PDA

View Full Version : Post-workout meal after a late workout

RainerG9
08-06-2002, 03:39 PM
Hey ppl Im currently trying to bulk but not gain a lot of fat, and I workout quite late. I usually finish my workout around 8-8:30 pm so Im home by approximately 9 pm.
Im not sure if i should consume a high-carbohydrate meal at this time of the day, as Im usually in bed around 11 the latest. Im afraid that having lots of carbs at that time of the day will lead to fat gain, so im not sure if i should just have a protein-based meal.

LAM
08-06-2002, 03:53 PM
Insulin sensitivity is naturally lower at night. I would still use a carb/protein drink but maybe lower the carbs a little say no more than 65 grams. the body is still burning fat after the session of resistance training. it cannot burn fat and store it at the same time. just make you last meal at 10 pm or so very low carb, maybe only protein and some veggies...

RainerG9
08-09-2002, 09:45 AM
thnx for the info LAM

MarshallPenn
08-09-2002, 09:49 AM
If you finish you're workout at 8:30, start drinking you're carbs at 8. Have your protein after if you want. Have another small solid meal later. Don't worry about the macro's so much. A little fat, a few carbs and some protein. You'll be all set.

RainerG9
08-09-2002, 09:55 AM
thx MarshallPenn.

I heard dextrose is a good source of carbs post-workout, and I may be able to get some dextrose tablets from a health store near my house.

What do you guys think about dextrose? should i take all of the 65 grams of carbs from the dextrose?
Others also take maltodextrin, but im not really sure what the difference is between dextrose.

which one do you prefer, or do you take both?

MarshallPenn
08-09-2002, 09:57 AM
yes, dextrose is best. you could just drink an ultrafuel as well (400 cals).

RainerG9
08-09-2002, 10:02 AM
where can i get ultrafuel? (sorry to be a bit ignorant..but in Cyprus we dont have that much of a supplement industry) :)
also, is it just carbs?

MarshallPenn
08-09-2002, 10:04 AM
oh... hmm. you can order it powdered and mix it to bring to the gym with you. search the web for it. it's made by twinlab I believe. yes, just carbs.

RainerG9
08-09-2002, 10:05 AM
ok thnx a lot for the help

RainerG9
08-09-2002, 10:12 AM
i just found it on a website. it says that one serving has 100 grams of carbs. is that too high as a post-workout drink at around 8 pm? (considering i go to sleep by 11 the latest)

By the way, if i train earlier in the day, how many hours before I sleep should i consume my last carbohydrate meal?

LAM
08-09-2002, 10:12 AM
the powdered form of dextrose is more economical than the pills. you can find it online for $2-4/lb. Several pounds last a LONG time.

both dextrose and maltodextrin are glucose based sugars although maltodextrin is a glucose polymer. it is a longer chained sugar molecule than dextrose but the hydrogen bonds are weak which cause it metabolize slightly slower than dextrose. the combination the two sugars is optimum as to much dextrose can cause a negative-sided insulin spike. that is why a 50/50 split is recommended for the best results. a negative-insulin spike can result in almost zero absorption of nutrients due to a rise in ph in the stomach from GI (gastrointestinal) upset from to much dextrose...

if you want to take 100 grams of carbs post workout 50 grams of each is the best method...

MarshallPenn
08-09-2002, 10:13 AM
No, it's not too high if it doesn't exceed your daily cal intake. You can go to sleep right away, it makes no difference. Also, you can always have 1/2 a bottle instead of a whole, or mix less powder in.

RainerG9
08-09-2002, 10:23 AM
are there any products which combine dextrose and maltodextrin?

also, apart from Twinlab's Ultrafuel, are there any other products you would recomend?

lastly, do u know any sites which sell them at a relatively cheap price? (ive searched a bit but cant find any products which contain them on their own)

LAM
08-09-2002, 10:31 AM
I used to mix my protein/carbs for years post workout. here is a great solution to having to do that..I just switched to this and it's awesome !

http://www.affordablesupplements.com/recover_x.asp

gino
08-09-2002, 11:26 AM
Don't worry about it. If you're taking high GI carbs after a workout, regardless of what time your workout is, your insulin will be raised for the same amount of time. Having high insulin levels from 9-11 pm will not effect you any differently than having high insulin levels any other 2 hours of the day. Either way, it's raised the same amount of time, and how often your insulin levels are high influences your bodyfat more than the time of day these levels are raised.

LAM
08-09-2002, 12:50 PM
lowered insulin sensitivity = less nutrient uptake and glucose uptake in skeletal muscle

gino
08-09-2002, 01:30 PM
= not much of an impact in this situation.

Feckless
08-11-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by RainerG9

Sure are!

Try NHF Ultra Hyper Carb (http://www.bodyworks.ca/nhf.html#Hyper), which, apart from having a very silly name, provides dextrose and maltodextrin together, along with a dash of fructose (which preferentially refills hepatic glycogen).

heathj
08-11-2002, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by RainerG9

Sweet Tarts.

RainerG9
08-12-2002, 02:42 PM
thnx guys for the feedback and for the links.

im actually thinking of ordering a post-workout mix from protein factory, possibly having 25g of dextrose, 25g of maltodextrin, and 30+g of protein per serving.

has anyone else tried protein factory's products before? if so, what r ur opinions, are they worth taking?

LAM
08-12-2002, 06:38 PM
I've been using the PF for years they have mostly high quality stuff.

I would not get your protein added in to the dextrose maltodextrin mixture, keep it seperate...

RainerG9
08-15-2002, 07:04 AM
ok thnx LAM. Does 25g dextrose and 25g maltodextrin in one serving sound good? or should i have more for my post-workout meal?