PDA

View Full Version : Edgar's Journal

EdgarMex
08-12-2002, 01:35 PM
Hello, everybody. I'm new to this forum, I posted some info about me on the General Chat area last week, when I first got on thes forum, here's the link for thos who might want to read it (my first post) (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18170)

Today I started training with a routine based on WBB #1. Basically what I did was change it to make it a Push-Legs-Pull routine. What prompted me to do this was reading a lot of posts from people who reccomend not to train two big muscle groups on the same day (in this case back and chest) and some others recommending to train back and bicepos on the same day. This made sense to me and that's why I made the changes.

Okay, here's what I did today and some comments about it

Since this was my first work out I wasn't sure about the weight I should use, that's why you'll see that on most excercises I use one weight for the first set and another on the second one (I know the pundages are still pretty weak, so please try not to laught too hard :) ) On exercises where I used dumbells the weight is for each dumbell

Escalator 10 mins

Sit-ups 25x4

Bench Press

warm up 70lbsx1x15
work 110lbsx1x8
120lbsx1x8

Incline DB Bench Press

warm up 20lbsx1x15
work 30lbsx1x8
40lbsx1x8

Flat DB Fly

warm up 15lbsx1x15
work 25lbsx1x8
30lbsx1x8

Military Press

warm up 20lbsx1x15
work 50lbsx1x8
60lbsx1x8

DB Shoulder Press

warm up 15lbsx1x15
work 40lbsx2x8

Close Grip Bench Press

warm up 10lbsx1x15
work 30lbsx1x10
40lbsx1x8

Skullcrushers

warm up 10lbsx1x15
work 50lbsx2x8

Today's workout felt pretty good. I must admit I was a bit skeptical about low volume training, but it went very good. At the end of it my tris felt like they were going to burst or something. I have one question regarding bech press. I have seen several posts where people say to "pinch the shoulders together". Since Englis is not my first language, could somebody describe that for me in a bit more detail? Also, the work out took more that I expected, about an hour and a half, probably because of the warm up sets, but it's still shorter than before, it used to be about 2 to 2:15

I'm not much on a diet right now, but I'm trying to get into it. So far today

5:30 am Bowl of cereal with 2% milk, 2caps Ripped Fuel
8:30 am 1 scoop of whey mixed with 1 cup of 2% milk (I know it would be better to mix it with water, but I already tried it once and it tastes like sh!t, no that I know what sh!t tastes like, but I'm sure it's pretty close), and a banana.

I'm not sure what I'll have for lunch (I'm still waiting for my wife to bring it) so I'll post tomorrow the rest of my meals today.

Anyway, that's all for today. Tomorrow I won't be lifting, but I'm planing to doing some cardio (which I hate cause I have asthma and I run out of breath real fast) and hit the abs harder than today.

Please feel free to post your comments on today's workout and any suggestions you my have.

Alex.V
08-12-2002, 05:02 PM
"pinch the shoulders together".. basically, keep your shoulders back. Don't have them slouched forward, instead stick your chest out and make your back lie flat on the bench.

Only other comments are: Get some skim milk, and... welcome to the journals forum. :) Good luck with your routine.

EdgarMex
08-13-2002, 11:11 AM
Thanks for answering my question, Belial, I'll put it in practice next monday, which is chest day.

Diet for Monday Aug. 12 (I posted part of this yesterday)

5:30 am Bowl of cereal with 2% milk, 2caps Ripped Fuel
8:30 am 1 scoop of whey mixed with 1 cup of 2% milk and a banana.
2:00 pm Rice (my gues it is what you guys would call spanish rice, it wasn't steamed) and ground meat with string beans (starting today I'm having about half portion of what I would usually eat for lunch)
7:00 pm 1 can tuna with vegetables (carrot, corn and peas)
9:30 pm (late, I know, I'm working on fixing this) 1 glass of milk and 1 ham and cheese sandwich

Sleep: About 6 hours, it was a bit hot and humid and I didn't sleep very well. Set the alarm clock at 6 am, but woke up at 5 and couldn't go back to sleep.

Today was a rest day, bue I went to the gym anyway, no lifting tho:

10 min on escalator
5x25 sit-ups
4x100 side bends
5 min on treadmill (stupid thing was making noises like it was going to fall apart, that's why only did 5 mins on it)
10 min on escalator
4x20 hip raises
2x15 and 4x30 Roman chair leg raises

Tomorrow's leg day. I'm not really looking forward to it, I don't like squats cause they really get me tired, but I'll do them anyway. I'll report tomorrow how it went.

ectx
08-13-2002, 11:09 PM
hey paesano. :hello:
I noticed you take the 2 caps of ripped fuel w/cereal. As I understand it Ripped fuel is an ephedrine containing thermogenic and should be taken on an empty stomach for maximal effect. When I take mine (xenadrine rfa) I usually do it on an empty stomach, go work out, and then come back and eat my cereal and my shake. I don't know, just something you might want to consider. I also never take it before cardio.

EdgarMex
08-14-2002, 10:04 AM
Hey, dude!

When I started taking ripped fuel I was doing it on an empty stomach and taking a protein shake about half hour later, just before my workout (as recommended by my trainer), but after about three weeks I started having some serious heartburn during my workout and in the afternoon. Last week I took one cap instead of the usual two, and I felt a bit better but I was still having heartburn during the day. Just this week I went back to two caps and a bowl of cereal after that and the heartburn is gone. Both Monday's and today's workout went pretty good and I feel the effects of ripped fuel the same as before, but without the heartburn, so I think I'm going to continue taking them this way, at least for a few weeks to give my stomach a break.

About taking them before cardio, do you recommend not taking them because I may overheat or is there other reson to it? Yesterday my cardio session felt good and sweated like someone dropped a bucket of water on me.

Thanks for the advice, man

EdgarMex
08-14-2002, 10:15 AM
Diet for Tueday Aug. 13

5:30 am 2 caps Ripped Fuel, bowl of cereal with 2% milk (I think I should eat a bit less cereal in the morning, today I was feeling a bit bloated at the beginning of my workout)
2:30 pm Rice and ground meat with string beans (this was the same as yesterday, I hate when my wife gives me the same two days in a row, but hey, she's pretty busy, so I try no to complain)
6:30 pm 1 can tuna with vegetables (carrot, corn and peas)
9:30 pm 1 scoop of whey mixed with 1 cup of 2% milk

Sleep: Last nigh sleep was not very good. I went to bed around 11:30 pm and woke up at 4, rolled on the bed for about half an hour and the slept for another 40 or 50 minutes. I hope I don't get sleepy during the afternoon.

Today was leg day and it went great, I lifted a bit more on squats and on the leg press than usual and it felt good

10 minutes on escalator
Laying leg raises 4x20

Squats
warm up 90lbsx1x15
work 160lbsx1x9
180lbsx1x8

Leg Press
warm up 270lbsx1x15
work 450lbsx1x10
500lbsx1x8

Leg Curl
warm up 20lbsx1x15
work 40lbsx1x8
45lbsx1x8

DB SLDL
warm up 20lbs(each db)x1x15
work 40lbs(each)x1x8
50lbs(each)x1x8

One Legged Standing Calf Raise
warm up 20lbsx1x15
work 40lbsx2x10

Seated Calf Raise
90lbsx2x10

ectx
08-14-2002, 10:51 AM
About taking them before cardio, do you recommend not taking them because I may overheat or is there other reson to it? Yesterday my cardio session felt good and sweated like someone dropped a bucket of water on me.

I guess for everyone it's different. What I take is a little different too. I think xenadrine rfa also has caffeine and aspirin as well as a load of other random stuff. If I took it before I'd go running I'd puke every time. I'd push myself and my heart a little too far. I'm okay if I take it 3 hours before running, it's just that if I take it 1/2 hour to an hour before, my heart rate goes a little wacky and I run till I puke. :eek: It's different for everyone and you've got to do what works for you. good luck. :) I'm enjoying reading your journal.

EdgarMex
08-14-2002, 11:10 AM
From what i've been reading and from checking the bottle, ripped fuel doesn't contain aspirin, I'm not sure if that would make a big difference. But anyway, if something doesn't feel right I'll change the way I'm taking it again :)

EdgarMex
08-15-2002, 10:07 AM
Diet for Wednesday Aug. 14

5:30 am 2 caps Ripped Fuel, bowl of cereal with 2% milk
9:00 am 1 scoop of whey mixed with 1 cup of 2% milk and a banana.
2:00 pm Steamed rice and chicken leg with potatoes and bacon
10:00 pm 1 glass of milk and 1 slice of bread

Sleep: It was better last night, I went to bed around 10:30, woke up around 3, but went back to sleep in a few minutes until 6 am.

