, so I don't get the low carb = muscle loss. As long as you are carbing up and/or having pre/post workout carbs, you should be fine. Right?

Franco
08-07-2002, 03:35 AM
You don't consume carbs post workout on NHE. It's usually whey+flax/olive oil or whipping cream

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-07-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by MonStar

I personally wouldnt recommend counting calories to be honest. NHE totally goes against the idea of counting calories. I ripped up pretty well on NHE and didnt count calories at all - really wasnt necessary.

The difference here is that Andrew is aiming for sub 10% bf whereas you were going from 18% (or so) region downwards, correct?

I reckon he should count cals if he doesn;t want to hit a rut quick.

08-07-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Goin_Big
Damn man, calories low enough?

For ~170lbs, 1800 calories isn't terribly low I don't think. What most don't understand is on the NHE diet you stop craving food for the most part. With the absense of carbs in the system, there is no desire to eat tons of meats and oils. If I find during this metabolic shift that my energy levels start lagging too much, I may bump it up to 1900, but I don't see any need to at this point.

Originally posted by Monstar

Rob's right on the money. Faigin is correct in that calories are not as important on this diet, but for me to get to my desired goal of <10% in 4-6 weeks I can't be consuming 2500-3000 calories by accident on some days. It just won't happen. If you gave me the chance I'd be pounding back 12oz. steaks everyday, but that simply would not be optimal. By counting calories, I'm staying in control of my diet and my body.

08-07-2002, 09:39 PM
Day 2 of 32
Wednesday, August 7th

Diet:
My eating plan was identical to yesterday's other than having tuna before bed tonight instead of turkey. Something worth noting is I'm actually consuming more dietary fiber daily than active carbs. All this fiber certainly subdues any cravings and while eating only 1800 cal / day right now, I'm feeling consistently full and satisfied throughout the day. Psyllium Husk Powder is the best supplement I think one can add to a low carb cutting diet (yes, even better than ECA).

Meal 1: 10:10: 3 Whole Eggs (275,1.8,17,21)

Calories = 322
Carbs = 2.6g
Protein = 27g
Fat = 21g

Workout: 11:50-12:40

Meal 2(post-w/o): 1:00: 3 scp Optimum Whey (165,4,33,2)

Calories = 297
Carbs = 4g
Protein = 33g
Fat = 16

Meal 3: 3:30: 100g Tuna (116,0,27,1)

Calories = 308
Carbs = 5.3g
Protein = 35g
Fat = 16g

75g Broccoli (21,1.9,2,0) (2g Fiber)

Calories = 315
Carbs = 2.9g
Protein = 44g
Fat = 11g

Calories = 277
Carbs = 2.8g
Protein = 32g
Fat = 14g

Meal 6: 11:45: 100g Tuna (116,0,27,1)
3 tbsp Egg Whites (23,0.4,5,0)

Calories = 274
Carbs = 0.4g
Protein = 32g
Fat = 16g

Daily Total:
Calories = 1813
Carbs = 18.4g = 04%
Protein = 203g = 44%
Fat = 94g = 47%
Fiber = 22g

------------------------------

Training:
I worked legs today and it was the best leg annihilation I've had in a long time. I warmed up with 4 min of light stationary biking, and then went on to 20 rep squats (after a few warm up sets). I immediately felt my quads more during the squats than normal, which was probably due to the prior biking. My strength levels were still up as well.

The best thing of all is I was 5lbs lighter on the scale from yesterday. Probably a combination of water and glycogen lost, as I make my way further into the metabolic shift.

Tomorrow I work 9am-6pm so I'll be taking the day off from the gym and just sticking with 1800 calories again.

08-08-2002, 08:32 PM
Day 3 of 32
Thursday, August 8th

Training:
I had to work 9am-6pm today and my quads were aching in a good way from the hammering I gave them yesterday. I decided to take the day off from the gym.

Diet:
I'm dead tired right now so i'm going to have my 6th meal about 45 min earlier than normal, but other than that diet was perfect again today. The final total was:

Calories = 1807
Carbs = 19.5g = 04%
Protein = 210g = 46%
Fat = 94g = 47%
Fiber = 22g

Tomorrow I'll be back in the gym working Shoulders, Tri's, Bi's, Abs.

MarshallPenn
08-08-2002, 08:34 PM
As for counting calories, I reckon it's as important on this diet as it is on any.

08-09-2002, 09:39 PM
Day 4 of 32
Friday, August 9th

Today was a good good day. I got a hottie's # who I work with :hump:. We'll probably be going out next weekend. If we go out for supper I'll have to make sure I stick to protein+fat meals like steak and salad or else I'll just plan the date on a carbload day. We'll see when the time nears.

Diet:

Good diet again today. Nothing unusual. The final tally was:
Calories = 1791
Carbs = 18.2g = 04%
Protein = 205g = 44%
Fat = 94g = 47%
Fiber = 21.5g

I picked up some whipped cream at the store and was going to use in for post-workout until I realized it wasn't whipping cream. I'll have to go back to the store tomorrow morning before my cardio. For those wondering why I want whipping cream, Faigin recommends using it in a post-workout shake to liven up the taste even more. 1 tbsp = 50 calories, 5g fat and only .5g carbs. So tomorrow's post-cardio meal will probably be 3 scoops of whey, 1 tbsp Flax, and 1 tbsp Whipping Cream mixed into the shake.

Training

Today I worked Shoulders, Tri's, Bi's, Abs, and oddly enough I still had very good strength. In the mirror this morning I could tell my glycogen stores are at a low now, seeing as I'm into day 4 now of >20g/day. 3 days left and I can up the carbs to <30-60g for a few days, and then on day 10 hit up my first carbload day. More info on that to come.

I'm off to bed now.

08-10-2002, 09:40 PM
Day 5 of 32
Saturday, August 10th

Training:
I had my first day of cardio while on NHE. I wasn't positive on what to take pre-cardio so I just decided to eat 6 egg whites, and 2 whole eggs when I woke, and about 90 min later took in 5g of Glutamine, my EC, then headed to the gym.
I did a 30 min fast paced walk on the treadmill. My knees were feeling weird today. Not sore but very tingly and my quads were scratchy. After completing the session I looked down and my quads and knee area were all red yet my shins and ankles were normal colour. I was going to ice my knees when I got home but forgot and went outside tanning instead.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to go to the track and run some windsprints for cardio. I'll have to make sure I ice them afterwards this time. Stretching hasn't been lacking though. Beend doing 3-5 min before and after my cardio sessions.

Diet:
Diet was good. I found my whipping cream. It was right beside the whipped cream in the store and I somehow missed it yesterday. Dumb me.
For post-cardio I had 2 tsp Flax oil, and then mixed up 3 scp chocolate whey and 1 tbsp whipping cream into a delicious shake.
Had steak for the first time on this diet too. That was mmm mmm good. The macros looked like this today:

Calories = 1801
Carbs = 16.6g = 04%
Protein = 201g = 45%
Fat = 95.5g = 47%
Fiber = 21.5g

As I already mentioned tomorrow I'll probably do some wind-sprints and jogging at the track. In the afternoon I'm heading to a batting cage with a former Atlanta Braves scout for a few hours and gonna start polishing up my batting skills to get me ready for the winter try-outs.

08-11-2002, 09:18 PM
Day 6 of 32
Sunday, August 11th

Diet:
Diet was pretty much the same as yesterdays:
Calories = 1803
Carbs = 17.7g = 04%
Protein = 195g = 43%
Fat = 98g = 49%
Fiber = 21.5g

Only 1 more day of >20g carbs and I'm through the metabolic shift week. I've decided to do my first carbload tuesday night. It will probably be 1 big meal before bed with 150g carbs and around 20g protein, 10g fat. More info on that tuesday.

