PDA

View Full Version : What does wrist size have to do with anything?

Accipiter
08-12-2002, 09:55 AM
A lot of calculators I see use wrist size as part of the equation.

Now I have very skinny/ pretty weak wrists, (6.75").

Does that supposedly mean I'll be hampered in efforts to get larger? I'm just confused on the whole issue

Goin_Big
08-12-2002, 09:57 AM
Technically smaller wrists should correlate to smaller arms. But hey, people used to think the world was flat ;)

IceRgrrl
08-12-2002, 10:07 AM
It's allegedly an indicator of frame size...but one measurement doesn't take everything into account.

JapaneseMachine
08-12-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl
It's allegedly an indicator of frame size...but one measurement doesn't take everything into account.

exactly i have 6.5 inch wrists and a 13 inch forarm without flexing, it looks damn good.

nightop
08-12-2002, 11:36 AM
I think that these calculators give a faily decent indication of your overall body weight potential while at a low bf... like was said on the other thread about this, but at the same time, of all the aspects calculated, the wrist size seems to be less accurate in terms of potential. I can't prove this or cite anything but all I know is that there are MANY ppl (friends and other ppl at the gym) who have small small wrists and have a large frame and/or lots of mass (assuming natural).

Neil
08-12-2002, 12:03 PM
I have 7in wrists and 16.5+ arms. Accordind to Beyond Brawn my maximum arm potential is between 16.4 and 17in. I weigh around 190 and am fairly lean and am nowhere near my maximum genetic potential so I wouldn't put too much faith in the wrist size equals size potential theory.

Accipiter
08-12-2002, 12:43 PM
that's what I was thinkin Neil. I'm not even close, I've got 6.75" wrists and arms that are approaching 16"

benchmonster
08-12-2002, 12:51 PM
Well, just cause your wrists are 7 inches or less, doesn't mean that you won't get big and strong, but I do think there is some validity to the theory that if you have a 7 inch wrist, and your buddy has a 9 inch wrist, then there is an excellent chance your buddy has more potential for growth than you do.

I have like 7.25 or so wrists. I have 18 inch or so arms. But I have a training partner with 9 inch or bigger wrists. And his arms are bigger than mine already and he is only 22 years old. He has much greater potential to get big arms than I do. He is simply a bigger person.

Same thing with knee and ankle measurements. No they are not the end-all be-all, but they do indicate what type of body type (endomorph, ectomorph, etc.) and growth potential you have.

But don't get discouraged. Look at it like this. A 16 inch arm with a 9 inch wrist doesn't look like much, but a 16 inch arm with a 5.5 inch wrist looks awesome.

B.

spl_373
08-12-2002, 01:00 PM
hmm wierd, I was always skinny, but my wrists are 7 5/8's, but when I started working out my arms where only 13.5 inches. So far I got them up to 15 2/8, I know I have lots of room for more natural growth, but hopefully this means I have even more potential as I thought I had a small frame. ALthough maybe height has something to do with it? I'm 6' as well.

Accipiter
08-12-2002, 01:13 PM
nice squat, and bench too, considering your height

howsertrading
08-12-2002, 01:43 PM
I believe Serge Nubret had just over 6 inch wrists and placed in the Mr Olympia top 3 several times,behind the Oak.

http://clay_b863.tripod.com/NubretSerge/SNubret0008.jpg

http://clay_b863.tripod.com/NubretSerge/SNubret0016.jpg

http://clay_b863.tripod.com/NubretSerge/SNubret0014.jpg

You'll have to copy and paste the links into the address bar cause they are hosted on tripod.

MonStar
08-12-2002, 01:48 PM
Wow nice picture howsertrading! Image Hosted by tripod really looks good. :D:D

Anyways my wrists are 7" around my biceps are around 16.5" and my forearms are 13". And I dont feel even close to my genetic potential.

body
08-12-2002, 02:11 PM
smaller wrists can make your forarms look bigger that is good for bbers.

lfex wheeler was credited with having small joints so his muscle look bigger.