Today I almost stayed in bed when the alarm clock went off, but I dragged my ass out of bed and went to the gym:

10 min on escalator (damn treadmill is still not working)
4x100 side bends with 20 lbs dumbells
4x25 sit-ups with a 10 lbs plate
10 min on escalator
4x20 Roman chair leg raises
2x20 Cable twists (probably not the right name, it works the waist)
10 min on escalator

The positive note today was that I got weighted (does this sound right, if not please let me know what would be the right way to say it) and I'm 84 kilos (185 lbs). For the last couple of months I been dropping about a kilo (2.2 lbs aprox.) every other week. let's see if watching a bit better what I eat and my new routine help me loose more weight, preferably the one stuck where my waist used to be :D

EdgarMex
08-16-2002, 10:41 AM
Diet for Thursday Aug. 15

6:00 am 2 caps Ripped Fuel, bowl of cereal with 2% milk
9:00 am 1 scoop of whey mixed with 1 cup of 2% milk and a banana.
2:00 pm Steamed rice and breaded chicken breast
9:40 pm 1 scoop of whey mixed with 1 cup of 2% milk

Sleep: Last nigh sleep was messed up. I went to bed around 10:15 pm. It got really windy last night and I woke up at 11:30. After a few minutes electricity went out and it got really hot without the air conditioning on. I finally fell asleep again after 12:30 when electricity came back. Then I woke up around 3 but fell asleep quick. Then woke up again at 5 and got off the bed at 5:30.

Back and Biceps

10 minutes on escalator
Sit ups with a 10 lbs plate 4x25

Wide Grip Pulldowns
warm up 40lbsx1x15
work 90lbsx2x9

Deadlifts
warm up 70lbsx1x15
work 110lbsx2x8

Bent Over Rows
warm up 50lbsx1x15
work 70lbsx1x8
80lbsx1x8

DB Shrugs
warm up 30lbs(each db)x1x15
work 60lbs(each)x2x10

Alternating DB Seated Curls
warm up 15lbsx1x15
work 30lbsx2x8

Alternating DB Hammer Curls
warm up 15lbsx1x15
work 30lbsx2x8

Today's workout went great. I had some doubts about deadlifts because I've never done them before. From what I had seen at www.exrx.net it looked more like it would hit the glutes and legs rather than the back (at exrx.net it's even listed as a glute excercise), but I wanted to give them a try since everybody talks wonders about deadlifts here. I didn't want to go with too much weight to work a bit on the form. After I did the warm up set I knew they weren't as hard as I thought. It was funny to see the looks in the faces of the other people at the gym (mostly women, a couple of guys and a trainer), they were looking at me like "WTF is this dude doing?". After I completed my two work sets I felt like I could have used some more weight, so next week I'll put 20 or 30 lbs more than this week and see how it feels. It felt good to do biceps after back excercises, my bis were a bit pumped after doing back and I didn't feel like I needed much more than the 2 bis excercises I have on my routine. Before starting this routine I had to doat least 4 or 5 bis excercises to feel like I had worked them out.

Well, this ends week one with my new routine and being more careful with my diet. If anybody has comments about how I can improve my routine they will be appreciated.

EdgarMex
08-19-2002, 10:44 AM
I'm back after taking a break for the weekend. Diet on Friday and Saturday went pretty much like the rest of the week, so I'm not going to post the whole thing again. Yesterday, diet was a bit screwed, but hey It was Sunday, so I won't beat myself over it. I even had a few (3 to be precise) drink and they felt pretty good.

Today I was back at the gym, Back-Shoulders-Triceps day

Escalator 10 mins

3 Supersets of
Side bends with 20lbs DBS 1x50
Sit-ups with 10lbs plate 1x25

Bench Press

warm up 70lbsx1x15
work 120lbsx2x8

Incline DB Bench Press

warm up 20lbsx1x15
work 40lbsx2x9

Flat DB Fly

warm up 15lbsx (each DB)1x15
work 30lbs (Each DB)x2x8

Arnold Press

warm up 20lbs (eachDB)x1x15
work 40lbs (each DB)x2x8

Skullcrushers

warm up 15lbsx1x15
work 50lbsx1x8
60lbsx1x8

Close Grip Bench Press

warm up 15lbsx1x15
work 60lbsx2x9

DB Lateral Raises

warm up 10lbs (each DB)x1x15
work 20lbs (each DB)x2x8

Comments: I struggled at bit on the second work sets of several excercises, I'm not sure if it was because I still hgave traces of a nasty cold that got me on saturday or because I used the same weight on both worksets, as oposed to using a lighter weight on the first set. Over all it felt pretty good, especially on my tris which felt like they were going to explode when I finished doing the CGBP. Also, I finished earlier that last week, around 7:30, very little socializing, which is good, and some breaks were shorter than usual. I guess that's the way to go to avoid spending too much time at the gym :)

Alex.V
08-19-2002, 10:47 PM
Shorter breaks may be good, but too short and you won't be able to do what you're capable of on the next set. Any idea how long you take between sets, on average?

Keep up the dedicated journal! :)

EdgarMex
08-20-2002, 09:45 AM
Most breaks are two to three minutes, unless I'm still out of breath, then I take more time. I usually take a break long enough to make sure I'll complete the next set. The problem is that sometimes when I'm on a break between sets people start talking to me (some other times it's me who starts the conversation) and that usually leads to breaks way longer than I really need. I'm trying to keep the socializing to a minimum to keep the total time at the gym under an hour and a half, I could really use another half hour of sleep ;)

EdgarMex
08-20-2002, 10:54 AM
Diet for Monday Aug. 19

5:30 am 2caps Ripped Fuel, bowl of cereal with 2% milk,
3:00 pm Rice and I don't know what's it called, but it had zuchinni (sp?), corn, tomato, onion, sour cream and I'm not sure what else (but it tasted pretty good, lol)
9:30 pm 1 can tuna with vegetables

Only four meals yesterday, afternoon was pretty busy at work (which is good), but it didn't give me a chance to eat until I got home, I was f***ing starving, but I tried to eat just a little, otherwise I get these funky dreams (and wake up around midnight with nasty heartburn)

Sleep: About 6 hours and half, was ok.

Today was a rest/cardio day:

15 min on escalator
5x25 sit-ups with a 10lbs plate
6x15 Roman chair leg raises
15 min on escalator
4 Super sets of:
20 reps each of a couple of ab excercises I don't know the name of
20 laying hip raises
20 laying leg raises

General comments: The gym was a bit crowded today, and I hate that, good thing I wasn't going to lift today otherwise it would have been a mess.

I was talking to my wife over the weekend about buying some stuff and set up a gym at home in a spare room and she like the idea, that way she could work out too (she doens't like gyms, she doesn't like "to have other people watching her", lol). We saw some equipment at Sears on Sunday ( there's a post on General Chat where I was asking people's comments on it (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18661) ) and I could get what I need to get started with about $500-$550. I'll probably will have to wait until December, but I'll see if I can come up with the money in a couple of months. I'd really like the idea of having my own gym at home, mostly because I won't have to depend on the gym's hours, nopt to mention that I would get to play whatever music I want to! :D We'll see what hapens.

EdgarMex
08-21-2002, 09:49 AM
Diet for Tueday Aug. 20

8:45 am 1 scoop of whey mixed with 1 cup of 2% milk and a banana.
2:30 pm Same stuff as yesterday
7:15 pm 1 can tuna with vegetables
10:00 pm 1 scoop of whey mixed with 1 cup of 2% milk and 1 scoop of oats

Sleep: It was good, even tho I could have used an hour more.

Legs

10 minutes on escalator
Sit-ups with 10 lbs plate 3x25

Squats
warm up 90lbsx1x15
work 180lbsx1x9
180lbsx1x8

Leg Press
warm up 270lbsx1x15
work 500lbsx1x9
500lbsx1x8

Leg Curl
warm up 20lbsx1x15
work 45lbsx2x8

Leg Extension
warm up 25lbsx1x15
work 45lbsx1x10
50lbsx1x8

BB SLDL
warm up 70lbsx1x15
work 110x2x8

Seated Calf Raise
90lbsx2x20

Comments: Today's workout was really good. I got a bit dizzy after the first work set of squats, I think I should have taken another minute before I started that set, but the second set was very good. The leg press felt good too, this time I did both work sets with 500 lbs. Thru all the second sed I had my eyes closed and it was funny to open them at the end of the set and see almost everybody looking at me. The only other guy at the gym at that time and a couple of the ladies said "those were a lot of plates on the press" (10 45s and 2 25s) and that I "must be so strong to lift that much weight". I don't think it was that much weight (for the leg press anyway) especially since yesterday I read a post of somebody doing 1000 lbs on the leg press. Now that is some serious weight.

I added leg extensions this week cause I feel my quads are not getting worked enough from the squats and leg press. It feels like the hams are the ones getting most of the work on those excercises. I probably should add more weight on the calves raises, I didn't feel much todays sets. Next week I'll give it a try with 3 plates instead of 2 and see how it feels.

EdgarMex
08-22-2002, 12:20 PM
Diet for Wdnesday Aug. 21

8:00 am 1 scoop whey, 1 cup 2% milk, 1 banana
11:00 am 1 can tuna with vegetables (I was fkin' starving by this time)
2:30 pm Rices and breaded beef
7:00 pm Coleslaw
9:30 pm I glass of milk and some cookies

Today I took a break from workout. I was supposed to do cardio, but since last night I wasn't feeling like going to the gym today, so I didn't even set the alarm clock. I woke up around 8:20 and stayed in bed almost until 9. I didn't feel like going to work either, but that wasn't really a choice, so I dragged my lazy fat ass out of bed. That's when I discovered my hams are quite sore today. My lower back was a bit sore too when I got out of bed, but it feels bit better now, I guess it must be from the SLDLs.

I've been feeling a bit sleepy all morning, and business being slow doesn't help much :) I'm not sure if it is because I slept more than usual, the lack of excercise today, or just that I miss my daily EC dose.