Training:
Went out to the track like planned. Stretched for 5 min, did a lap around the track, followed by 8 - 100m windsprints at 60-80% 1RM. After this I did another lap cool down and stretched for another 5 min. Knees felt good and overall it was a good cardio session. Even got some sun as it was blistering out today. In the afternoon I had batting practice with the former scout. My form was still solid after being off it for a long while. He said with a lil practice I'll be right back into the groove and will be ready for next season. He also said my chances of getting a scholorship and playing in the states were very good. Just gotta work hard over the winter with camps and weight training.

Tomorrow morning I have a physiotherapy appt. @ 8am. I'm having my arm looked at and my knees, and am gonna get advice on how to keep them healthy for ball. When I get home I'll do my Chest/Back workout.

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-12-2002, 12:04 PM
I don;t think 150g is enough.

I'm debating whether my 300g is enough!

08-12-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
I don;t think 150g is enough.

I'm debating whether my 300g is enough!

ya I was thinking of making it 200g but the extra grams will knock up all my macros and in essence my overall calories. Faigin surprinsingly only recommends a minimum of 60g carbs (with no max). However, I do know from experience that anything under 100g is rediculously low.
I may try out the 150g this time, and if I feel I need more, bump it up to 200g for friday's load.

TMan
08-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Hey Avatar, I'm enjoying reading your journal! I've ordered the NHE book and should be getting it in a couple of days. I started the metabolic shift today. Kinda tough to do w/o the book, though. Other than less than 20 grams of carbs a day, are there any other rules for the metabolic shift?

Keep it up, I'll be watching! ;)

08-12-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by TMan
Hey Avatar, I'm enjoying reading your journal! I've ordered the NHE book and should be getting it in a couple of days. I started the metabolic shift today. Kinda tough to do w/o the book, though. Other than less than 20 grams of carbs a day, are there any other rules for the metabolic shift?

Keep it up, I'll be watching! ;)

keeping active carbs to under 20g / day is the most important thing. Incase you didn't know, active carbs are total carbs - dietary fibre.

All the meals should be protein + fats. You can see a pretty good guideline from a few of my above eating plans.

After the metabolic shift Faigin recommends the next two days being 30-60g carbs. I'm going to skip those two days and do the carbload on day 8 (tomorrow).

Glad your enjoying my journal! :thumbup:
If you have any questions, let me know.

08-12-2002, 09:07 PM
Day 7 of 32
Monday, August 12th

Diet:

Yipee! The final day of the metabolic shift is just ending. I was finding myself a bit more tired than normal the last few days. My energy levels haven't been too bad though and it was fairly easy getting through the week. Didn't think much about it at all. Just went about my business.

Today looked pretty much like every other day this week except I added a pack of tuna in there cause I was up so early I wanted to keep my meals within 3 hours a part. The grand total was:
Calories = 1882
Carbs = 17.5g = 04%
Protein = 223g = 47%
Fat = 95g = 45%
Fiber = 21.5g

Training:
Worked Chest/Back today and this is the first day my strength was lagging a bit, but not too bad. A lil decrease in strength is certainly expected in the last few days of the shift with glycogen stores so low. Also it could have had something to do with my physio appt. where they did some tests on my arms and I had to do some exercises there which tired them out good at the time.
Everything at the appt. went great tho. I was told my throwing arm is much stronger than it used to be and my old injury is all gone. I have the green light to get preping over the fall for next season.

I also met one of the top kinesiologists in the area and I'm going to hire her in a few months to develop a perdiodization routine for me with plyometrics and other things that will give me some added size, strength, endurance, and flexibility for next season.

Tomorrow is cardio day. I'll probably hop on the x-trainer for some HIIT.

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-13-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Avatar

ya I was thinking of making it 200g but the extra grams will knock up all my macros and in essence my overall calories. Faigin surprinsingly only recommends a minimum of 60g carbs (with no max). However, I do know from experience that anything under 100g is rediculously low.
I may try out the 150g this time, and if I feel I need more, bump it up to 200g for friday's load.

Don't worry too much about the cals from the carbs. Most of them will be stored as muscle glycogen, or lost via thermogenesis. I don't think you'll put on ANY fat during this time. Even if you binged.

Blood&Iron
08-13-2002, 12:42 PM

Don't worry too much about the cals from the carbs. Most of them will be stored as muscle glycogen, or lost via thermogenesis. I don't think you'll put on ANY fat during this time. Even if you binged.
Well, if by binging you mean eating whatever you want, you could easily end up putting on fat since your insulin levels will be high, and fat will be easily stored. This is the reason for keeping fat very low during refeeds. If, however, you keep things low-fat, you can go up to about 24 hours of very high carbs before you need to even worry about fat gain. Prior to that, your body will compensate by upregulating glucose oxidation very significantly as well as replenishing glycogen stores.

08-13-2002, 01:32 PM
ya I decided on 200g tonight. I can probably easily take in more but I don't wanna turn this diet into a CKD or I might as well just go on one.

my plan is 100g in 2 meals split 2 hours apart.

First meal will be:
110g dry Whole-wheat Pasta (413,76.5,14,3) (6.5g Fiber)
1 Ice cream Sandwich (152,23,3,5)
200mg ALA

Calories = 565
Carbs = 99g
Protein = 17g
Fat = 8g

Second meal:
90g Dry Oats (418,65,16,8) (9g Fiber)
1 scp Simply Whey (58,2,10,1)
1 Ice cream Sandwich (152,23,3,5)
200mg ALA

Calories = 628
Carbs = 90g
Protein = 29g
Fat = 14g

The icecream sandwichs are obviously not ideal but with the low fat they don't cause a problem. I've used them in the past and they provide a nice taste.

Thoughts on my carb-load?

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-13-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Blood&amp;Iron

Well, if by binging you mean eating whatever you want, you could easily end up putting on fat since your insulin levels will be high, and fat will be easily stored. This is the reason for keeping fat very low during refeeds. If, however, you keep things low-fat, you can go up to about 24 hours of very high carbs before you need to even worry about fat gain. Prior to that, your body will compensate by upregulating glucose oxidation very significantly as well as replenishing glycogen stores.

No, i meant binging on carbs.

Apparently there's a study where a guy depleted for 5 days, then ate 900g carbs in one day and didn;t activate any lipogenesis. It wasn;t until day two when he ate a further 700g carbs where there was some lipogenesis.

I read that just recently on an old thread on MFW. By Lyle.

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-13-2002, 02:11 PM
Sorry, i got those figures mixed up, here's the actual post by Lyle:

"In one study, Acheson gave folks 500 g of carbs at once. Lipogenesis
from carb conversion was nil. In another study, he glycogen depleted
for 5 days and refed massive amounts of carbs. 700 g over the first 24
hours led to zero lipogenesis. Just glycogen storage and carb burning.
It wasn't until the second 24 hours (and 900 g more carbs) that DNL/fat
storage started to become relevant. So it's a lot."

Blood&Iron
08-13-2002, 02:21 PM
Sorry, i got those figures mixed up, here's the actual post by Lyle:

'member when you were giving me crap about my refeeds...:p

08-13-2002, 04:46 PM
thats interesting to know Robboe.
However, if I'm to eat hordes of carbs every 3rd and 4th day, wouldn't the days following not burn as much fat because of the pumped up glycogen stores getting in the way? I'd think so..

I'll certainly be eating hordes if I decide to follow the bodybuilders version of NHE next month.

08-13-2002, 09:51 PM
Day 8 of 32
Tuesday, August 13

Diet:
I'm just finishing up an icecream sandwich as I type this up. No I haven't cheated. The icecream sandwich is part of my carbload!

