PDA

View Full Version : Upped routine = Upped Appetite?

Borgod Maxximus
08-11-2002, 11:38 PM
Gday,

In the last few weeks Ive really increased the intensity of my training... more often, harder and more focused.
Back on the creatine and protein shakes also.

Before this I wasnt eating that much, and subsequently lost a bit of weight (and muscle too unfortunately)

Ive noticed that my appetite has really shot up. Before I was honestly struggling with 2 meals a day, I was doing NO cardio and perhaps training half-assed twice a week.

Now I include cardio in my workout and I eat ALOT more aswell.

My question is, does my body know that it requires more fuel, thus wanting more food when training harder?

Before I wasnt eating, so my stomach was shrinking and I used to struggle through a salad roll. What prompted me to write this is the massive lunch Ive just eaten :D

The weight I lost from not eating I dont regard as 'healthy weight-loss'.
So Im trying to incorporate much more cardio and training in my routine... hoping to offset the more food Im eating and not put on weight. Perhaps thats another thread... the ability to bulk up and train harder, creatine & protein shakes etc while maintaining cardio and better eating to bring down the BF.

Any thoughts would be most excellent...

...dude

:)

GIS
08-12-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Borgod Maxximus

My question is, does my body know that it requires more fuel, thus wanting more food when training harder?

Yep. :)

Cravings for food mean that your body needs fuel. Strangly it is even smart enough to create cravings for a particular nutrient such as sodium, carbos, protein, etc. Once a week I'll usually get an aching craving for pasta, rice, or some kind of carbo because my body seems to tell me when I'm running a little low. Same with salt... I'll get a craving for salty foods.

If you're trying to add mass, make sure you address your stomach's cravings for calories. Even better, you should feed your body and get in a routine such that you satisfy the hunger before it actually strikes.

Be careful when you are doing a bunch of cardio and trying to maintain mass while keeping fat down. It's easy to starve yourself (in bodybuilding terms starving oneself might be as high as 2500 calories) and get into a catabolic state. Just make sure you eat pleanty of good calories (from protein and good carbs) and stay away from saturated fats, sugar, and too many carbs in general. It's a fine science so it'll take quite a bit of trial and error to find how many calories, carbs, grams of protein, etc are what your body needs for the particular training regime you partake in. Counting calories for a week is VERY important in achieving this... you'd be surprised just how many you end up eating.

Good luck and remember... gaining muscle mass usually requires the sacrifice of an increased body fat percentage.

GIS
08-12-2002, 12:26 AM
Dude... they have Bill and Teds Excellent adventure in Australia??

Aint the capitalistic influence of America grand?! :)

Borgod Maxximus
08-12-2002, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the reply

Aint the capitalistic influence of America grand?!

Debatable... and a whole can of worms :p

It's easy to starve yourself (in bodybuilding terms starving oneself might be as high as 2500 calories) and get into a catabolic state.

Hmm I wasnt aware of this :rolleyes:
I'm 6'4"... 106 KILOGRAMS (or about 233lbs) so I guess I should keep a close eye on this.

It's a fine science so it'll take quite a bit of trial and error to find how many calories, carbs, grams of protein, etc are what your body needs for the particular training regime you partake in. Counting calories for a week is VERY important in achieving this... you'd be surprised just how many you end up eating.

I am really trying to avoid calory counting.
I take my training serious but Im not keen on counting calories...
When I move out of home I will be able to have total control over what and how much I can eat but until then Im just concentrating on keeping as much fats out as possible, basicly.

It would be interesting to know my calory count for a week but...
something to think about maybe

Tank23
08-12-2002, 06:54 AM
some fats are good mate......try to get good fats in...such as from flaxseed oil, nuts, fish etc. and watch the carbs. try not to eat too much carbs before you go to bed.

Borgod Maxximus
08-12-2002, 07:57 PM
Everyone talks about and loves flaxseed oil.
What is the deal with this stuff?

Can youget it at a supermarket?
Do you use it like you would use normal cooking olive oil?
Or does it come in a supplement form that you take seperately?

Why is it so great to start with?

Shao-LiN
08-12-2002, 08:41 PM
Has good fats in it - mostly polyunsaturated fat...it's good for you. You want polyunsaturated fat and monounsaturated fat in your diet.

Tank23
08-13-2002, 01:30 AM
borgod- yeh i know...everyone talks about flaxseed oil....i don't use it, i've never seen it before. But yeh...good fats in it like shao-lin said.