I've already posted about this, but I just wanted to put it in my journal too. I've been doing some reading on old post on the Training forum and saw that some people recommend doing Deadlifts on their own day, instead of Back or Legs day. So after reading a few hundreds of posts and fiddling around for a while with my routine I decided to change it a bit and make it a 4 day spli. Here's what I came up with:

Monday - Chest/Tris
Tuesday - DLs/Shoulders
Wednesday - Cardio or Rest
Thurday - Back/Bis
Friday - Legs

I'm putting Lleg on Friday cause SLDLs seem to hit my lower back quite a bit and if I'm doing regular DLs on Tuesday I would have a couple of days to rest my lower back.

As always, comments and questions are welcome.

ectx
08-23-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by EdgarMex
I don't think it was that much weight (for the leg press anyway) especially since yesterday I read a post of somebody doing 1000 lbs on the leg press. Now that is some serious weight.

From one newbie to another, don't worry about what these other guys are lifting. You're doing great. I know it's hard not to compare your lifts to those of others, but hey, compared to joe shmo, you're out there busting your hump, while joe shmo is drinking beers and getting fat. So that's awesome :cool: Just be the best you you can be at the moment. It's awesome to look into the other journals for inspiration and advice though. Kind of like the fuel and road map for the journey. Keep it up man. :thumbup:

EdgarMex
08-23-2002, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement, I really appreciate it. Like you said, sometimes it's hard not to compare with the people that have been lifting for a long time. Right now I feel pretty good about my poundages, they have improved a lot since I first started a few months ago and I also have seen improvement in the way I look and the way I feel, so it's all good, it's just a matter of patience an hard work.

I've been reading your journal too, even tho I haven't posted there, and it seems like you're doing quite well yourself, so keep up the good work ;) :cool:

EdgarMex
08-23-2002, 10:27 AM
Diet for Thursday Aug. 22

9:15 am 1 scoop of whey mixed with 1 cup of 2% milk and a banana
12:00 pm 1 small apple and about a cup of youghurt
2:30 pm Spaghetti with tomato sauce and chicken flautas (these were pretty good :thumbup: )
7:00 pm 1 can tuna with vegetables and about a cup and a half of coleslaw (I was supposed to have this one at lunch, but my wife went a bit heavy on the spaghetti so I left it for later)
10:00 pm 1 scoop of whey mixed with 1 cup of 2% milk and 1 scoop of oats

Sleep: I didn't sleep well last night, woke up cople of times during the night and didn't go back to sleep right away, then my wife went to the bathroom at 4:30 am and I woke up and could go back to sleep until 5:15, just 15 minutes before the alarm went off, great, huh?

Back and Biceps

10 minutes on escalator
Sit ups with a 10 lbs plate 3x25

Wide Grip Pulldowns
warm up 40lbsx1x15
work 90lbsx2x8

Deadlifts
warm up 70lbsx1x15
work 110lbsx1x9
130lbsx1x8

Bent Over Rows
warm up 50lbsx1x15
work 110lbsx2x7

DB Rows
warm up 30x1x15
work 60x2x8

DB Shrugs
work 60lbs(each)x2x10

Preacher BB Curls
warm up 30lbsx1x15
work 50lbsx2x8

Alternating DB Hammer Curls
warm up 20lbsx1x15
work 30lbsx2x8

Today's workout pretty good. I was a bit tired by the time I finished, but it felt really good. I used a bit more weight on deadlifts than last week, but it felt good, I think I can still use a bit more weight, I'll give it a try next week with 130 and 150 and see how it goes. The only weird (or maybe stupid) thing happened with the bent over rows. I forgot to bring with them the little table where I write down the weights I use for every excercise and I couldn't remember how much weight I used last week, so I took a guess. For the warm up I used the same weight, which was ok, but for the work sets I used 110 lbs, 40/30 lbs more than I used for the first/second set last week! When I started it felt a bit heavier than usual and I could barely do 7 reps. I was completely out of breath when I finished the first work set and it took me a few minutes to be ready for the second set. On the second set I could do only 7 reps again. I was like, "wtf is going on? Last week I did 9 reps" When I got home I checked the weight I used last week and I found the reason I almost crapped my shorts doing the bent over rows. I guess sometimes it's not a bad thing when something like that happens, now I know what weight I should be using :D

I've been giving some thought to what I posted yesterday about changing my routine and decided I'm going to stick to what I doing right now for a few more weeks. I've only been witrh this routine for a couple of weeks, so I'll give it another 4-6 weeks and then I'll decide if I should make any changes.

Weight went up abou half pound this week, I'll have my wife take my measures again this weekend and see if there were any changes comparing to those she took a couple of weeks ago.

Also, I was noticing this morning that my left upper arm is noticeably bigger (at least to me, I didn't dare to tell my wife about it, she already says I'm paying way too much attention to the way I look "You don't have another woman, right?"). I guess it is because my left arm is the weaker and it's getting a harder workout than the right one, so I was thinking about doing DB curls instead of BB curls and throwing 2-3 more reps on the right arm at the end for while to see if the difference in size gets smaller. You think that's a good idea?

Well, the weekend is almost here and that means no gym, I'll try to keep my diet in check (Saturday is not to bad since I work most of the day, but Sunday, well that's another story) and not to pig out like I used to, seriously, I will really try :D

EdgarMex
08-26-2002, 11:51 AM
Diet on Friday went pretty much like the rest on the week (which is a good thing). On Saturday it was ok, tho I only had 4 meals instead of the usual 5 or 6. There was some drinking on Saturday night, nothing too heavy, just a few large scredrivers and a shot of tequila on my way out of the party, got home aroun 1:30 in the mornig. Woke up around 6:30 with a big ass headache, so I took a couple of Advil and went back to sleep. Woke up again around 9 feeling much better. Diet was as bad as it could have been, only two fat-filled meals, but damn they were good, so who cares, lol

Bad note on Sunday was that I was starting to develop a cold, which felt worse that it should have due to the fact that I was a bit hungover, so around noon I took a couple of pills, but that made turn down free beer during the evening (Yeah, I know, what a waste)

Today I was back at the gym, Back-Shoulders-Triceps day

Treadmill 10 mins

Sit-ups with 10lbs plate 3x25

Bench Press

warm up 70lbsx1x15
work 120lbsx1x9
130lbsx1x8

Incline DB Bench Press

warm up 20lbsx1x15
work 50lbsx2x8

Incline DB Fly

work 30lbs (Each DB)x2x9

Arnold Press

work 40lbs (each DB)x2x7

DB Lateral Raises

work 20lbs (each DB)x1x8,9

Close Grip Bench Press

warm up 40lbsx1x15
work 70lbsx2x8

Skullcrushers

warm up 30lbsx1x15
work 60lbsx2x8

Comments: Today's workout was ok, but not as good as other days. I wasn't feeling well at first and for a while I feel my heart was beating faster than normal. Bench press was good, I threw 10 more lbs on the second work set and it went good. On the incline DB press I was supposed to use 40 lbs DBs, but somebody else was using the only pair there is at the gym (that realy sucks, from 25 lbs and up there only one pair of each weight, and from 30 and up they go in 10lbs increments instead of 5s) and since there are no 45s I thought f*ck it, I'll try the 50s. First work set was ok, heavier than usual, but I manage to do 8 decent reps, rested a couple of minutes and everything was ok so far. I grabbed the DB and brought them up to my shoulders for the second set, but when I tried to push them up I only got half way, I brought them down to my shoulders and gave it another go, but only got half way again. I put them down on the the floor and rested a few more minutes and gave it another try. This time everything went fine and I did the full 8 rep set. On the Arnold presses I could only do 7 reps on each set with the 40 lbs DBs, I guess those 50s on the incline DB press left me a bit more tired than I thought. CGBP went fine even after I upped the weight from last week. I'll make a note to do skullcrushers before CGBP next week. My tris were to tired after the CGBPs and I barely managed to finish both sets of skullcrushers.

EdgarMex
08-27-2002, 12:25 PM
Diet for Monday Aug. 19

5:30 am 2caps Ripped Fuel, bowl of cereal with 2% milk,
11:30 am 1 small apple and about 2 cups of yoghurt
2:30 pm Rice and I don't know what's it called, but it had zuchinni (sp?), corn, tomato, onion, sour cream and I'm not sure what else
6:45 pm 2 cups of coleslaw
10:00 pm 1 and a half scoop of whey mixed with 1 and a half cup of 2% milk and 2 slices of brad with peanut butter.

Sleep: It was ok, about 6 hours, but last night was damn hot, woke up around 2:30 am abd ny t-shirt was soaked, just like when I'm at the gym.

15 min on escalator
3x30 sit-ups with a 10lbs plate
4x20 vertical leg raises
15 min on escalator
3 Super sets of:
20 laying hip raises
20 laying leg raises

General comments: Today I had to cut my workout a bit short because I had to go and fix my cousing computer before going to work (the lazy bastard did't want to take it to my shop, so I had to go to his house). Now that kids are back to school the gym is getting crowded almost every morning and it's getting quite annoyiong. Today I had to wait for a bench to do my leg raises. I think I should start looking for another gym, preferrably a bigger one and with a good hottie selection. There are a couple more gym very close to where I live, I'll check them out during the week.