Ok here was the diet today. The last 2 meals are the obvious loads:

Meal 1: 11:40: 1 Whole Eggs (92,0.6,6,7)
5g Glutamine (20,0,5,0)

Calories = 206
Carbs = 2.2g
Protein = 31g
Fat = 7g

Workout: 12:40-1:00

Meal 2(post-cardio): 1:30: 3 scp Optimum Whey (165,4,33,2)

Calories = 297
Carbs = 4g
Protein = 33g
Fat = 16

Meal 3: 3:40: 100g Tuna (116,0,27,1)

Calories = 308
Carbs = 5.3g
Protein = 35g
Fat = 16g

Meal 4: 6:30: 4oz Chicken (215,0,38,5)

Calories = 308
Carbs = 2.1g
Protein = 43g
Fat = 11g

Meal 5: 9:00: 110g dry Whole-wheat Pasta (413,76.5,14,3) (6.5g Fiber)
1 Ice cream Sandwich (165,28,3,7.5)
200mg ALA

Calories = 578
Carbs = 104.5g
Protein = 17g
Fat = 10.5g

Meal 6: 11:15: 110g Dry Oats (418,65,16,8) (9g Fiber)
200mg ALA

Calories = 641
Carbs = 95g
Protein = 29g
Fat = 16.5g

The final days total was:
Calories = 2338
Carbs = 213g = 36%
Protein = 188g = 32%
Fat = 77g = 30%
Fiber = 25g

So as you guys can see I ended up going with 2 meals @ approx. 100g active carbs each. I could of course eatten a ton more but I was satisfied with this for the first one. I also took double my vits (multi,c,e,gluco) and tossed them in with my load.

This morning I went to the supp store to pick up some L-Tyrosine. Was just gonna take a few grams of that along with my EC prior to cardio but to my disappoint I found out Tyrosine has been banned in Canada for 3 years. To read up more on that B.S. refer here: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=18352

I did however pick up some ALA while I was in there to help assist with the carbload tonight and after talking with some peeps I decided on 200mg, 15min prior to each meal.

And CD will now be very proud of me as I have lost my ALA virginity tonight. :cool: Robboe the only thing I ended up wearing was a bib for the big occasion! (inside joke). :D

Faigin recommends that on the down cycle (non-carbload days) carbs are kept to 30-60g. However, after some thought I've decided to keep mine under 20g. Actually 20g / day other than the 2 carbload days and the third day prior to my middle workout each week, which I'll eat 50g. That paragraph may have sounded terribly confusing. I'll explain it in more detail soon.

So for tomorrow, and thursday its back down to <20g carbs and then I have scheduled my next load for Friday night. I picked Friday because I may be out anyways on a date and if I am it won't hurt if I eat a bit of carbs. But its not set in stone yet.

Training:
Training was a simple 20min of HIIT on the x-trainer. But it was far from simple. I worked my ass off. That went great. Tomorrow I take advantage of tonight's carbloads and I go in for a leg blasting.

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-14-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Blood&amp;Iron

'member when you were giving me crap about my refeeds...:p

haha.

1. I was giving you crap about the frequency of such long refeeds (i still think they're somewhat overrated to some degree, but also quite useful if used a little mroe sparingly).

2. Monstar was pissing me off with his outrageous "refeeds"...er, scrap that: "Binges" that he referred to as "refeeds".

I had an NHE carb up last night and i feel so much better for it today. It was about 350-400g over about 3 hours.

Andrew, firstly i'm lmao at that ALA virgin reference.

Secondly, can you not get Tyrosine shipped in?

Is phenylalanine legal over there or not? Cause that's a tyrosine precursor and so may also do the trick.

Are you planning on doing Lyle's stubborn fat program?

(If so, you gotta not take the E with the caf and Tyrosine).

08-14-2002, 04:44 PM
Secondly, can you not get Tyrosine shipped in?

**yes if it doesn't get stopped at customs. I'm only cutting for 4 weeks more so I don't know if its worth ordering.

Is phenylalanine legal over there or not? Cause that's a tyrosine precursor and so may also do the trick.

**never heard of it so not sure. I can check.

Are you planning on doing Lyle's stubborn fat program?

(If so, you gotta not take the E with the caf and Tyrosine).

**Whats his stubborn fat program? Can you post a URL?

08-14-2002, 09:35 PM
Day 9 of 32
Wednesday, August 14th

Woke up this morning and felt like I had a mild hang-over. Was a lil dizzy when first getting up and had a small headache for only a few min until splashing some water on my face. This must have been a result of lsat night's carbload. I also had an amazing deep sleep, which I'm guessing was from the extra serotonin release last night. It was all good though.

Training:
90 min after having a bunch of eggs for breakfast I went to the gym and worked legs. Quad and ham strength were up slightly while calf strength was down a few reps. Overall though I could definately feel the added glycogen in my system. I know now that I could have eaten even more carbs last night, but I must remember my ultimate goal here - fat loss. So the next load will probably stay at 200g, but we'll wait and see till then.

Diet:
Another typical <20g carbday. Identical to a few of last week's days.
Calories = 1791
Carbs = 18.2g = 04%
Protein = 205g = 44%
Fat = 94g = 47%
Fiber = 21.5g

Tomorrow I work 9-6 so I'll take the day off from the gym. Friday I decided I'll do my shoulder/arms/abs workout. Since I won't have a carbload to assist this coming friday's workout, I'll eat 50g total throughout the day which keeps me well within Faigin's recommendation of 30-60g / day and <25g / meal.

TMan
08-14-2002, 09:55 PM
I just got the NHE book today. I've read the first 4 chapters and I'm already hooked! So far, this is a great read and Faigan writes pretty well.

By keeping your carbs under 20 on downcycle days isn't this more like a twice-a-week CKD diet than a NHE diet?

08-15-2002, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by TMan
I just got the NHE book today. I've read the first 4 chapters and I'm already hooked! So far, this is a great read and Faigan writes pretty well.

By keeping your carbs under 20 on downcycle days isn't this more like a twice-a-week CKD diet than a NHE diet?

no. For two reasons. First, most people never reach ketosis on NHE because protein is kept too high and fat is kept a lil too low if you follow the text to the T.

Secondly, after the downcycle is over all non-workout days are to kept to 30-60g carbs (<25g/meal). This keep you out of ketosis again.

The way I have set my diet up is each week I'll have two - 200g+ carbload days, four - <20g days, and one - 50g day.

You may ask why the one 50g day. Well, I'm on a 3 day weight training split right now, and two of my carbloads will fuel two of the three days, and for the third one, I'll eat 50g the prior day just to add a tiny bit of glycogen into my system. All meals will stay under 20g of carbs that day so I'll still be primed to burn fat.

Hope that helps. And btw- keep reading cause the book only gets better. :)

08-15-2002, 09:02 PM
Day 10 of 32
Thursday, August 15th

Training:
Took a day off from the gym as I had to work all day today.

Diet:
Ok as I mentioned yesterday, I'd be eating 50g of active carbs today. The reason for this is to provide my body with a lil bit of carbs for tomorrow's workout, without needing a carbload.
Today's meals looked like this:

Meal 1: 8:30: 3 Whole Eggs (275,1.8,17,21)

Calories = 322
Carbs = 2.6g
Protein = 27g
Fat = 21g

Meal 2: 12:30: 100g Tuna (116,0,27,1)

Calories = 308
Carbs = 5.3g
Protein = 35g
Fat = 16g

Meal 3: 3:30: 1 pack Tuna (101,0,22,2)
100g Apple (59,15.2,0,0) (2.5g fiber)
20g Almonds (116,3.5,4,10)

Calories = 276
Carbs = 18.7g
Protein = 26g
Fat = 12g

Calories = 308
Carbs = 2.1g
Protein = 43g
Fat = 11g

Meal 5: 9:00: 25g Dry Oats (95,16.8,7,2) (2.5g Fiber)
12 Egg Whites (94,1.6,20,0)

Calories = 247
Carbs = 20.4g
Protein = 37g
Fat = 3g

Meal 6: 11:15: 100g Tuna (116,0,27,1)
1 Whole Egg (91,0.6,6,7)

Calories = 342
Carbs = 0.6g
Protein = 33g
Fat = 23g

Daily Total:
Calories = 1803
Carbs = 49.7g = 11%
Protein = 201g = 45%
Fat = 86g = 43%
Fiber = 26.5g

-----------------------------

I managed to stay under the 60g total carb max for the day and under 25g in every meal, so evertyhing was nicely in line with the diet requirements.
As originally planned I wanted to do my carbload days every Sunday and Thursday, but couldn't today because of my carbload on Tuesday. I didn't want to have them two days apart, therefore, I'm gonna schedule my next carbload for this sunday. That'll be 5 days in a downcycle, but I'm already through 2 of them, so no biggie.

