PDA

View Full Version : gaining to much fat

tallnskinny
08-15-2002, 10:48 PM
hey, im currently on a bulking cycle. i was stuck at a weight of 180 for what felt liek forever and im a finaly gaining weight..but it seems to be in the form of fat and not LBM like i desire. idont realy know what im doing wrong..alli hear is that i should be eating alot of carbs whilst bulking and thats what ive done..and of course i eat alot of protien.
well it obvious im doing somethig wrong..should i not eat carbs after a certian time? are there certain types of carbs i shoudl be eating?
most of my cals come from : Milk, meat, bread, a MRP wich i take in the morning and post workout, etc.

any thoughts, as always are appreciated
:help:

Shao-LiN
08-15-2002, 10:53 PM
Complex, low GI carbs..cept for maybe post workout. Stuff like brown rice, wheat pasta, wheat bread, oatmeal, etc...

If you're gaining too much fat, I'd maybe consider lowering your calorie intake.

LAM
08-15-2002, 11:03 PM
lentils, beans and barley are even better as they are true low GI complex carbs they are all less than 35 on the GI.

tallnskinny
08-15-2002, 11:10 PM
so will eating the foods u mentioned for the bulk of my carb intake... burn the excess fat that i have gained lately ? or will it just prevent me gaining much more fat while i bulk

( i know that i must gain a little fat to gain LBM but i want to limit it)

LAM
08-15-2002, 11:58 PM
there are many factors that will ultimately determine how much fat is gained during a bulk. to attempt to control body fat you can increase calories slowly, use mainly low GI comlex carbs and some moderate-intensity cardio after weight sessions, about 20 minutes is enough.

Kromax
08-16-2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by LAM
there are many factors that will ultimately determine how much fat is gained during a bulk. to attempt to control body fat you can increase calories slowly, use mainly low GI comlex carbs and some moderate-intensity cardio after weight sessions, about 20 minutes is enough.

I have the same issues as tallskinny. I've lowered calories, particularly carbs. added 20 minute treadmill sessions after lifting and that still didn't do it. Finally, I began running 5 miles every other day (e.g., lift Monday, run Tuesday, etc.) and still run for 20 minutes after lifting. I've been doing that for about 4 weeks, and have seen some changes.

Some of us just have metabolisms that are tougher to deal with.

My .02

LAM
08-16-2002, 09:13 AM
another thing you can do is figure out the percentage of carbs that you ingest daily that are derived from simple sugars. during a bulk many people go crazy on milk and fruits etc. but those simple sugars add up very quickly and can contribute to excess fat storage.

I wouldn't go over 20%...

Puttn
08-16-2002, 12:35 PM
i suggest eating most of your carbs earlier in the day.. im bulking and i eat lots of lettuce and veggies with my dinner or make tuna salad with mustard instead of mayo... then before i go to bed i have some cottage cheese.. other than that i hardly have more than 45g of carbs past 5 pm

Behemoth
08-17-2002, 06:13 PM
Why would you do cardio during your most catabolic time of the day... post workout?

LAM
08-17-2002, 07:25 PM
Puttn...when bulking there is no reason to limit carb consumption at night. it is the source and serving size of night time carb intake that must be monitored.

TryingToBeBig...doing low to moderate-intensity cardio post workout is not catabolic at all.

Manveet
08-17-2002, 09:25 PM
I think you're worrying too much man. Train hard, eat big, and rest easy. Sometimes even I think I'm putting on alot of fat, then I realise it's just my mind messing with me. If you want, experiment with a bit lower carbs, cut them down by 50-75g at first, see what happens.

Puttn
08-18-2002, 03:02 PM
lam this is true i suppose however.. if i eat a around 300g of carbs in a day i just keep um lower at night.. so i can still gain w/ minimum fat

LAM
08-18-2002, 03:29 PM
read this link...it is a much more "scientific" approach to controlling fat gains while bulking. look at the section on Gaining Mass...

http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/mcdonald/charting-progress-02.htm