PDA

View Full Version : Does too much dextrose cause diabetics?

Victor
08-15-2002, 06:26 AM
This might sound stupid, but since Dextrose is a form of sugar, does it cause diabetics if a person takes too much of it? Or...can it be taken by someone who HAS diabetics?

body
08-15-2002, 12:12 PM
dextorse(glucose) has the highes GI. so will if taken for long time and high does(relative wrods) may help decrease insulin sensitivity and may lead to diabetes.

depends on your prediopostion to it.

as for people with diabetes. they often take dextrose, but this is normally to stop as emergency effort as they have gone to hyper or hypo glyceamic for got which way round. they will take it unless they really need to. its one of the last food they want to take if not hyper or hypo as it will make them go hyper or hypo.

Tryska
08-15-2002, 12:15 PM
hypo (extremely low blood sugar) - add dextrose to increase blood sugar

hyper (extremely high blood sugar) - add insulin to remove sugar from blood

LAM
08-15-2002, 02:12 PM
exercise and a healthy diet is the number #1 solution to Type II diabetics.

Weight training with the additon of cardio adds many health benefits regarding disorders related to insulin and serum glucose. Our insulin senstivity is increased so insulin resistance is lowered. And glucose uptake in increased. Those two factors alone make it very difficult for a "healthy" bb'er to aquire adult-onset diabetes if dextrose or other sugars are used properly...

Fuel
08-15-2002, 02:46 PM
my uncle is a nephrologist for 30 years, said you can't (obvious maybe exceptions) get diabetes from eating too many carbs. only fat gain assoc. with lots carbs can cause diabetes. he usually knows what he's talking about.

prof
08-16-2002, 08:17 AM
so if you have a shake with 5g of glucose and whey protein every few days after training, is this going to be a problem?

body
08-16-2002, 12:35 PM
5 grams is not going to cause a significant problem.

cell-tech has 75 gram per portion.

not sure what the point of having 5 grams of dextrose would be?

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-16-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Fuel
my uncle is a nephrologist for 30 years, said you can't (obvious maybe exceptions) get diabetes from eating too many carbs. only fat gain assoc. with lots carbs can cause diabetes. he usually knows what he's talking about.

I'm sure he does, but how does he explain that rates of diabetes is at it's highest right now?

Nothing to do with the booming candy and cakes and junk foods industries. Oh, no sir-ee...

Fuel
08-16-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

I'm sure he does, but how does he explain that rates of diabetes is at it's highest right now?

well, i'm sure my uncle would say that the answer is number of people overweight is sky high, which leads to diabetes. notice he mentioned the fat gain assoc. with lots of carbs....... his main point was "being overweight will cause it."

which has a larger negative impact on insulin sensitivity, being overweight eating sugar all day, or being lean and muscular and eating sugar all day?

personally, i think body composition is everything, but that's just an intuitive statement. i'm sure there are cases where too much carbs causes diabetes...... just not many.

body
08-17-2002, 06:01 AM
obesity people tend to be less insulin senstive then thineer people. well that one reaosnt hey gain fat easier.

so which came 1ast. being fat or decrease in insulin sensetiveity?

prof
08-19-2002, 03:18 AM
Ok so how much dextrose (g) should you take after training?

Fuel
08-19-2002, 10:27 PM
good point body. i guess you back-tracked the origin one step further.

well, seems that it's all in the same genome that does it to the type II victims.

another question back at ya: what percentage of type II victims are overweight and what percent aren't, fat-wise? if there is a considerable amount of skinny type IIer's, then maybe the root problem is sensitivity and not so much just being fat...... but the fat or insensitive "debate" (if you cold call it that) is kinda new to me. anyone care to elaborate?

when i asked my uncle, i didn't mention sugars and candy/sodas all day, i just quoted him my diet, which is complex/fruit at 350g of carbs a day.

body
08-20-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by prof

how much glycogen have you depleted?

tell me that, then we can give answer.

Puttn
08-20-2002, 07:20 PM
there is no set your not going to get diabetes because you have dextrose post workout because your replacing your glycogen stores... diabetes comes from poor health and over eating simple sugars.. my dad is diabetic and all he has to worry about is carb counting...

Puttn
08-20-2002, 07:21 PM
i want to add taht he has to make sure he has most of his diet from carbs

prof
08-21-2002, 03:27 AM
How much glycogen, hmmmm, no idea, 1hr training 5 mins cardio (100 cals ish) heavy sets to failure, totally wrecked when I leave. Not very accurate tho, About 185lbs @ 12% if that is any help

DcK
08-21-2002, 01:55 PM
so if you have a shake with 5g of glucose and whey protein every few days after training, is this going to be a problem?

This is not going to cause a problem and in no way is this going to cause diabetes in a normally healthy person.

DcK
08-21-2002, 01:58 PM

Prof, check this thread:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18714

body
08-21-2002, 04:55 PM
How much glycogen, hmmmm, no idea, 1hr training 5 mins cardio (100 cals ish) heavy sets to failure, totally wrecked when I leave. Not very accurate tho, About 185lbs @ 12% if that is any help

I do not know the answer. but just making people think before following a supp advert that cliams to be perfect.

plus leg day(high rep squats) will take up a lot more energy than arm day.(low rep preacher curls)

not saying you do that split, but a example