08-16-2002, 09:44 PM
Day 11 of 32
Friday, August 16th

Ok disregard my plans from yesterday. I just found out I gotta go into my college for a few hours this coming monday afternoon. And because I work all morning until noon, I wouldn't be able to get in a Chest/Back workout until at least 5pm. Therefore I don't like the idea of carbloading Sunday night.

Here is the new plan. This is the third day since my last carbload (on Tuesday) so I decided to have a carbload day today, and do my Delts/Arm workout tomorrow morning. The reason for this is that I'll have another carbload monday night, and change my Chest/Back workout from Monday to Tuesday instead. This will keep the carbloads every 3 days for this week and will give me 3 workouts straight with some glycogen in the system. I'm sure all this probably sounded confusing so I won't get into it in any further detail. Simply put, lets just say doing it this way keeps my diet and training right onn par with NHE.

Diet:
As mentioned, I made today a carbload day. Today's diet looked pretty much like last Tuesday.

The carbload was:
9:00pm
110g dry Whole-wheat Pasta (413,76.5,14,3) (6.5g Fiber)
200mg ALA

Calories = 578
Carbs = 104.5g
Protein = 17g
Fat = 10.5g

11:15pm
110g Dry Oats (418,65,16,8) (9g Fiber)
200mg ALA

Calories = 641
Carbs = 95g
Protein = 29g
Fat = 16.5g

The entire days's totals were:
Calories = 2432
Carbs = 215g = 35%
Protein = 176g = 29%
Fat = 94.5g = 35%
Fiber = 27.5g

----------------------------

If all goes to plan, the next 2 days will be <20g carb days, and the third day (Monday night) will be the next carbload again.

Training:
Last minute today I changed from going to the gym to work Delts/Arms to making it a HIIT session on the treadmill for 20 minutes. The session went well. I altered between running between 5mph and 10mph for a good 6 - two minute cycles. Good cool down and stretched well before and after.

Tomorrow I'll finally get in my Delts/Arms workout.

Supplements:
I don't normally discuss supplements in a section by themselves as they don't change from a day to day basis. But its worth noting that today I ran out of Xenadrine :( Oh well.. I've been on EC for a while now and I'm gonna see if the NHE diet alone can get me to where I wanna be in 3-4 weeks. However, if I do get my hands on some L-Tyrosine, I'm definately adding it to my arsenal.

While I'm on the subject let me just mention the supplements and vitamins I'm currently taking while on this diet:
-3g Vitamin C
-1000 IU Vitamin E
-1 Multi-Vitamin
-500mg Glucosamine/400mg Chondroitin
-650mg Calcium
-2 Cod Liver caps
-400mg ALA (taken only with carbloads)
-5g Glutamine (pre-cardio) - (*Note: Only taking Glutamine until I run out. If I get some L-Tyrosine soon, I'll replace the Glutamine with 2g Tyrosine pre-cardio.

So my supplement package is almost exclusively vitamins and minerals that are great not only for bodybuilding but overall general health.

MonStar
08-17-2002, 06:42 AM
-3g Vitamin C
-1000 IU Vitamin E
-1 Multi-Vitamin
-500mg Glucosamine/400mg Chondroitin
-650mg Calcium
-2 Cod Liver caps
-400mg ALA (taken only with carbloads)
-5g Glutamine (pre-cardio)

Thats a lot of supplements Avatar! Damn. How do you like NHE so far? Diet worked great for me but then again I didnt track all my calories etc. He recommends strongly AGAINST that in his book.

08-17-2002, 08:40 AM

Thats a lot of supplements Avatar! Damn. How do you like NHE so far? Diet worked great for me but then again I didnt track all my calories etc. He recommends strongly AGAINST that in his book.

I suppose its a lot to some but to me those vitamins and minerals are essential as I will be getting back into baseball heavily. How far I make it depends on how healthy I stay. And the vits/mins will only have a positive impact on my overall performance.

And about calories - The diet is working fabulous. We've already been over that earlier in this thread monstar. I think you said the same thing. The reason Faigin is so strongly against counting calories is because he wanted to create a diet that the average lifter can follow without much problem. He even uses this as the reason why to not count fat grams.

I believe counting calories will always be superior to not counting. The reason for this is I eat the same things day in and day out at a set range which is currently 1800. I learn how my body responds to that amount. When my body stops responding favourably to it, I can easily lower the food. Lets not use the evil term calories, but lower the overall grams of food I digest. This theoritically will force my body to burn more body fat.

However, if I wasn't counting calories but still eating about 1800 calories each day and my body stopped responding favourably to that amount, there is nothing stopping me from eating more the next day which would be against burning the body fat I want.

08-17-2002, 09:17 PM
Day 12 of 32
Saturday, August 17th

Training:
Today I got a Shoulder/Arms/Abs workout in and boy was it difficult. Since starting the diet, this is the first time I really hit an energy wall in the gym. Almost all my lifts were slightly down and some stayed the same. I was surprised seeing as I had the carbload right before bed last night. I may take in more carbs on the next load which is currently scheduled for next Tuesday. We'll have to see when the time comes closer.
Tomorrow I plan on heading to the track for some heart pumping windsprints.

Diet:
I was back under 20g carbs today. Nothing out of the blue happened. Was supposed to go clubbin' tonight with some girl friends but that fell through last minute. May be going tomorrow night, but will stick on my diet while I'm out. Today's total:
Calories = 1851
Carbs = 17.6g = 04%
Protein = 197g = 43%
Fat = 104.5g = 51%
Fiber = 21.5g

MonStar
08-18-2002, 12:42 AM
One final question avatar, why are you only doing NHE for 32 days?

08-18-2002, 07:49 AM
One final question avatar, why are you only doing NHE for 32 days?

As I posted at the beginning of this journal, I chose 32 days for no specific reason other than it brings me to the end of the 1st week of college and just under 5 weeks. At that point I'll assess where I'm at and whether I need a few more weeks of cutting or to start a slow bulk diet. I'm also considering trying out the NHE bodybuilder's version.

And monstar, no need to limit your questions if its regarding me or the diet. :)

08-18-2002, 08:50 PM
Day 13 of 32
Sunday, August 18th

Diet:
Another <20g carb day. Everything was on schedule. I'm looking and feeling leaner but starting to look like I'm losing a bit of muscle mass. It could just be my muscles flattening out even more but I don't think so. I just have a very thin layer of fat on my lower abs. Because its heavily genetics whenever I've gotten to this point in the past, I started to lose more muscle mass to get the fat off. I'm going to keep a close eye on the mirror the next few days. Even if I do start losing some mass, I may keep up with the diet till the 32 days just to get ripped for school. But it wouldn't surprise me if I was already ~10%, cause everywhere else is looking very lean.
Well anyways, today's total was:
Calories = 1826
Carbs = 17.7g = 04%
Protein = 194g = 43%
Fat = 100.5g = 49%
Fiber = 21.5g

Tomorrow will be a 50g day as I intend to hit the weights in the late afternoon.

Training:
Went to the track and did 8 - 100m windsprints after a lap around the track to warm up. I stretched well and cooled down properly.
Tomorrow when I get back from my college I'm going to try and get in a chest/back workout at around 4:45pm.