EdgarMex
08-28-2002, 11:45 AM
Diet for Tuesday Aug. 27

7:30 am 1 and a half scoop of whey mixed with 1 and a half cup of 2% milk and a banana.
11:30 am 1 small apple and some yoghurt
2:30 pm Steamed rice and breaded fish fillet
6:45 pm 1 can tuna with vegetables
9:00 pm 1 and a half scoop of whey mixed with 1 and a half cup of milk and 2 slices of bread with peanut butter and jelly

Sleep: Was ok, about 6 hours

Legs

10 minutes on escalator
Sit-ups with 10 lbs plate 3x25

Squats
warm up 110lbsx1x15
work 180lbsx1x9
200lbsx1x8

Leg Press
warm up 270lbsx1x15
work 500lbsx1x9
520lbsx1x8

Leg Extension
warm up 25lbsx1x15
work 50lbsx1x8
50lbsx1x10

Leg Curl
warm up 25lbsx1x15
work 45lbsx2x8

BB SLDL
warm up 70lbsx1x15
work 110lbsx2x8

Seated Calf Raise
135lbsx3x20

Comments: I really felt today's workout on my legs, when I left the gym I probably looked like a new born horse trying to stand up. The squats warm up set was a bit higher than usual cause another guy was using the squat rack and that was what he had on the bar for his last set. I decided to put 20 more lbs on the last work set and it went fine. I did the same for the leg press and it went good too. I'm sure tomorrow my legs are going to be quite sore. I'm thinking about either skipping deadlifts on friday or going lighter than last week, my lower back is still a bit sore, especially after today's SLDLs.

galileo
08-28-2002, 12:33 PM
Do you do your squats a-to-calves?

EdgarMex
08-28-2002, 12:48 PM
No, I only go down to parallel, and sometimes an inch or two above parallel

galileo
08-28-2002, 01:10 PM
Try them a-to-calves!

EdgarMex
08-28-2002, 01:12 PM
I will give it a try next week

EdgarMex
08-29-2002, 11:10 AM
Diet for Wednesday Aug. 28

5:30 am 2 caps Ripped Fuel, bowl of cereal with milk
8:00 am 1 and a half scoop whey, 1 and a half cup of milk, 1 banana
11:00 am 1 small apple
2:30 pm Rice and chicken breast with mushrooms (yummy!!!)
7:00 pm 1 can of tunna and vegetables
10:00 pm 1 and a half scoop whey, 1 and a half cup of milk and a ham and cheese sandwich

My legs are really sore today, so I took a break (yeah, another break) and didn't do my cardio session, I don't think it would have lasted much anyway, so it was better to stay in bed. From what I've seen last week and this week, the leg workout not only kills me for the rest of the day, but also for the following day, so starting next week I'm switching back and legs. I'll do back on wednesday and legs on friday, so I'll be able to do my thursday cardio session. I doesn't really matter if my legs are sore on Saturday since I never workout on Saturday or Sunday

EdgarMex
08-30-2002, 11:15 AM
Diet for Thursday Aug. 29

9:00 am 1 and half scoop of whey mixed with 1 and a half cup of milk and a banana
11:30 pm 2 cups of youghurt
2:30 pm Steamed rice with corn, a little chivken with mushrooms and some beef with barbecue sauce (really nice meal today)
9:00 pm 1 and half scoop of whey mixed with 1 and a half cup of 2% milk

Sleep: It was ok, but a bit short, stayed a bit late watching a movie

Back and Biceps

10 minutes on escalator
Sit ups with a 10 lbs plate 3x25

Bent Over Rows
warm up 70lbsx1x15
work 100lbsx2x8

DB Rows
warm up 30x1x15
work 60x2x9,8

Wide Grip Pulldowns
warm up 40lbsx1x15
work 90lbsx2x9

V-Bar Pulldowns
warm up 40lbsx1x15
work 90lbsx1x10
100lbsx1x9

DB Shrugs
work 60lbs(each)x2x10

Standing DB Curls
20lbsx1x15
30lbsx1x8

Standing DB Hammer Curls
30lbsx2x8

Today's workout was a bit weird. When I started my stomach was a bit uncomfortable, like I had some air in it and it bother me for about half my workout. After doing the abs work I had to star with rows because there was somebody at the lat pulldown. I wanted to do a set of shrugs with 70lbs DBs, but then I found out that there from 60 lbs and up they go in 20 lbs increments (as in 60s, 80, 100s) which suck cause I can't hold on to the 80 for more than a few seconds (I tried them, but no go) and all the BBs were busy at that moment. The to top things off, when I was going to do curls my arms were feeling a bit tired and I struggled to complete all my sets, even tho I didn't do warm up sets. Also (yeah, there's more) I'm not sure if it will be a good idea to move the legs workout to Friday, the squat rack and the leg curl machine were busy all the time I was at the gym today and I don't think I will like to have to wait to use either of them on my leg day. And the worst thing is that most people at the gym use sissier weight than I do and do hundreds of sets of each excercise. I guess I'll have to suck it up for now until I find a new gym. I hope I'll have a chance to check out at least another gym tomorrow. Damn this is getting so annoying. :mad:

EdgarMex
09-02-2002, 01:10 PM
Diet on Friday went pretty much like the rest on the week (which is a good thing). On Saturday it was ok, tho I only had 4 meals instead of the usual 5 or 6. Diet was not too bad on sunday, tho I had only 3 meals

Chest-Shoulders-Triceps

Escalator 10 mins

DB Bench Press

warm up 25lbs (each DB)x1x15
work 50lbs (each DB)x1x9

Comments: This is where the day started going bad. For flat bench I like using a BB, but just as I was finishing my last set of sit ups some idiot started doing curls at the bench with the olympic bar. :tuttut: That's why today I did DB presses. Then, when I was in the middle of my second set another guys comes from behind me and says "hey dude" and at the same time pats my arm while I was pushing the f***in' DB up!! I was like "WTF is wrong with this guy", it totally broke my concentration and I barely could finish the set. I was was this close to throwing the DB at this guy when I finished the set. So this was just the perfect start for a bad day :mad:

Incline DB Bench Press

warm up 20lbsx1x15
work 50lbsx2x8

Comments: Today I used the same weight as last week, but it didn't tire me as much as it did last week, maybe cause the total weight of the DB I used today was lower than the total weight I used last with (with the BB)

Incline DB Fly

work 30lbs (Each DB)x2x9

Comments: It went ok, but I'm thinking about moving to 40s (no 35s at my gym remember?), I'll give it a try next week

Arnold Press

work 40lbs (each DB)x2x8

Comments: It was not as hard as it was last week, but I still struggled on the last couple of reps of each set

DB Lateral Raises

work 20lbs (each DB)x2x8

Seated DB Lateral Raises

work 20lbs (each DB)x21x8

Comments: These two went ok, tho the seated raises were new for me

Skullcrushers

warm up 30lbsx1x15
work 60lbsx2x8

Close Grip Bench Press

warm up 40lbsx1x15
work 70lbsx2x8

Comments: Triceps work was fine, tho I'm thinking about dropping the warm up sets on these two

Comments: Like I said before, today was a pretty bad day at the gym, the workout was ok, no increase in weights but it felt good. What sucked was not being able to use whatever equipment I wanted to use. I know I have ranted a lot about this lately, but I hate when the gym gets crowded and the equipment I need is not available. This morning I went to check out another gym on my way to work. I looks pretty good, large place, lots of equipment :thumbup:. According to what the girl there told me, at the time I was there was busier than at the time I usually go and it didn't seem crowded, so that's :thumbup: . it's a bit more expensive that the gym I'm going to now but I think it's worth paying more. The only bad thing is that it's a 15 min. drive insted of a 5 min. walk, but I think I can do it without much of a problem, maybe just get out of bed about 10 min. earlier than now. Tomorrow I'll check out another gym that is closer to my place and see if it's a better choice. I'd like to be able to switch gyms by next monday at the latest.

EdgarMex
09-03-2002, 01:11 PM
Diet for Monday Aug. 19

5:30 am 2 caps Ripped Fuel, bowl of cereal with 2% milk,
8:30 am 1 and a half scoop of whey mixed with 1 and a half cup of 2% milk and a banana.
12:00 am 1 can of tuna and vegetables
3:00 pm Fried rice and breaded chicken breast
10:00 pm 1 and a half scoop of whey mixed with 1 and a half cup of 2% milk and 2 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches

Sleep: Okie, it was a bit hot during the night tho

20 min on escalator
4x30 sit-ups with a 10lbs plate
3 Super sets of:
20 leg tucks
20 laying hip raises
20 laying leg raises
15 min on escalator
4x20 vertical leg raises
3x15 of another excercise I don't know the name

General comments: I'm starting to think I'm not eating enough, probably I should eath a bit more on the 11-12 and 6-7pm meals, I'll see what I can work out, since at those times I'm at work. I checked out another gym this morning, this one is closer to home and within walking distance, but a bit more expensive than the one I checked out yesterday and I think the one I went to yesterday has more equipment. There's another gym I'm going to check out tomorrow.

Tomorrow is leg day and at galileo's suggestion I'm going to go lower on squats, and because of that I'm going to use lower weight than I have been using so far, I'm thinking about 60 or 70%, wish me luck.

