PDA

View Full Version : milk and cookies

the_T_man
08-13-2002, 06:05 PM
I usualy eat cookies before i go to bed :) I know cookies arent all that good for me, BUT when I eat the, I drink anywhere from a quart to a halk gallon of milk with them. What I am wondering is...Is the that more a positive thing or a negative thing? Thanks for your help!

GIS
08-13-2002, 06:51 PM
Half gallon of milk in one sitting?

My only concern (for you) would be that there tends to be a lot of sugar in milk as well as in the cookies, so that could possibly lead to a slight increase in body fat especially during sleep when the metabolism is at its slowest.

Otherwise that's a lot of casein in the milk which is a slower digesting protein and perfect before going to bed.

Positive: lots of casein
Negative: lots of sugar

I say who cares. It's not reccomended when cutting but it wont kill you and the protein is good.

LAM
08-13-2002, 06:53 PM
if your goals is to increase your waistline you are on the right track !

1/2 gallon of milk is 96 grams of sugar plus the cookies that you are eating most have about 12-20 grams of sugar per 2 cookies.

so no, it is a very bad idea...

BCC
08-13-2002, 07:00 PM
what are you doing eating cookies...

the_T_man
08-13-2002, 09:08 PM
Don't give me this no milk diet crap. And plus, how many grams are in a cup of milk? 8 grams? And don't forget the calcium! Maybe I'll give up the cookies, but you would have to be a moron to give up milk. I use skim milk too. GIS knows what he's talking about.

Feckless
08-13-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by the_T_man
And plus, how many grams are in a cup of milk? 8 grams?

I think LAM answered this question already, above.

There are 12 grams of sugar in a cup of milk. So that half-gallon you drink before bed has 96 grams of sugar in it, which is about as much as twenty-five Reese Peanut Butter Cups. Maybe you should throw some of those in there, too! :)

If you've budgeted your daily caloric/carb intake to include all that sugar, then I guess it's not that big a deal.

LAM
08-13-2002, 10:21 PM
the_T_man...FYI...when lactose is digested by the lactase enzyme the remaining sugars are glucose and galactose at a 1:1 ratio.

if you think that consuming 50 grams of glucose before bed is beneficial for bb'ing then go ahead. all of those sugars in addition to the sucrose etc. from the cookies that you are eating. skim milk contains the same sugar content as any other type of milk, there is no reduced carbohydrate milk...

Shao-LiN
08-14-2002, 12:20 AM
No one is asking you to give up milk...but the amount of milk you seem to be downing in one sitting (especially before bed) seems a bit excessive.

GIS
08-14-2002, 12:26 AM
Yeah, I agree with everybody about the sheer amount like I sort of expressed in my first post. I say have your cookie or two, a glass of milk, and if you're looking at the milk as a protein source, just get a protein shake and mix it with milk. That will keep the protein up but the protein shake should be reletively low carb but high protein.

A half gallon just boggles my mind... I can't imagine drinking that much at one sitting regardless of sugar.

Puttn
08-14-2002, 06:59 AM
just buy a cookies and cream protein bar :-)

ShallowGrave
08-14-2002, 07:40 AM
if you don't have a problem burning cals I say stick with it...cookies taste good and milk does a body good...tho I'm eating 4000 cals just to maintain the mass I've been able to put on so far...ectos suck

the_T_man
08-14-2002, 08:08 AM
Yeah...I have been doing this for awhile and I haven't had any problems with it. I am not getting fat or anything...I always knew cookies weren't a good idea, so I guess I'll drop them. But I have a fast metabolism and there's no way I am going to drop milk. But What will probably happen now is I won't drink as much milk before bed becasue I won't be as thirsty for it (cuz I ain't got no cookies, yeah..."ain't got no") So that will probably lower my thirst for milk. But I don't get fat very easily.

nejar462
08-14-2002, 08:34 AM
LOL TMAN ARe you like 7 years old? Milk and cookies? Does your mother tuck you in?

Puttn
08-14-2002, 08:50 AM
LoL nejar but hey you cant argue w/ milk and cookies.. if i didnt gain so much off of sweets iw ould eat um too

IceRgrrl
08-14-2002, 10:20 AM
Animal crackers and skim milk! :D

Stray
08-14-2002, 10:34 AM
LOL NEJAR

BennettBoy
08-14-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Puttn
just buy a cookies and cream protein bar :-)

They sure aren't bad are they?:D