PDA

View Full Version : Skim Milk: What Are The Positives And Negatives?

MonStar
08-12-2002, 11:35 PM
It seems that there are positives and negatives to drinking a lot of milk everyday. One of the negatives seems to be the sugar content. There is 12g of sugar for every cup of milk. Milk is fairly low on the glycemic index I believe though.

Is there anything bad about drinking a lot of milk? I probably drink a good 6-10 cups per day.

ericg
08-13-2002, 09:06 AM
Cut back or drop the milk for a couple of weeks and see what it does to you, then you can see for yourself.

hemants
08-13-2002, 09:23 AM
Skim milk is good as long as you can tolerate lactose.

As long as you factor in the carbs you are getting and don't drink 4 cups all at once you are fine.

The way I look at simple carbs that are low glycemic are they are fine but also a missed opportunity to give your body some vitamins, antioxidants, and fibre because you could have substituted another carb source.

As long as your diet is balanced I see no problem even when cutting.

Stray
08-13-2002, 09:39 AM
The automatic sucking machines at dairy farms tend to irritate the sensative skinned teets of the cows so little blisters forms...and when being harvested the blisters pop sending pus into your milk.

It's harmless since its pasteurized and all (probably would be harmless anyways) ...just a little known fact.

Yeah I drink alot of milk still anyhow...I could care less.

ericg
08-13-2002, 10:11 AM
blister juice.....

how many grams of pro per serving is that?

Silverback
08-13-2002, 11:22 AM
im totally with hemants, come on before the days of protein powderand the like milk was the number one supplement, and look at some of the giants that had benefitted; Arnold, Zane, Columbo, Mentzer to name just a few. Even when cutting milk is a great source of fodder.

MonStar
08-13-2002, 12:08 PM
Agreed Big-Ron. Milk was the prime source of protein back in the day. I think that its still a very valuable supplement. I drink a ton each day. Working well as a good protein source I think.

1 cup of milk is:

8g protein
12g carbs
0g fat

Silverback
08-13-2002, 12:23 PM
Yeah, its crazy how people are becoming so intricate, i mean there seems to be so many people with those designer diets intolerance's, e.g. lactose, wheat, sugar etc... where have these come from and why do so many people have them all of a sudden?

beats me.

Puttn
08-13-2002, 04:58 PM
i prefer fat free cottage cheese as its more protein and less carbs and does same thing..plus u can spice up cottage cheese with fruit / salad / salsa just about anything

galileo
08-13-2002, 05:17 PM
Here is my theory which was adapted from other theories:

If you buy Lactaid milk there is bound to be a lot less carbs than in regular skim milk. They add an enzyme which breaks down the lactose in the milk so it virtually has 0 lactose, which is all of the sugar. I can't be sure that the lactose after broken down is or isn't digested as a sugar, but if it works the same as Yogurt, DRINK THE **** UP!

Kromax
08-14-2002, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Puttn
i prefer fat free cottage cheese as its more protein and less carbs and does same thing..plus u can spice up cottage cheese with fruit / salad / salsa just about anything

:withstupi

08-14-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Puttn

me too, except I eat it straight. 1% or 2% when bulking.