EdgarMex
09-04-2002, 11:10 AM
Diet for Tuesday Sept. 3

7:45 am 1 and a half scoop of whey mixed with 1 and a half cup of 2% milk and a banana.
11:30 am 1 apple
2:00 pm Spanish rice and chilaquiles (diced tortilla in a red pepper sauce topped with shredded cheese) and a three chicken breast nuggets (real chicken, not the McDonalds kind, lol)
9:00 pm Three slices of pepperoni pizza

Sleep: About 6 hours, but woke up a couple of times during the night

Legs

5 minutes on treadmill

Squats
warm up Empty barx1x15
70lbsx1x15
work 120lbsx1x9
170lbsx1x8

Comments: Last week after I posted my leg workout, galileo suggested to go lower on squats (ass to calves), so I thought I'd give it a try today. I have never gone that low, so I did a set with an empty bar to get a hang of it and make sure I was taking the appropiate stance. I liked the way it felt doing them this way, I felt them more on my quads, especially when going back up and I felt there was less stress on my knees. I use less weight than usual, but I'll bring it up a bit more in next work out until I get back to the usual weight.

Leg Press
warm up 270lbsx1x15
work 520lbsx2x10

Comments: Reps went up on the press, so next week I'll throw some more weight and see how it goes. The first work set was particularly hard at the end, my guess is I didn't rest enough before the warmup set and before the first work set.

Leg Extension
50lbsx1x10
55lbsx1x9

Comments: I had to take a break of about 7 or 8 minutes after the leg press, I was almost completely out of breath. I did both sets of leg extensions with a very short break in between them. It felt pretty good.

Leg Curl
work 45lbsx1x8
50lbsx1x8

BB SLDL
work 120lbsx2x9

Seated Calf Raise
135lbsx4x20

General Comments: I liked the way it felt going lower on the squats, so I'll continue to do them that way and try to go slowly back to the same weight I was using. Starting today I'm going to start dropping the warm up sets for most excercises, but I'll continue doing warm ups for the big ones. I don't think I need to do warm ups after the first excercise of the work out, which is usually a big one (bench press, squats), and I think that'll probably allow me to use a bit more weight and up the intensity on the work sets, not to mention shortening the total time of the work out. Today I was done in about an hour and 15 minutes, a good 15 minutes less than the usual.

EdgarMex
09-06-2002, 12:03 PM
Since my diet doesn't vary much from day to day, (except on Sundays, when my wife seems to enjoy messing up my diet :p ) I'm not going to be posting it anymor, unless there's a significant change to it. (Yeah, I know, I'm getting lazy, lol)

Back and Biceps

10 minutes on escalator

Dealifts
warm up 70x1x15
work 120x1x8
140x1x8

Comments: Deads are back! Yeah, baby! lol, after a one week rest from deads, I did them again and upped the weight a tad. From now on I'll be doing deads on alternate weeks to be easy on my lower back while I continue getting used to working it out more than I used to.

Bent Over Rows (Yates Rows?)
warm up 70x1x15
work 100x1x9
110x1x8

Comments: This week I used an underhand grip and it seems to hit the lats a bit harder than the overhand grup, so I'm going to stick with this grip for a few weeks and see what results I get.

DB Rows
60x3x8

Comments: I think I need to up the weight a bit on these, but my gym doesn't have 65 ot 70 lbs DBs, so I'm thinking about trying Meathead Rows, I mean Belial Rows (lol), with the EZ curl bar. I can picture the funny looks I will be getting next week.

Wide Grip Pulldowns
100x2x9

Comments: I dropped the warm up set on pulldowns and I could squeeze an extra rep on both sets with 100 lbs. I probably should start doing some pullups to eventually replace pulldowns since the weight stack on the lat tower only goes to 120 or 130 and I think it will only take me a few weeks to hit that weight. Before I started this routine I was using 60s andsometimes 70s.

BB Shrugs
120x1x10
140x2x8

Comments: Today I used a BB instead of DBs for shrugs (no trap bar at the gym :( ). My grip isn't very strong and my hands were getting more tired than my traps. I read several post where people complain about sack scrapping when using a BB for shrugs so I was a bit reluctant, but all three sets went pretty good (I guess not having big nuts can be good sometimes, lol) and my hands seem to tire less from holding the BB even tho the total weight was a bit higher on two of the sets than the combined weight I was using before, so I'll stick with the BB.

Standing DB Curls
20x1x10
30x1x8
40x1x4
40x1x7

Comments: this was the only bad part of today's workout. First, I wasn't supposed to do a warm up set for bis, but I didn't check my weight table (where I write down the weight I use every week) and I picked the 20s. They felt kinda light so I finished the set and then tried the 30s. They were ok, but I felt like I could lift more weight so I thought "what the hell, I'll do an extra set". I picked the 40s and started my set, I was feeling pretty good, nice pump and everything, then this a-hole comes to the DB rack to put back his DB and gets right in front of me, forcing me to stop the set cause I couldn't lift the damn DB cause he was right in front of me (I gladly would have hit him, but I refrained from doing so). I gave him a nice lecture on wating until people finish a set before interrupting and he was like "Oh, I'm sorry, my bad" and I said "Well, dude, yourbad just f*cked up my sed and I'll have to do it again". He left right away went to the opposite side of the gym to continue pretending that he was working out. Then I go back to the last set but my arms were a bit tires so I just completed 6 and half reps.

Standing DB Hammer Curls
40x2x8

Comments: Went ok, arms were a bit tired after the mess with the DB curls, no warm up, higher weight.

I've been ranting lately about my gym cause it's been getting a bit crowded at the time I work out. I've been chekling out other gyms and I like the first one I visited. It seems to be the largest and to have the better equipment selection, both in quantity and variety, it's also the one with the lowest fee, which is a major plus, with the only drawback that I will have to drive to get there, but I can live with that. I wanted to switch gyms next week, but since this weekend I'll buy myself my birthday present (a nice MP3 player to avoid listening to the crappy music they have at the gym and which will also help to keep people from wanting to talk, I hope) I'll have to wait at least a couple more weeks, depending on how business go. I'll post when I do the switch.

EdgarMex
09-09-2002, 11:40 AM
Chest-Shoulders-Triceps

Escalator 10 mins

BB Flat Bench Press

warm up 80lbsx1x15
work 140lbsx2x8,7

Comments: Bench was great, today I increased the weight both the warmup and works sets and it went well, even tho I only could do 7 reps on the second work set

Incline DB Bench Press

warm up 25lbsx1x15
work 50lbsx2x10,9

Comments: Warm up was with a slightly bigger weigth and reps went up in both work sets

Incline DB Fly[B]

warm up 20lbsx1x15
work 40lbsx2x8

[B]Commvents: 30s were starting to feel a bit light so I went for 40s today and it was great. I could barely do all 8 reps on each set, got a nice burn

Arnold Press

40lbsx2x10,9

Comments: Skipped wamup set and reps went up on both work sets

DB Lateral Raises

20lbsx2x10,8

Comments: No warm up se here either, reps went up on first set

Seated DB Rear Lateral Raises

work 10lbsx2x12

Comments: I think rest between these and the ones befor was too short, 20s felt to heavy, I thought of using 15s, but surprise surprise, somebody else was using them, so I went with them but did 12 reps on each set.

Skullcrushers

warm up 30lbsx1x15
work 60lbsx2x8

Comments: Forgot I was not supposed to do a warm up set and did it, other that that it wen OK.

Close Grip Bench Press

work 70lbsx2x9,8

Comments: Went ok, but after I was done my tris felt like the were going to explodes, arms and hands were shaky for a while.

General Comments: As it was planned, last saturday I got my MP3 player. Workout went pretty good and I was in a very good mood having whatever music I wanted to listen to instead of the shiatty radio station the play at the gym. Nobody disturbed my workout with unnecessary talking wich was pretty good too, so I'm very happy for now. Gym wasn't crowded, which is good too.

EdgarMex
09-10-2002, 12:54 PM
First and foremost :birthday: :clap: :birthday: :clap: :birthday: :clap: :birthday: :clap: :birthday: to ME. I hit the big 3-0 today, which I'm still not sure if it's a good or a bad thing (j/k)

Now with that out of the way, today cardio/abs workout was a bit short due to time constraints (had a bunch of stuff to do before coming over to work)

15 minutes on escalator
3x25 sit ups with 10lbs plate
4x20 vertical leg raises
15 minutes on escalator
3 supersets
leg tucks
laying hip raises
laying leg raises

And that was about it for today's workout. My chest is a bit sore from yesterday, but it's ok, I have been a lot more sore at other times, We'll see how the leg workout goes tomorrow.

ectx
09-10-2002, 11:51 PM
Happy belated Birthday Edgar. Hope you had a great one. Go buy yourself a drink, and put it on my tab. :D

Franjipani
09-11-2002, 01:12 AM
:birthday:

30 huh??? Whoooooa you are sooo over the hill;)

Hope you had a lovely day ??

EdgarMex
09-11-2002, 01:47 PM
Thanks ectx and Franji for you happy b-day wishes :)

Today's workout:

Legs

10 minutes on escalator

Squats
warm up 90lbsx1x15
work 160lbsx1x9
180lbsx1x7

Comments: Deep squats again. Since I'm a bit more comfortable with them I ditched the warmup set with an empty bar. Upped the weight on all three sets. On the last one I only could do 7 reps and I was a bit dizzy after I finished the set.

Leg Press
warm up 270lbsx1x15
work 520lbsx1x10
540lbsx1x8

Comments:[B] Leg press felt great, even after I threw and extra 20 lbs on the last set :thumbup:

[B]Leg Extension
55lbsx1x12
65lbsx1x10

Comments: No warmup and used the highest weight from last week. I was able to do 12 reps, so on the second set I increased the weight by 10 lbs instead of the usual 5 and even so I was able to do 10 reps. I'll have to start with a heavier weight next week.