I agree with bench monsters that wrist size is not the be all and end all factor. but if your born with bigger wrsits it probably helps.

like in repsect if you born with big hips. your probably statistically more likely to be a better squats. than a tall skinny perosn. But there are always exceptions to the rule.

Don't worry about your potential unless your going to make a descion that your will effect the rest of your life. As most of us are not planning on becoming a pro BBers. just trian for your self and be the best. Do not make excuse of why you have not got 18 inch arms especially if your diet, sleep patterns etc are not as good as they could be.

nate allan
08-12-2002, 02:24 PM
I do think, that wrist size affects potential size and strength.

How many strongman competitors or superheavy powerlifter have small wrists or hands. probably none, atleast none that I have met.

I have met guys like KAZ, Mark Henry, Sven Karlson, Karl Gillianham and all have very large wrists and hands. Mark henry's fingers were almost as big as my wrists.

bigkevin20
08-12-2002, 03:14 PM
Well I am glad wrist dont matter because I allways thought I had thin wrist I have about 7.25 and 16 inch arms and i am no where near my potential yet

body
08-12-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by nate allan
I do think, that wrist size affects potential size and strength.

How many strongman competitors or superheavy powerlifter have small wrists or hands. probably none, atleast none that I have met.

I have met guys like KAZ, Mark Henry, Sven Karlson, Karl Gillianham and all have very large wrists and hands. Mark henry's fingers were almost as big as my wrists.

how do lower weight power lifter compare with wrist size. especially the big benchers. so they will be very stong forarms. but do they have big wrists relative to there over all size.

though regardless of size they have strong wrists.

Blitzforce
08-12-2002, 04:54 PM
people with the smaller wrists and good fast twitch fibres tend to be the ones that jump higher, and run faster due to the lighter non-muscle mass. So what goes around comes around :)

I have a 6.75 inch wrist, it actually goes smaller to 6.5 when I get leaner. and it does make whatever muscle I have look much larger on me than someone with larger bones. I like to think of myself as an Asian Flex Wheeler in terms of frame, height and body structure - not muscle mass though :D

But I'm kinda odd, my lower body is like of a person with bigger frame or wrist, and my upper body is like of a guy with a 6.75 inch wrist.

spl_373
08-13-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Accipiter
nice squat, and bench too, considering your height

Thanks, if you where talking to me lol :p
My squat is definatley my strong point, which is wierd I guess since I am tall. I contribute that to 12 years of hockey I guess. My deadlift has been at a dead hault for awhile. I find it hard to manage deadlift and squat in the same week with maximum intensity. In fact, my squat sky rocketed after I stopped doing deadlifts. Go figure. Hope to get bench up to 300 within a year. I've been training for a year and a couple months now.

HighlyFanatic
08-13-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by benchmonster

But don't get discouraged. Look at it like this. A 16 inch arm with a 9 inch wrist doesn't look like much, but a 16 inch arm with a 5.5 inch wrist looks awesome.

B.

well said, size matters to some extent. But the person with a "smaller" frame and the same size muscle (as someone else of a larger frame) will look better.

galileo
08-13-2002, 03:38 PM
6.8" @ 5'9"

bling bling.

DelveyBoy
08-13-2002, 05:52 PM
i think how big your wrists indicates how much bf you have

W8_4_Me
08-13-2002, 06:24 PM
7" wrist, 17.5" bicep... and still growing.

Indicators like that sort of bug me. I think some people look at those and decide that they just can't get to where they want to because the indicator SAID so.

DelveyBoy-

i think how big your wrists indicates how much bf you have

LOL!

I thought it was a way to determine the size of one's winky.

Accipiter
08-13-2002, 08:41 PM
from inside of your elbow to your wrist is supposed to be how long and thick your wang is. I've actually heard that...I only wish it were true