08-19-2002, 09:04 PM
Day 14 of 32
Monday, August 19

Diet:
I lowered calories to 1750 and set carbs @ 50g today because it was a workout day and I didn't have the benefit of a carbload going into the session. My only two carb sources today was 100g of Apple and 25g Dry oats at another meal, so all meals stayed below the 20g carb mark.
At the end of the day it looked like:
Calories = 1750
Carbs = 49.8g = 11%
Protein = 195g = 46%
Fat = 85.5g = 43%
Fiber = 26.5g

Tomorrow evening is my scheduled carbload and I may go out and grab a 12" Roasted Chicken Sub for one of the 2 meals. One of those subs contain 634 calories, 92g carbs, 44g protein, and only 10.5 fat. So with the high carbs, and low fat, it shouldn't be a problem at all. I haven't had bread in ages. Will be a nice change from pasta.

Training:
I worked Chest/Back today and had an excellent session. Much more strength and energy in today's workout than on Saturdays. I'm sure I can attribute a portion of the extra energy from the oats and apple before the workout.

Tomorrow is cardio day. I may just do a 30 minute fast-paced walk on the treadmill for a change in pace from HIIT. I'll decided tomorrow though.

08-20-2002, 09:56 PM
Day 15 of 32
Tuesday, August 20th

Training:
Did 20 minutes of HIIT on the x-trainer.

Diet:
Today I had my scheduled carb-load and boy was it ever good and tasty. I had one carbload meal out and it consisted of
a 12" Roasted Chicken Sub from Subway and I tried for the first time a Fruit'n Yogurt Parfait from McDonalds. These things were amazing and contained 31g carbs (mostly low fat yogurt), and only 2.5g fat! Along with all that I made sure to take my 200mg ALA. My first large meal totalled:
Calories = 790
Carbs = 123g
Protein = 48g
Fat = 13g

The second meal was the following:
120g Dry Oats (456,68,17,8) (12g Fiber)
200mg ALA

By the end of the day I tallied up:
Calories = 2473
Carbs = 235g = 35%
Protein = 205g = 36%
Fat = 79g = 29%
Fiber = 24g

A pretty good load. 30g higher than last one. It wasn't really planned but I just felt like trying something new while I was out and on this diet it won't affect me at all.
We'll see how the extra carbs work out in tomorrow's leg session.

08-21-2002, 09:16 PM
Day 16 of 32
Wednesday, August 21st

Training:
Worked legs today. Pretty good session. I could feel the energy from the previous night's carbload.

Diet:
Today I had the worst cravings yet. I was craving any bad food in general. It was odd because I felt full and bloated most the day. I did manage to get through the day though. I'm thinking these cravings were strongly hormonal and could have had something to do with last night's carbload. I hope I can make it these last few weeks. This sunday if I'm still getting these nasty cravings I may treat myself to some pizza for part of my carbload. The beauty of this diet is having a splurge on something like pizza once in a while during the carbload won't affect the dieter much.

Anyways, from today on I'm setting my downcycle day's calories at 1700. Today ended up like this:
Calories = 1698
Carbs = 14.6g = 04%
Protein = 194g = 46%
Fat = 90g = 48%
Fiber = 21.5g

I realized I've been having such trouble losing this last bit of fat because I've been eating 1800 calories consistently for almost two months now. My metabolism has obviously gotten used to this amount and slowed right down for maintenance. I won't hesitate to get as low as 1600 for these final 2 1/2 weeks if I don't see the fat loss pick up again.

08-22-2002, 09:10 PM
Day 17 of 32
Thursday, August 22nd

I managed to get my hands on a couple bottles of L-Tyrosine today (thanks to Anna!) and picked up some caffeine from the drug store. 30 minutes prior to cardio, on an empty stomach, I plan on taking 5g L-Glutamine, 2g L-Tyrosine, 200mg Caffeine. My next cardio day is Saturday.

Training:
Worked all day so took the day off from the gym.

Diet:
A good all around day for diet. Cravings subsided nicely. Yesterday's cravings must have been hormonal as I suspected.

Today I ate:
Calories = 1699
Carbs = 16.6g = 04%
Protein = 196g = 47%
Fat = 90.5g = 47%
Fiber = 23g

Calories are set at 1700 now and I'm still nice and full after every meal from all this psyllium husk powder. Not to mention hunger cravings are supposed to lower while on NHE. So most of the time I'm either not craving food or bloated from my last meal. That makes things easy.

I'm dead tired. Good night.

08-24-2002, 01:41 AM
Day 18 of 32
Friday, August 23rd

Its 3:30am and I'm just getting home from the club. I was a good boy and didn't drink any alcohol. Couldn't anyways since I was DD. Had a pretty good time but I was so tired tonight. Only reason I stayed out so late was it was my buddies bday and I had to get him wasted. Mission accomplished.

Training:
Today was Shoulders/Arms/Abs. Not too shabby of a workout. My muscles were looking flatter than normal prior to working out but thats expected on a diet of this nature. I still got a nice pump and actually improved on a few lifts.

Diet:
I'm just finishing my last meal of the day. 100g Tuna, 1.5oz salmon, 1tbsp Udo's Oil. This udo's seems to be getting tastier I've noticed. To me its now very nutty tasting. Best oil on the market for sure.
Today I was shooting for 40-50g of carbs as it was a workout day. The totals ended up something like this:
Calories = 1723
Carbs = 40.9g = 09%
Protein = 207g = 48%
Fat = 77g = 40%
Fiber = 24g

Tomorrow I'll be back under 20g.

When I get my lazy butt out of bed tomorrow morning or afternoon I'll head to the gym for some cardio.

08-24-2002, 09:21 PM
Day 19 of 32
Saturday, August 24th

Training:
I employed Lyle's stubborn fat cardio program for the first time and I was impressed with it. I may continue on with it for the last few weeks of this diet. Props to CD for recommending it.

Basically what I did today was after waking up, took 2g of L-Tyrosine, 200mg Caffeine. 30 minutes later I went up to the gym and did 15 minutes high intensity balls-to-the-wall cardio on the Stairmaster. Rested 5 minutes and then did 30 minutes low/medium intensity walk on the treadmill. After finishing I waiting 75 minutes before having my post-cardio shake and oil.

Tomorrow I plan on doing the same again except my first 15 minutes will be running on the treadmill, and the last 30 minutes will be on the x-trainer.

Diet:
Since my time frames were altered and other neat stuff added today, I'll post my entire day's diet.

11:25: 2g L-Tyrosine (8,0,2,0)
200mg Caffeine

Cardio: 12:05-1:00
1:30: Glutamine (20,0,5,0)

Meal 1(post-w/o): 2:00: 3 scp Optimum Whey (165,4,33,2)
6 tbsp Egg Whites (47,0.4,10,0)
1 tbsp (15g) Whipping Cream (52,0.4,0,5.5)
2 tsp Flax Oil (88,0,0,9)

Calories = 352
Carbs = 4.8g
Protein = 43g
Fat = 16.5g

Meal 2: 4:15: 100g Tuna (116,0,27,1)
6 tbsp Egg Whites (47,0.4,10,0)

Calories = 355
Carbs = 5.7g
Protein = 45g
Fat = 16g

Meal 3: 6:45: 3 Whole Eggs (275,1.8,17,21)

Calories = 322
Carbs = 2.6g
Protein = 27g
Fat = 21g

Meal 4: 9:10: 5oz Top-Sirloin Steak (340,0,40,19)

Calories = 354
Carbs = 1.1g
Protein = 41g
Fat = 19g

Meal 5: 11:30: 100g Tuna (116,0,27,1)
1oz Chicken (54,0,10,1.5)

Calories = 305
Carbs = 0g
Protein = 37g
Fat = 17.5g

Daily Total:
Calories = 1716
Carbs = 14.2g = 03%
Protein = 200g = 47%
Fat = 90g = 47%
Fiber = 17.5g

Tomorrow is my scheduled carbload and since it's been 5 days since my last load and will be 4 days until my next, I intend on taking in 250g of active carbs in 3 meals spread 1 hour apart. Yummy. :burger:

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-25-2002, 06:49 AM
Andy, it prolly doesn't make that much difference, but ideally, you take in a small amount of protein about 10 minutes or so after finishing the duration aerobic work, just to give your body some aminos so to hopefully prevent it breaking down any muscle.