Leg Curl
50lbsx2x9,7.5

Comments: Used highest weight from last week on both sets, but on the second set I couldn't do the full ROM on the last rep. Hams felt quite pumped

BB SLDL
110lbsx1x9
130lbsx1x8

Comments: Didn't use the same weight on the first set cause my hams were feeling a bit tired, but I was able to do 9 reps so I incresed the weight on the second set. It hit my lower back quite a bit even tho I tried to keep my back as straight as possible.

Seated Calf Raise
135lbsx4x20

General Comments: Gym was a bit crowded today again but didn't have any problems to do my excercises when I wanted and with the equipment I need, so that was good. Work out in general felt very good, I could barely walk back home after I was done and whe I eventually got there I laid on the bed for about half an hour before jumping, no, that's not really what I did, a more accurate way to say it would be "before dragging my ass to the shower". After that my legs were feeling better, but I'm sure I'll be sore as hell tomorrow. My chest is still a bit sore from Monday's workout, especially my "upper chest" lol.

EdgarMex
09-12-2002, 10:06 AM
After skipping cardio workouts on Thurdays for three weeks in a row due to extra sore legs, this week I decided to take it like a man and go to the gym sore legs or not.

15 minutes on escalator
3 supersets
Sidebends with 20 lbs DBs x 50
Situps with 10 lbs plate x 25
Abs wheel x 20
15 minutes on escalator
4x20 vertical leg raises
4x25 laying leg raises

It seems that the workout help with the soreness. My legs aren't as sore as when I first go out of bed and they only hurt for the first few minutes on the escalator, so I guess I won't have an excuse anymore to skip the Thursday's workouts :)

ectx
09-12-2002, 12:08 PM
Yeah Edgar, had I noticed this before I would have told you to suck it up! :D A good cardio session the day after legs always helps me with soreness. I believe the increased circulation helps flush out the lactic acid. I also have some of the best runs a day or 2 after leg day. Go figure. Now suck it up. :p

EdgarMex
09-12-2002, 01:13 PM
I had been skipping the cardio session after leg day because I thought it would make my legs more sore (they're usually sore for 2 or 3 days), but last night I thought og giving it a try. After a few minutes into the workout I noticed not only that my legs didn't hurt as bad as I thought, but that they hurt less than when I got to the gym. So from now on no more skipping cardio after leg day :)

EdgarMex
09-13-2002, 11:30 AM
Back and Biceps

10 minutes on escalator

Bent Over Rows
warm up 70lbsx1x15
work 110lbsx2x10,9

Comments: This went pretty good, reps went up, so next week I'll increase the weight.

Belial Rows
70x3xL7-R6, L8-R7, L7-R8

Comments:[B] I decided to try these because there are no 70 lbs DBs at my gym and I wanted to increase the weight since I've been using 60s for a while. Things went horrible, I was having a hard time trying to balance the bar. At first I thought that was was was causing me not to be able to do full ROM, but thinking about it a bit more I guess it was because I didn't take into account the weight of the bar (what is it, 10-15 lbs?), so the problem was most likely that I was using too much weight (which was why I didn't want to use the 80 lbs DBS). So in the end I looked like and idiot and on top of that I couldn't get the excercise right. I think next week I'll do a couple of sets with the 60s with a few more reps and then on with the 80s and see if I can handle them. Anyway at the end of the last set I was majorly pissed at myself and it kinda f***ed up my mood for the rest of the work out :(

[B]Wide Grip Pulldowns
100lbsx2x10,9

Comments: Dropped the warmup set, increased weight by 10 lbs, reps stayed over 8, so weight probably should go up next week.

V-Bar Pulldowns
110lbsx2x9,8

Comments: These felt pretty good, increased weight from too weeks ago. For some reason pulldowns with the V-bar seem to hit my lats harder than wide grip, but I'll continue to do both.

BB Shrugs
140lbsx1x10
150lbsx2x10,9

Comments: Another increase in weight, reps a bit high, but I'm struggling here with my grip, that's why I only did 9 reps on the last set

Standing DB Curls
30lbsx2x8,9

Comments: When I started these I noticed some soreness on my right shoulder (not pain in the joint, but in the muscle, lower part of the side delt), which I guess was caused by my f***ed up Belial rows, but both sets went good, nice pump, too bad there are no 35 DBs cause I think I could handle them ok, so I'll stick with the 30s for one or two more weeks before hitting the 40s

Standing DB Hammer Curls
30lbsx2x8,10

Comments: This went good too, break between sets 1 and 2 was a bit longer and I could squeeze 10 reps on the last one.

General comments: Well, even tho most of the workout went pretty good on my way home I was really pissed at myself because of the disaster with Belial rows. They went pretty bad, I think there should have been a bit more planning, and also because by forcing myself too much to get them right I hurt my shoulder (nothing bad, I think I just need some rest over the weekend). Another thing that puzzled me is that I went up from 184 lbs to 186 in one week and I don't think I put that much muscle on in one week. Over the last three month I had been dropping weight at about 1 pound per week, then for the last few weeks I stay between 185 and 184. Last week I was 184 and then today it turns out I'm back at 186. Next week I'll watch more carefully my diet and will increase time and intesity on the cardio workouts and see what happens.

EdgarMex
09-17-2002, 10:39 AM
Yesterday I didn't post my workout cause it was Mexico's Independence Day and I took the day off from work, so today I'm posting yesterday's and today's workouts

Monday
Chest-Shoulders-Triceps

Escalator 10 mins

BB Flat Bench Press

warm up 70lbsx1x15
work 140lbsx2x9,8

Comments: Bench was ok, used the same weight as last week, but I was having trouble bringing the bar all tha way down to my chest so next week I lower the weight a bit and try to keep form as strict as possible and do full ROM

Incline DB Bench Press

warm up 25lbsx1x15
work 50lbsx2x10

Comments: It went fine, I'm feeling quite comfortalbe with the 50's, but I don't think I can handle the 60's yet, so I'll continue using 50s until I reach 12 reps and then give 60s a try.

Incline DB Fly

40lbsx2x10

Comments: No warmup here, reps went up on both sets, maybe next week I'll use 50s on the second set and see how it goes

Arnold Press

40lbsx2x9,10

Comments: Reps were the same here, but felt pretty good. My shoulders were still a bit sore from Friday's mess, but after the workout were feeling quite good and are not sore anymore :)

DB Lateral Raises

20lbsx2x9,10

work 20lbsx2x8

Triceps

2 Supersets (60lbs on 1st, 70lbs on 2nd)

Skullcrushersx10,8
Close Grip Bench Pressx12,9

Comments: I thought of experimenting here a bit and try a supersetting both tris excercises. I'm seriously thinking of sticking with this. It felt great! Really nice pump

General Comments: Since yesterday was a holiday, most people didn't go to the gym and when I got there it was empty (except for a couple of trainers and the receptionist). Also I went later than usual (stayed late in bed :thumbup:). In general the workout was pretty good. I was a bit concerned about my shoulders but they didn't bother me at all.

Weekend was pretty good too. Watched the De la Hoya-Vargas on Saturday night and had a few beers with my family. The best part was on the way home. My wife was drinking beer too and got a bit drunk. On the way home she fell asleep in the back seat. After a while she suddenly woke up and out of the blu asked "Are we going to stop to get some peanuts?" I told her that I would stop if she wanted me to, then she yells "Hey, stop hogging the peanuts, motherf***ers!" Then she layed on the seat again and fell asleep immediately. It was so funny I was still laughing when we got home.

Tuesday

Cardio Day

13 min. on treadmill (Yay! they finally fixed it)
15 min. on escalator
3 Supersets
50xSidebends with 20lbs DBs
30xSit ups with 10lbs plate
20xabs wheel
10 min. on treadmill
25x3xLaying hip raises
20x3xVertical leg raises

Comments: They finally got the treadmill working again so I thought I would start jogging again. I haven't done it in quite a while and have never been good at it (I don't like running mostly because of my asthma, I run out of air quite fast). I didn't expect to last long, but it went a lot better than I expected and it felt pretty good. It'll be part of my cardio sessions from now on.

EdgarMex
09-18-2002, 10:32 AM
Legs

10 minutes on treadmill

Squats
warm up 70lbsx1x15
work 150lbsx1x10
170lbsx1x8

Comments: Lower weight than last week, lower back was bothering me a bit an did want to stress it too much.

Leg Press
warm up 270lbsx1x15
work 540lbsx1x9,8

Comments: It went ok, same weight on both work sets, got one rep more than last week on the first set. I think I'm going to stick with this weight for a few more weeks ant try to get up to 12 reps before increasing the weight again

Leg Extension

65lbsx3x9

Comments: Added one more set on extension to compensate a bit for the lower weight on squats. Nice burn on the last set.

Leg Curl

50lbsx4x7,9,9,8

Comments: Sin my lower back was a bit uncofortable I decided to drop the SBSLDL, but added a two more sets of curls

Seated Calf Raise
160lbsx4x15

General Comments: I wasn't completely satisfied with today's workout. My lower back started bothering me a bit during the night and it was a bit sore when I got to the gym. I think I spend too much time in bed during the weekend, since on Monday and Tuesday I didn't do any excercises that are too hard on the lower back. On Friday I'm supposed to do deadlifts, but if my lower back keeps feels like today I will skip them this week. A weird thin that I noticed yesterday was that in the morning I was only slightly sore from Monday's workout, but when I got home back from work at night I was significantly more sore and I'm still sore today.

