PDA

View Full Version : GNC screwed me out of job!

nate allan
08-08-2002, 08:33 PM
I was supposed to start a new job at GNC this weekend. I was promised the job almost two weeks ago, and told I could start as soon as Left my old job. I gave my supervisors the customary 2 weeks notice or till they found a replacement for me. They found one and I quit my job this last weekend. I was supposed to start this weekend I was already scheduled for the next two weeks. I get a call today saying that Someone requested a transfer from another GNC, and that I was no longer needed. Needless to say that I am pissed.

not getting the job doesn't piss me off as much as how it was handled.

1. I was promised the job, I was told the job was mine.
2.I quit my job, knowing that I had this job
3.I cannot go back to my old job, because the position has been filled.
4. I cannot collect unemployment, because I voluntarily quit.
5. I was not warned that this was a possibility.
6.The manager did not tell me, they had a sales assiociate tell me over the phone.

I would not be pissed had they not told me the job was mine.

MarshallPenn
08-08-2002, 08:41 PM
Ah, you can collect unemployment if GNC hired you, b/c in essence they are laying you off.

I would speak to the manager, let him know how you feel, explain the situation, and tell him you plan to collect unemployment.

nate allan
08-08-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by MarshallPenn
Ah, you can collect unemployment if GNC hired you, b/c in essence they are laying you off.

I would speak to the manager, let him know how you feel, explain the situation, and tell him you plan to collect unemployment.

but his where they got me, they never really hired me, I had not started yet. they just told me that I had the job, and that as soon as I quit my job I could start. I did that and they screwed me, I technicaly never worked for them.

PowerManDL
08-08-2002, 08:47 PM
The next move is simple, and really quite obvious.

You have to go in there with a can of gasoline, light the place on fire, punch the manager in the face, then make off with as much loot as you can before all hell breaks loose.

MarshallPenn
08-08-2002, 08:49 PM
I don't know that you ever need to actually go to work. If you accepted the job, and had that agreement, that should be good enough.

That, AND do what Matt suggested.

nate allan
08-08-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL

You have to go in there with a can of gasoline, light the place on fire, punch the manager in the face, then make off with as much loot as you can before all hell breaks loose.

Trust me, I thought about. I was thinking about going there and just going ballistic, but the thought of prison scares me.

GIS
08-08-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by MarshallPenn

You have to work a minimum number of hours in order to collect unemployment... My friend was like 6 hours short when he was layed off and couldn't collect it.

Alex.V
08-08-2002, 08:54 PM
Crap. Well..... was anything signed? Verbal agreement will not allow you to collect unemployment. I dunno, I work at a franchise store, not corporate, but I can ask my boss what the policy is...

MarshallPenn
08-08-2002, 08:54 PM
I would bet that unemployment law varies from state to state. He may still be ok.

Nate - call and speak to the manager and just explain your situation. Maybe he'll understand and throw you on the schedule. After that, call GNC's head offices and threaten legal action.

LAM
08-08-2002, 09:07 PM
If a W-2 was never signed and submitted there was no employment...

Gyno Rhino
08-08-2002, 09:09 PM
Threaten them with a lawsuit, do what Power said, but make sure to kill the manager's family pets beforehand, with cryptic messages like "Did a good JOB..." or "Sorry, someone from another house transferred, your cat was no longer needed.."

Delphi
08-08-2002, 09:10 PM
There was a verbal agreement. Whether that gives you any legal standing in your state, I don't know. If GNC thinks you might pursue legal action, they might just find you a job real quick. Sorry to hear you got screwed.

Tiare
08-08-2002, 09:26 PM
You're screwed and probably nothing you can do about it. Were they planning on paying you some insane amount or something?

Sounds like they had a lousy manager to work for anyway, you probably got off better for not being there. Sorry to hear you left your old job and hope you get a better one soon!

Just think, now you can tell them "hey, I can start right away!"

Ritzol
08-08-2002, 09:29 PM
People will start law suits over anything these days wont they?

:rolleyes:

Gyno Rhino
08-08-2002, 09:31 PM
I don't know. I consider being screwed out of a job (if this is really an underhanded and nasty situation) then maybe there IS grounds for some compensation. How would you like applying for a job, being told you're getting it, quitting the old one, then getting screwed. Doesn't sound all that serious for nate, but what if you have a family/kids to support?

Goin_Big
08-08-2002, 09:33 PM
I'd be pretty ticked off to.

Ritzol
08-08-2002, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't be happy either, and I wasn't particularly referring to him. I'm saying in general there are way too many needless and pointless lawsuits filed, and people are just plain money hungry.

Basically it boils down to a nation who is greedy, every last one of us, and some just more than others.

Delphi
08-08-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Ritzol
People will start law suits over anything these days wont they?

Being tricked into quitting an existing job and then not being hired is not a trivial matter in my book. What if he ends up not finding another job for 2 or 3 months? I'm not saying he should sue, but he should let GNC know that is certainly is an option for his unemployment that would not have occurred if they had kept to their arrangement.

Ritzol
08-08-2002, 09:50 PM
Ok, not trying to start a controversy... simply giving my opinion.

I'm so tired of hearing about lawsuits I could scream.

that is all...

LAM
08-08-2002, 11:29 PM
Is a verbal agreement legaly binding ?

Generally there are no formal requirements which have to be satisfied to create a binding contract (limited exceptions include contracts for the sale of land and consumer credit agreements). Consequently, a verbal contract will be binding.

The main problem with oral contracts is proving exactly what was said and agreed. Generally, it is one person's word against another's.

Saying that, if you can prove that you were given a false assurance/ information on which you based your decision to enter into the contract, you may have an action for misrepresentation and/or breach of contract which would entitle you to damages.

Neil
08-08-2002, 11:59 PM
I would bring your situation to the attention of the district manager/supervisor of the GNC you applied at. I wouldn't bother dealing with anyone any lower than that. Someone in that company has to have a decent head on their shoulders.

Budiak
08-09-2002, 12:45 AM
He's right. If there is proof that you were 'screwed', just calmly ask if there is another position at another store that is close by, I dont think there would be a huge controversy over him putting you in another store.

Can you work in the store of the guy who moved?

NateDogg
08-09-2002, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by LAM
If a W-2 was never signed and submitted there was no employment...

You mean a W-4.

chris mason
08-09-2002, 07:20 AM
How about you go find another job. There may be another GNC in town, or at a gym etc. if you want to be in the fitness end of things.

The situation stinks, but I am sure you can get a job quickly if you look around.

Orange357
08-09-2002, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL

I agree...

fit4firsttime
08-09-2002, 08:55 PM
call your local labor board (not union) and call a news station that has an "on your side" or "troubleshooter" news stations thrive on sh*t like that. and dont call the attorney general they mostley handle child abuse complaints but thats where i live might be different where your at. calling the bbb might help too 'cause that isnt good business

GIS
08-09-2002, 10:44 PM
My input is **** happens and live with it... this sort of stuff happens all the time in the job market and there is little that you can do other than ask them about the situation and possibly see if you can get on at another location. Never burn your bridges and going around trying to get the media and governmental agencies involved does just that, not to mention they probaby don't give a rats ass anyway.