Just a thought, but like i said, there prolly won't be that much difference, unless maybe over a longer period of time.

08-25-2002, 02:28 PM
Andy, it prolly doesn't make that much difference, but ideally, you take in a small amount of protein about 10 minutes or so after finishing the duration aerobic work, just to give your body some aminos so to hopefully prevent it breaking down any muscle.

Just a thought, but like i said, there prolly won't be that much difference, unless maybe over a longer period of time.

ya I was thinking the same thing but didn't read anything about protein immediately. I was skeptical so thats why I took in 5g of Glutamine shortly after getting home yesterday.

Today I took that a step further and ate:
-5g of Glutamine (5g protein) 15 min post-cardio
-6tbsp Egg Whites (10g protein) 45 min post-cardio
-normal protein shake and oil 75 min post-cardio

That is probably gonna work better over the long haul. Thanks bro.

08-25-2002, 09:18 PM
Day 20 of 32
Sunday, August 25th

Training:

Performed another long session of Lyle's Stubborn Fat program. It went well again except I had to do the intense portion on the stairmaster again, because all the good treamills were going. The duration portion was done on the x-trainer.

Diet:
Tonight was a 250g carbload as planned. I'm actually just about to start my last meal now and boy am I ever bloated. I helped myself to two more of those Fruit'n Yogurt parfaits tonight. I find these to be the excellent carbload treat. Its like half real fruit (strawberries, blueberries) and half plain yogurt, with sprinked granola on top.

Here is what my carbload consisted of:
9:00: 120g Dry Oats (456,68,17,8) (12g Fiber)
Fruit'n Yogurt Parfait (156,31,4,2.5)
200mg ALA

Calories = 670
Carbs = 101g
Protein = 31g
Fat = 11.5g

10:00: 80g Dry Oats (304,45,11,5.5) (8g Fiber)
Fruit'n Yogurt Parfait (156,31,4,2.5)
100mg ALA

Calories = 518
Carbs = 78g
Protein = 25g
Fat = 9g

11:30: 80g Dry Oats (304,45,11,5.5) (8g Fiber)
100mg ALA

Calories = 527
Carbs = 75g
Protein = 24g
Fat = 14g

My grand total today was:
Calories = 2592
Carbs = 264g = 41%
Protein = 190g = 29%
Fat = 74g = 26%
Fiber = 36g

I did excellent today with the macros. I was shooting for anywhere between 2400-2600 calories, and 250g carbs.

08-26-2002, 09:29 PM
Day 21 of 32
Monday, August 26th

Training:
I had to work this morning and had to go into my college for orientation in the afternoon so I didn't get my Chest/Back workout in until 8pm tonight. Let me tell you the delay of workout certainly didn't affect my energy levels at all thanks to last nights 250g carbload. I had an abundance of renewed strength tonight with 8 out of my 12 worksets being up 1-3 reps or 5lb load.

Diet:
I decided that for the rest of the diet on workout days I'll consume 20-30g because I'm now eating a cup of 2% Cottage Cheese 75-90 min prior to my workout.

Today's totals were:
Calories = 1679
Carbs = 24g = 06%
Protein = 188g = 45%
Fat = 90.5g = 49%
Fiber = 17.5g

I'm still on 1700kcal/day but may bump it down to 1600 at any time. For now I may keep cals at 1700 on weight and cardio days and drop them to 1600 on off days. I take about 1 off day / week, so there is not too much to worry about yet.

MonStar
08-27-2002, 09:17 AM
Today's totals were:
Calories = 1679
Carbs = 24g = 06%
Protein = 188g = 45%
Fat = 90.5g = 49%
Fiber = 17.5g

Wow avatar why such low calories? I cant imagine only taking in this much calories how has your strength been so far on NHE?

Performed another long session of Lyle's Stubborn Fat program.

Refresh my memory what is this all about? :):)

08-27-2002, 11:18 AM

Wow avatar why such low calories? I cant imagine only taking in this much calories how has your strength been so far on NHE?

Ya its getting low but my dieting phase is soon done. I had to get it this low to continue burning fat. My metabolism has gotten slow from prolonged dieting over the months.

I'm not seeing much muscle loss at all really and my strength is maintaining for the most part and last workout I was up in strength in over half the lifts!

Refresh my memory what is this all about? :):)

Here is a quote from Lyle's Keto forum summarizing the program,

"First and foremost, this is one of the places where morning/pre-breakfast cardio is probably crucially important.

An hour or two before cardio, take 200 mg caffeine (vivarin) with 1-3 grams of L-tyrosine (NO ephedrine).

there are two segments to the cardio.
The first segment is for mobilization, to get those stubborn fatty acids out of the fat cell.
The second segment is the oxidation part, to burn them off in the muscle.

For the first segment of the cardio, use a machine that you don't normally use. So if you normally do the treadmill, do the first segment on the stairmaster or bike or something. Just make it different.

First segment:
warmup: 3-5 minutes
go hard: 5-10 minutes. I mean hard, as hard as you can stand for the entire time. This will NOT be fun on lowered blood glucose. I've considered putting intervals here but haven't found the data I need to make up my mind. If you do intervals, go somethign like 5X1' all out wiht 1' break (10' total intervals)

Rest 5', just sit on your butt, drink water, try not to puke.

Go to your normal cardio machine. Do at least 30 minutes at moderate/high moderate intensity (below lactate threshold but decent intensity). I'd say 45' maximum here but I'm still making up my mind and looking at data.

Go home, an hour later, have a small protein meal (25-50 grams or so). No dietary fat.

2-3 hours later, go back to normal diet eating.

Your daily calories shouldn't be any different than they were already, they are just distributed differently, you only have 100-200 after cardio, and then the rest afterwards.

I'd do that maybe 3 days per week to start, lemme know what happens.

Lyle"

08-27-2002, 09:23 PM
Day 22 of 32
Tuesday, August 27th

Woke up today with a damn TIGHT neck again. Same problem as I had a few weeks ago. I think I need to go see a physiotherapist about this cause if its anything like the last one, I'll be off from the gym over a week again. Bad timing too because I was planning on taking next week off and not this one.

Training:
Had to write an exam in the morning, worked all day and evening, and had a stiff as hell neck so took the day off from the gym. Tomorrow is a scheduled leg day but I'll have to wait till I see how my neck is when I wake up tomorrow morning before deciding if I'm going for the workout.

Diet:
As mentioned yesterday, on off days I was gonna try setting the calories @ 1600. So since I took the day off, today I tried it out.
Damn did I ever eat a lot of fish and eggs today. All my protein today was from fish and eggs in fact. Check this eating plan out. It totals 6 whole eggs, 18 egg whites, 2 cans of tuna, 5oz salmon.