EdgarMex
09-19-2002, 11:22 AM
Cardio Day

12 min. on treadmill
15 min. on escalator
3 supersets
20 x leg tucks
20 x laying hip raises
20 x laying leg raises
10 min. on treadmill
Vertical leg raises 20x4
Sit ups with 10 lbs plate 25x3

General Comments: I was very close to not going to the gym today. My legs weren't too sore (at least not like last week), but I didn't feel like going. I went anyway and the workout went fine, but at the end I was feeling completely drained, I'm not sure if it is because I'm doing some jogging and I wasn't doing it before. Anyway, I'm thinking about taking a week of from training. I have been training for six months with no breaks, except for the ocasional day here and there and I think I might need some rest. I've been sleeping between 5.5 and 6.5 hours per day, I probably have some catch up to do in that department. I haven't made up my mind yet, but if I do take a week off it would be the week after next (Sept 29-Oct 5).

Also I'm going to take a one month break from Ripped Fuel. I've been taking two caps in the morning pre-workout for three months straight. I know I'm going to miss the energy boost, but I don't want to take it for too long without breaks.

EdgarMex
09-20-2002, 02:37 PM
Back and Biceps

10 minutes on escalator
3x15 back extensions

Bent Over Rows

warm up 70lbsx1x15
work 110lbsx1x9
120lbsx1x8

Comments: My lower back hurt a bit while doing them and after I finished. It went away after a while tho. Also I think I was pulling more with the biceps than with the back. Next workout I'll lower the weight to make sure form is as good as possible

DB Rows
60x3x10

Comments: Back to DB rows this week. Surprinsingly the DBs felt lighter than in other workouts, completed 10 reps with less effort than I expected. Too bad the next heavier DB is 80 lbs, I'll probably change these for narrow grip t-bar rows to have a chance to use small increments in weight and not get stuck in the same weight for too long

Wide Grip Pulldowns
110lbsx2x9

V-Bar Pulldowns
110lbsx2x10,9

Comments: These two went fine, same weight as last week and about same reps too

BB Shrugs
150lbsx3x10,10,12

Comments: Same weight as last week, grips felt a bit better but still is the weak point. I was able to do 12 reps on the last set

Standing DB Curls
30lbsx2x8

Standing DB Hammer Curls
30lbsx2x8,9

Comments: By the time I got here my bis were wasted. I had thought of doing supersets for bis, but they felt to tired to even try. Also I was expecting to use 40 lbs DBs but I would have done only a couple reps, so I used 30s. I could barely complete 8 reps on both sets. Maybe it is not such a good idea to do bis with back.

[b]General comments:/[b] I'm starting to worry about my lower back. I thought it would be completely recovered from wednesday's squats by this morning, but it was hurting after the bent over rows. It bugged me for a while, but by the time I was doing pulldowns it wasn't hurting anymore.

I am no completely sure I will take a week off and I'm even considering making it next week, but I'm not sure yet. I guess it will depend on how I feel during the weekend. I'd really like to sleep until late tomorrow morning, but I have stuff to do early before coming to work, so that won't be happening. :(

ectx
09-21-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by EdgarMex
BB Shrugs
150lbsx3x10,10,12

Comments: Same weight as last week, grips felt a bit better but still is the weak point. I was able to do 12 reps on the last set

I had the same problem with SLDL's and I got over it by using a mixed grip (one hand over, one hand under). After that the weight I did shot up. The mixed grip should help with bb shrugs too. I use it and it helps. I've also seen that Belial recomends using chalk if your grip is coming loose. Give either a try and see if helps.

EdgarMex
09-23-2002, 11:28 AM
Chest-Shoulders-Triceps

Treadmill 9 mins

DB Flat Bench Press

warm up 30lbsx2x10
work 50lbsx2x10

Comments: One of the usual curl jockeys was using the bench and the BB, so I had to use DBs. I'm starting to think about switching to DB, I seem to get a better workout with them, probably because of the larger ROM with DBs. Only problem here (and that's why I did 2 warmup sets) was that some stupid motherf***er interrupted me on the warmup set to say goodbye, wtf is wrong with these people :mad:

Incline DB Bench Press

warm up 30lbsx1x15
work 50lbsx2x10

Comments: Went ok, still using 50s and still getting only 10 reps.

Incline DB Fly

40lbsx2x10

Comments: Same as last week, felt nice stretch in pecs

Arnold Press

40lbsx2x10

Comments: I got enough rest afte the flys and pulled 10 reps on both sets, maybe on next workout i can give 50s a try.

DB Lateral Raises

20lbsx2x10

Comments: These went good too, tried to keep arms with very little bend, as recommended on some posts I saw last week

work 20lbsx2x8

Comments: I think I'm using too much weight here and arms are not going as high as they should, will try with 15s next time

Triceps

Supersets (60lbs

Skullcrushersx10
Close Grip Bench Pressx12

Close Grip Bench Press
80lbsx1x10

Seated Triceps Extensions

50lbsx2x10

General Comments: Workout was ok in general, not really anything to comment on it other than what I already said on each excercise.

About the break I was planning, I'm taking next week off, I sure can use the rest after 6 month of working out. I was considering doing some cardio on those days, but I haven't decided, maybe jogging on the treadmill half an hour per day, but I don't know yet.

Last week was the 6th week since switching from high volume workouts to my current routine. I had my wife take some measurements yesterday to compare with the once from 6 weeks ago. On arms and calves there was no changed, except for the right one catching up with the left ones. Chest increased 1 inch, thighs went up about half inch each and most importantly I lost almost an inch at the waist (on where it once was), but there's plenty more to lose there ;) Other than what the measure tape says, I seem a bit leaner, especially on the arms and legs. There's still some fat on my chest, but it looks better and a tad bigger than before. My wife was joking that my boobs are getting bigger than hers. The smartass comment from me was to be expected: "Yeah, but mine are much firmer", her smile faded immediately, lol. My belly is still the problem area, it is getting smaller, but oh so slowly, I guess I'll have to be patient, continue to work hard and try to keep a cleaner diet. This are has improved a lot, but there's plenty of room to improve there. But basically I'm happy with the result I've seem from this change of routine. I really think now that I was overtraining, but I didn't know better and I was just doing as the PT said, but 2 and a half hours a day, 5 days a week was becoming way too much for me. Anyway, I'm happy with the way things are going now, so everything's all good :)

After the week off I'm going to make some changes. For starters, I'm going to stop using Ripped Fuel for about a month. Right now the effect doesn't seem to be the same, so I'm going to use it for the rest of this week, then take my week off and then workout for 3 or 4 weeks without it. Also, on cardio days, I'm going to start doing it on an empty stomach and see how that helps with the weight loss (and from what I've read it should really help).

With regards to lifting, I'm going to change a few excercises for others with similar movement, just to keep thing interesting, and I may switch day for bis and tris and see if that helps with growth.

EdgarMex
09-24-2002, 10:23 AM
Cardio Day

18 minutes on treadmill (1 walk, 6 jog, 3 walk, 6 jog, 2 walk)
15 minutes on escalator
3 supersets
25 x leg tucks
25 x laying hip raises
25 x laying leg raises
15 minutes on escalator
3x25 Sit ups with 10 lbs plate
4x15 vertical leg raises

Comments: For a change today I did cardio on an empty stomach and to get a glimpse of what's the next month going to be like, I didn't take my 2 caps of ripped fuel.

The workout went well, I didn't notice much the lack of the EC on my system, except that I didn't sweat as much as I usually do

EdgarMex
09-25-2002, 10:02 AM
Legs

5 minutes on treadmill

Squats
warm up 90lbsx1x15
work 140lbsx1x12
180lbsx1x8
90lbsx1x15

Comments: My lower back has been feeling good since I have't worked it much in the last few days so I went up to my previous weights for squats. They felt damn good! I even went for an light extra set at the end. The only bad thing was that I ripped my boxer shorts apart on the second rep of the warm up set, lol!

Leg Press
warm up 270lbsx1x15
work 540lbsx2x10

Comments: Press went real good too, reps went up a bit :thumbup:

Leg Extension

65lbsx3x10

Comments: Reps went up here too, felt a nice pump in my quads at the end.

Leg Curl

50lbsx24x10,9

Comments: Went back to 2 sets, reps went up.

SBSLDL

Comments: I was feeling so good I went back to doing SLDL, didn't go too heavy, but they felt pretty good, my lower back didn't bother me at all

Seated Calf Raise
145lbsx4x20

General Comments: I had an awesome worjout today. I left the gym feeling so f***in' good. I'm very satisfied with the way it went. I guess my lower back just needed some rest, today it felt great and it didn't got in the way of my workout. If it feels like this on Friday I'll do some deadlifts, since I didn't do any last week.

EdgarMex
09-26-2002, 12:53 PM
Cardio Day

18 minutes on treadmill (2 walk, 5 jog, 3 walk, 6 jog, 2 walk)
15 minutes on escalator
4x25 Crunches with 10 lbs plate
4x25 x laying leg raises
4x15 vertical leg raises
17 minutes on treadmill (2 walk, 5 jog, 3 walk, 5 jog, 2 walk)

Comments: Another day of experimenting. Took 2 caps of ripped fuel on an empty stomach and went to the gym hoping that my stomach wouldn't give me any trouble (usually when I take ripped fuel on an empty stomach i get heartburn) and it has gone pretty good so far. The workout went well, I spent more time on the treadmill than usual and did less ab work than usual. I think I'm going to stick with this kind of workout while I get rid of my belly and then I will increase the ab work. Also I hope with time I can increase the time I can jog, right now it feels like very little time. I did some crunches today (never done them before), I'll probably replace full situps with crunches for a few weeks.

Tomorrow is my last workout before the break I have planned. Now that my lower back is feeling ok again I've been thinking about not taking the break, but AI'll force myself to do it. It's going to feel weird not going to the gym, but I need to catch up with my sleep time. We'll see how it goes.

EdgarMex
09-27-2002, 01:06 PM
Back and Biceps

5 minutes on escalator

Dealifts

70lbsx15
110lbsx10
130lbsx9

Comments: Deads are back! Yeah! After missing deads last week, I tried them again today and it felt pretty good. I think I could have gone a bit heavier, but I want to take it slow, there's no hurry. I tried a mixed grip and I was expecting it to feel a bit weird, but it worked quite well.

Bent Over Rows

70lbsx1x15
110lbsx1x10
130lbsx1x8

Comments: Rows went good too. I felt them more on my lower back, but not too much. Improved weight from last week by 10 lbs.

DB Rows
80x3x5,6,6

Comments: This was the highlight of my workout. I decided to give 80s a try after being stuck with 60 for a while (there are no 70lbs DBs at my gym tuttut), and surprisingly (at least to me) I was able to do 5 reps on the first set and 6 reps on the other 2 sets. Looks like things are starting to go better than I was expecting. Go Me!!! lol

BB Shrugs
160lbsx3x10,12,15

Comments: Improving here too, up 10 lbs from last week. I was supposed to try a mixed grip here (as recommended by ectx last week), but I forgot (duh!!) I guess I was still too excited from the results on the DB rows, but I noticed grips is starting to improve (15 reps on the last set!). I continue to increase weight every week on these and I'm thinking about doing some static holds too.

Standing DB Curls
40lbsx8
30lbsx11

Standing DB Hammer Curls
40lbsx8
30lbsx9

Comments: When I was deciding wheter to use 30s like last week or try 40s I noticed my bis didn't feel as tired as they do other times after the back excercises. After I started doing the first set it hit me: I didn't do the pulldowns before shrugs! So I went for 40s, but I could barely finish the first set and form was getting bad, so the second set I used 30s. Same for hammers.

Wide Grip Pulldowns
100lbsx2x9,10

Comments: Better late than never, this time I did pulldowns after doing bis. I lowered the weight by 10 pounds because my bis were feeling real tired. What I noticed was that since my bis were exhausted I was pulling harder with my back.

General comments: It was a very good workout, and now I'm officially on a break from the gym until Oct 7. When I go back again I'm going to make a few changes to my routine. The biggest change is switching days for bis and tris (bis with chest and tris with back) to hit them harder with direct work bus still hit them indirectly. I have been noticing that when i'm going to do bis and tris they are usually very tired from chest and back work. Also I was a bit disappointed to see that after 7 weeks with this routine ther is virtually no change in size in my arms, tho they look much leaner and defined than they used to, but I want bigger arms, dammit! lol

Well, that's all for today, I'll continue posting next week how I feel and to keep this journal from going to low on the list. Peace.

EdgarMex
10-05-2002, 04:37 PM
Shameless bump, just so I don't have to dig too deep on Monday

EdgarMex
10-07-2002, 12:12 PM
After a full week off, I'm back at training. The break was good, although by Thrusday I was dying to get back in the gym. I made some changes to my routine. I'm going to try this for about a month and see how it goes. If like the results I'll stick to it. New routine will be more like WBB1:
Mon Chest-Back
Tue Cardio
Wed Legs
Thu Cardio
Fri Arms and Shoulders

Also, at least this week and the next, I will no be taking Ripped Fuel.

Chest/Back

Flat BB Bench Press
70x15
110x11
130x8
130x7

Incline DB Bench Press
50x7
50x8
50x8

Flat Db Fly
40x8
40x9

Assisted Pull ups
3 sets of 10

T-Bar Rows
90x10
90x10
90x10

DB Rows
60x8
60x8
60x8

Shrugs
160x8
160x10
160x11

Comments: It was great to be back at the gym. The workout went very good, tho I noticed a small loss in strength, but I don't think it will take me much to get back to where I was. Working my back after chest was more tiring than I expected, but I can probably get used to it without much problem. My arms were quite pumped at the end of the workout so I think working the arms indirectly on Monday and then hitting them directly on Friday will help growth there (yes, I want big arms)

Pull ups are something new for me. I've did them a few times when I had a PT, but not often. Since the gym doesn't have a machine to do them assisted and I cannot pull my bodyweight yet (189lbs is a bit too much :p ) what I did was bend my knees as if I was kneeling and rest my feet on a bench and it worked quite good, tho I can't do more that 10 pull ups at the moment. I hope it won't take me long to improve in this excercise and be able to do them at full body weight.

EdgarMex
10-08-2002, 02:25 PM
Yesterday was a great day. I went back to the gym and the workout went and felt great, even tho I seemed to have lost a bit of strength due to the week I took off, busines was real good, kept me busy most of the day, and to finish the day off in a good note the Packers beat the crap out of da Bears (yes, I'm a Packer fan!). The only thing that could have made the day even better was some "late nite action" ;) but both my wife and I were tired and I was getting sore form the morning workout already, so I didn't really miss it.

Cardio

15 min. on escalator
22 min. on treadmil (1w, 5j, 2w, 5j, 2w, 5j, 2w)
4x20 crunches with 10 lbs plate
4x20 vertical leg raises
4x20 laying hip raises

Workout went well, tho I was pretty tired at the end, and I was (and still am) quite sore from yesterday's workout, even my arms are sore and they didn't get any direct work.

EdgarMex
10-09-2002, 11:48 AM
Legs

Squats

70x15
110x12
160x10
180x8
90x12

Leg Press

270x15
540x7
540x9
540x8

Leg Curl
50x10
50x9
50x8

SLDL

70x15
140x8
140x9

Seated Calf Raise

135x25x3

Comments: Today's workout was awesome. I wasn't sure how I would fare since on Monday's workout I couldn't do the same rep I was doing before the break, but legs are doing great. On squat I did an extra warmup set and another light set at the end. My quads felt quite pumped after the squat, then on the legs press I did an extra heavy set,but didn't do leg extensions. I think I'll continue this way and get rid of the leg extensions in future workouts. Leg curls and SLDL went pretty good to.

When I got home my legs were fried, I had to lay down for a while before getting in the shower, but I like the way today's workout went. I just hope I'm not too sore tomorrow to do cardio. We'll see.

ectx
10-09-2002, 11:34 PM
Holy sh*t! You're Back!!! :eek:
Glad to see it. I hope your break went well.

Yep, I'd get rid of the extensions if your doing squats. Congrats on your workout. Looks like you had a great leg day. :)

EdgarMex
10-10-2002, 12:44 PM
Hey, there, ec, how's it going, pal? Break was good, but now I'm getting sore as hell the day after lifting, like today, my legs are killing me, I can barely walk, but following your advice from a few weeks back, I did my cardio today. And that actually helped with the sorenes for some time, while my legs were still warm. I feel like when I first started working out, but I'm sure next week won't be so bad.

Cardio

30 min on treadmill (2w,5j,2w,5j,2w,5j,2w,5j,2w)
4x20 Vertical leg raises
4x20 Lying leg raises
4x20 Crunches with 10 lbs plate

[b]Comments: [/c]I wanted to do one more ab excercise, but after barely completing the crunches I was completely wasted, no energy left. I'm sure it was all the time I spent on the treadmill. Never done that much time before, but it was good, t-shirt was soaked with sweat. Like I said before, while I was jogging and walking my legs felt sore, but it wasn't too bad, but right now they hurt quite a bit while I have to stand up and walk. Good thing I'm sitting most of the time.

EdgarMex
10-11-2002, 01:35 PM
Shoulder-Triceps-Biceps

10 minutes on escalator

Arnold Press
20x15
30x12
40x10
40x9

DB Lateral Rises
10x15
15x12
20x9
20x7

Seated Rear Raises
5x15
10x12
15x8
15x8

Skullcrushers
30x15
40x12
45x9

Close Grup Bench Press
70x15
90x10

Seated DB Triceps Extension
40x10
40x10

Standing EZ bar Curl
20x15
40x10
45x10

Seated DB Curl
25x8
25x9

Seated DB Hammer Curl
25x9
25x8

Comments: It felt a bit weird to have a day just for arms (I haven't done arms by themselves in almost 3 months), but the workout was fine. I did a bit more shoulder work than usual because I wasn't sure if I lost strenght there from the break, but it looks like I didn't. The tris work went pretty good too, tho I didn't feel them as tired as I usually felt them after a Chest-Tris day (I don't know yet if that is good or bad). Also, my right wrist was hurting after the skullcrushers and the CGBP didn't help much with that either. With bis, the EZ bar curls were pretty good, I haven't done them in a while so I started low, but I think I could have gone for a few pounds more on the last set. After this my bis were a bit tired and I had to use 25s for the DB and Hammer curls. Overall the workout went well and I think this routine can help me get some size on my upper arms.