Meal 1: 10:30: 2 Whole Eggs (183,1.2,12,14)

Calories = 277
Carbs = 2.8g
Protein = 32g
Fat = 14g

Meal 2: 1:00: 100g Tuna (116,0,27,1)
20g Peanut Butter (128,3.5,5,10)

Calories = 244
Carbs = 3.5g
Protein = 32g
Fat = 11g

Meal 3: 3:45: 2 Whole Eggs (183,1.2,12,14)

Calories = 277
Carbs = 2.8g
Protein = 32g
Fat = 14g

Meal 4: 6:00: 5oz Salmon (258,0,36,11.5)

Calories = 279
Carbs = 1.9g
Protein = 38g
Fat = 11.5g

9 tbsp Egg Whites (70,0.6,15,0)

Calories = 253
Carbs = 1.8g
Protein = 27g
Fat = 14g

Meal 6: 11:45: 100g Tuna (116,0,27,1)

Calories = 274
Carbs = 0.4g
Protein = 32g
Fat = 16g

The final totals were:
Calories = 1604
Carbs = 13.2g = 03%
Protein = 193g = 48%
Fat = 80.5g = 45%
Fiber = 22g

08-29-2002, 04:46 AM
Day 23 of 32
Wednesday, August 28

Diet:
Woke up this morning and was looking the leanest I have all summer. Probably down to ~10% now. I've been dieting strict for over 3 weeks now as you can see and was starting to forget what tasty food was like so I said screw it I deserve a cheat a day. I start school next tuesday, so if I wanna get back down to where I am now then today is a better time than ever.

By the end of the day I must say it wasn't worth it at all. It was odd because at no point did I ever crave hormonally having the cheat day. Being on the NHE diet has taught me me the difference between hormonal and non-hormonal and how powerful of a tool insulin is in the whole process. When I was on a high carb diet, cheating was almost unstoppable for me but now I'm feeling myself change drastically from someone who used to love bad food (although still ate it sparingly due to bodybuilding) to someone who is starting to see it more as fuel.

I did have the usual fun stuff..taco bell at lunch, pizza at supper, a few cinna buns in the evening but other than that and some cottage cheese and a huge post-workout shake, I really couldn't eat that much. My stomach isn't trained for that much food anymore and the soaring insulin did a number on me at the end of the night. I couldn't even update this journal last night before bed cause I was feeling so nautious.

Oh well, I think I learned my lesson. Back on the diet for another 9 or 10 days before I get into my slow bulk phase. Still cannot decide if I wanna try out an NHE altered bulking diet or a more isocaloric carb manipulation diet. I know there are some who wanna see how I do on an NHE. I have a lil time yet to think about it.

Training:
The positive side of the day. I had a pretty good leg session. Quad strength was down but ham and calf strength was up. It was my last leg workout of the WWB2 routine as I plan on taking next week off training. Following the workout I guzzled down a shake with 50g dextrose, 1 banana, 1 myoplex and popped 400mg ALA. After that I went off to taco bell with a buddy. I'll be damned if I didn't get a lil hypertrophy out of yesterday. :cool:

Well its thursday morning at 6:45am now and I'm off to the gym for some cardio. Gonna try lyle's program again with the treadmill this time. My stomach is still bloated. Hope I don't throw up. I'll be reporting back tonight.

08-29-2002, 09:38 PM
Day 24 of 32
Thursday, August 29th

Training:
Was up at 6:30am and did a shorter version of lyle's stubborn fat cardio. Did 15 min all out run, followed by 20 min on the x-trainer. Had to cut it short cause I had to work an hour later. I didn't get a chance to stretch afterwards either and now my right hip is feeling achy tonight. Won't make that mistake again.

Diet:
Diet back in order. Normally tonight would be a carbload but seeing as all day was a carbload I think I'll be skipping this one..hehe. Next load is scheduled for Sunday evening.

Totals today looked like this:
Calories = 1711
Carbs = 18.7g = 04%
Protein = 208g = 49%
Fat = 86g = 45%
Fiber = 18g

I'm too tired to say much more tonight. Have a good night.

08-30-2002, 09:13 PM
Day 25 of 32
Friday, August 30th

Training:
Worked Shoulders/Arms/Abs today. Consistent strength levels with last week's session. Today was my last workout of my cutting phase. Next week I'm taking off from the gym.

Diet:
Solid. Nothing unusual to report. Stats were:
Calories = 1709
Carbs = 27.7g = 06%
Protein = 200g = 47%
Fat = 85g = 45%
Fiber = 24g

Carbs were a lil higher but was planned as I started taking in 1 cup of cottage cheese pre-workout. God I love that stuff. I usually become a cottage cheese addict while bulking.

08-31-2002, 09:59 PM
Day 26 of 32
Saturday, August 31st

The last day of August is just finishing. I made a decision tonight to try out HST on my upcoming mass phase and I believe I'll be going with a more conventional slow gain diet as opposed to the NHE bodybuilding version. The main reason is I have to have my workouts and carbloads pre-planned while on NHE and I just don't think I can cut it with school and work this fall. I'm gonna be pretty damn busy and will get my workouts in when I can. Monday I'll be determining my 15RMs for my HST routine and then will take the next 9-10 days off from the gym as is required for the systematic deconditioning phase. I may re-start a journal for the HST phase or may not..we'll have to see. Well anyways a look back on today.

Training:
Worked in the morning and went shopping in the afternoon. Took the day off cardio. Needed it anyways to make sure that hip cramp was all gone. Gonna do some cardio tomorrow.

Diet:
Calories were set at 1600 because it was an off day. The steak I had tonight was awesome as usual.
Calories = 1602
Carbs = 14.2g = 03%
Protein = 182g = 48%
Fat = 88g = 45%
Fiber = 21.5g

Damn I can't wait to bulk.

09-01-2002, 09:50 PM
Day 27 of 32
Sunday, September 1st

Training:
Woke up at 10am today, took 2g tyrosine, 200mg caffeine and headed to the gym 45 min later and performed just a 30 min brisk incline walk on the treadmill, with a few 1 minute sprints thrown in. Didn't want to do lyle's cardio program today because I have a big day of weights tomorrow. I have to test my 15RMs on all my exercises I'll be using in my upcoming HST phase.

Diet:
Diet was not bad. Today was a carbload so I decided to enjoy it and treated myself to a little pizza. Nothing severe, and seeing as it was within my carbload boundaries its not even considered cheating on the NHE diet.

Today my totals were:
Calories = 3558
Carbs = 358g = 40%
Protein = 262g = 29%
Fat = 115g = 29%
Fiber = 21.5g

A bit high obviously thanks to the pizza but not much worse than a good old day of bulking. Part of the reason I went for the extra cals/carbs is I'll need the extra energy for tomorrow's big workout.
I also plan to take in some simple sugars before and after tomorrow's workout, and then back on low carbs after that.

09-02-2002, 09:04 PM
Day 28 of 32
Monday, September 2nd

Training:
Today I tested my 15RM on all the exercises I'll be using in the upcoming HST phase. Tough tough workout since most my muscles weren't conditioned on going that high on reps. Felt my glycogen running low about mid-way but I made it through. Thursday I plan on testing my 5RM on the same exercises and then I'll take 9-12 days off the gym for a full SD phase (strategic deconditioning). After the 9-12 days complete I'll then switch to a slow bulking diet.

Diet:
Diet today was good. I took in more carbs on purpose early on to get through my workout. My pre-workout meal was 30g dextrose, 30g whey and post-workout was 30g dextrose, 1 banana, and 1 myoplex. The final 4 meals today was normal NHE meals for me.
Todays totals were:
Calories = 1845
Carbs = 113.9g = 25%
Protein = 189g = 41%
Fat = 61.5g = 30%
Fiber = 18g

On thursday when I test out my 5RMs, I'll probably have a similar diet.

Tomorrow is my first day of college so I'll be bringing some tuna packs, almonds, and boiled eggs with me to school. They'll love me there. :)

09-03-2002, 08:57 PM
Day 29 of 32
Tuesday, September 3rd

*yawns as he begins typing this..*

Well today was my first day at school. Today is my longest day and had to be there from 9am-6pm.. I'm so tired now that I'm going bed fairly early for a chane (10:45pm).

Training:
Schedule off day from the gym and I was sore anyways from yesterday's full body hammering. Today I had gym class and seeing as I'm in a police training program, the class was like a mild boot camp. Today was a lot of push-ups and running and I'm a little concerned about that as its only going to get worse as we go. Won't be easy gaining some solid size this fall while doing that, but the good news is its only 1 hour class a week so I'll just use it as my cardio. They'll also have us lifting weights and that could pose some probs as I'll now have to take a good post-workout meal and such to eat afterwards..well I'll know more about this all next Monday. Not gonna worry too much about it now. I already know what the final testing is on and I figure I'll get nearly 100%. Like one portion is benching you bodyweight for 10 reps.. for a perfect strength mark..wow that should be tough. :rolleyes:

Diet:
Managed to stick to the diet good. Ate 7 meals. Ate 3 packs of tuna, 2 boiled eggs, some almonds and an apple while at school.. hehe..

Today looked like:
Calories = 1754
Carbs = 26.9g = 03%
Protein = 211g = 48%
Fat = 97g = 51%
Fiber = 21.5g

Tomorrow I only have class from 9am-11am, but gotta write an exam in the afternoon from a summer course. :mad:

P.S. - Almost all the chicks are hot in my program and I'm definately hitting on this one the first chance I get.

09-04-2002, 09:21 PM
Day 30 of 32
Wednesday, September 4th

Training:
Off day. Sore hammies still anyways.

Diet:
I'll post today's full meal plan:

Meal 1: 8:00: 2 Whole Eggs (183,1.2,12,14)

Calories = 277
Carbs = 2.8g
Protein = 32g
Fat = 14g

Meal 2: 11:15: 100g Apple (59,15.2,0,0) (2.5g fiber)
100g Tuna (116,0,27,1)

Calories = 175
Carbs = 15.2g
Protein = 21g
Fat = 15g

Meal 3: 1:15: 100g Tuna (116,0,27,1)
20g Peanut Butter (128,3.5,5,10)

Calories = 244
Carbs = 4g
Protein = 26g
Fat = 11.5g

Meal 4: 4:00: 2 Whole Eggs (183,1.2,12,14)

Calories = 253
Carbs = 1.8g
Protein = 27g
Fat = 14g

Meal 5: 6:30: 5oz Salmon (258,0,36,11.5)

Calories = 279
Carbs = 1.9g
Protein = 38g
Fat = 11.5g

Meal 6: 8:45: 2 Whole Eggs (183,1.2,12,14)

Calories = 253
Carbs = 1.8g
Protein = 27g
Fat = 14g

Meal 7: 11:00: 100g Tuna (116,0,27,1)

Calories = 274
Carbs = 0.4g
Protein = 32g
Fat = 16g

Lots of eggs today as you can see. Today's totals were:
Calories = 1755
Carbs = 27.9g = 03%
Protein = 203g = 48%
Fat = 96g = 51%
Fiber = 21.5g

---------------------------

I just don't have an appetite much anymore and my metabolism is **** low. I need to ******* bulk soon. I can't wait till I get through the SD phase of HST and can begin. Friday evening I plan on testing my 5RMs and then Saturday will be day 1 of the deconditioning phase.

Franco
09-05-2002, 03:29 AM
Ace work Andy.

So did you get any comments at school when you pulled out the tuna, eggs etc.?

09-05-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by FAngel
Ace work Andy.

So did you get any comments at school when you pulled out the tuna, eggs etc.?

hehe nope. Thats probably cause I couldn't eat in class though. None of the teachers will allow food during class. Just liquids. Thats not a prob though since I get a break every hour.

btw- I macked with that hot chick today. My goal was to hit on her by the end of the week and today I got her # but found out she is currently in a relationship for 1 year. :cry: She still said she wants to hang out sometime and since her and I will be in the same classes for the next 2 years, ya never know. :cool:

Either way, monday I move on to some new prey. Too much to choose from.

09-05-2002, 09:19 PM
Day 31 of 32
Thursday, September 5th

I've been so busy this week with school and work that I hardly have anytime to even think. I even got a darn exam this saturday I haven't studied much at all for. Not good at all..oh well..

Training:
Off day again. Tomorrow evening I'm gonna test my 5RMs.

Diet:
Totals today were:
Calories = 1603
Carbs = 37g = 09%
Protein = 191g = 48%
Fat = 72g = 40%
Fiber = 22.5g

Too tired too say much more tonight. Got tomorrow off school but have to still get up early for a driving test with a possible new job. Then all afternoon I work, in the evening I workout, and then finally I get a few hours too myself to study for my weekend exam. :cry:

09-06-2002, 08:47 PM
Day 32 of 32
Friday, September 6th

YAY day 32 of 32. My scheduled NHE period is now complete. More good news. I got a new job with an armored security service today! 50-100% more pay than my other job and I get to carry a gun. :p

Diet:
Started my carbload earlier in the day because I wanted some extra energy for my evening workout. Here was my meals today and boy did I enjoy them:

Meal 1: 9:30: 2 Whole Eggs (183,1.2,12,14)

Calories = 277
Carbs = 2.8g
Protein = 32g
Fat = 14g

Meal 2: 12:30: 80g Dry Oats (304,45,11,5.5) (8g Fiber)
1/2 cup Cottage Cheese 2% (107,6,15,2.5)

Calories = 469
Carbs = 53g
Protein = 36g
Fat = 9g

Meal 3: 3:30: 1 pack Tuna (101,0,22,2)
1 medium Apple (81,21,0,0.5)

Calories = 182
Carbs = 21g
Protein = 22g
Fat = 2.5g

Meal 4: 6:30: 80g Dry Oats (304,45,11,5.5) (8g Fiber)

Calories = 469
Carbs = 53g
Protein = 36g
Fat = 9g

Meal 1(pre-workout): 7:30: 30g Dextrose (120,30,0,0)
2 scp Protein Powder (115,4,20,2)

Calories = 235
Carbs = 34g
Protein = 20g
Fat = 2g

Workout: 7:45-8:15

Meal 2(post-workout): 8:30: 1 Myoplex (280,24,42,2)
75g Banana (69,18,1,0)
30g Dextrose (120,30,0,0)
200mg ALA

Calories = 469
Carbs = 72g
Protein = 43g
Fat = 2g

Meal 6: 9:30: 80g Dry Oats (304,45,11,5.5) (8g Fiber)
100mg ALA

Calories = 469
Carbs = 53g
Protein = 36g
Fat = 9g

Meal 7: 11:30: 80g Dry Oats (304,45,11,5.5) (8g Fiber)
100mg ALA

Calories = 469
Carbs = 53g
Protein = 36g
Fat = 9g

That all totalled:
Calories = 3039
Carbs = 341.8g = 46%
Protein = 261g = 34%
Fat = 56.5g = 17%

Training:
Tested out my 5RMs this evening. Went on the light side on most the lifts but I have good data now for my upcoming HST. I now take the next 9-12 days off the gym. I may toss a few days of cardio in here or there, but no training.

----------------------------

What to do with my diet from here? Well NHE is simple as hell to follow for me..even when at school so I may keep doing it until my HST cycle begins, because there is no point raising carbs and calories if I'm not gonna use them. Tomorrow I'll probably eat similar to what I ate today to help facilitate some growth from tonight's workout. Maybe even grab some pizza as a cheat meal for supper, and then back on the diet a lil longer until HST. Dunno if I need to keep this journal anymore..nothing new is really going to happen over the next 1 1/2 weeks.

Because of when I started NHE I don't think I got the best out of it.. I think its a great diet plan and easy to follow, suppresses appetite great. Got me down to ~10% but was never able to fully crack those lower abs this time around. No biggie though since its fall now and I don't need 'em.
The problem was I started it after dieting so long that my metabolism simply couldn't rebound. A nice bulking period and some renewed muscle mass will do the trick for me.

NHE will probably be an option again in the future..until then..keep pumpin'.. and humpin'.. boys and girls. ;)

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-07-2002, 07:15 AM
If this is the end, Andy, ******* great journal. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it :thumbup: